Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
sweetmuslimahk1, abu mohammed, Naqshband66, AishaZaynap, Black Turban, Taalibah
2 guests appreciate this topic.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 27th January 2011 09:16
My high school friends told me about Facebook. Since all of them had an account, I decided to create one myself although I was very nonchalant about my account. I had never displayed my pictures on social sites and told myself that I would not display my pictures on Facebook. But then everybody I knew had their pictures on. So, I started uploading pictures, and before I knew it, I had a million pictures of mine there.

What happened next was that brothers I knew started adding me. I was reluctant in the beginning, but a voice inside me told me to grow up and that it was no big deal. The first comment I got was from a brother I studied with - "Nice picture, Maryam." What did he mean by that? I asked myself. Was he being chummy? Honestly speaking, I felt so bad when he wrote that comment on my wall, but then a voice inside my heart told me not to overreact and to show some manners so I thanked him.

I don't know what happened next, but I started following the dunya. The values I stood up for and walked with became obsolete to me. My compromises turned into huge sacrifices. I became so desensitized and immune to the haram that was happening. I forgot that there was a God out there watching me, and I forgot that I was supposed to emulate the best of mankind- RasulAllah salla Allahu 'alayhi wasallam. Random people would message me asking me for friend requests; they said I was "pretty" and they wanted to be friends with me. I even got some proposals on Facebook- can you believe it! And there were lists of stalkers who kept sending me stupid messages and songs on YouTube through fake accounts in my inbox.

Later, when I had pulled back a bit from Facebook, I stopped interacting with a lot of brothers there because a verse from the Quran kept spinning in my head:

I did not create the jinn and mankind except to worship Me. [51:56]

When I woke up from my stupor, I realized that I had become some other Maryam I never wanted to be. I had so many friends, but I was never happy because none of them reminded me of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala. None of them ever told me that displaying my pictures like that or chatting with random people was wrong and against the sunnah. Shaytan loves spreading promiscuity and hates modesty, and somehow I had chosen to follow him instead of following Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala.

Prophet Muhammed salla Allahu alayhi wasallam said:

Modesty is part of faith and faith is in paradise, but obscenity is part of hardness of heart and hardness of heart is in hell. (Ahmad, Tirmidhi)

I had faith, and I was a monotheist. But where was my hayaa, and where were my priorities? I had become a slave of my desires. Islam came to guide man, and here I was in the shackles of my own desires, other people, and the media. Allah, subhanahu wa ta'ala, has said:

"Have you seen him who takes his own lust (vain desires) as his ilah (god)?" [45:23]

In light of this verse, Imam Al-Ghazali said:

"Those who follow their own passions do not conform to monotheism, because anyone who follows his own passions makes them the object of his worship. The monotheist is he who sees nothing but the One God and only turns his face to Him."

I removed all my pictures and changed the privacy settings of my account, but I still felt that my soul was filthy. My heart was hard. Even the Quran failed to penetrate my heart and didn't make me cry anymore. I had everything I wanted, but something inside me was dying. It was my Iman. My Iman was suffocating.

I realized that the only way to purify my nafs was to leave things that distracted me. True, Facebook had its advantages, but for me, it was like alcohol; its detriment was greater than its benefit. So I decided to give it up for the sake of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala. For months I struggled with my decision. It was hard saying goodbye to everyone, but I told them that I would be available by email if they needed me, and I requested them to remove, crop, or blur my pictures from Facebook because a voice inside me said, Maryam your face is precious and only for your hubby to see. Yes, I struggled, and it was hard: I gave up so many things which I feared would not benefit me in the Hereafter. I am still in the process of purifying my heart and always will be inshaAllah because it's a lifelong struggle. Sometimes, things we do seem good to us, but they slowly poison our Iman.

Sheikh Reda Bedier said: "Watch the little things; a small leak will sink a great ship."

You see, sometimes, we have our feet in two separate boats, one which has the flag of our desires on it and the other which says, "I love you, Allah, subhanahu wa ta'ala." It's sad how we juggle between what's necessary and what's not and prefer what our heart desires over what our Khaliq wants us to do. Ustaad Khurram Murad said:

"Your Qalb (heart) cannot be compartmentalized. You cannot dedicate one piece of it to Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala and another to some other god, like wealth, status, career, spouse and so on. Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala is One, Indivisible and wants the human being to be undivided in service to Him. So long as our heart lies in a hundred places, so long as our eyes are set in a hundred directions, so long as we have many loyalties, we shall never be able to achieve that condition of 'holding onto Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala'."

Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala has said:

"O you who believe! Enter into Islam whole heartedly without any reservation." [2: 208]

I want you to know, that if I can do it, then you can too. If you have anything in your heart that perturbs you greatly and it gives you sleepless nights, ask yourself one question: "Am I prepared for my death, my akhirah?" Truth is, nothing in life is guaranteed but death. After deleting my Facebook account and saying goodbye to it for good inshaAllah, I have so much faith in Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala that He will give me a better platform to do dawah, one that will not distract me inshaAllah.

I pray that each and every one of us succeeds in becoming a believing, steadfast servant for Allah's sake. May Allah, subhanahu wa ta'ala, enable us to be amongst those who purify themselves and help us differentiate between right and wrong, Ameen

source: haqq islam
report post quote code quick quote reply
+4 -0Like x 2Winner x 2
Rank Image
London
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 27th January 2011 09:56
MashaAllah.

I hate FARCEbook too. I was with my cousins during the Hoilidays and all they would talk about was social networking. It was really getting on my nerves.

So I got into the conversation and mentioned the popular sites and said, "Did you know that it has become such a huge hit, that their profits are sky high and know they are talking of merging together, it will be one massive social networking site, any ideas what they will be calling it?"

They suggested a few names by mixing and adding the names together, they were having a good time.

Then I said "It IS called FITNAH". That stoped them there instantly.

I spoilt their fun with one word, fitnah. It hitthem hard.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
westmidlands
Sister
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 27th January 2011 10:09
i am not a big fan of face book,it feels like the whole world knows eachothers business basically people even know when you went to the toilet because its all over face book.ya Allah guide the ummah!and the youths and some oldies of this ummah.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 27th January 2011 10:29
There was a brilliant article on the web about how the social network is about gathering every minute detail about a person to build up a profile about them. They know which books they like, showing their interests, they know which foods they like, they know who their friends are, they know where they shop, they know which car you have, they know what subject they like, they know who they like and who they hate. Its a massive profile builder for the government.

They can place some one at a scene just by knowing every thing about them. It may sound wierd, but thats what this article was about, Oh and who runs it all, the formers heads of the CIA and the FBI. Scary stuff. If I find that 10 minute video or article I will post it here InshaAllah.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 27th January 2011 10:42
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 27th January 2011 11:17
I dont trust anything these days...didnt know what facebook was till kids explained it!
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 27th January 2011 11:17
I've added a google link at the bottom of the video in the blogs.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 4th February 2011 23:27

Here are 5 reasons why a Muslim should give up Facebook:

1. Wastes a significant amount of time:

Ibn Al Qayyim (RA) says: "Wasting time is worse than death because death seperates you from this world whereas wasting time seperates you from Allah."

2. Wasting one's youth

The youth is a precious part of one's life that one should devote to Allah:

The Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa sallam) said: "Make the most of five things before five others: life before death, health before sickness, free time before becoming busy, youth before old age, and wealth before poverty." Saheeh al-Jaami'

The Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa sallam) also said: "Lose no time to do good deeds before you are caught up by one of seven calamities awaiting you: a starvation which may impair your wisdom; a prosperity which may mislead you; an ailment which may damage your health; an old age which may harm your senses; a sudden death; the Dajjal; or Doomsday, which is indeed the hardest and most bitter." [at-Tirmidhi]

3. Facebook are the enemies of Islam

They have proven it twice:

Once when they refused to ban "Burn the Qur'an day" group and secondly when they refused to ban "Draw cartoons of Prophet Muhammad" group.

So if you enjoy using the facilities of the enemies of Islam then that is upto you.

4. It is a place of great fitnah

Even if you claim your account is restricted to just friends it does not entirely stop the potential for free mixing:

Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: "I have not left behind me any fitnah (temptation) more harmful to men than women." [Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5096; Muslim, 2740]

5. Risk of account getting hacked

It is a place where hackers can easily gain access to your account details and personal information etc. Read the following recent story:

Mark Zuckerberg (Creator of Facebook) Facebook fan page hack: who was behind it?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...-investigation

Do not let Shaytan and your nafs make excuses for you to continue wasting your time on Facebook. Your time is more precious than you can ever imagine and you will only regret this precious time that you are wasting on Facebook in the hereafter. That is when we will all see what we could have gained if we used our precious time wisely.

Your youth is too precious to waste and once it is gone you will never regain it back again. So use the time you have now in your youth to get closer to Allah and spend time with good company and those who remember Allah.

Use this precious little time to do the work of dawah and to do much dhikr, recite Qur'an with its meanings, memorise ayah's, learn dua's. Listen to Islamic lectures and learn about Islam. learn the language of the Qur'an.

There is so much good to do and so little time to do it in. So the little time that we do have we should spend it on that which will benefit us FOREVER not that which will waste our time and will not benefit us at all in this world or the next.

It's your life so the choice is yours...

It was narrated that Ibn 'Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: "Two blessings which many people do not make the most of: good health and spare time." Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 6412.

And Allah knows best in all matters

No post ratings
Rank Image
Qatar, Doha
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 7th February 2011 11:36
Some excellent and very helpful points put up. Jazakallah.

I tend to go for the simpler and easier way to explain, that Facebook helped and supported the attack on Prophet SAW and did nothing to stop it, so I decided not to allow them to profit from my custom. Simples :)

I didnt want to be part of anyone or any thing that promotes and aids any type of Insults to Islam.

Its a shame that a lot of Masaajids around the UK use facebook to advertise their services and bayaans.

Talk about being hypocrites.

ws
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd November 2011 16:16

I AM NOT PROMOTING ANYTHIG JUST SHARING THE NEWS.

Islamic 'Facebook' to be launched in Istanbul

Set to be open in April www.salamworld.com

Monday, November 14, 2011

Salamworld, an Islamic social networking website, is set to start its journey from Istanbul.

The website is funded by prominent Muslim businessmen, with over 100,000 people waiting for membership. Based in Istanbul, Salamworld will have working branches in many other cities, including Cairo, London, Moscow, Dubai and New York.

The site will be streamed in 15 languages. The site's name "Salamworld" means "Hello world," and the motto for the site reads "no politics, no bans, no limits."

Salamworld aims to attract 100 million users by the end of its first three year term, targeting Muslim youth, intellectual leaders and non-Muslims wanting to learn more about Islam.

The powerful social networking site in the Islamic world www.salamworld.com to be active soon in Istanbul.

According to information obtained from site managers, salamworld is funded by business notables of the Islamic world.

The site, located in Istanbul, will have offices in Cairo, Moscow, London, Dubai, Mecca, Medina, Astana, New York, Paris and Kuala Lumpur.

The technical center of the site will be in Hyderabad, India.

"Salamword" will be available in Turkish, Arabic, English, French, Persian and Russian, while other languages ​​will be added later with dialects Azerbaijani, Kazakh, Uzbek, and Urdu, Maltese, Chinese, Pashto, Bengali and Kurdish.

The social networking site will begin work following a grand opening ceremony in April in Turkey.

It will provide services to users including: e-books, online teaching, fatwa, Islamic Encyclopaedia, city guide, seminars, information on the Islamic world, journey through the history of Islam, games, videos, guide to the Hajj and Umrah.

The main principle of distribution of the site will be the preservation of Islamic values ​​and human, the leaders said the site.

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 30th July 2012 09:56
Rizmalek wrote:
+3 -0Like x 3
Rank Image
Qatar, Doha
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 30th July 2012 10:31
Just wanted to re-itterate my point

rizmalek wrote:
Some excellent and very helpful points put up. Jazakallah.

I tend to go for the simpler and easier way to explain, that Facebook helped and supported the attack on Prophet SAW and did nothing to stop it, so I decided not to allow them to profit from my custom. Simples :)

I didnt want to be part of anyone or any thing that promotes and aids any type of Insults to Islam.

Its a shame that a lot of Masaajids around the UK use facebook to advertise their services and bayaans.

Talk about being hypocrites.
ws

These fake muslims even go as far as using FB in a masjid which is disgusting.

Like i said, FB helped people to draw photos of Prophet SAW and Curse him SAW.

By using facebook you are siding with the direct emenies of Prophet SAW, and as far as im concerned, you stepped out of the fold of Islam for siding with RasoolAllah SAW's enemies.
+3 -0Like x 1
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 30th July 2012 14:44
rizmalek wrote:

you stepped out of the fold of Islam for siding with RasoolAllah SAW's enemies.[/quote]

Please refrain from baseless statements. Jazakallah.

[quote=ashrafiya . com]An individual inquired that if it was still inappropriate to keep a face book account.

Sayyidi wa sanadi Shaikh Mufti Mohammad Taqi Usmani (Allah preserve him) replied,

'Yes indeed one should not have an account on the facebook . It is against the Islamic honor to do so. The desecration they did for our master Prophet Muhammad (Allah bless him and give him peace) was despicable.

However, I do not say that it is impermissible (na-jaiz/haram) to do so.

Some people tell me there is an account under my name also. I do not approve of it. I tell them to delete it if possible. I have no connection with it.'

Medinah e munawwarah, Al-Taiba Suites, 11th January 2011

+3 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Qatar, Doha
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 26th August 2012 22:27
Looks like "guest" is a fan of Facebook and loves the fitnah it creates.

It's not baseless so get YOUR facts right.

I used to use Facebook and in 2010 they had a "draw Mohammed day" and Facebook did nothing to shut it down. Their own policies state that any group the creates racial hatred and so forth will be stopped immediately.

I wrote to Facebook and ask them why they haven't stopped it. I quoted their policies and rules that have been violated. They still didn't do any thing to stop it. So a group called "boycott facebook on 31st may" (I think or march) was created and as they didn't stop the group and so I left facebook.

If you saw the things people wrote about our beloved you would not felt like me, wanting drop dead before I witnessed such statements and pictures.

But obviously your in love with FB and love makes blind and in this scenario as far as I am concerned it virtually takes you out of the fold of Islam as you have openly sided with the enemies of Prophet SAW. So I suggest you close your account say your shahadah again and repent.

May Allah give you guidance and make you of the fortunate people again. InshaAllah
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 26th August 2012 23:29
How evil is Facebook? So evil! Invader of privacy, maker of billions, social network that turns us all into casual stalkers . . . In all of the articles, blogs and, er, Facebook status updates ever written about Facebook, there does seem to be universal agreement that it is, somehow, suspect - a point on which the two recent films made about Facebook, Catfish and The Social Network, predictably concur.

guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/sep/29/how-evil-is-face...
+2 -0Like x 2