Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Reaching out ....

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 13th July 2009 18:31

AsalaamzWW

Has anyone got any ideas youth (or anyone really) = both brothers and sisters (mainly those with no thirst). I know many events are taking place around the UK now however they mostly seem like talks in masjids for brothers and sisters which only attract deeni minded people anyway.

How do you reach those brothers and sisters who wont come for talks? Even if talks werent to take place its highly likely those brothers and sisters who do come to those talks will still come to the masjids, stay away from haraam, practice to an average level, listen to ulama, read deeni books, etc. What about those that hardly have connection with the masjids, ulama, good company, deeni books etc in short deen. What sort of things have you seen or you know have been done in other areas to attract such people?

ideas/comments/suggestions/experiences appreciated.

report post quote code quick quote reply
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 24th July 2009 16:03
W-Salam,

In my humble opinion and as presented to several Ulama we should have Town-Hall like events in our institutions with open-talk format.

Talk about divorces, forced marraiges, Arsenal FC etc. etc. etc.

Most of our "Deobandi" program are more of "Talk (or Talk-Down)" affairs so off course people who don't frequent the Masjid won't come.

Look at the giant disclaimer under this sub-forum of "People's Say" on this forum and it speaks volumes. It says in simple terms, "Whatever you gotta say its isn't important and you talk too much but we have to give you a chance to vent and rant so get on with it and get it over with".

Our mind-set has to change and we have to tackle the problems "head-on" instead of as an after-thought e.g. "O God! Do you have a question? What is it? Tell me so we can get it over with".

Rank Image
Stamford Hill
Sister
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 27th July 2009 16:44
slms,

How about having topic on nowadays issues or even a catchy title that will attract youngster to the talks. My friend went to a marriage talk the other day in Acton Mosque; they had a talk, gave out free books and even had a segregated BBQ, so person would want to come back to another talk in that Masjid.

I think youngster are sometimes frighten of the mosque because how they dress or they think they may get trapped in the mosque (lol) so different surrounding does help.

Sometimes not initially speaking to them about the Deen but rather have a youth group/club or something for youngster. Do activities with them that they may enjoy (life skills activities) then once in a while attending talks with them but making it one of their activity or part of an activities.

Advertising it is important especially as you said there are so many talks around. Giving it a catchy title, make it bright bold and making sure it gets across to people all over, in good time. I for one love attending talks yet unless I come to this site, never have I seen a talk e-mailed to me or poster on a wall anywhere other then Masjid Qu'ba. One idea: posters in collages etc. If you know a youth attending a college give it to them to put it up.

Bottom line is get youngster involved it spreading the word to their friends, peers. Get their help to get their aged people in..