You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
rujie, Yasin
Rank Image
Unspecified
Unspecified
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 20th February 2008 17:20

A rare total lunar eclipse will turn the moon red in the early hours of Thursday.

The total eclipse will be visible between 3.01am and 3.52am, with the partial eclipse beginning at 1.43am and finishing at 5.09am.

A total eclipse occurs when the full Moon moves into the Earth's shadow and although it becomes dimmed, it can still be seen because it is lit by the sunlight passing through the Earth's atmosphere.

Stronger atmospheric scattering of blue light means that the light that reaches the lunar surface is predominantly red in colour so observers on Earth see a Moon that may be brick-coloured, rusty, blood-red or sometimes dark grey, depending on terrestrial conditions on the night.

Dr Robert Massey at the Royal Astronomical Society (RAS) said: "As astronomers, we like to draw attention to lunar eclipses because they are extremely beautiful and very rare. In fact, the next time we will see a lunar eclipse in the UK will be 2015.

"It is a bright white, pearly colour which goes to a deep red colour and that's why it is so spectacular. It is like a red jaw in the sky and the view is almost as if the planet Mars is a hundred times closer.

"The great thing about a lunar eclipse is that it is absolutely safe to enjoy.

"So I would encourage everyone to go out and enjoy it - even for a short time because the effect is really dramatic."

According to the RAS, this will be the last chance to watch a total lunar eclipse from the UK until September 28, 2015.

Kevin Yates from the National Space Centre in Leicester said: "It is amazing how many people have never witnessed one. In ancient writings they have referred to the moon turning blood red and that has been interpreted in many ways so it has a certain appeal."

http://news.uk.msn.com/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=7587885

Does anyone know what the stance of this is in islam? Because i remember a good few years back there was a full eclipse and i overheard someone saying its a bad sign from allah etc...but i never did find out much on it. Let me know

Jazakhallah, wasalaam

report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
UK
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 20th February 2008 17:58
Quote:
"So I would encourage everyone to go out and enjoy it - even for a short time because the effect is really dramatic."

Considering the time it takes place, I would encourage Tahajjud if one's gonna be up. Then the eclipse.

Other than that, Jazakillah for the post. I wasn't aware of the lunar eclipse this Thursday.

As for the bad sign, there's no basis of that in Islam as far as I know. Nor the eclipse take place due to events as Nabi (saw) said after the demise of his son Ibraheem.

Wassalam
No post ratings
Rank Image
Stamford Hill
Sister
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 20th February 2008 20:28

There is already a post on Salat al-Kusuf when an Eclipse takes place, but just as a reminder.

Yahya related to me from Malik from Hisham ibn Urwa from his father that A'isha, the wife of the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "There was an eclipse of the sun in the time of the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, and the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, led the people in prayer.

He stood, and did so for a long time. Then he went into ruku, and made the ruku long. Then he stood again, and did so for a long time, though not as long as the first time. Then he went into ruku, and made the ruku long, though not as long as thefirst time. Then he rose, and went down into sajda. He then did the same in the second raka, and by the time he had finished the sun had appeared.

He then gave a khutba to the people, in which he praised Allah and then said, 'The sun and the moon are two of Allah's signs. They do not eclipse for anyone's death nor for anyone's life. When you see an eclipse, call on Allah and say, "Allah is greater" and give sadaqa.' Then he said, 'O community of Muhammad! ByAllah, there is no-one more jealous than Allah of a male or female slave of his who commits adultery. O community of Muhammad! By Allah, if you knew what I knew, you would laugh little and weep much'."

Malik Muwatta, Book 12, The Eclipse Prayer Generally speaking the format of this prayer is in jama`ah (congregation) and is 2 raka`at (according to the majority of scholars including Imam Malik, Ahmed and Shafi`i - rahimahum Allah). Scholars also say that it is a sunnah mu'akadah and according to Imam Abu Hanifah it was wajib (obligatory) and according to Imam Malik it was equivalent to Salat ul-Jumu`ah (Friday Prayer) in importance. The purpose of this is a rememberance of Allah سبحانه وتعالى and a time to reflect:

"When the sight is dazed, and the moon is buried in darkness, and the sun and moon are joined together: Man will say on that day, Where is the refuge?". (Qur'an: Surat al-Qiyamah)

No post ratings
Rank Image
leicester,UK
Unspecified
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 20th February 2008 22:12

Mazharul,leicester,UK

When there used to be an eclipse in the time of nabi(S.A.W), it is said to the nearest meaning that the prophet(S.A.W) and the sahabahs(R.A) would run towards the masjid and they would read a special namaaz in times of eclipse, sorry but i don't know the name of the namaaz, but i know that the namaaz would be very long. the ruku and sajdah would be quite long and also the imam would read long surahs from the qur'an e.g. surah bakarah.

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Unspecified
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 20th February 2008 22:43
Subhanallah - and jazakhallah rujie for that peice of information
No post ratings