You have contributed 2.8% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
member2, queenie, abu mohammed, bint e aisha
Rank Image
London
Brother
#16 [Permalink] Posted on 24th January 2011 14:24
Here is a question I asked regarding a common question that was making me stop using the Miswak.

Salaam.

When I use my miswak, my gum bleeds very slightly, does this break my Wudu?

Answer:

Assalamu 'alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

If the saliva is more red than white, then yes.

Wassalam
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#17 [Permalink] Posted on 17th June 2013 14:58
Reinventing the toothbrush
with a traditional Arab Miswak stick

“THIS” is being marketed as an alternative to the conventional toothbrush. (Photo courtesy: THIS)

Sunday, 16 June 2013

Redesign the toothbrush: A former student of New York’s School of Visual Arts, Leen Sadder, looked to the roots of oral hygiene to complete the task set by her professor.

During her research she came across the benefits of the Miswak stick, a tooth-cleaning twig traditionally used mainly in the Middle East, Pakistan and India. With each use, the top is bitten off to reveal soft bristles similar to that of a toothbrush.

The twig is made from the Salvadora persica tree.

“I thought to myself, ‘you know what, you're in grad school. You’re allowed to do crazy things like this,’ and went ahead with the stick idea,” Leen told the Al-Bawaba news outlet in an interview.

Sadder began her student project, revamping the Miswak stick with the aim of marketing it to a modern, western audience.

And so “THIS” was born; the product introduced as “organic, portable and beneficial for daily dental care.”

The biggest challenge, states the website for “the dieline Package Design conference” held in San Francisco, was figuring out how to advertise the stick to a contemporary audience, not used to the idea of biting the end of a stick to brush their teeth.

The “THIS” team, which has grown to involve a few more individuals according to their Facebook page, came up with a solution based on a cigar cutter, and included a “stick cutter” in the product’s packaging.

As well as clinical, sleek packaging, a campaign was designed to promote “THIS” as a viable alternative to the toothbrush for the contemporary market.

A series of posters and print ads were designed depicting photographs of sticks in nature compared to photos of the Miswak stick in a clean bathroom, with the phrases “This is a stick,” and “This is a toothbrush,” superimposed respectively.

The product has not been mass produced yet and is still in the design phase, according to their promotional Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/thisisatoothbrush

The World Health Organization (WHO) recommended the use of the Miswak stick in 1986. In 2000, an international consensus report on oral hygiene concluded that further research was needed to document the effect of the natural product.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/life...wak-stick.html

No post ratings
#18 [Permalink] Posted on 18th June 2013 00:31
Is there a specific direction your suppose to use the miswaak? E, g vertically or horizontally or can iut be used in any direction?
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#19 [Permalink] Posted on 18th June 2013 01:43
"The manner in which the siwak is to be used is horizontally and not vertically."

The istihbab for horizontal brushing is derived from a hadith in Muslim which states, "When the Prophet (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) would stand for tahajjud (يشوص فاه) he would clean his mouth with a siwak." One of the meanings of the word (شوص) is to brush horizontally as 'ibn Manzur mentions in his book titled Lisan al-Arab. But the word also means to brush vertically, on this basis, the istihbab would be nullified. Science and dentistry have determined that using horizontal strokes for the front and back of the teeth is a definite no no. Horizontal strokes can be used for the grinding areas of the teeth but vertical strokes should be used for the front and back of the teeth.

http://www.ilmgate.org/brushing-up-on-the-sunnah-of-brushing/
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
DuNyA
Sister
#20 [Permalink] Posted on 21st August 2013 07:07
This is amazing!
I have been using the siwak for a long while now. I have known of the benefits but only use it during wudhu.
But alhamdulillah, knowing the history and other recommended times for usage is just beyond my happiness. This has also brought to my attention to make firm intention in being constant and continuous and gradually introducing siwak usage during every other time Muhammad s.a.w used it.

A sunnah to be revived in my family. Encourage my children to replace toothbrushes for the siwak for 3 months and let them decided which should be used for general daily cleaning of their teeth.

1- when purchasing miswaak, does the seller generally know themselves from which bark the miswaak is from?
2- do i trim the edges of the siwaak as the strands loosen and lengthen? Mines is getting too long!
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#21 [Permalink] Posted on 21st August 2013 08:17
Double post edit
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#22 [Permalink] Posted on 21st August 2013 08:26
SubhaanAllah Queenie, lovely to see you on ms again, do you remember having a discussion on the miswak quite a while back? The miswak can be trimmed down as and when required. just searched for thread but can find it.

MashaAllah I've been using the miswak for a while probably from our discussions from ms and other sources, got book on miswak will dig it up....but from what I remember there are a few different trees of which branches can be used, off hand I know the olive tree was one of them, in the meantime I'm sure other members may know the type of branches that can be used...if its not already mentioned on this thread.

I'm not sure whether the seller would know which tree it's from unless he's clued up, but once I bought miswaks from street seller in makkah, and I could see the difference in appearance of miswaks, bought different types to try them out, but only took to the one commonly used. Very different in taste and texture.
No post ratings
Rank Image
DuNyA
Sister
#23 [Permalink] Posted on 21st August 2013 15:46
Jazakillah Taalibah.
I have been extremely busy over the years. And when ever i used to use the muftisays app i was a ghost reader (as a guest). Most of the time i didn't realise i had to manually log in and would only realise after appreciating a topic.
I was also being lazy in logging to appreciate a topic in my name!
Miswak: yes i recall the topic being discussed. I have very bad memory and cannot remember to what extent the discussion went. But i don't think it was as in depth as the article above. Going to dig up that post.
+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#24 [Permalink] Posted on 21st August 2013 15:51
A lot of posts got deleted :( from the olden days! So you might find some old posts missing. Taalibah fragrance brought you back! mashaAllah, dont disappear again, got some excellent threads and posts for you to catch up with x
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#25 [Permalink] Posted on 21st August 2013 16:26
No post ratings
Rank Image
DuNyA
Sister
#26 [Permalink] Posted on 21st August 2013 18:06
Yes & jazakallah.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#27 [Permalink] Posted on 12th March 2014 10:39
What about Peelu Vs Olive Miswak? Which is better
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#28 [Permalink] Posted on 12th March 2014 10:51
Different Kind of Miswak ...

Peelu, Olive, Bitam Tree Miswak
It is permissible to take for a Miswak all kinds of tree twigs provided these aren't hazardous or poisonous, they are equally beneficial. It is prohibited to utilize a Miswak from a poisonous tree. Miswaks from the following trees aren't permissible:

Pomegranate
Bamboo
Raihaan
Chambelie
Our Holy Prophet (saw)forbade the Usage of Raihaan as Miswak as it leads to the disease, Juz-zaam

Listed below are the kinds of Miswak recommended:

Peelo tree
Zaitoon or Olive tree
Bitam
Any bitter tree

Miswak of the Peelo Tree
"And, the finest of Miswaks is the Peelo, then the Olive."
(KABIRI)
The ideal kind of Miswak is that which is obtained from the Peelo tree. The miswak of the Peelo tree is incredible for getting the sparkle or glitters of the teeth. Our Holy Prophet (Peace Be upon Him) likewise lauded and endorsed the Peelo tree for Miswak usage. Apart from recommending the Peelo tree, Holy Prophet (Peace Be upon Him) together with the Companion (May Allah be Pleased with them) utilized Miswaks of this tree. Companions of Imam Shafi (R) have shown Agreement of Opinion among them on the point that the usage of the Peelo Miswak is Mustahab.

Miswak of the Olive Tree
Our Holy Prophet (Peace Be upon Him) has voiced highly of the Miswak of this tree as well. The following Hadith reveals the importance of the Olive tree Miswak:
"Use the Miswak of the Olive tree. It's the Miswak of an auspicious tree. It cleans and makes wholesome the mouth. It erases the yellowishness of the teeth. It is my (i.e. Rasulullah's) Miswak and the Miswak of the Prophets who arrived before me."
(MUNTAKHAB)

Miswak of the Bitam Tree
In another Hadith it's stated that in the absence of the Peelo tree the Olive tree could be utilized, and in the absence of the Olive Miswak, the Bitam tree Miswak could be utilized.
(MUNTAKHAB)
Miswak of some bitter tree
If none of the three aforementioned kinds of Miswak is obtainable, a Miswak of any bitter tree can be taken.
(KUHASTANI)

" . . Afterwards it is recommended to utilize a Miswak of a sour tree since the Miswak of a sour tree takes off odor of the mouth to a greater extent."
(KABIRI)
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#29 [Permalink] Posted on 12th March 2014 10:59
Servant.Of.Allah wrote:
View original post

My apologies, posted above, nothing that answers your question. جزاك الله خيرا
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#30 [Permalink] Posted on 12th March 2014 11:12
Taalibah wrote:
View original post

I am now using a Peelu but have a new Olive Miswak. Confused on which one must I use...
No post ratings