You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
abu mohammed, Yasin, abuzayd2k
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 17th May 2022 22:01
Is there anyone here that were in the care of the local authority and placed with foster carers or in children's homes? It's sad and I'm just saying what I have seen, but a lot of Muslim children that go into care, many I see growing further away from deen. Slowly things like observing a halal diet, praying, keeping in contact with family goes out the window. I'm not saying they are prevented from practicing but more a case of leaving the home environment gives them more freedom to do what they want. To be honest I want to hear positive stories about children that left care managed to turn their life around and trying with staying steadfast on Deen.
report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0
UK
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 18th May 2022 12:42
I knew 3 brothers who were taken into social care and they grew up very posh and will manners with the foster home they were put into. The foster parents were good.

However, you're absolutely right about their Deen. Although they considered themselves Muslims, they only found themselves inherently Muslim and they didn't even know the Kalimah. I was only around 10-12 at the time so couldn't guide them but unless they find Islam again in adulthood or are blessed with good Muslim family foster care I really can't see them on Deen.

It would be great if charities took up this task for local Muslim children in social care instead of drooling over giftaid profits.

This one claims to be the ONLY Muslim fostering agency in the UK which supports my point: www.muslimfostercare.co.uk/

I'm sure there's other smaller ones but this work would be huge if it was spread across UK and I'd love to somehow support this cause.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 24th May 2022 00:32
What really got me a few weeks back and it me made me sad was when I met a set of Muslim twins, 17 years old in foster care who I found out were eating sausages and bacon. I had a word with the foster carer to tell them as part of their dietary needs they need to eat halal food. The foster carer said that she had no issue with them eating halal food but the brothers are not too bothered about it. I spoke to the brothers and they confirmed this. There is another Muslim child at that placement and he is provided with halal food so it's not a case of the children are being fed haram but just choosing to eat other food. The other thing is that the brothers aren't vulnerable, they have their heads screwed on and understand what is right and wrong. They even have a former Imam/Maulana in their extended family so it's not like they did not have an Islamic education. I've met many Muslims that don't necessarily eat halal, will eat from McDonald's and chicken from other places, but one thing with many Muslims
I have met even though they may not be practicing, nor pray Salaatul Jumuah on Fridays, take drugs and may only appear Muslim by name, they would never eat pig.
+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 24th May 2022 00:50
Yasin wrote:
View original post

There is a lot of red tape when it comes to applying to become a foster carer. It can take a while and there are lots of background checks which in some way is understandable which at times can put some people off. However there are many Muslim carers that want to do it as a means of reward and are a great help to the children. Enrolling them in Quran classes and ensuring the child receives Islamic knowledge.
Also autonomy is limited because ultimately the local authority has parental responsibility. I know of someone who dealt with a case a while back to support some foster carers as they were screwed over by the local authority and removed from the register. The carers were told to bring up the children as if they were their own. Carers were on the religious side so they didn't allow the girl to listen to music or go out and basically treated her like how they treated their own child.
No post ratings