You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
Moonlight, member2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 6th April 2020 03:26
Salam. Many of us have heard about black seed and its fazail. Now with the coronavirus I wanted to discuss this in more detail.

We have all heard the hadith that (paraphrased) 'black seed can cure everything except death.' I remember a shaykh explaining this hadith and saying it is the Prophet (salallahu alayhi wasalam) emphasizing black seeds benefits using a form of exaggeration in the Arabic language, just as the hadith used in the jumuah khutbah 'every bida is a dalala...and in the naar' because we know there are hadith on good bid'a. Its a hyperbole in Arabic language. So the point is the hadith is speaking to the health virtues of black seed, but should not be interpreted literally to mean cure for everything except death.

But if the hadith is correct about the health benefits of black seed...what are they?

I have experimented with black seed. Here are some ways I have used it or heard of it being used. This is not a scientific research - it is just anecdotal and DIY science.

1) Soaking a number of black seeds in vinegar for a period and then letting them dry. I take these seeds every morning on an empty stomach - especially when traveling or the seasons change or now with the virus. I find it protects me from flu or fever or cold. But it has to be taken each day. The one time I took it everyday in Mecca during hajj and I stayed healthy while people around me got sick, but the one day I didn't take it, I got sick.

My understanding of the way black seed works is simple: it boosts immune system. It doesn't cure - it helps the body's own defence system. Simply put, the hadith is often translated so shifa = cure, but what if "cure" is used because it is the closest Arabic equivalent to immunity booster? So my theory is shifa does not mean only "cure" as we understand it today - but can mean immunity booster, vaccine, supplement, antidote, etc. So my understanding is the hadith means that black seed helps the body cure itself - because its the immune system that works to fight. That makes sense to me, because in reality it is the body and its immune system that interacts with disease directly.

2) The other way I use black seed is in a sunnah-cocktail when I am sick to strengthen effects of medicine and pills. Based on my theory that it boost immunity, if I am sick with a fever or flu, before I take panadol or tylenol or advil...I take
1) a bunch of black seeds
2) 3 ajwa dates
3) zamzam water along with the pills and dua.

I use this as an approach to just augment and strengthen the effect of the medicine and I found its helped the medicine relieve me much faster than it usually would.

3) I have heard of other ways black seed has been used. As a cold-pressed oil, or burning black seeds on coals like oud to purify the air.

Share your stories of using black seed or how you've heard it used. Of course, this is all anecdotal and not medical advice.

report post quote code quick quote reply
+3 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 6th April 2020 05:16
DawudIsrael wrote:
View original post

I'm curious. Is this a particular type of seed, or just the color of the seed?
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 6th April 2020 05:44
In Need of Teaching wrote:
View original post

It's a particular type of black seed.

Nigela Sativa (black caraway seeds) (Kalonji)
Taalibah wrote:
View original post

Taalibah wrote:
View original post

+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 6th April 2020 06:15
In which foods or how to use black seed oil in cooking?
No post ratings
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 6th April 2020 07:22
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 6th April 2020 09:50
I normally have 1/2 tsp of oil in the morning and same in the evening. Some people just chew on a handful of the seeds. Also known as Kalonji or nigella seeds.
E0F54E1F-0ACD-46CA-8700-C8FE94F13DE2.jpeg
Downloads: 158
    [204.00 kB]
+1 -0
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 6th April 2020 10:20

1 Suggestion I would make is that many Muslims make extraordinary amounts of money while selling dates, Olive Oil, Black Seed oil, Honey etc.

Excellent qualities of organic products can be cheaply bought on the Internet for less then half of what is offered by many Muslims. For example Organic Nigella Sativa from (German Amazon) is 10% the price of Muslim version which has "Sunnah" written on it with no quality controls etc.

+1 -0Like x 1Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 6th April 2020 13:04
There are many ways you can take blackseed and make it part of your daily life.

Boil seeds in water and inhale the steam

Use a few drops in a diffuser and inhale it in your room

Take this blackseed boiled water, let it cool down or stay warm and drink as a tea

You can also mix Honey, Apple Cider Vinegar to make a very powerful detox and anti-bacterial solution

You can add seeds to your cooking

You can take blackseed oil drops and put it under your tongue

You can also use blackseed oil drops topically on your skin and hair

Use a few drops in a carrier oil (like olive oil) and apply it on the skin for a therapeutic massage
+2 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 6th April 2020 14:41
afzalyunus wrote:
View original post

I don't think it is recommended to expose it to heat. If you want to use it in foods just sprinkle some once done cooking.
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 6th April 2020 19:07

fod1083 wrote:
View original post

You have raised a very important point but I found this in the study to be interesting.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26124636

Quote:
The different thermal processing protocols yielded three distinct patterns: heating the NS seeds to 50°C, 100°C, or 150°C produced oil with a strong ability to inhibit tumor cell growth; no heating or heating to 25°C had a mild antiproliferative effect; and heating to 200°C or 250°C had no effect.

So I guess we would need to know how the oil is extracted for it to be of maximum benefit according to this study

Quote:
The data indicate that controlled thermal processing of NS seeds (at 50°C-150°C) produces significantly higher anticancer activity associated with a higher thymoquinone oil content, and inhibits the NF-κB signaling pathway.

+4 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 6th April 2020 20:30
The part about the word "Shifa" is very interesting.

I think "cure" has never meant medicine or treatment. It's always been a broad term on how something can relieve from something else. It's mostly a process that leads to cure.
Example 1: "Smiling cures depression" - Smiling doesn't get rid of depression but relieves one from the state of depression while smiling according to scientists.
Example 2: Antibiotics cures infections. Here they actually destroy and slow down the growth of bacteria. So in its literal sense it's a cure.

What you said about taking it daily also makes sense because antibiotics for example has strict instructions to take it a certain number of hours apart for a given number of days. So it makes sense that you took it daily because once the black seeds have done their job, they don't stick around.

All in all, very interesting and good post and I'm already looking online to order some.

+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 6th April 2020 20:38
Shifaa is solely from Allah. I know I’m stating the obvious but always make dua when taking any form of for ailments whether it’s medicine or herbal for Allah to make it a means of relief and cure.
+0 -0Agree x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 6th April 2020 20:45
So what benefits have you guys noticed with black seed use?
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 6th April 2020 20:55
DawudIsrael wrote:
View original post

Many benefits cannot be seen. The work happens inside the body.

How does one know if they were infected and got cured.

So maybe take it as a routine and the disease will stay away.
+3 -0Like x 3
Rank Image
Eraf
Brother
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 7th April 2020 02:52
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

If the use of these seeds has a significant prophylactic effect, are the WHO and state health ministries and medical research labs recommending this as a preventive measure?
+1 -0Like x 1