Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

The Divine Fallacy

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
Eraf
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 14th February 2020 11:13
How far can we go with logic/reasoning?

Do the members think this is appropriate?

Quote:
"When People Assume that ‘God’ is the Only Explanation

The divine fallacy is a logical fallacy that occurs when someone assumes that a certain phenomenon must occur as a result of divine intervention or a supernatural force, either because they don’t know how to explain it otherwise, or because they can’t imagine that this isn’t the case.

For example, if someone doesn’t understand how evolution works, they might display the divine fallacy if they claim that their inability to understand evolution is proof that God must have created all the living organisms on Earth.

It’s important to understand the divine fallacy, since people frequently use it in an attempt to discredit scientific theories that they disagree with, and in order to support various pseudoscientific concepts. In the following article, you will understand how the divine fallacy works, see some examples of its use, and learn what you can do in order to counter people who use it."

https://effectiviology.com/divine-fallacy/
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
UK
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 14th February 2020 11:20
abuzayd2k wrote:
View original post

Yes it's appropriate.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Eraf
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 14th February 2020 11:50
Yasin wrote:
View original post

Please help me to understand this.

Q: "How did the Heavens and the Earth come to be?"
A: "Allah سبحانه وتعالى created them in six days."

Divine fallacy?

I am genuinely confused.
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 14th February 2020 12:05

abuzayd2k wrote:
View original post

Loading Qur'aan Verse

The translation should not be 6 "days". It should be 6 time "periods"

Why am I editing this post?

Because the Qur'aan bb codes do not show before making the post final as explained to admin. So I have no way of knowing what I am writing, I have to post and then edit.

Correcting something isn't a crime in Islam or morally but the new direction which forum is taking is making it a crime.

+2 -0Like x 1Agree x 2
UK
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 14th February 2020 12:15
I understand your question now.

If the questioner asked for scientific proof or a naturalistic view of how the heaven and earth came to be then saying God created it would be a divine fallacy. However, once it is established that it cannot be answered scientifically for logical reasons then 'God created it' would be a logical conclusion that fits what we observe and it would not be a divine fallacy.

It's really important to know and understand why it cannot be explained scientifically to know at what point this would not be a divine fallacy.
No post ratings
UK
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 14th February 2020 12:26
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

As a translation 6 "days" is fine but in Tafseer it's explained why it's time periods. Because the concept of Day and Night is a worldly concept in that what is known by day and night (24 hours) came into existence after the creation. This is why it's time period and not necessarily the day as we know it.

A lot of words are in the Qur'aan are for human understanding but it will not mean that it is as we understand it. For example:
Loading Qur'aan Verse
"يَدُ اللَّهِ فَوْقَ أَيْدِيهِمْ" suggests hands of Allah but this does not mean physical hands just like day will not mean actual day. "Time period" is a perfect explanation.
+2 -0Winner x 1
Rank Image
Eraf
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 14th February 2020 12:47
Yasin wrote:
View original post

"[Quran 16:66] And in cattle there is a lesson for you, We give you drink, from their bellies digested food and blood, pure liquid milk for those who drink."

The biological process of the formation of milk from digested food is known and can be explained scientifically.

Doesn't the verse above say that Allah سبحانه وتعالى creates milk from food and blood in the bellies of cows?

Aren't we supposed to ascribe everything to the Qudrat of Allah سبحانه وتعالى, whether we understand the underlying process or not?

Isn't the divine fallacy itself a fallacy?
No post ratings
UK
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 14th February 2020 12:57
Quote:
Aren't we supposed to ascribe everything to the Qudrat of Allah سبحانه وتعالى, whether we understand the underlying process or not?

Absolutely we should and we do all the time. This is not a fallacy when both people already agree on the premise.

An atheist for example does not agree on the premise to begin with so to say "God did it" would be a fallacy. The following should hopefully make a little more sense at this point?
Yasin wrote:
However, once it is established that it cannot be answered scientifically for logical reasons then 'God created it' would be a logical conclusion that fits what we observe and it would not be a divine fallacy.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Eraf
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 14th February 2020 13:18
Yasin wrote:
View original post

Thank you for clearing that up.

So, let's see if I've got this right.

A divine fallacy only occurs in an argument between an atheist and a believer?
No post ratings
UK
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 14th February 2020 14:24
Quote:
A divine fallacy only occurs in an argument between an atheist and a believer?

It can occur between anyone. If the premise doesn't include supernatural then it's definitely a fallacy. First you have to establish why you can't use natural reasons and only then a logical argument can be presented which can include divinity.

For example, A Muslim might be making an argument that requires an example of how the sun emits heat. So he would ask other, "how does the sun emit heat?" The answer to this will be the analogy and basis of his point that he's trying to put forward.

The other person is also a Muslim and says "Because Allah created it that way."
This is also a divine fallacy. It does not make it false but it hinders progress in the argument. The first Muslim does not deny that Allah created the sun to emit heat but in using divine fallacy it killed the point that he wanted to make to prove his argument.

The entire purpose of logical fallacies are to kill arguments unjustly.

Whilst the most common situation where this fallacy occurs might be between a theist and atheist, it doesn't mean the fallacy only happens between these two types.
+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 14th February 2020 23:50
In laymen's term a divine fallacy is when someone uses God to justify their position, in objection to another. Whilst entirely disregarding any rational, logic or scientific reasoning that the opposition may present. Basically using God as the trump card to justify everything.

In order to answer brother abuzayd2k's question, as to whether divine fallacies are acceptable. Well yes, but just not very credible.

+1 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Eraf
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 15th February 2020 03:17
@BrotherYasin:

Thank you for correcting the formatting in my first post. I am not very proficient with markup. I tried to convey my appreciation using PM but it said PM was disabled, so now I have to let the whole world know that you work behind the scenes to keep things tidy here and it probably goes unnoticed a lot of times.
No post ratings