Topic Appreciation
abuzayd2k
Rank Image
London
Brother
#211 [Permalink] Posted on 4th February 2020 15:24
In Need of Teaching wrote:
View original post

In simply stating that the reward is still there.

You are saying there's no point, I'm saying there is!
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#212 [Permalink] Posted on 4th February 2020 15:27
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post
Quote:
You know the words, Allahu Akbar, SubhanAllah, alhumdulillah etc, that is sufficient for now!

Of those 3 words, I only know the meaning of Allahu Akbar.
No post ratings
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#213 [Permalink] Posted on 4th February 2020 15:29
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#214 [Permalink] Posted on 4th February 2020 15:37
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

Even though we hope through Allah's mercy that we are rewarded for whatever we recite without understanding, I am confused as to why you would continue arguing this point especially about other than the Quran.

From Islamqa.com

Quote:

was narrated that Jaabir ibn ‘Abdillah (may Allah be pleased with him) said: I heard the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) say: “The best dhikr is Laa ilaaha ill-Allah (there is no god but Allah), and the best du‘aa’ is al-hamdu Lillah (Praise be to Allah).”

Therefore the successful one among the people of this world is the one who frequently recites these words at all times and in all places, and whose tongue and heart never weary of repeating them, remembering their meanings, and bearing in mind their objectives.

Another response
Quote:

I want to start reciting the beautiful names of Allah every day, starting this Ramadan. What is the reward that will result from that? What are the best times to do this act of worship?

Answer
Praise be to Allah.

The Sunnah tells us that the reward for memorising the names of Allah, may He be exalted, is admission to Paradise. Al-Bukhaari (2736) and Muslim (2677) narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Allah has ninety-nine names. Whoever memorizes them will enter Paradise.”

The word translated as memorised in this hadeeth may include the following:

1.Memorising them

2.Understanding their meanings

3.Acting upon what they imply. So if a person knows that He is One, he will not associate anything else with Him; if he knows that He is the Provider, he will not seek provision from anyone else; if he knows that He is the Most Merciful, he will do acts of obedience that are a means of attaining this mercy… And so on

4.Calling upon Him by these names, as Allah, may He be glorified and exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning): “And (all) the Most Beautiful Names belong to Allah, so call on Him by them” [al-A‘raaf 7:180]. So one may say for example, “O Most Gracious, have mercy on me; O Oft-Forgiving, forgive me; O Accepter of repentance, accept my repentance” and so on. Thus you will realise that it is not prescribed to merely recite these names without understanding them, acting upon them and calling upon Allah by them.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen said: What is meant by memorising them is not merely writing them on a piece of paper, then repeating them until you have memorised them…

End quote from Majmoo‘ Fataawa wa Rasaa’il Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (1/74)

Undoubtedly focusing in Ramadan on reading Qur’an is better than focusing on any other kind of dhikr. We advise you to read a great deal of Qur’an and ponder its meanings, whilst not neglecting du‘aa’, calling upon Allah, may He be exalted, by His names.

And Allah knows best.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#215 [Permalink] Posted on 4th February 2020 15:54
View original post

You are concerned about WHY one cannot offer Salah in English, Correct?
Concerned wrote:
View original post

I am not saying that there is no need to understand what is being recited, nor am I saying that Dua's cannot be recited in any other language.

What I'm saying is that Salah can be done with minimum praises of Allah and it will be valid, then start to learn whatever you can without understanding and then with understanding. Learning Surah by heart will be easy without the meaning. Once you've learnt that, learn the meaning. Once you've done that, try and learn the meaning of each word. But take it easy, don't stress!

View original post

The Hadith maybe between Arabic speakers, but you're missing the point. And that is the reward! Allah knows your intention and you'll get more than you bargained for :)

View original post

SubhanAllah - Glory be to Allah
Alhumdulillah - All Praise be to Allah
Allahu Akbar - Allah is the Greatest

Concerned wrote:
View original post

We are both on the same page, but the difference is you are starting on a slightly higher level than I am. I am focusing on the lower level i.e. getting into first gear and then second gear.

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#216 [Permalink] Posted on 4th February 2020 16:03
We are both on the same page when it comes to explaining salah to the new brother.

As for the side topics just being discussed, then that is to do with an entire shift in mindset and how our maktabs operate. E.g. we never get into "second gear" as many learnt asma ul husna in maktab in Arabic alone but with no meaning. Did it help us learn about Allah? Perhpas we need to start in "second gear" and back down to "first gear" afterwards. Where is our emphasis?

But this is not the thread for that, I was just highlighting to the brother that he is right in his wanting to understand dhikr and supplications outside of salah, and that he is free to do them in english.
No post ratings
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#217 [Permalink] Posted on 4th February 2020 16:03
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post
Quote:
You are concerned about WHY one cannot offer Salah in English, Correct?

Yes, because I have read too many opinions of scholars who say that it is invalid. (Not all, but far too many.)

Thank you for the translations. Inshallah, I will remember them. I'm sure I've come across the translations before, but I hadn't remembered them so far.
No post ratings
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#218 [Permalink] Posted on 4th February 2020 16:08
View original post
Quote:
Ok.

I wasn't aware there is a difference between numbers 1 and 2.

2. This may only be due to my unique circumstance in that the only way for me to do salah, is to do it by myself. (At least 99% of the time this will be true.)
So, for me to do my salah 5 times per day. I have to either do it in English, or not at all.

Can we go back to this point?

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#219 [Permalink] Posted on 4th February 2020 16:08
Brother for now would it be safe to say that as time progresses you will attempt to learn what is necessary to pray salah in Arabic?
+1 -0Like x 1Agree x 1
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#220 [Permalink] Posted on 4th February 2020 16:09
Concerned wrote:
View original post

Absolutely, it will just take time.
+1 -0Like x 1Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#221 [Permalink] Posted on 4th February 2020 16:09
View original post

Will have to get back to you on that
No post ratings
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#222 [Permalink] Posted on 4th February 2020 16:16
Concerned wrote:
View original post

Brother, I know that you are sincere in wanting to research that for me.

I think it goes to my point though. Do we, even for a moment, believe that Allah سبحانه وتعالى would prefer I didn't do my salah?

(Edit) Yet so many Mufti's simply say that the reading of the Quran in salah must be in Arabic, or the salah is invalid.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#223 [Permalink] Posted on 4th February 2020 16:29
View original post

Of course not!

To start with, all you need to do is perform these actions and say Allahu Akbar (since you now know it) and slowly learn the rest.

Depending on which of the 5 Salah you offer
Mufti Abdur Rahman ibn Yusuf
www.youtube.com/watch?v=W89XielClL0

As mentioned, it's your intention. So intend to offer Salah as best as you can with as little as Arabic you know and it will be completed.

So stop stressing :)
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#224 [Permalink] Posted on 4th February 2020 16:33
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

I agree. I'm just taken aback that so many Mufti's say that if the salah reading of the Quran are not done in Arabic, the salah is invalid.
(I had been editing my post when you posted the above.)

My opinion equals yours, exactly.
No post ratings
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#225 [Permalink] Posted on 4th February 2020 16:39
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

Or are you saying it's not necessary for me to recite the Quran while doing salah, since I can't yet speak (read) Arabic?

(Sorry, got confused when I re-read your post.)
+0 -0Agree x 1

Jump to page: