You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
Yasin
Rank Image
London
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 8th July 2019 21:47
I remember touching on this topic slightly when it came to my kids but it was mentioned in a thread on "Where is Allah" or something similar (please note,the thread was related to children and questions they asked).

Inshaallah, I will try and find the link for that part and share it.

On this thread, I would like you to share your views, opinions and remedies for a good nights sleep.

Also, what causes you not to get a good nights sleep.

Below are a few scenarios of what I mean and how we overcame them at the time.

Once my daughter complained that she couldn't sleep. I asked her to pray from the Quran whatever she knew by heart and go to sleep.

But she insisted that she still couldn't sleep.

So one day, I told her to get up and read the Quran. She was confused because she was trying to sleep and I was asking her to go and make wudhu, get fresh and sit to pray.

So she questioned me, naturally.

I asked her what happens to her whenever she sits to pray. She said that she falls a sleep :)

So I explained to her that Shaitan was most likely causing her to stay awake by making her think of all the bad things that could happen to her when she was asleep and so on. But if she started to pray the Quran, the Shaitan would assist her in sleeping as long as she wasn't increasing her rewards.

So instead of causing her to stay awake in fear, he would now help her sleep knowing that he will succeed in her getting less of the reward.

Alhumdulillah that worked but a bit too well, i.e. she doesn't sit to pray at nite at all :(
(Not that she ever did)

Another case was when we were little.

My dad used to do night shifts for two weeks and day shifts for two weeks.

We used to love it when he went to work at night, it meant we could mess around a little.

But my mum used to feel alone or scared (not so sure) so what we did back in the days was we all slept in one bedroom.

My parents had extra beds in their bedroom just for us, so we would sleep there for two weeks.

Not sure why my mum was scared because all my uncles would go to work with my dad too, they all worked at the same place for years in the same factory and everyone was used to it. But we still slept in one room.

My cousins however, didn't. They all slept in their own rooms.

It was fun sleeping together. We would listen to each others Kalimah's and Surah's and correct each other and eventually fall asleep.

I think my mum just wanted us to be there with here because we lived in a house on the top floor and our relatives lived on the lower floors. So there was always someone there for us.

I guess it was just anxiety.

Not so long ago, we started putting on the recitation of the Quran. Just Quran from beginning to end or Ruqya, all nite.

At first people thought that it would be disturbing us in the sleep, but that was never the case. We place the MP3 player or mobile device in the hallway so we could all hear it loud and clear.

My dad even suggested that it's distracting, but I told him that people listen to music while going to sleep. If Shaitan can do his handy work like that and let the music corrupt their subconscious mind, can you imagine what the Quran can do! (I won my argument easily) and that's not all, when my parents are at my house, they listen to the Quran too and they don't find it distracting at all. In fact,my mum complained when she couldn't hear the Quran for a few days. I had to explain that it needed a certain type of USB cable and someone borrowed it. Eventually got it back and everyone was back to sleep in peace again.

Of course there are other things like, reciting Ayatul Qursi and blowing around the room.

Praying the last two verses of Surah Baqarah as mentioned in the Hadith and so on.

What other Sunnah methods are there or what do you do to get a good nights sleep?
report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0Like x 1
UK
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 9th July 2019 02:03
Youtube Video

i'll post the description tomorrow inshaAllah
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
MARS
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 9th July 2019 02:17
Do not sleep in daytime except qailoola. Exert your physical and mental energies in whatever tasks you are doing. If after hard work of all day long, still you are not able to sleep then what can I say...

Don't skip daily morning and evening dhikr and quran recitation routine. Offer salah with jamaat.

Drink milk. It's good for sleep. Or better drink lassi (mix some water with milk. Add some sugar for taste) in summer season. Lassi has a very cool effect on a person's mind and body which relaxes it and helps in sleeping.

Always set one time for sleeping daily.

Some years ago, I read somewhere that light helps release certain chemicals in the brain which keep you awake. In villages in the subcontinent, people wake up early in the morning to work in the fields and return to their homes at maghrib prayer. They sleep very early. Electricity is a major reason that we are unable to sleep well. If we switch our lights off and use candles or zero power bulbs after maghrib prayer, then I am sure we will immediately go to sleep after isha prayers. Also avoid going online at night. It's a huge huge drug which keeps you awake and excited longer. Internet is a world in it's own and it's easy to get lost in it's wonders.

Also, take your meal one hour earlier before sleeping. And eat Chapatti. Trust me it's more fulfilling and energetic than those empty, soul less bread.

What I mean is that whatever food you eat. Make sure it's natural, energetic and fulfilling. It's difficult or even impossible to sleep on an empty stomach. Similarly if we try to sleep immediately after meal then that is also not good for our health and digestive system.

Also, don't forget to recite Ayatul Kursi and the four quls along with durood before sleeping.

I don't know how it is possible not to sleep after offering five times prayer with jamaat, dhikr, quran and a productive day.
Also, stop worrying about the future too much. Trust on Allah's qadr and wisdom and try your best and then leave the results to Allah.

Worrying and anxiety is another reason for lack of sleep.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 9th July 2019 07:47
sipraomer wrote:
View original post

Two points I'd like to make here.

1: Women can't pray in jamaat as there is no facility. So they should pray on time at home.

2: The issue of lights. This has been made more apparent in youngsters and the cause is their mobile or tablet.

The mobile gives out a light which tells the brain that it's still daylight out there. This then messes with the body clock.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 9th July 2019 08:30
I'm a semi light sleeper.

I don't know how or why but I have selective hearing when sleeping :)

I can't hear any loud sounds, talking, shouting, banging, knocking on doors etc when I'm sleeping. But the slightest sound made by any of the kids in their rooms, calling out, crying, coughing, anything, and I can hear it and I/we wake up to attend to them if needed.

My wife doesn't understand it and I can't explain it.

Sometimes she asks me how I can sleep at nite. I only respond according to the reasons I know why she can't sleep.

So I tell her that I don't drink tea or coffee in the evenings, usually just in the morning. Whereas she will have tea all day long with two tea bags (she started drinking a stronger brew). So she has a much higher caffeine intake than I do.

That's also made the elder kids want to drink tea, especially at nite :(

I solved that issue by getting decaff tea. it seems to be working for the kids, although my wife was able to tell by the taste, she stopped drinking decaff. I don't know how she can tell the difference in taste. So now, If I'm making the tea, I use one decaf tea bag and one normal tea bag, reducing the caffeine whenever I make it for her.

She always asks me if I used decaff and since I can't lie to her I tell her to taste it and tell me. She drinks a specific brand as she got addicted to it at work

Once I changed all her brand of tea bags with decaff and she started falling asleep. She figured it out and got rid of them all as it was causing her to fall asleep during the day.

Now she's worked out that if she drinks tea at nite, she needs to sleep immediately, otherwise, the caffeine will start working and she won't be able to sleep.

(If some of your are wondering how/why image the tea - it's simple. Firstly I've always told her to never stop me from getting my reward in helping anyone, secondly, the way she has her tea is the easiest to make. i.e. boil the water, add the water into the cup with the tea bags, no sugar in her cup, and add a tiny amount of milk - that's what we call "English tea"

The easiest piece of khidmat ;)
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 9th July 2019 09:03
Sayyiduna Ibn ‘Abbas (radiyallahu’anhu) reported that Allah’s Messenger (saw) said:

“Purify these bodies and Allah سبحانه وتعالى will purify you, for there is no slave who goes to sleep in a state of purity but an Angel spends the night with him, and every time he turns over, [the Angel] says, ‘O Allah! Forgive Your slave, for he went to bed in a state of purity.”
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 9th July 2019 09:21
Taken from Islamqa.

Question

I am suffering from a lack of sleep; I have insomnia. What is the solution? Is there any way to help me sleep?.

Answer

Praise be to Allaah.
We ask Allah to grant us and you well being, protection from all problems and healing from every disease.

We advise you to be patient and seek reward with Allah, may He be glorified and exalted, for He loves those who are patient and rewards those who are grateful. Trials and tests are the divine decree for this world and that is a mercy for the believers and a punishment for the disbelievers. The Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “How wonderful is the situation of the believer, for all his affairs are good. This does not apply to anyone but the believer. If something good happens to him, he gives thanks for it and that is good for him; if something bad happens to him, he bears it with patience, and that is good for him.” Narrated by Muslim, 2999.

It should also be noted that the matter requires some degree of effort and perseverance, as is the case with all psychological or social problems. It takes some gradual training to make oneself get used to something new or to keep away from something reprehensible. Each person knows his own self best and can devise the best approach to achieve the success and wellbeing he wants.

Sleeplessness is a psychological problem which causes difficulty in sleeping, or interrupted sleep or light sleep. It is a modern disease that affects many people for various reasons, including psychological reasons such as pressure, worry, anxiety, waswaas (whispers from the Shaytaan) and so on. And some of its causes are physical because of problems in the function of some organs or the effects of some stimulant substances such as nicotine which is found in tobacco and caffeine which is found in coffee and tea, and other stimulants.

Depending on the reason that has led to this sickness, we can divide the types of remedies into three types:

1.Shar‘i remedies

What is meant here is attaining the peace of mind that wards off all worries, anxieties and waswaas. The hearts and minds that are filled with love of Allah, hope for His reward, fear of His punishment and focusing on Him are more steadfast than those which are preoccupied with matters of this world and ignore the Hereafter.

Attaining this peace of mind is done by adhering to obligatory duties and avoiding sins which continue to eat away at the heart until a person finds himself lost in dark valleys, not knowing how he got there; then by showing kindness towards people by means of a good attitude and kind treatment; by being keen to read the Holy Qur'aan and feel an attachment to the Book of Allah, may He be glorified and exalted, which He described in the following verse (interpretation of the meaning): “O mankind! There has come to you a good advice from your Lord (i.e. the Qur’aan, enjoining all that is good and forbidding all that is evil), and a healing for that which is in your breasts, — a guidance and a mercy (explaining lawful and unlawful things) for the believers” [Yoonus 10:57]. Other means include regularly reciting the adhkaar (dhikr) and awraad (wird) narrated in sharee‘ah, such as the adhkaar for morning and evening, the adhkaar to be recited when going to sleep and waking up and when eating and so on. Allah, may He be glorified and exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning): “Those who believed (in the Oneness of Allaah — Islamic Monotheism), and whose hearts find rest in the remembrance of Allaah verily, in the remembrance of Allaah do hearts find rest” [al-Ra ‘d 13:28].

Moreover, all of that must be accompanied with humility in the heart towards Allah and feeling a sense of His love and closeness, along with sincerity towards Him in public and in private, hoping to attain the state of true servitude towards Him (‘uboodiyyah) which is the basis of success on the Day of Resurrection.

2.Psychological remedies

This means trying to rid oneself of worries and anxiety. That can never be achieved except by believing sincerely in the transient and insignificant nature of this world, and that “If it were equal to a gnat’s wing before Allah He would never give a disbeliever a drink of water in it.” It is too insignificant for a Muslim to worry about what he has lost of it or to fear what may happen to him in it. That should also be accompanied by complete contentment with what Allah has decreed and acceptance of His will and decree. These are the means of the believer attaining honour and happiness. Taking these ideas on board requires some effort, repeatedly telling oneself of them, reading books that affirms them and studying and pondering the verses of the Holy Qur'aan which mention them, until they take root in one's heart and become second nature.

3.Behavioural remedies

This is where one should seek advice from a doctor or psychologist, because some behavioural or physical causes may be unknown to people but are well known to skilled doctors with the knowledge that Allah has enabled them to acquire about the human psyche. You may find a remedy in some foods which help one to sleep properly. The doctor may also find out about some of your bad habits that lead to worry and sleeplessness. In some chronic and difficult cases of insomnia the doctor may also use some calming medicines which will reduce or ward off harm.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen says in Fataawa Noor ‘ala al-Darb (Fataawa Mutafarraqaat/al-Waswaas wa’l-Amraad al-Nafsiyyah):

The case mentioned by the questioner may be faced by many young people because of mental or physical exhaustion. The remedy for that is for the person to allow himself to rest and recuperate; to remember Allah a great deal and read Qur'aan; to always seek refuge with Allah from the accursed Shaytaan; to always ask for forgiveness because seeking forgiveness is one of the means of attaining good and warding off evil; to strive to keep company with good people like him, because a good companion is like the carrier of musk - he will either give you some or sell you some or you will find a good smell from him. He should try to keep away from that which he should not think about, because thinking of something may make a person move from imagining it to actually doing it, but if he tries to ignore it and forget it, then by Allah’s leave it will cease to trouble him. End quote.

We should not forget to point out here the weakness of the reports narrated by some scholars about adkhaar to be recited just before going to sleep in order to free oneself from insomnia. Imam al-Nawawi included a chapter in his book al-Adhkaar (p. 70) entitled:

Bab ma yaqool idha qaliqa fi Firaashihi fa lam yanam (What to say if one feels anxious in bed and cannot sleep):

We narrated in the book of Ibn al-Sunni that Zayd ibn Thaabit (may Allah be pleased with him) said:

I complained to the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) about insomnia that I was suffering from. He said: Say: O Allah, the stars have come out and eyes have closed, and You are the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists; neither slumber nor sleep overtakes You. O Ever-Living, O Sustainer, bring calm to my night and let my eyes sleep. O Allah, take away from me what I am suffering.

And we narrated from Muhammad ibn Yahya ibn Habbaan from Khaalid ibn al-Waleed (may Allah be pleased with him) that he suffered from insomnia and he complained about that to the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him), and he told him, when going to sleep, to seek refuge in the perfect words of Allah from His anger and from the evil of His slaves and from the whisperings of the devils, lest they come near. This hadeeth is mursal; Muhammad ibn Yahya is a Taabi‘i.

And we narrated in the book of al-Tirmidhi, in a da‘eef report that was classed as such by al-Tirmidhi, that Buraydah (may Allah be pleased with him) said: Khaalid ibn al-Waleed (may Allah be pleased with him) complained to the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him): O Messenger of Allah, I cannot sleep at night because of insomnia. The Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: When you go to your bed, say: O Allah, Lord of the seven heavens and what they shade, Lord of the seven earths and what they contain, Lord of the devils and what they misguide, be a protection for me from the evil of all Your creation, lest any of them wrong me or transgress against me. The one who is under Your protection is honoured; may You be glorified and praised, there is no god beside You, there is no god but You. End quote.

These hadeeths are da‘eef, as has been determined by the scholars such as Ibn Hajar in Nataa’ij al-Afkaar, 3/114 and al-Mataalib al-‘Aaliyah, 4/20; and by al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Da’eefah, 2403, and others.

And Allah knows best.
+1 -0
Rank Image
MARS
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 9th July 2019 09:23
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

Light in the room is brighter and gives stronger message. And yes tablet and mobile are a problem indeed! Light in any form is not good at night. Nights were meant to be darker and not brighter :)
No post ratings
Rank Image
MARS
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 9th July 2019 09:29
I sleep in complete darkness and complete silence.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 9th July 2019 09:31
sipraomer wrote:
View original post

Light in the room has a different effect than a mobile in a dark room. There was an article on it in the MuftiSays Gadget Guide. Something to do with blue light and darkness fooling the brain into artificial daylight - then sudden darkness but the image is still stuck in the eyes and you can still have a visual of the screen after switching it off. try it but only if you won't blame me for it's effects :)
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 9th July 2019 09:32
Taken from Islamqa.

Most people’s diseases are not physical, rather they are psychosomatic.

Dr al-Faarez says: It became clear that for four out of five patients their sickness had no physical basis at all, rather their sickness stemmed from fear, anxiety, resentment and selfishness, and a person’s inability to create harmony between himself and life.

Look at how Ya’qoob (peace be upon him) wept for his son Yoosuf (peace be upon him) and lost his sight. Look at how distress overwhelmed ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) when the people slandered her by telling lies about her, and she kept weeping so much that she said: “I though that grief would tear me apart.” Agreed upon.

Dr Hassaan Shamsi Pasha said:

In the event of anxiety, secretion of a substance called adrenaline increases in the blood, the blood pressure rises, the heart rate increases, and a person feels heart palpitations or may feel as if something is sinking to the bottom of his chest.

He may become paranoid and rush from one doctor to another, wondering what is wrong with his heart, when there is nothing wrong in his body but he still suffers pain in his stomach and has indigestion, or bloating in his abdomen, or frequent urination or headaches.

You have to have faith and fear Allaah; always recite dhikr and wirds that are prescribed in sharee’ah, because this is one of the greatest remedies that will get rid of the thoughts that are going around in your mind and the things that hearts grieve over.

Some of the du’aa’s narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) that deal with such matters include the following:

1 – It was narrated from Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to say: “Allaahumma inni a’oodhu bika min al-hammi wa’l-hazani wa’l’ajzi wa’l-kasali wa’l-jubni wa’l-bukhli wa dala’ il-dayn wa ghalbat al-rijaal (O Allaah, I seek refuge with You from worry, grief, incapacity, laziness, cowardice, miserliness, from being heavily indebt and from being overcome by men).” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 6008.

2 – It was narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If a person who is afflicted by anxiety or sorrow says: ‘Allaahumma inni ‘abduka wa ibnu ‘abdika wa ibn ammatika naasiyati bi yadika maadin fiyya hukmuka ‘adlun fiyya qadaa’uka as’aluka bi kulli ismin huwa laka sammayta bihi nafsaka aw ‘allamtahu ahadan min khalqika aw anzaltahu fi kitaabika aw asta’tharta bihi fi ‘ilm il-ghaybi ‘indaka an taj’al al-Qur’aana rabee’a qalbi wa nooar sadri wa jalaa’a huzni wa dhahaaba hammi (O Allaah, I am Your slave, son of Your slave, son of Your female slave, my forelock is in Your hand, Your command over me is forever executed and Your decree over me is just. I ask You by every name belonging to You with which You have named Yourself, or, or You have taught to any of Your creation, or You have revealed in Your Book, or You have preserved in the knowledge of the Unseen with You, that You make the Qur’aan the life of my heart and the light of my breast, and a departure for my sorrow and a release for my anxiety)’, then Allaah will take away his anxiety and sorrow, and will replace it with joy.”

It was said: “O Messenger of Allaah, should we not learn it?” He said: “Yes, whoever hears it should learn it.”

Narrated by Ahmad, 3704; classed as saheeh by Shaykh al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Saheehah, 199.

3 – It was narrated that Sa’d ibn Abi Waqqaas said: The Messenger of Allaah (S) said: “The prayer of Dhu’l-Noon which he said when he was in the belly of the fish: ‘Laa ilaaha illa Anta, subhaanaka inni kuntu min al-zaalimeen (none has the right to be worshipped but You (O Allaah), Glorified (and Exalted) be You [above all that (evil) they associate with You]! Truly, I have been of the wrongdoers’ [cf al-Anbiya’ 21:87]. No Muslim man calls upon Allaah with these words concerning any matter but Allaah will answer him.”

Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 3505
No post ratings
Rank Image
MARS
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 9th July 2019 09:39
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

Unnecessary light at night is bad. Case closed.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 9th July 2019 09:45
sipraomer wrote:
View original post

If I was given Light upon Light, day or night. I would be the happiest man in the World ;)

That's why I prefer having the Quran on for the benefit of the kids as well as us.

Only thing is, during summer, we can't really use it much due to the windows being open and disturbing the neighbours (who are not Muslims)

No post ratings
Rank Image
MARS
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 9th July 2019 09:51
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

That light is good light. I was talking about bad light.
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 9th July 2019 09:56
One of the treatments prescribed in Islam is to recite the du’aa’s narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to relieve worries and distress, for example, the saheeh hadeeth narrated from Ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him): “There is no-one who is afflicted by distress and grief, and says: ‘Allaahumma inni ‘abduka ibn ‘abdika ibn amatija naasyati bi yadika, maada fiyya hukmuka, ‘adlun fiyya qadaa’uka. As’aluka bi kulli ismin huwa laka sammayta bihi nafsaka aw anzaltahu fi kitaabika aw ‘allamtahu ahadan min khalqika aw ista’tharta bihi fi ‘ilm il-ghayb ‘indaka an taj’al al-Qur’aana al-‘Azeema rabee’ qalbi wa noor sadri wa jalaa’ huzni wa dhihaab hammi

(O Allaah, I am Your slave, son of Your slave, son of Your maidservant; my forelock is in Your hand, Your command over me is forever executed and Your decree over me is just. I ask You by every name belonging to You which You have named Yourself with, or revealed in Your Book, or You taught to any of Your creation, or You have preserved in the knowledge of the Unseen with You, that You make the Holy Qur’aan the life of my heart and the light of my breast, and a departure for my sorrow and a release for my anxiety),’ but Allaah will take away his distress and grief.”
This is one of the remedies prescribed in sharee’ah.

One may also say: “Laa ilaaha illa anta, subhaanaka inni kuntu min al-zaalimeen (There is no god but You, glorified (and exalted) are You, truly I have been of the wrongdoers).” [cf. al-Anbiya’ 21:87]

Another form of treatment is ruqya with which a person may treat himself – which is better. The Messenger (saw) used to do ruqyah for himself by reciting al-Mi’wadhatayn (the last two soorahs of the Qur’aan) when he went to sleep, then he would wipe his face and whatever he could of his body. Or a person may go to someone whose religious commitment he trusts to do ruqyah for him.
No post ratings