Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Questions regarding life in general

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Unspecified
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 3rd November 2004 13:32
Salaams,

If someone asks a question that is more a personal choice or preference rather than an issue relating to shariah should Muftis/ulema answer it?

i.e If someone is having a relationship problem and feels divorce is necessary isn't it inappropriete for the Mufti to say anything but the shariah ruling on divorce and maybe state the hadith concerning it.

What qualifies a Mufti to give advice concerning someone's life in general, after all many are young and haven't lived enough to actually give any truly useful advice for some issues fall out of the area of their expertise (Quran and Hadith)

Please give your views on this.
report post quote code quick quote reply
+0 -0Agree x 1
UK
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 3rd November 2004 16:04
Wa Alaikum Salam

A Mufti/'Aalim knows the dangers/benefits of issues according to Sharee'ah. If a person has problems/difficulties, Allah has given that person an understanding to figure out the cause, however, they may not have the knowledge to realize its danger which may have also been mentioned in Qur'aan/Ahadeeth.

This topic was also discussed amongst us. Its a common issue being raised.

Also, if a person has a problem and they now want to make a decision, one is a personal decision (as you have said) and one is a decision in the light of Ahadeeth of virtues/wa'eed etc that they might not have even know about until they consulted one who knows whether it be a scholar, a person who happens to know from their interest in Islam or even from a book sitting at home. Would you prefer the personal choice over the latter because it is a "Personal Choice/Preference"?
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Unspecified
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 4th November 2004 08:29
Jazakallah for answering the question so quickly.

Though I some part of me still tends to disagree i can see where you're coming from.

"Would you prefer the personal choice over the latter because it is a "Personal Choice/Preference"?"

Of course it is better to make the decision in the light of Quran and Hadith this goes without saying. However, the fact that we have four schools of thoughts goes some way to prove that even in the light of Quran and hadith it does come down to the person making the decision on the facts/issues before him/her at the end of the day.

After taking the Ulema's advice I still think it is up to the individual to make their choice. That and Mufti's often answer a question without stating what Ayah or hadith they are basing the opinion.

For example I have seen many questions answered and the Hadith(words to the effect) concerning "not imitating the ways of non-believers". One such example of this is "piercings", how is it permissible to pierce the nose but not the naval?(I dislike both). Both seem to be mutilation of the body and both are imitations of the ways of non-believers in equal measure. Yet one is deemed permissible and the other not.(not by the ulema on this site but this is the general consensus from what I've found).

In short if the person makes the decision themselves instead of blindly following others they will be responsible for the out come. Whereas if they follow such and such a mufti they can lay blame upon him.
+0 -0Agree x 1
UK
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 9th November 2004 23:37
Again, only a few words to clear this situation InshAllah.

An advice with Islamic perspectives kept in mind are not Fatwa's. It is called Advice. It is an option. It is the responsibilty of the person to carry out the advice Islamically or at the least, implement the advice in their own decision.

Remember, advice is advice (optional), not a Fatwa.

Wassalam.

May Allah give us all the ability to keep positive minds regarding the Ulamaa and not let Shaytaan play with the heart building doubt and causing Fitnah amongst the Muslims. Ameen
No post ratings