Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open
 

Aligarh and Deoband

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Thread Tools
Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
Maripat's avatar
Offline
Gham-o-Huzn
3,269
Brother
3,503
Maripat's avatar
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 24th November 2018 05:27
Quote:
With my favourite politician.., a prominent JNUite and husband of my niece Sitaram Yechury at the Constitution Club


This is a Facebook post from a retired Muslim professor who was educated at Aligarh and JNU and served there.

In another similar social media kind of snippet some called alumni of AMU as middle class dead bodies in Sherwanis.

These are only two inconvenient items about people with modern education associated with Aligarh. There will be many more.

I would like to talk about Aligarh and Deoband in this thread, positive and negative aspects.
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
back to top
Rank Image
Offline
MARS
2,170
Brother
332
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 24th November 2018 05:59
Maripat wrote:
View original post


Aoa, Waiting for your next posts in this thread.
report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0Like x 1
back to top
Rank Image
Maripat's avatar
Offline
Gham-o-Huzn
3,269
Brother
3,503
Maripat's avatar
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 24th November 2018 06:39
Why is the Report Post button just above the like button?

I am sorry brother siprao in case I have ended up reporting your post - I did not mean it.

I'll process the next post soon, IA.
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
back to top
Rank Image
Maripat's avatar
Offline
Gham-o-Huzn
3,269
Brother
3,503
Maripat's avatar
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 24th November 2018 07:05
We Muslims talk a lot about the unity of Ummah.

Indeed this chimera called unity of Muslims is one of the things that the west is so scared of. Just utter Shariah, Ummah, Caliphate and watch them melt down.

It is to soothe the nerves of the jittery western that I have my signature - that you can read below every one of my posts for many years by now.

Then we can come to the task of talking about unity of Ummah. We got to talk of that at the international level and we have to talk about that at national level. I live in India and thus by national level I mean at the level of India.

India we need unity between the Salafis, Barelwis and Deobandis. Indeed i the All India Muslim personal Law Board we are already working together. Of course we have taken even the Shias with us but personally I am plainly incapable of handling that issue, even academically.

Then we have to work on the problems of the Muslims of India and the problems of the global Ummah.

Then there is another unity that we need in India. Unity between Deoband and Aligarh.

It is true that Deoband Ulama come to Aligarh as a matter of routine. It is also true that many of the academicians from Aligarh have Deoband inclination. Yet the fact remains that the two streams have no formal or even informal working relationship with each other. I know many Aligarh people who talk morbidly about Mullah. Indeed the former PVC of AMU asked a question to a friend of mine,"Who is this Mullah Maripat?" The disdain is plain in this question. And this disdain is more common than the love of the Deoband oriented academics of AMU. Clearly something has to be done in this regard. And then there is this question of Deoband's ground level attitude towards AMU and modern education.

It is strange that this problem has not been solved neither formally nor completely at the informal level.

I would like to talk about Deoband attitudes and Aligarh attitudes and related issues in this thread.
report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0
back to top
Rank Image
Offline
MARS
2,170
Brother
332
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 24th November 2018 09:42
Maripat wrote:
View original post


No, you have liked my post. Not reported it. No need to be sorry.
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
back to top
Rank Image
Offline
MARS
2,170
Brother
332
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 24th November 2018 09:47
Maripat wrote:
View original post


Quote:
Why is the Report Post button just above the like button?


Yeah indeed, the placement of the buttons need re-designing. A good interface design provides good accessibility for people of all ages as well as is aesthetically pleasing.
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
back to top
Rank Image
Offline
MARS
2,170
Brother
332
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 24th November 2018 10:04
Maripat wrote:
View original post

Quote:
And this disdain is more common than the love of the Deoband oriented academics of AMU.


Very true. This phenomena is not limited to Aligarh. Secular institutions (around the whole subcontinent at least) promote this kind of anti mullah hatred. Some openly and some in a hidden academic way. Even some parts of the curriculum encourage this kind of secular, western, modernist, anti Islamic feeling.

It is my personal opinion that Ulema should leave and shun politics altogether and put all of their energies in social welfare of the society. The examples of Muslim Brotherhood, Tayyab Erdagon, Eidhi and others at government, institutional and individual level are enough proof that the people like those who bring them material benefit. They can better give dawah and spread the deen in this manner. Instead of screaming for attention, they must take practical steps for the betterment of the society and at one point, people will start listening to them automatically. Today the media and academia portrays Mullah community as backward, extreme, angry and anti-social. The religious community is equally responsible for this image. However, it can be changed if practicing Muslims start participating for the betterment of the society while being firm in not to be bullied in leaving their traditional values and honour.

Sorry, if my post was off topic and I apologize if I polluted your thread but I couldn't help it.
report post quote code quick quote reply
+4 -0Like x 4Agree x 1
back to top
Rank Image
Maripat's avatar
Offline
Gham-o-Huzn
3,269
Brother
3,503
Maripat's avatar
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 24th November 2018 15:09
No, your post was absolutely on the topic and once again I realize that our points of views are clear to each other. Agreement-disagreement is part of life but it is very nice be understood by fellow Muslims.
report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0Like x 1
back to top
Rank Image
Muadh_Khan's avatar
Offline
UK
11,537
Brother
107
Muadh_Khan's avatar
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 24th November 2018 15:28

sipraomer wrote:
View original post

This is a good observation, Masha'Allah. Please pay attention to his words:

It is my personal opinion that Ulema should leave and shun politics altogether and put all of their energies in social welfare of the society. The examples of Mulsim Brotherhood, Tayyab Erdagon, Eidhi and others at government, institutional and individual level are enough proof that the people like those who bring them material benefit. They can better give dawah and spread the deen in this manner. Instead of screaming for attention, they must take practical steps for the betterment of the society and at one point, people will start listening to them automatically. Today the media and academia portrays Mullah community as backward, extreme, angry and anti-social. The religious community is equally responsible for this image. However, it can be changed if practicing Muslims start participating for the betterment of the society while being firm in not to be bullied in leaving their traditional values and honour.

report post quote code quick quote reply
+2 -0Like x 2
back to top
Rank Image
Maripat's avatar
Offline
Gham-o-Huzn
3,269
Brother
3,503
Maripat's avatar
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 16th December 2018 07:47
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

I am sorry Khan Sahab for bringing the discussion from your thread to this place. I am doing so because the issue is relevant in this context too.

I am going to mix up your concerns with my own concerns and I find that legitimate because of the fact that there are enough things common to our aims and objectives.

Basically the question boils down to what we can hope for and expect from our theological establishment.

Our theological establishment, I mean the Deoband stream, have decided that they will confine themselves to the teaching of the Baghdadi Qa-ida. I find that very unfortunate and a wrong decision.

Of course there are notable exceptions.

First of all I shall take these exceptions.

First exception was Deoband itself. To begin with Deoband was an armed movement against the British. The Elders, the Akabir, in the leadership of Hazrat Haji Imdadullah Sahab Muhajir Makki RA took control of the British armour depot in control in the UP town of Shamli in 1857.

Then the things went against them very badly and soon the Mujahideen were running to save their lives. That is how Hazrat Imdadullah became Muhajir in Makkah.

Then we come to the twentieth century when some people from the same tradition made a government for India in exile in Kabul in today's Afghanistan.

These were the same people, of course a generation or two removed but the ideological lineage was the same.

Then we have the people of Jamiat-e-Ulema-e-Hind who had joined forces withe the Indian National Congress to oust the British from India.

Let us also not forget the Muslim League just because its focus later on became the creation of Pakistan. Many of the people from the League are known for their untiring efforts for sending the British out of India.

Cut to the present. We have Jamiat-e-Ulema-e-Hind that works for the Muslims who have suffered due to communal violence in India or the Muslims who have been wrongly implicated in terror activities in India and are languishing in jails.

Then we have Maulana Badruddin Ajmal who has reached the Indian parliament and hence he is facing the real world rather than retreating to to the ivory tower called the Madarsa.

Then we had late Maulana Asrar-ul-Haq Sahab Qasmi who took to the streets to serve the people at the worldly level.

Let us also not forget Pir Zulfiqar Sahab Naqshbandi who did gather the guts to reach Burma at the time when the Rohingya were being put to genocide there.

I suppose we should make a thorough assessment of these things before we go over to the next - what we Dahariya type of Muslims desire and want from the Maulwi Sahab.
report post quote code quick quote reply
+2 -0Like x 2
back to top
Rank Image
Maripat's avatar
Offline
Gham-o-Huzn
3,269
Brother
3,503
Maripat's avatar
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 19th December 2021 15:20
Hating Aligarh


The modern educated Indian Muslims not associated with AMU hate us.
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
back to top
Rank Image
Offline
India
236
Brother
-100
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 19th December 2021 16:46
Maripat wrote:
View original post


I don't hate AMU. This is my dream to visit AMU once. Stay and go around the whole campus. I passed through Aligarh Railway station during my journey and breathed the air near AMU.

But I disagree with Aligs ending up with multiple Phds, as professors in AMU itself or other institutions.

"Ham azaad zindagi chahte hain" is the slogan.
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
back to top
Rank Image
Offline
Unspecified
547
Brother
-6
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 19th December 2021 17:02
Maripat wrote:
View original post

Quote:
The modern educated Indian Muslims not associated with AMU hate us.

I have to be honest with you, Sir. Initially, I did not have a good impression about AMU because of sheer ignorance. It was only when I saw firsthand professors from Aligarh come to us in the hinterland, and the sophistication of their understanding of worldly issues, as well as their commitment to deen, that jolted me out of my smug existence. I then began to read up on marhoom Sir Sayyed. In my ignorance, I had thought of him as some sort of mulhid, when in fact he was a visionary. The best tarjuman of Sir Sayyed were these professors from Aligarh who visited us in jamat.
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
back to top
Rank Image
bint e aisha's avatar
Offline
Unspecified
2,477
Sister
1,637
bint e aisha's avatar
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 19th December 2021 19:32
sharjan8643 wrote:
View original post

sharjan8643 wrote:
I then began to read up on marhoom Sir Sayyed. In my ignorance, I had thought of him as some sort of mulhid, when in fact he was a visionary.

A mulhid cannot be a visionary?
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
back to top
Rank Image
Maripat's avatar
Offline
Gham-o-Huzn
3,269
Brother
3,503
Maripat's avatar
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 20th December 2021 04:46
hammad880 wrote:
View original post

Quote:
I don't hate AMU.

Thanks.
sharjan8643 wrote:
View original post

Quote:
I have to be honest with you, Sir. Initially, I did not have a good impression about AMU because of sheer ignorance. It was only when I saw firsthand professors from Aligarh come to us in the hinterland, and the sophistication of their understanding of worldly issues, as well as their commitment to deen, that jolted me out of my smug existence. I then began to read up on marhoom Sir Sayyed. In my ignorance, I had thought of him as some sort of mulhid, when in fact he was a visionary. The best tarjuman of Sir Sayyed were these professors from Aligarh who visited us in jamat.

Lovely.
bint e aisha wrote:
View original post

Quote:
A mulhid cannot be a visionary?

Oh sweetie!
report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0Like x 1
back to top