Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Comprehensive Pakistan Thread

Jump to page:

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
abuzayd2k, bint e aisha, Abdur Rahman ibn Awf, sipraomer, tanveerzakee, sharjan8643
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#196 [Permalink] Posted on 31st August 2018 00:02
Dutch cartoon contest and protests in Pakistan: All for show?

Geert Wilders' competition as well as demands behind rallies in Pakistan only exist for attention, two analysts argue

An announcement by Geert Wilders, a far-right Dutch opposition leader, to hold a competition for cartoons depicting Islam's Prophet Muhammad has led to protests in Pakistan, where the far-right Tehreek-e-Labbaik Pakistan (TLP) threatened to blockade Islamabad unless the country severs diplomatic relations with the Netherlands.

Physical depictions of God or the Prophet Muhammad are forbidden in Islam, and the TLP says the competition amounts to "blasphemy".

Late on Thursday, Wilders cancelled the event, citing security concerns.

According to Sehar Tariq, a counter violent extremism researcher based in Islamabad, and Stijn van Kessel, a political scientist based in London, the reason behind the announcement by Wilders' Freedom Party and the TLP's demands is the same: attention.

Both parties have not been as successful recently as they had hoped, so generating controversy is a perfect opportunity to rile up their far-right base.

Al Jazeera spoke to both experts and asked them to explain the situation both Wilders and the TLP are in.

Sehar Tariq, counter violent extremism analyst, based in Islamabad. She is also the country representative for the United States Institute of Peace (USIP).

Al Jazeera: How does holding this protest benefit TLP?

Sehar Tariq: The Tehreek-e-Labbaik Pakistan didn't do as well at the polls as they had hoped, I think, and so this helps to bring them back to political relevance in Pakistan, and it keeps their voter base engaged. They are a single-issue party, so this is great for them, that such an event has emerged in the Netherlands.

They can use this to keep the base engaged. Without [events like Wilders' cartoon competition], they risk becoming irrelevant. This is a reminder that "Hey! We are here, and we are watching and are ready to fight on the issue of blasphemy".

Read more at
www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/08/dutch-cartoon-contest-prot...
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#197 [Permalink] Posted on 4th September 2018 10:06
Imran Khan : To UN via OIC about Namoos-e-Risalat SAW

If this is not a mature response do a statesman then I don’t know what is.

Anyone debating here the “merits” of drawing cartoons of the prophet and “freedom of speech” will have his or her comments deleted.

Any drivel on religions and abuse will lead to you being blocked and reported.

This is about a thought of response to tackling the divide though an international platform and the UN.

Jason Keith Fernandes : You know I am probably the last person to engage in Islamophobic Prophet slamming, but this argument of his is bullshit. Speaking as a practicing Catholic, I see tons of offensive stuff being said about Jesus, Mary, the saints. What does one do? One ignores it, or points to why this is happening. One doesn't ban all kinds of indecorous references to them.

Also, because this is a slippery slope. My Islamic theological understanding of the Prophet may be different from yours. Are you going to turn around and say that I am being blasphemous? This is exactly what is happening to Muslim minorities within Islam.

No, no. This is all dangerous rhetoric he is attempting.

Aftab Shibli Fatmi : A person will cease to be a Muslim if he doesn't believe prophet Jesus as one of the mightiest messenger of Allah SUBHANTALA. If a person does not believe that Prophet Jesus was born without a male intervention then he or she cannot be a Muslim. Please remember that for we the Muslims Jesus is very important prophet. We have a complete verse called Surah Mariam in holy quran. I have not seen such a detailed coverage in bible. I have read bible several times and can read it again to understand Hazrat Mariam.

Rana Nabi: jason fernandes, i totally understand what ur saying ,m lot of people on this thread will not,people dont get it that a prophet for me may not be a prophet for others , imran khan should not play with fire

Jahanzeb Mashhadi : Like the post said .. it’s an attempt at dialogue instead of moronic protests on the roads or mindless violence. That for me is a welcome approach.

The other of course as you say is ignoring it.

But then there’s never been a concentrated campaign and an idiot Campaignig for a “competition to draw offensive cartoons about Jesus” and then awarding a winner ... has there? An elected member of a government calling for taunting and demonizing Muslims ? Banning scarfs and robes and the Jewish skullcap ?

There’s a collected attempt to ridicule and malign. You more than me will know specifics and history.

The response so far has been asshole maulvis calling for mindless violence.

This is a dignified response and a far better one.

Milind Kher : There is actually no justification for reviling respected figures of any faith. There need to be universal community standards that prevent "freedom of expression" aimed at hurting the feelings of others

Aftab Shibli Fatmi : Today abusing prophet Muhammed saw and Islam is a flourishing business in Europe. Approximately 700 to 800 stuff is printed each year. Instead of being violent and forming mobs which often goes out of control hit them hard where it hurts most... Their business. At least hurt their economy for one year and result will be before us.

Rahul Bharat : Another way would be to grow some thick skin. Why does a Muslim expect non Muslims to compulsorily share her respect for the prophet?
Are Hindus who expect non Hindus to share their reverence for cow also right?
Should all Hindus similarly go to UN to put a stop to Cow slaughter throughout the world?
You may bring in utility. But people make money by mocking the prophet just like they do by selling beef!!!

Mahwish Naseem : Not sharing someone’s belief and mocking it are two completely separate issues.
A Hindu’s choice to not eat beef should and I believe is respected but I’m sure should a person or group start to mock that choice, it will hurt their sentiment.
Similarly, a Muslim’s beef isn’t the entire world not believing/revering our Prophet the way we do. But mocking him is unacceptable.
Perhaps dialogue like this is one of the biggest reasons to raise this at the U.N.

Jahanzeb Mashhadi : I’m not asking for compulsory respect. Don’t respect him. There is no need to ridicule also ? Right ? And .. please read my reply below. I’m talking about the response which is the first sane one in a long time. And yes growing a thick skin is an alternative spelled out in my post itself 🙂

Jahanzeb Mashhadi : And the beef thing ? Really ? 🙂 don’t Hindus eat beef ? And the scriptures not talk about eating beef ?? Come on ? Are Muslims calling for a worldwide pork ban ? Or a liquor ban ? If a Muslim today drew a caricature of a Hindu deity, there would be rivers of blood in India sir!!
Remember MF Hussain ?

Kanishka Sinha : Respect and ridicule are not objective facts. What one person says is respect another person might say is a lack of respect. What one person says is a lack of respect, another person might say is ridicule.

Some atheist could easily say that the Koran ridicules non believers and should be banned as a result. Muslims might not call it ridicule or even argue that it is justified.

So let people say what they want to say. Debate it or ignore it if you disagree.

But don't kill or outlaw people from saying what they want to say (short of incitement to violence).

Kanishka Sinha : Mohammad smashed idols of the prevailing religion of his day and criticised and insulted the religion to the extent that the followed of that religion tried to kill him.

Why was it ok for him to do that to other religions?

And not ok for others to do the same for his?

Wajiha Tariq : Umm I think you’re referring to the bloodless conquest of Makkah.... also during no other wars between Muslims and non Muslims were idols smashed or destroyed.
Mohammed (pbuh) was bribed and threatened to stop talking about message of Islam not for drawing funny cartoons of other religions. There’s a big difference. In fact Muslims were threatened and treated so badly that they had to migrate to Madinah.
This thread is not about your or my opinions of other religious figures , it’s simply about respect . You may not respect a religion but respect human beings. Realize the fact that their sentiment counts as much as yours.
Till date in sub continent beef is commonly known as ‘bara gosht ‘... whether that is out of fear of Hindus or respect I donot know ... but the term exists for a reason.

Kanishka Sinha : So respect others' right to draw cartoon figures which they believe is an expression of something sacred to them - freedom of expression.

Your definition of free speech seems to be you can say what you think is respectful and they can say what you think is respectful.

Wajiha Tariq : Kanishka Sinha I understand your passion for freedom of speech . But you seem to be confusing freedom of speech with freedom to abuse. When our kids are called names in schools , we rise up in anger and call it bullying... no one protects bullying by calling it freedom of speech. When a representative of government declares that he wants to hold a competition of ridiculing the sentiments of a certain segment of society .. how is that responsible behavior. How is that an educated approach . How will it bridge gaps between an already radicalized world. So basically the new world order is ‘I will call you names and bully you, but you better not mind it because it’s my right to humiliate you’ ... RIP world peace.

Syed Aamir Hussain : Where goes your freedom of speech when it comes to Israel or Holocaust ?
Why double standard ?

Kanishka Sinha : Children need to be psychologically protected.

Adults need to be adults.

If they didn't the first book that should be banned is the Koran for the amount of verbal bullying it does to polytheists and non believers.

Why does the Koran have the right to abuse?

Kanishka Sinha : And I completely agree that there should be no laws preventing holocaust denial, criticism of Israel, etc.

Jahanzeb Mashhadi : The koran abuses ? That’s not accurate.

Kanishka Sinha : That's my experience of it.

Just as your experience of the cartoons is insulting.…See More

Syed Aamir Hussain : Kanishka Sinha where do live , in dreams ? Quran is the word of God Almighty .Please read it thoroughly before commenting on it . If you have read and found any objection ,I will reply each point .

Syed Aamir Hussain : Kanishka Sinha please give reference

Syed Aamir Hussain : Kanishka Sinha on one side you say you are atheist and on the other you are objecting hell and torture ? Since you do not believe in religion you should have no objection for hereafter

Mahwish Naseem : Kanishka Sinha Your (ignorant) understanding of the Koran is perhaps one of the key reasons to have an open dialogue on religion. Though it does seem from your retorts that you would much rather pick a line out of context, use distorted facts (like the idols in Makkah) and continue to live in your warped reality. For you to so callously misinterpret the Koran is just as if I, as an outsider, starts believing all Hindus are lynchers based on the current state of affairs. This would be border line amusing if it weren't extremely venemous.
Ma
Wajiha Tariq : Kanishka Sinha totally agreed ! Hence you should be psychologically protected too and therefore I won’t talk about religion or free society or any of those difficult subjects . 😊 happy now !

Jahanzeb Mashhadi : Kanishka Singh ..
Okay so you continue to protest about the Koran.. since that’s your experience of it..
And I will continue to protest the cartoons .. since my experience is hurtful.

What are we debating then ?

And I will say this for the last time .. this post was about apprecsiting the mode sought about registering a protest in a civil manner instead of mindless violence where the ground rules are no one is allowed to get violent or hurt anyone.

So WHAT EXACTLY are you raining all over the post about ?

I had said this in the beginning that any religious debate and drivel about the merits of islam, and you will be booted out of the thread. But we engaged.

As an atheist and your whole stance on “tolerance” which you find completely lacking in the Koran, you aren’t very tolerant yourself are you ?

Because you will take away the right to even protest against the cartoons ? Even if they are peaceful and seeking an international body as a mediator ?.. While you can be as vicious in crticism of a faith, a man and a book as you please? You want muslism to grow a thick skin or look the other way .. but you can be vicous about faith?

That’s hypocrisy. At its finest.

Kanishka Sinha I have not said anything about taking away anybody's right to protest.

I'm not going to debate it further.

The sheer level of incomprehension on simple arguments is baffling to me.

The mismatch of paradigms between the liberal world and Islamic world will continue.

Bye.

Wajiha Tariq : Kanishka Sinha oh no pls don’t go !! I was just beginning to like you 😞... and I want to psychologically protect you too . Stay .

Source : Facebook Post by Jahanzeb Mashhadi
+2 -0Winner x 2
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#198 [Permalink] Posted on 21st November 2018 08:31
Maulana Fazl-ur-Rahman of Pakistan

It was very sobering, gut wrenching and ego deflating moment when I came to know that Maulana Fazl-ur-Rahman MMA of Pakistan was on the US pay roll. It left me completely dumb. It left me engrossed in retrospection and deep in thoughts. It was clear that if he was on the American pay roll then there must be many others from our religio-political establishment who are similarly on the US pay roll. How many of them will be there who are like him? It was clear that the number will be good enough for US to have Pakistan completely under its thumb. Please understand that the military of Pakistan is separately under US control and it definitely will be through similar channels or money plus diplomatic arm twisting.

The crisis this generates for us is most serious. We can not trust our own leaders. They are working for the enemy.

I heard another similar episode. A Maulwi friend went to Pakistan. There he got feelers for an opportunity to meet some Taliban commander. Person who are visiting Pakistan with this Maulwi, his Shaikh's son, was rather excited at the opportunity. The Maulwi thought better and erred on the side of precaution. So they did not meet this commander. Then they returned to India. two years after that visit the CBI man came to this Maulwi and told him that I have made inquiries about you and I am not going to press any charges against you and you are a free man. This Maulwi was perplexed because at no point of time he felt as if he was in any kind of wrong for which he might end up on the worse side of the intelligence agencies. But the CBI man was specific and solved his perplexity. He told the Maulvi that in addition to your reported programme you had gone to a house in a car with that number and these were the people with you and you had not reported this to the police.

It was clear that Pakistani intelligence was giving, most probably the sleuths for money without telling the Pakistani establishment, about all the movement of Indians visiting Pakistan.

When you are living in a society with this kind of environment you only get a chill through your spine.

Of course this kind of events leave yours truly in cold completely. As a result one is left further alone in the pursuit of solving the problems of the Ummah. When you realize that even the leaders are sold out when you are under the scanner even in your routine life then you think hard about putting yourself in the inconvenient situation.

Not that I had any plans at any time for any abrasive activity. But remember the episode with Dr Zakir Naik? What was his fault? He simply asserted the truth of Islam and at the end of the day it is favour to those who have not yet come to Islam. But do they consider it as a favour? No.They consider it an offense. All they have to do is to say that no thanks dr Zakir Naik we shall not enter the fold of Islam and our matter is sorted out with them. But that did not happen. They went after him using some very old laws and the like.

But then my aim in writing this post or the posts of this kind is not to discourage but to come out of these hurdles because the work has to be done in spite of all these hurdles.

By the way I do not get discouraged, at the end of the day, by these things. There are other things that have very bad effect on me. For example when my brothers, not here at MS but in life in general, tell me or insinuate that this task that I find myself in is silly, futile and that I am not connected to reality on the ground.
+3 -0Like x 1Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#199 [Permalink] Posted on 21st November 2018 11:24
Maripat wrote:
View original post

Assalamu alaikum

I can't believe this!! I don't like Maulana because he is a politician (and all politicians are liars). But still without evidence I cannot accept what you've written.
+1 -0Agree x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#200 [Permalink] Posted on 21st November 2018 12:58
bint e aisha wrote:
View original post

I agree with you. I don't care about the politics of it all either, but I am still not inclined towards believing this. Of course, there has been talk like this since many years in Pakistan about Maulana, but I have always thought of that as drivel from the secular crowd who hates anyone associated with practical Islam anyways.
+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#201 [Permalink] Posted on 21st November 2018 14:58
It is obviously difficult to 'prove' such things,there can only be perceptions...

The perception of Moulana in general is not good,but nobody has proved any monitory wrong doings against him,neither have anybody cared to produce any solid evidence.

The political behaviour of Moulana is objectionable to some and perfectly acceptable to others. Mostly,he is criticised for being in every government and supporting anyone who is in office. The response of Moulana to such criticism is simple and straight :"He has to do it to protect Madaris"...

Wallaho alam
+2 -0
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#202 [Permalink] Posted on 21st November 2018 15:30

bint e aisha wrote:
View original post

I assure you my sister that the shock of this is much larger for me than it possibly can be to you. I have waited for more than a year before typing those words. Also I would like to assert that I mostly try to keep a good opinion of others, even from among the common people, let alone a Maulana and a leader. My information is private and I am not going to defend it. Let those who want believe it and those who want to keep a Husn-e-Zunn for the Maulana let them do so. Personally felt heart broken when I came to know of it and I am heart broken now. I keeps breaking my heart every time Maulana Mehmood Madani utters some nonsense to please the majority community of India and it hurts my heart when any of the Deoband scholars from Pakistan ends up doing something bad.I am not in the fray to spread negativity about our own Ulama but when I get a bad news about them it only hurts and hurts deeply. I did not enjoy it when Pir Zulfiqar's reputation took a beating. My enthusiasm was deflated when Maulana Tariq Jameel went silent, either because of Junaid Jamshed's death or because of the debacle with Pir Zulfiqar Sahab. It hurt me deeply when I came to know that Janab Kaleem Siddiqui Sahab, Dayee-e-Islam, of Phulat is neither a Maulana, nor he has Khilafah from any good Shaikh let alone Ali Miyan RA or Shah Muhammed Ahmed Sahab RA nor he is actually running 450 Madarsas. And in the present case too I am not going to make a big hue and cry about Maulana Fazl-ur-Rahman Sahab. I simply feel significantly deflated in my enthusiasm.Luckily I have placed myself on the task of making academic for the Ummah of Rasoolallah SAW and that to before the majority community of India and before or rather against the west. Maulwis simply do not have the expertise to be helpful in that regard. And to be honest I desperately keep looking for those elements of news that will be of good cheer for the Muslims the world over or at least in India-Pakistan-Bangladesh but all I get is the news like the one that has left you, Alif and fod incredulous. Sadly that is the reality. But I assure you I am not the one who will go and sit in the cornet to sulk. I am simply on duty to bring cheer to the Ummah of Rasoolallah SAW. That nothing of that sort has happened because of me that will bring cheer to Muslims is not something about which I can complain for Allah SWT's design I do not know. Yet I can assure you that I feel that the Muslim Ummah is on her way forward.

+3 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#203 [Permalink] Posted on 21st November 2018 16:25
Maripat wrote:
View original post

If what you're saying is true then it means that Maulana is a hypocrite and a traitor who has no concern about his akhirah and he is deliberately harming the country in disguise of an alim, and... this much is enough to shatter anyone.
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#204 [Permalink] Posted on 21st November 2018 16:43
Also, if true this would be the third shoba-e-deen (work associated with deen) that Shaytan has successfully tarnished by besmirching someone well-known who is associated with that shoba. First, the Tablighi effort with Maulana Saad incident, then the Khanqah effort with Pir Zulfiqar incident and now the political effort with this. Muslims getting disillusioned under such circumstances would only be natural. :(
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#205 [Permalink] Posted on 27th November 2018 06:24
Proud of this boy of Muslim Ummah.
+3 -0Like x 3
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#206 [Permalink] Posted on 29th November 2018 05:07
How right he is....

Self criticism may be a positive thing but it has become a compulsion and a disease in our societies . The liberals make use of it to inject heavy doses of inferiority complex and self pity in our veins.We have almost foregotten to show,or even to think about, the good in us,because it has been made out of fashion by those who tend to ignore bright spots on our collective persona.

The objective seems to be,to keep us in that psychological state of downward spiral forever,where we keep hopeless for our future and keep looking outwards for help and support,to remain in deep distrust about our potentials and our abilities as an Ummah,to consider it an impossible task to climb out of that pit,which they make us believe we are stranded in....in short,to accept our destiny as an inferior and unworthy nation and stop resisting. This message of surrender is part of fifth generation war waged against us.
+2 -0Like x 1Winner x 1
Rank Image
MARS
Brother
#207 [Permalink] Posted on 29th November 2018 06:16
ALIF wrote:
View original post

When a thing is repeated many times, it settles down in our subconscious which in return controls our body and actions and we go to auto pilot.

This concept is very beneficial if used for good things and very dangerous if used for evil purposes. The elite knows this and exploits this knowledge. Propaganda is the biggest weapon of this age and Mass media is a great means to do it.

They are using it to fool the masses. The question is "Are we using it to educate the masses"?

No post ratings
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#208 [Permalink] Posted on 11th December 2018 08:19
Death of Professor Mushirul Hasan

Obituary in Muslim Mirror

Here are excerpts from another source.

Quote:
The death of distinguished historian, Professor Mushirul Hasan (1949-2018), today, has saddened the entire fraternity of the Aligarh Muslim University. He was an alumnus of the University whose academic accomplishments made AMU proud of. He did his schooling from the AMU’s STS High School (Minto Circle); obtained BA (History Honours) and MA from the Department of History, AMU. Having taught history in a college in Delhi, he left for the Cambridge and earned his PhD from there. His PhD thesis on nationalism and communal politics in India during 1885-1930 broke a ground, when it was published, and ran into many editions. Later, his meticulously well-researched works on India’s partition got wide scale citations by the scholars across the globe.

Expressing his profound grief on the loss of an illustrious alumnus, Prof Tariq Mansoor, the AMU Vice Chancellor, said that his death has created a great void in the world of scholarship on Modern and contemporary Indian History.

Most distinguished of Mushirul Hasan’s long research essays were on: Muslim Mass Contact Campaign of the 1930s; Nationalist Trends in Aligarh; his book (1997) on India’s Muslims since Independence, and on, Pluralism in Awadh, got wider appreciation.
+1 -0
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#209 [Permalink] Posted on 11th December 2018 08:22
Was Pakistan meant to be a Muslim El Dorado?

This is from the first link in the above post.

Quote:
Today, there’s no one to match Mushir when it comes to the understanding of Islam, Muslims and Partition of India. He had told my father, Nooruddin, that the concept of a book on the 1947 Partition came to his mind when he had heard Maulana Azad state that water cannot be cut in twain egging Muslims not to vie for the so called El Dorado (Pakistan). His mammoth work, “Memories of a Fragmented Nation: Rewriting the Histories of India’s Partition” remains unmatched on the topic throughout the world.

The theme occurs in Razia Butt's novel called Bano that was turned into a soap opera called Dastan.
+1 -0
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#210 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd February 2019 05:45
Muslim Ummah is on Her Way Back to Glory

Believe it or not. Muslim Ummah is on her way back to glory.

Of course there are problems, all those problems that we know.

Yet we are on our way back.

+4 -0Like x 2Winner x 1

Jump to page: