Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

India Diary

Jump to page:

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
dr76, Jinn, Maria al-Qibtiyya, Taalibah, sipraomer, Naqshband66, bint e aisha, mSiddiqui, abuzayd2k, tanveerzakee, alandalus, moulanakhalil, ssaad, sharjan8643, Honest servant
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#976 [Permalink] Posted on 8th November 2021 06:12
Maripat wrote:
View original post

What Professor Faizan Mustafa is doing is indeed praiseworthy. He is a very erudite person, and a man of courage. This is on display every time Professor Faizan Mustafa interviews someone with RSS leanings. He makes it a point to present facts that run contrary to the Saffron narrative.
report post quote code quick quote reply
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#977 [Permalink] Posted on 8th November 2021 13:19
sharjan8643 wrote:
View original post

Jazakallah for the link. I intend to say a few things on this later.
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#978 [Permalink] Posted on 8th November 2021 14:14
sharjan8643 wrote:
View original post

Quote:
I have long struggled to understand Narendra Modi and what makes him tick. First, as a ruthless and cunning provincial politician, when he was Gujarat chief minister; and then as a phenomenon, when he came to straddle the national scene.

The support, adulation, and devotion that he attracts from his base (and also others) surprised me. It puzzled me no end to see a person given to fibbing, hype, and lies, as a way of life, could be so revered.

Because she, the author Sonali ranade, took the view that RSS is a fringe organization and did not realize that the depraved souls will see a hero in the genocidal leader.
Quote:
I always had an inkling that there were some deeper reasons for his phenomenal popularity – that went beyond demagoguery – and the binaries of adversarial politics. But the underlying phenomenon was elusive.

Studying the person, the persona, and the phenomenology that is entwined with what Modi stands for in popular imagination offers some insights.

Modi is the simulacrum of a deeply held, and popular, aspiration in our collective psyche – which is to restore India, or Bharat, to its past glory and honor. The path of ‘losing’ this glory is thought to have begun circa 1026 CE, when the Somnath temple was plundered and laid waste by invaders from the Northwest. Many invasions since, including 200 years under British rule are believed to have resulted in this ‘loss’. Whether this perception is based on our objective past or not, it is a theme deeply embedded in every Hindu imagination. It is widely shared among liberals, and ‘illiberals’. To deny it is to deny your very self.

Bravo lady, you are getting close to it.

Quote:
To his core supporters, Modi is not merely a persona or a politician. He embodies an indestructible idea, nay a deeply held faith, that the ‘Indian civilisation’, warts and all, long denied its due, must be restored to a respectable place under the sun. You cannot view the Modi phenomenon as something distinct from this collective aspiration. In fact, Modi has become the embodiment of this popular yearning.

Yup, it is that simple.

Quote:
Modi championed the ‘Hindu civilisational project’ long before it was mainstream. He lived with ignominy of championing something deeply unpopular, and contrary to the dominant idea of India, for decades until he was able to use the propaganda resources of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh to turn the tables on his detractors within the Bharatiya Janata Party and outside.

Hindus, others contributing in no small measure, had already made India a great nation before Modi came on the scene.

Quote:
In the popular imagination of BJP’s expanded core vote base, Modi is this ‘Hindu civilisational project’ in person. And Modi plays to this perception with consummate artistry. The shots of him meditating alone in a Kedarnath cave are of a piece of this creative folklore.

Sorry lady - this gimmick betrays that the asshole is stuck in past and and is using majoritarian advantage to give shape to his dream of past glory.
Quote:

Modi has sought to create this ‘civilisational project’ riding on the success of economic reforms initiated in 1991. These reforms created the base for accelerated economic growth. The explosion of software services exports to the US, in the late 90s, announced to the world that Indians had arrived on the global stage. As in the case of Japan, South Korea and China, this initial success on the global stage generated a euphoria of “we can do it too” nationalistic pride. Modi was able to tap into this spirit of national resurgence and harness its potential as a theme for national imagination.

Let us cut the clutter and say that he cynically and pathetically exploited the fruits of Nehruvian success story.
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#979 [Permalink] Posted on 8th November 2021 14:52
Continued from Above Post

Quote:
Very adroitly, he captured the momentum of this nationalist stirring. The reforms that initiated this resurgence were largely carried out by those who oppose him. Congress’s failure to own its own economic reforms and take visible pride in its success enabled Modi to embody this success as his own. He became the leader of this triumphalism by default. Congress intellectual ineptitude helped.

Right.
Quote:

Since coming on to the national scene, Modi has used his unusually brazen chutzpah, and demagoguery, to sketch out his aspirations with a few strikingly vivid strokes.

Yup.
Quote:
The point is not that these are wishful myths. The point is that these are as good a set of myths as those advanced by others. It is part of the process of the Hindu civilisation laying claim to a heritage of its own. The process can tolerate a few grand lies.

The brazen chutzpah has won Modi many laurels, even if his dubious claims ring hollow. It shows his boldness in making such claims, his deep commitment to the ‘civilisational project’ that he champions, and his imagination to carry it through.

She missed one point. India, as a result of Nehruvian vision, reached unprecedented heights in material progress. There still might be scope for progress but already achieved success could be used for glorification of RSS brand of Hindutva.

Muslims of India, on the other hand, under the leadership of people like Maulana Azad failed to put any mechanism in place so that the Muslims get a proportional share of the progress.
Quote:

That he makes the ridicule of his ridiculous claims look ridiculous is a masterly achievement of his grasp of the idiom, a triumph of his demagoguery.

As you yourself admitted, lady, that majoritarianism can accommodate a few grand lies.

Quote:
Where liberals like me see fibs, myths, and exaggerated claims, his believers see sincerity, commitment, and devotion to a cause. And commendable bravery in advancing such claims in the face of withering scorn.

True again.
Quote:
We are truly in a rabbit hole where value systems invert. But the essential point to grasp is not one of value inversion, but of commitment. Modi gets full marks for trying to make up for the lost 1,000 years. Never mind the incongruity of his claims.

95 years of hard work by RSS were rewarded by God. Modi simply reaped the harvest.
Quote:

It is the determination to carry forward the ‘civilisational project’, in the teeth of opposition at home and abroad, that gives Modi immunity against his self-created disasters.

After independence from the British India got down to brass tacks and made itself into a modern state. The Saffronite came and took credit.
Quote:

The economic woes of demonetisation, a flawed Goods and Services Tax, incoherent Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, lingering choke points in the banking system, abrupt shutdown in the pandemic, delays in ordering vaccines, the floating corpses in Ganga – these are all dismissed as the floundering of a sincere man, valiantly trying to do his best, in the face of all odds. His critics at home are seen as the enemy, trying to derail the holy project.

Good summary.
Quote:

Hence every policy disaster is stoutly defended, every blunder becomes an occasion to renew and reinforce faith in the ultimate victory of the ‘civilisational project’ and to reaffirm allegiance to the leadership of the messiah, chosen to carry it through.

This also means that the hard working India has been trying hard to get back their right.
Quote:
In the process, his critics become insidious saboteurs of India’s manifest destiny, the enemies of his ‘civilisational state’, the Cassandras who cannot bear to see India succeed. They must be put down by any means available, fair and foul.

This means that the saner India has not completely lost the grip.
Quote:
Modi’s success in carrying forward the ‘civilisational project’ is measured against internal parameters. Demonstration of cultural dominance through a ban on beef, political dominance by building the Ram temple, laying the foundation of claims to other temple sites, establishing the supremacy of Hindus over all others by selective application of the law, use of militias to enforce party writ, the toppling of opposition government and brazen purchase of MLAs are all part of the parameters by which progress is measured.

Most disturbing and unnerving list but once again the author must be credited with having a grip over the matter.
Quote:

What liberals see as flaw is really feature. If this leaves the liberals perplexed and dazed, that is also design – the inevitable fallout of a holy mission to establish a Hindu Rashtra.

A disturbing possibility.
Quote:
There is bound to be opposition to such a project. Who are those opposing? Minorities, some Hindus, leftists and liberals. The Congress. They are to be ground to dust by means fair and foul. Whatever the regime can get away with is legitimate. So, there is ruthless stomping on dissent. Selective application of the law is routine. Marginalisation and delegitimisation of minorities are the new normal. Farmers are traitors. Workers are lazy good-for-nothings demanding a free lunch. The jobless are drones. Lefties are saboteurs. Communists are the enemy. Liberals are wooly headed, colonised, nay, deranged minds; witless wokes under the control of an insidious Western script.

Again accurate as well as disturbing.
Quote:
Anyone who opposes the project can be vilified, demonised, excoriated, indeed extinguished. Any dissent that can be construed as hindering the ‘civilisational project’ is worthy of swift dissolution.

Again true.

Quote:
At the same time, effort is on to line up quislings from the minorities, to show the ‘civilisational project’ is not just Hindu, but truly civilisational. If it appears Hindu in character, it is only because of the preponderance of sheer numbers. Hence, the thesis that all Indians are Hindus. [And not all Hindus are Indians.] The culmination of the ‘civilisational project’ will be with the declaration of a Hindu civilisational state before the 2024 election.

Yet another disturbing possibility.
Quote:
The low hanging fruits of the ‘civilisational project’ have largely been plucked. Internal domination of the polity using militias, carefully built up over decades, was always easy. They are being further strengthened. The ‘civilisational state’ yields an unassailable political dominance. Institutional capture is near complete, except for a few pockets in the judiciary. The civil service and police are always with the regime. The military is seeing deep selection at every opportunity. The intellectuals are suitably cowed, and popular media has been largely tamed and domesticated.

Sadly true again and I have been saying these things again and again.
Quote:
In fact, the watchdog of democracy has recruited itself as the regime’s ludicrous chorus of voluble voices, who can do no more than amplify ruling party propaganda under a sanitised neutral label. The tycoons who own it know what is expected of them. Some exceptions soldier on, but I fear for their future.

Again sadly true.
Quote:
The only things not falling in place are the economy and the external environment.

And that includes the Gulf Princess Hind Al-Qassimi tweeting.
Quote:
While Modi owns the ‘civilisational project’, he has few ideas of his own of what the new Rashtra will do, to lift its 1.3 billion citizens out of the Malthusian hell in which they are trapped; never mind the high wage island in which the elites live.

Modi is not known for good governance or good ideas but can the rest of the country make use of that?

Quote:
Modi’s understanding of how a modern economy competes in the global marketplace is deeply flawed. None of his policy measures betray the vision that powered the 90/91 reforms. None of his programmes have the capacity to lift 40 million of India’s poor above the poverty line as the reforms did. Instead, Modi’s policies have implicitly created 75 million more poor. Modi has compressed real wage growth to near zero since 2014.

Thank you lady for focusing on this.
Quote:

We can brush away the economic failures as minor irritants in a grand project, but hunger, poverty, and destitution, have undermined civilisations before. Modi’s project is not immune to this malady. Before long, the economy will have to perform at levels significantly above current capacities. It is not clear how Modi plans to achieve that.

The idiot can not. But the question is whether the rest of the country can use it against him.

Quote:
Meanwhile, the huge flaw in the ‘civilisational project’ has not gone unnoticed by our adversaries. You cannot be M.K. Gandhi abroad, and M.S. Golwalkar at home. You cannot champion a liberal constitutional democracy abroad, while laying the foundation of an illiberal electoral autocracy at home. You cannot switch from Mr Hyde to Dr Jekyll by merely boarding the Indian Air Force I for an overseas sortie.

I am surprised at the level of details this lady has kept the records.
Quote:
You cannot demand free access to global markets, and close off your own to shelter the profits of your crony tycoons. You cannot claim to be Vishwa Guru while your small neighbours are beating you in employment generation and per capita income growth.

Agree again.
Quote:

At some point even such a noble and grandiose project as Modi’s ‘civilisational mission’, must be subjected to a reality check. And it’s the reality check that can cause the scales to fall off, exposing the fake hologram.

Thanks lady.
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#980 [Permalink] Posted on 8th November 2021 15:48
Trolling Material for Indian Muslims

Samajwadi Party

We Muslims of India love Hindus. We shall even vote for SP but only if Asaduddin Owaisi asks us. If Abu Asim Azmi remains in SP we shall not vote for him even if Asaduddin Owaisi asks us.

Indian National Congress

We Muslims of India love Hindus. We shall even vote for Congress but only if Asaduddin Owaisi asks us. If Imran Pratapgarhi remains in Congress we shall not vote for him even if Asaduddin Owaisi asks us.

Bahujan Samaj Party

We Muslims of India love Hindus. We shall even vote for BSP but only if Asaduddin Owaisi asks us. If Shahid Akhlaq remains in BSP we shall not vote for him even if Asaduddin Owaisi asks us.

Aam Admi Party

We Muslims of India love Hindus. We shall even vote for AAP but only if Asaduddin Owaisi asks us. If Shoib Iqbal remains in AAP we shall not vote for him even if Asaduddin Owaisi asks us.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#981 [Permalink] Posted on 9th November 2021 08:51
Thank you, Sir, for the detailed analysis of Sonali Ranade's article. When I first read the article, it seemed to me like it was echoing much of what you've already pointed out in your posts over the past few years. It gives me some hope that there are still people out there from among the Hindus willing to call out the Modi/RSS hypocrisy so bluntly.
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#982 [Permalink] Posted on 9th November 2021 16:17
Latest Muslim Beating

CJ Werleman has posted this video on Facebook where Hindutva goons are assaulting a Muslim at his home for posting a Whatsapp meme on Diwali.

Some days ago there was a disturbing video of a Bajrand Dal activist threatening a Muslim restaurant owner in Sant Nagar of Delhi.

Apparently some local Hindus stood up for the Muslim and an FIR was registered against the goon.

Late Dr Israr Ahmed's tension was to educate Muslims about their religion, current situation and the environment so that there is a revolution from within.

In India the need of the hour is to stop these assaults on Muslims.

In UP these attacks would stop immediately if the Chief Minister Mr Yogi Adityanath issues stern statement against such acts.

He will not do that.

A few years ago there was an agitation by the Hindutva goons on a report of cow slaughter. Inspector Subodh Misra who was conducting the inquiry into the first high profile lynching case of Mohammed Akhlaq. There was a video under circulation at that time where a Hindu was admitting that he had slaughtered the cow.

Yogi Adiyanath issued the statement that cow smugglers will not be spared.

The assaults on Muslims will also stop if the Prime Minister Mr Narendra Modi issues stern statement against such actions.

He too will not do t he needful.

In spite of hundreds of attacks on Christians he had the gal to go and meet the Pope in Vetican.
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#983 [Permalink] Posted on 10th November 2021 12:49
The Light at the End of the Tunnel

To during the afternoon nap Allah SWT gave me an idea should bring me out of this very complex enigma in which we Muslims of India find ourselves.

Sometime back I had written a post on the Facebook about the suicide of former soldiers of Indian army. My remark was that I understand the suicides of US veterans - they are killing themselves because of the terrible deeds they have done in Afghanistan but former Indian soldiers doing the same was beyond my comprehension.

One Kashmiri boy, Junaid-ul-Shafi, replied that Indian former soldiers are committing suicide because of the same reason.

There was no further activity on that post.

Later on I had made a post on Kunan Pospora on Facebook and I had made a similar post here.

Nobody asks questions related to Kunan Pospora.

Clearly this heinous incident must be on the conscience of those who committed it.

I do not know whether any one of the soldiers responsible for it has ended his life or not.

But There is some truth in what Junaid-ul-Shafi asserted.

This means conscience of Indian soldiers, who have served in Kashmir, is bugging them.

I suppose this can be generalized to civilian Hindu population. I mean we, to some extent, can conclude that not all Hindus are after extermination of Muslims and hence Islam from India.

This has been my constant worry.

My constant worry has been whether we Muslims of India face 37 percent of India, that is the Modi voters, or 80 percent of India - the total Hindu population.

If even after most rabid communal mobilization only 37 percent voted for Modi thenmay be only 37 percent of India is Islamophobic.

But this kind of expectation was completely thwarted by my Muslim friends.

Professor Arif-ul-Islam says that I should stop differentiating between right wing Hindus (the Saffronites) and the rest.

Then there used to be a weekly Urdu publication that decades before Saffron mobilization used to carry conspiracy theory after conspiracy theory.

Now that we have this data about former Indian soldiers committing suicide we must correct our reality data.

Saffronites have mobilized the majority against the minority but not all are blood thirsty.

I have been analysing the communal dynamics of India and I have recorded the communal bent of all forces of India - police, PAC, CRPF, RAF and army.

But the new data point would say that this communalization is not complete.

Let us note that most of the communal riots of India have really been pogroms against Muslims but in some of them Muslims did put up resistance.

This resistance dwindled over the years and this dynamics should be tracked quantitatively.

The resistance became zero in Gujrat 2002. Since then it has been a constant rise for Modi.

Basically the dynamics says that if police in Gujrat 2002 can ensure complete dilution of Muslim resistance then what can police combined with PAC-CRPF-RAF and army do?

This is the most macabre analysis that every Muslim feared and could not talk about.

And this is what every Saffronite knows and believes and is confident of.

The trick is to incorporate the new data point in this dynamics.

There has been pogroms and riots against Muslims.

Hyderabad 1948
Jammu 1948 (?)
Muradabad 1980
Nelli 1983
(Let us not forget anti-Sikh pogrom of 1984)
Hashimpura 1989
Mumbai 1993
Gujrat 2002

But the new data point tells us that at least the army may not go for the complete extermination of Muslims.
(Of course the Saffronite dreams precisely of that. Remember Guruji MS Golwalkar wanted them to profit by the example of what Hitler did to the Jewish population in Germany.)

Police wise also it is well known that Sanjiv Bhatt refused to fall in line in Gujrat 2002.

Plus the high police officers from neighbouring states taunted the complicit police officers of Gujrat about their cowardice.

When RAF was raised it used to be very secular force.

Of course CRPF soldiers laid their guns on the road and were dancing after Babri Masjid was brought down.

And we see a few former army men spewing venom against Muslims on the media.

Over all it does not look like that 80 percent of India will be with the Saffronite.

Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#984 [Permalink] Posted on 10th November 2021 13:30
There is some lacuna in above post but at the moment I can not pinpoint it. I'll spell it out as soon as I figure it out.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#985 [Permalink] Posted on 10th November 2021 14:21
Maripat wrote:
View original post

Quote:
Over all it does not look like that 80 percent of India will be with the Saffronite.

Mashallah, Sir, this is also the assessment of various groups working on the ground, such as our local jamiat chapter and our local jamate islami chapter, even though we are very close to ground zero in Central India. We've spoken to a number of local Hindus, and there is a lot of anger and disdain for the polarizing politics of the BJP. The people's opinion of the Sangh is however more noncommittal, because they have visibly done a lot of social work in the area.
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#986 [Permalink] Posted on 11th November 2021 13:56
Indian Muslims in Trap

If you talk, in confidence, to knowledgeable people in India today then the universal assessment would be that Muslims of India are in such a trap today that they can not break out of it.

We have seen the analysis of Ms Ranade linked and dissected earlier.

Talk to Professor Apoorvanand of Delhi University.

Talk to Congress, SP, BSP and all others.

Even late engineer Ahmed Saleem Pirzada would have said the same.

I, on the other hand, am little more hopeful.

I feel that the issue that Muslims face today is to minimize that damage.

The damage to us can not be reduced to zero.
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#987 [Permalink] Posted on 11th November 2021 14:46
Shashi Tharoor Post

Congressman Shashi Tharoor made a Facebook post wishing happy birth day to LK Advani.

And then people took him to the laundry.

And then he is cribbing that apparently this made him a Sanghi.

It did not. He was a Sanghi before that.
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#988 [Permalink] Posted on 11th November 2021 14:54
Sooner the Better

Muslims of India should realize that they have to take care of themselves on their own.

Sooner the better. With the passing of time the Saffronite will only grow stronger.

In last more than seven years they have been going from place to place.

By now they have covered enormous grounds and things earlier that were unthinkable have become routine.

Their objective was spelt out by Guruji Golwalkar and it was to benefit from the example of what Hitler did to the Jewish people.

It was in 1985 that I heard of the RSS dream to make India an example like Spain - complete extermination of Islam.

This dream has to be taken seriously because we know the history of those whom they take as their ideals - the people who finished three religions that arose in reaction to Brahminical tyrrany - Ajivikas, Buddhists and the Jains.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#989 [Permalink] Posted on 11th November 2021 14:56
sharjan8643 wrote:
View original post

Alhamdulillah
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#990 [Permalink] Posted on 12th November 2021 13:33
What have I figured out about the situation of Muslims today in India?

(1) Professor Ariful Islam has the best assessment. His first book came out in 1989 - the year of Hashimpura massacre.

(2) This year he made a remark to me that I should stop differentiating between right wing and Lib-Dem Hindus.

(3) In spite of his very sharp insights his insights are not decisive.

(4) For some time I was feeling rather lonely in my endeavour to understand the problem.

(5) But the matter of fact is that I am not alone taking the pain.

(6) There have been others and there are others also who have agonized over this issue.

(7) Many people have made some advances.

(8) Saffronites of India are Islamophobic.

(9) Lib-Dems of India are Islamophobic.

(10) Saffronites are bigots.

(11) Lib-Dems are Islamophobic because they have borrowed ideology from the west.

(12) Because of these nuances Muslims have to deal with the two groups of majority community differently.

(13) Lib-Dems have to be told that it is not communal to organize Muslim votes.

(14) The Lib-Dems have to be convinced to isolate the Saffronites.

(15) That itself will do wonders about cooling down of their tempers.

Jump to page: