Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Top Members

India Diary

Jump to page:

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
dr76, Jinn, abu mohammed, Maria al-Qibtiyya, Taalibah, sipraomer, Naqshband66, bint e aisha, mSiddiqui, abuzayd2k, tanveerzakee
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#781 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd December 2020 12:59
@Maripat

What did you about at the esteemed guest at your institute today?
report post quote code quick quote reply
Rank Image
Unspecified
Unspecified
#782 [Permalink] Posted on 30th December 2020 06:02
Quote:
Who do you call when police murder?

Shahrukh was on his way to rescue her sister, who was one of the protestors in Jafrabad sit-in protest against Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) when he got to know about the violence in the area. However, before Shahrukh took it to himself to rescue his sister, his father made several calls to the police which remained unanswered. A week later, a fact-finding report revealed that ‘distress calls remained unanswered for 48-72 hours’ and that police were absent when people needed them. Later, police too admitted that it received four calls every one minute from the area between 23 February and 25 February.

Moreover, evidence also indicates that police were hand in gloves with the rioters and at several instances itself was involved in rioting. In one viral video, five severely injured and bleeding Muslim men were made to lie on the ground and forced to sing the national anthem by policemen. The video showed them crying in pain, while policemen continued to torcher them. One of them, identified as Faizan, later died. Faizan had gone to the police to seek help. The Caravan reported survivors alleging ‘men in uniform’ had torched Farooqia Masjid.

Full story below: (Please remove spaces to access web page)

maktoobmedia-com . cdn . ampproject . org/v/s/maktoobmedia.com/2020/06/29/sharukh-took-law-in-his-own-hands-but-saved-lives/
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#783 [Permalink] Posted on 6th January 2021 08:19
Rajab wrote:
View original post

Quote:
@Maripat

What did you about at the esteemed guest at your institute today?

Assalamualaikum ya akhi.
I am sorry for not replying for so long.

Actually I got locked out of the forum for an extended period and hence simply could not reply.
I am replying now.

In fact this is a good opportunity for me to take stock of the things in our country.
That is, I myself would like to have an update on Modi affairs around me.

A Barelwi colleague of mine was alright with the Indian Prime Minister Mr Narendra Modi coming to our university.
He was giving the usual pragmatic reasons for accepting the fact that whether we like it or not Mr Modi was our Prime Minister.

After the Modi's (online) visit he was 123 off. I mean my Barelwi friend was 123 off with the Prime Minister. He was expecting that the PM will give some gifts to the university. His logic would be like: Mr Modi will be so happy to be at AMU that he'll forget all the restrictions that his administration has on the university will be done away with. For the record after installation of Mr Modi as the PM the normal flow of the funds to the university came to stand still barring the salary.

In May 2014 when Modi came into power we had a very formidable former army general as the Vice Chancellor and a friend of mine commented that the university survived because of him. I agree with the assessment of this friend. If we assume that there are 500 government universities in India then in proportion to official Muslim population there should be 71 Muslim universities. Some one said that we have only 1.5 Muslim universities in the country - Jamia Millia Islamia being 0.5.

(Rest Later, IA)
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#784 [Permalink] Posted on 6th January 2021 12:36
Maripat wrote:
View original post

Jzk for your response. I wasn't aware that it was only a virtual visit, that probably explains lack of photos. To be honest i also hold the opinion he is the PM and BJP are not going away anytime soon so muslims don't have much choice but cooperate with them but milk them for all the benefits. Will wait for your further response.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Unspecified
#785 [Permalink] Posted on 7th January 2021 03:38
Milking them of all benefits offered makes sense, and many politically savvy Muslims are of the same opinion.

There is some extremely painful news from Assam (BJP ruled):

theprint . in / theprint-essential / all-about-assams-new-bill-that-will-convert-govt-aided-madrasas-to-regular-schools/577642/

(Link can be accessed by removing spaces in the URL above.)

Quote:
The Assam Assembly Wednesday passed a bill to convert government-run madrasas to regular schools under the state board amid protests from opposition parties.

According to the new bill, all theological courses in Arabic taught in government-aided madrasas will be discontinued from April 2022.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Unspecified
#786 [Permalink] Posted on 7th January 2021 03:58
More from the world of Indian academia:

Quote:
BHU Muslim Sanskrit Professor Resigns Following Protests, Joins Another Department

Firoze Khan was appointed as an assistant professor to teach at the Sanskrit Vidya Dharma faculty on November 5. He hasn't been able to teach because of protests.

At BHU, Sanskrit is taught at three departments. The administration, according to NDTV, has claimed that Khan was interviewed by all three departments and had now ‘chosen’ to quit Vidya Dharma and teach at the Arts faculty. The panel that selected him, which includes professor Radhavallabh Tripathi, one of India’s most eminent Sanskrit scholars, has repeatedly said Khan was the most qualified candidate.

Full story below:

thewire . in /communalism /bhu-muslim-sanskrit-professor-resigns-following-protests-joins-another-department

(Please remove spaces to access link.)
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#787 [Permalink] Posted on 15th January 2021 12:21
Rajab wrote:
View original post

Let me add some promised observations.

A Bhakt type person, a professor of Physics, commented somewhere that Modi Ji is tired.

I hope so.

I do not want him to do more damage to Muslims.

And by coming to AMU he did not do us any favour. A normal person would have been so honoured by the invitation that he would have changed his whole attitude for the better. Not Mr Modi. Mr Modi came to power by upstaging LK Advani and he still maintains his moorings.

Of course he had the temerity to advice us on what we should do research. He does not understand that a university should not be lectured to - university lectures to the best of the minds of the society.

In summary I find those who invited him pathetic and I find his response lacking pragmatism.

Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#788 [Permalink] Posted on 15th January 2021 12:23
Bajirao the great Hindu nationalist — That’s only in the movies

December 21, 2015, 11:55 AM IST Aakar Patel in Aakarvani, India, TOI

(An eye opening article on Hindutva by Aakar Patel)

Aakar Patel is a writer and columnist based in Bangalore. Why I Write, Patel’s book translating Saadat Hasan Manto’s non-fiction from Urdu to English was published in 2014

I think I’ll write about Bajirao Mastani today. I have not seen the movie, nor do I intend to (only one Gujarati makes the cut as director of watchable pap and that is neither Sanjay Leela Bhansali nor Sajid Nadiadwala, but Manmohan Desai, a true master). However, I have read Bajirao Mastani’s reviews and one of them said to my alarm, that the film “explores the romantic side of 18th-century Maratha general Bajirao Ballal Bhat, who fought and won 40 battles against the Mughals with an aim to create a unified Hindu kingdom or Akhand Bharatvarsha”.

Whoa, hold it right there. First, the Marathas only ever wanted a Marathi kingdom for themselves. It was not unified, hardly akhand and never Hindu. The Marathas were despised by other Hindu rulers, and disliked by non-Marathi Hindus as well, as history shows us.

Bajirao and the Marathas campaigned for one thing alone, and it was called chauth. It meant a fourth of all revenue from other kingdoms, no matter what the faith of king and subject, and at collecting this Bajirao and the rest were efficient.

Maratha extortion caused Jaipur’s Ishwari Singh to commit suicide in December 1750. Sir Jadunath Sarkar (the Manmohan Desai of our historians) writes of what followed in his four-volume classic, Fall of the Mughal Empire: “On 10 January, some 4,000 Marathas entered Jaipur… (and) despising the helpless condition of a king propped up by their arms, seemed to have behaved towards Jaipur as a city taken by storm. Suddenly the pent-up hatred of the Rajputs burst forth; a riot broke out at noon, and the citizens attacked the unsuspecting Marathas. For nine hours slaughter and pillage raged.”

The Marathas first invaded Bengal in 1742. Of their behaviour, the New Cambridge History of India tells us that “all authorities, both Indian and European are agreed”. A contemporary writer calls them “slayers of pregnant women and infants” and Sarkar has recorded their gang-rape of Hindu women, inexplicably stuffing the mouths of their victims with dust and breaking their arms and tying them behind their backs. The only Indian to try and protect his subjects against the Marathas incidentally, was the Mughal governor Ali Vardi Khan. So much for Akhand Bharat. But I must say that the Marathas did not behave differently from any other ruler or warrior community, and the idea of a unified Hindu sentiment exists only in the imagination of those who get their history from the movies.

What the Marathas did striking north from the south, the Sikhs did in the opposite direction (they called their extortion ‘rakhi’, or protection, and it was 10% for all Indians). It is undeniably true on the other hand that the Marathas were originals.

It is important for this romance between Bajirao and Mastani that she knew how to ride well because there were no palanquins and howdahs travelling with the Marathas as there were with the Mughals.

The Marathas were the Mongols of South Asia, always on horseback, and with no infantry and no giant camp behind. Even the scavengers who followed them around, the bargis, rode. When the monsoons ended, the Maratha army, about 40,000 men, rode across the Narmada and Tapi, the border that marked off the Deccan, and attacked ‘Hindustan’.

Shivaji always organised this on a particular day: Dussehra (Bal Thackeray continued this tradition of declaring war on other Indians with his fiery Dussehra speeches). After the death of the peasant king, power passed to the Brahmin peshwas of whom the best was Bajirao. As the Mughal fighting ability and finances (the two being interchangeable) declined after Aurangzeb, the Marathas began penetrating increasingly into hitherto unknown territory in the north. It was the young Bajirao, then only in his teens, who determined, rightly, in one of these raids that the Mughals had gone soft and could no longer defend the realm.

From this point on, the Marathas began holding ground instead of just taking their horses back. It is why we see Marathi names like Holkar and Scindia and Gaekwad in parts of India they do not naturally belong. Everyone grabbed what they could and held onto it, there was no Hindu or Bharat angle to any of it.

Bajirao had one good battlefield victory, against Chin Qilich Khan, first Nizam of Hyderabad. It was a positional win, meaning the arrangement of Bajirao’s force gave no space for Khan and he gave up without much fighting. Like chess. A similar situation came in Panipat, when Abdali positioned the Marathas out. Bravely, the Marathas chose to fight and were slaughtered. Scindia (Jyotiraditya’s ancestor) and Holkar, it may interest the reader, fled the field, and the man who helped Abdali with supplies ensuring his win was Ala Singh. Abdali rewarded him by making him Maharaja of Patiala, Captain Amarinder Singh’s ancestor.

Can you spot any Hindu or nationalist angle to any of it? No, because it exists only in the movies.
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#789 [Permalink] Posted on 15th January 2021 12:41
President of India Mr Ram Nath Kovind donates Rs 5 Lakh to the construction of temple at the Babri Masjid site.

Does he know the whole list of temples to which he can not go?
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#790 [Permalink] Posted on 16th January 2021 08:37
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#791 [Permalink] Posted on 30th January 2021 07:28
Pratap Bhanu Mehta takes a bleak view of India under Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#792 [Permalink] Posted on 16th February 2021 13:46
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#793 [Permalink] Posted on 16th February 2021 14:30
I have posted three links in a succession that take a bleak view of the status quo in India.

I do not share this pessimism.

I was trying to formulate my own views on the matters but could not come around to record these.

But I hope my brothers and sisters can do that themselves.
Rank Image
Hindustan
Brother
#794 [Permalink] Posted on 17th February 2021 04:26
Maulana Sajjad Nomani DB offers hope through his weekly sermons in these testing times, and gives people a plan of action that focuses both on the temporal and eternal. I'm sure, Professor Sahab, that his message and your outlook resonate well with each other.
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#795 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2021 13:19
Karan Thapar Interviews Ghazala Wahab

Do not miss this interview about the current Muslim psyche in India today.

Jump to page: