Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
Taalibah, Maria al-Qibtiyya, Abdur Rahman ibn Awf
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 4th April 2015 21:10

Assalamu alaykum,

Do any of you keep a journal that you regularly write in? Has it proved beneficial?

Also, was this a practice of our Mashayikh and Ulama, classical and recent?

I've started one that I jot down thoughts and statements that I want to retain...not like a diary though where you write your down all your feelings.

report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 4th April 2015 21:29
If I record my thoughts I am afraid that I will embarrass myself so no I don't...
Posted via the Muftisays Android App
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 4th April 2015 21:40

Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

lol...one of the reasons why I'm keeping a journal is so that I review it years later and study how my mentality has changed, for better or for worse. have i kept the same ideals? why or why not?

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 4th April 2015 22:57
Something I have thought about doing, but I am afraid someone might find it and read. I even have thoughts like what if I drop dead and my family members find and read everything I have been jotting down.

For me the idea of keeping a daily Gratitude or shukr diary seems interesting, and might be beneficial I read somewhere there has been some research done by psychologists on the benefits of having a shukr diary.

Also years ago back in the 1990,s I heard a sister mention on a programme that she kept a diary listing blameworthy characteristics such as, envy, takkabur, lying, backbiting, gossipping etc, and she would review it daily and by doing so she had managed to overcome alot of those bad habits and thoughts. Sounded like a good idea but again the paranoia of someone finding and reading it stopped me from keeping one myself.
+1 -0Like x 1Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 4th April 2015 23:33
As for this being a practice of ulema, Mashaykh, I did read somewhere that Dr Abdul Hai Arifi, رضي الله عنه used to keep notebook to record
spiritual beneficial, statements, words of wisdom etc, of others even regular laypeople.

I also heard Dr Hussain Abdur Sattar. mention in one of his lectures that Mufti Kamaludin Ahmed is prolific notetaker and likes note down anything that could be beneficial.

I presume there have been historically many others ulemah, and shuyookh who did the same.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 5th April 2015 00:54
Not sure what to think about it.

I have a feeling that if I were to keep a journal, then it would create pride in me, because we/I would only really write the good and not the bad. Same as when I re read my posts or blogs. It has an effect on ourselves, so for me personally, better not to.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 5th April 2015 04:26
(salaam)

For those afraid that there diary/journal will be found, you can always keep an electronic one (phone, computer etc...) and have it password protected. Just an idea.

I personally still would not do it. Not because of fear of it being found, but just cause im lazy, lol.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 5th April 2015 06:15
Was thinking of making an Akhirah diary..
- will
- things I posses
- debts etc if any
- Amanahs
+2 -0Like x 2
UK
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 5th April 2015 09:19
Call it "Journal +" and record only positive things. So if you were to read in the future you can always record how good you were so you'll always want to be better.
+3 -0Like x 3
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 5th April 2015 20:46
muslim11 wrote:
View original post

Thats just your will, which everyone should leave behind anyway.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 6th April 2015 09:44
In our houses we have things that we just use. For example the father or brother bought 5 hands frees'.Everyone uses them, but they get mixed up because they look alike. so its better to ask the father the Malkiyat. Or ask him to distribute. after that the family shares them.
similarly in the bookshelf, which book, magazine belongs to whom?
you took a book from someone but that's in your cupboard and amanah. you write it down.

is all that considered will?
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 6th April 2015 09:47
More to add in the akhirah diary ;

-Ayahs regarding Jannah and -Jahanum.
-Other things that tell about what blessing one will get for which good deed.. or good deeds in general.
Bounties of Jannah.
-The things that will happen in Akhirah.
-Motivational things.
Writing all this randomly. not a very organised book.. since its a diary not a book.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 6th April 2015 10:41
I think writing is an excellent idea. I was just thinking the other day that in my whole life I read many books, listened to a lot of lectures etc but what did I actually remember? My memory is pretty bad so the amount I remember is like almost zero. So I think taking notes of readings, lectures, beneifical articles etc would prove beneficial. It can be split into a few different sections or just a bit disorganized only in date order and then at a later date if one wishes one can re-write it in an appropriate format. I have had these things on and off but people always find them. I like what shaykh nuh keller db advises his mureeds. One should keep a small notepad and pen and when one messes up in speech just jot down a few words of the sentence. This way a person will remember and at the end of the day you can write the whole sentence where you messed up. e.g. abdullah is a ....then at the end of the day one can note. I did gheebah of abdullah as follows abdullah is a twat who looks like a frog. Sorry this is the jist of what shaykh nuh advises though it would be better to ask his mureeds. The next stage according to the sufiya would be purification of thoughts and intentions...but most of us just need to focus on our words.
+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 6th April 2015 11:55
+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 6th December 2015 19:44
Does anyone have written down goals of what they want to achieve and accomplish. I have heard Shaykh Khalid Yasin mention about writing goals down and reviewing them once a week. I also heard Mufti Menk mention writing down all your goals, hopes, aspirations,
and making constant Dua for their accomplishment.

I have read quite a few books on the Power of Goal setting, and How it helps focus the Mind helps the person achieve quicker results.
The Power and abilities of the Mind are quite fascinating.
+2 -0Like x 1