Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Dua (Supplication)

You have contributed 1.7% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
Yasin, Taqwah, sweetmuslimahk1, abu mohammed, Jinn, Taalibah, Naqshband66, Arslan., Maria al-Qibtiyya
1 guest appreciates this topic.
Rank Image
London
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd December 2010 16:53
Allah سبحانه و تعالى says:

"And your Rubb said: `Invoke Me, [i.e., believe in My Oneness (Islamic Monotheism)] (and ask Me for anything) I will respond to your (invocation).'''
(40:60)

"Invoke your Rubb with humility and in secret. He likes not the aggressors.'' (7:55)

"And when My slaves ask you (O Muhammad (PBUH)) concerning Me, then (answer them), I am indeed near (to them by My Knowledge). I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me (without any mediator or intercessor).'' (2:186)

"Is not He (better than your gods) Who responds to the distressed one, when he calls on Him, and Who removes the evil?'' (27:62)

An-Nu`man Ibn Bashir (رضي الله عنه) reported: The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said, "Du`a (supplication) is worship.''
[Abu Dawud]

What is prayer but an expression of one's humbleness and helplessness before Allah سبحانه و تعالى. The expression of one's weakness, inferiority and lowliness before the Infinite Power and Might of Allah سبحانه و تعالى is in fact the essence of worshipping Him. For this reason, prayer has been regarded as the essence of worship. Thus, prayer is reserved for Him Alone and it should not be addressed to anyone else in any case. Al-Qadi `Iyad رحمه الله said that Du`a is that act of worship which alone deserves to be referred to as `Ibadah, or worship, because when one observes it, one in fact shows drawing near to Allah سبحانه و تعالى, utter dedication to Him and rejection of all that He does not like and approve.

`A'ishah (رضي الله عنها) reported: The Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) liked comprehensive supplications or (Al-Jawami` - i.e., supplications with very few words but comprehensive in meanings), and discarded others.
[Abu Dawud]

Anas (رضي الله عنه) reported: The supplication most often recited by the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) was: "Allahumma atina fid-dunya hasanatan, wa fil-akhirati hasanatan, wa qina `adhab-annar (O our Rubb! give us in this world that which is good and in the Hereafter that which is good, and save us from the punishment of the Fire).'''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

In the narration of Muslim it is added that whenever Anas رضي الله عنه supplicated, he used to beseech Allah with this Du`a.

It is desirable to recite this Du`a which is mentioned in the Qur'an (2:201) and which comprehends all that is good both in this life and the Hereafter. The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) made it a habit to recite this Du`a, and the Companions (رضي الله عنهم) were eager to follow him in all his words and actions.

`Abdullah ibn Mas`ood (رضي الله عنه) reported: The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) used to supplicate: "Allahumma inni as'alukal-huda, wat-tuqa, wal-`afafa, wal-ghina (O Allah! I beseech You for guidance, piety, chastity and contentment).''
[Muslim]

"Guidance'' means guidance towards virtue which one needs at every step. The ability to do good and steadfastness on the Right Path is also covered by the term guidance. To comply with the Orders of Allah and to prevent oneself from what He has forbidden is Taqwa (fear of Allah سبحانه و تعالى), the importance of which needs no elaboration. `Affaf is prevention from sins. It also means evasion from seeking help from others. Ghina means riches which makes one independent of others so much so that all one's hopes are centered on Allah سبحانه و تعالى Alone. The prayer quoted in this Hadith is very comprehensive indeed.

Tariq Ibn Ashyam (رضي الله عنه) reported: Whenever a man entered the fold of Islam, the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) would show him how to perform Salat and then direct him to supplicate: "Allahumm-aghfir li, warhamni, wa-hdini, wa `afini, warzuqni (O Allah! Forgive me, have mercy on me, guide me, guard me against harm and provide me with sustenance and salvation).'''
[Muslim]

In another narration Tariq رضي الله عنه said: A man came to the Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) and said to him: "O Messenger of Allah! What shall I say if I want to pray to my Rubb?'' He (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said, "Say: `Allahumma-ghfir li, warhamni, wa `afini, warzuqni (O Allah! Forgive me, have mercy on me, protect me and provide me with sustenance).' Surely, this supplication is better for you in this life and in the Hereafter.''

'Abdullah Ibn `Amr Ibn Al-`As (رضي الله عنهما) reported: The Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) supplicated: "Allahumma musarrifal-qulubi, sarrif qulubana `ala ta`atika (O Allah! Controller of the hearts, direct our hearts to Your obedience).''
[Muslim]

This is a very important prayer because through it one seeks steadfastness in virtue. Everybody's heart is always open to troubles, turmoil and ordeals and he is drifting from one situation to the other. If he is not supported by Allah سبحانه و تعالى, he can deviate from the Right Path at any moment. For this reason, he has been required to pray to Allah to save his heart from turning towards evils and keep it towards Allah سبحانه و تعالى, because it is He Alone Who is Capable of controlling hearts.

Abu Hurairah (رضي الله عنه) reported: The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said, "Seek refuge in Allah against the turmoils, attacks of misfortunes, and evil of judgement and joys of the enemies.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

Abu Hurairah (رضي الله عنه) reported: The Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) used to say: "Allahumm-aslih li diniyalladhi huwa `ismatu amri, wa aslih li dunyaya-llati fiha ma`ashi, wa aslih li akhirati-llati fiha ma`adi, waj`alil-hayata ziyadatan li fi kulli khair, waj`alil-mauta rahatan li min kulli sharrin (O Allah, make my religion easy for me by virtue of which my affairs are protected, set right for me my world where my life exists, make good for me my Hereafter which is my resort to which I have to return, and make my life prone to perform all types of good, and make death a comfort for me from every evil).''
[Muslim]

This is a very comprehensive prayer which simply means: "O Allah! Help me spend all my life in complete devotion to You, doing what You like and avoiding what You dislike.''

`Ali (رضي الله عنه) reported: The Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said to me, "Recite: `Allahumma-hdini wa saddidni (O Allah! Direct me to the Right Path and make me adhere to the Straight Path).'' Another narration is: `Allahumma inni as'aluk-alhuda was-sadad (I beg You for guidance and uprightness).''
[Muslim]

"As-Sadad'' means correctness and uprightness. Here, it signifies "please grant me the ability to do everything in a correct manner'', that is in accordance with the practice of the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم). Some scholars of Hadith have interpreted it as steadfastness and moderation. Both interpretations accord well with its original meanings.

Anas (رضي الله عنه) reported: The Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) used to supplicate: "Allahumma inni a`udhu bika minal-ajzi wal-kasali, wal-jubni wal-harami, wal-bukhli, wa a`udhu bika min `adhabil-qabri, wa a`udhu bika min fitnatil-mahya wal-mamat [O Allah! I seek refuge in You from helplessness (to do good), indolence, cowardice, senility, and miserliness; and I seek Your Protection against the torment of the grave and the trials of life and death].'' Another narration adds: "wa dala`id-daini wa ghalabatir-rijal (And from the burden of indebtedness and the tyranny of men).''
[Muslim]

Abu Bakr As-Siddeeq (رضي الله عنه) reported: I requested the Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) to teach me a supplication which I could recite in my Salat (prayer). Thereupon he said, "Recite: `Allahumma inni zalamtu nafsi zulman kathiran, wa la yaghfirudh-dhunuba illa Anta, faghfir li maghfiratan min `indika, warhamni, innaka Antal-Ghafur-ur-Rahim (O Allah! I have considerably wronged myself. There is none to forgive the sins but You. So grant me pardon and have mercy on me. You are the Most Forgiving, the Most Compassionate).'''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

It is desirable to recite this prayer in Salat after Tashahhud and before Tasleem. One can also recite it at all other times also.

Abu Musa (رضي الله عنه) reported: The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) used to supplicate: "Allahumm-aghfir li khati'ati, wajahli, wa israfi fi amri, wa ma Anta a`lamu bihi minni. Allahumm-aghfir li jiddi wa hazli, wa khata'i wa `amdi, wa kullu dhalika `indi. Allahumm-aghfir li ma qaddamtu wa ma akhkhartu, wa ma asrartu, wa ma a`lantu, wa ma Anta a`lamu bihi minni. Antal-Muqaddimu, wa Antal-Mu'akhkhiru; wa Anta `ala kulli shai'in Qadir (O Allah! Forgive my errors, ignorance and immoderation in my affairs. You are better aware of my faults than myself. O Allah! Forgive my faults which I committed in seriousness or in fun deliberately or inadvertently. O Allah! Grant me pardon for those sins which I committed in the past and I may commit in future, which I committed in privacy or in public and all those sins of which You are better aware than me. You Alone can send whomever You will to Jannah, and You Alone can send whomever You will to Hell-fire and You are Omnipotent).''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) was sinless but still he prayed earnestly to Allah سبحانه و تعالى for the forgiveness of his shortcomings. In fact, he did so to educate his followers. This prayer is an expression of one's utter humbleness and sincere repentance of sins.

`A'ishah (رضي الله عنها) reported: The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) used to supplicate (in these words): "Allahumma inni audhu bika min sharri ma `amiltu, wa min sharri ma lam a`mal (O Allah! I seek refuge in You from the evil of that which I have done and the evil of that which I have not done).''
[Muslim]

This prayer is also very comprehensive. Sometimes a person does a virtuous deed but it is tainted with slight hypocrisy or pride. It is an element which destroys even the most virtuous deeds. It is this mischief against which Allah's Protection has been sought through this prayer.

`Abdullah ibn `Umar (رضي الله عنهما) reported: The Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) used to supplicate thus: "Allahumma inni a`udhu bika min zawali ni`matika, wa tahawwuli `afiyatika, wa fuja'ati niqmatika, wa jami`i sakhatika (O Allah! I seek refuge in You against the declining of Your Favours, passing of safety, the suddenness of Your punishment and all that which displeases You).''
[Muslim]

This is also a very comprehensive prayer. Allah سبحانه و تعالى has blessed man with innumerable gifts. One becomes conscious of them when one is deprived of any of them, hence it is said that the value of a blessing is realized at its loss. For eyes, ears, tongue, health, property, children and such countless blessings, we owe gratitude to Allah سبحانه و تعالى. In the prayer cited in this Hadith, one entreats Allah سبحانه و تعالى not to deprive of any blessing given to him. `Afiyah means safe from disease, grief and troubles. "Passing of the safety (`Afiyah)'' signifies the change from a state of good health to a state of illness and weakness or that one is overtaken by troubles and afflictions.

Zaid Ibn Arqam (رضي الله عنه) reported: The Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) would supplicate: "Allahumma inni a`udhu bika minal-`ajzi wal-kasali, wal-bukhli wal-harami, wa `adhabil-qabri. Allahumma ati nafsi taqwaha, wa zakkiha Anta khairu man zakkaha, Anta waliyyuha wa maulaha. Allahumma inni a`udhu bika min `ilmin la yanfau`, wa min qalbin la yakhsha`u, wa min nafsin la tashba`u, wa min da`watin la yustajabu laha` [O Allah! I seek refuge in You from the inability (to do good), indolence, cowardice, miserliness, decrepitude and torment of the grave. O Allah! Grant me the sense of piety and purify my soul as You are the Best to purify it. You are its Guardian and its Protecting Friend. O Allah! I seek refuge in You from the knowledge which is not beneficial, and from a heart which does not fear (You), and from desire which is not satisfied, and from prayer which is not answered].''
[Muslim]

This Hadith contains the prayer for fear of Allah سبحانه و تعالى, beneficial knowledge (that is, the knowledge of the Qur'an and Hadith), patience and contentment.

Ibn `Abbas (رضي الله عنهما) reported: The Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) used to supplicate: "Allahumma laka aslamtu, wa bika amantu, wa `alaika tawakkaltu, wa ilaika anabtu, wa bika khasamtu, wa ilaika hakamtu. Faghfir li ma qaddamtu, wa ma akh-khartu, wa ma asrartu wa ma a`lantu, Antal-Muqaddimu, wa Antal-Mu`akhkhiru, la ilaha illa Anta (O Allah! to You I submit, in You I affirm my faith, in You I repose my trust, to You I turn in repentance and with Your Help I contend my adversaries and from You I seek judgement. O Allah! Grant me forgiveness for the faults which I made in past and those ones I may commit in the future, those which I committed secretly or openly. You Alone send whomever You will to Jannah, and You Alone send whomever You will to Hell-fire. There is none worthy of worship except You).'' Another narration adds: "La hawla wa la quwwata illa billah (There is no strength to resist evil and no power to do good except through Allah).''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

The prayer mentioned in this Hadith is, in fact, a Muslim's declaration to turn in every matter to Allah سبحانه و تعالى, and to care about His Pleasure and His Orders regarding every act. It is also a declaration to befriend people for His sake and to show enmity towards people for Him alone. May Allah سبحانه و تعالى give every Muslim the ability to make this prayer and to act according to the declaration that he makes through it.

`A'ishah (رضي الله عنها) reported: The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) used to supplicate: [b["Allahumma inni a`udhu bika min fitnatin-nari, wa `adhabin-nari, wa min sharril-ghina wal-faqri (O Allah! I seek refuge in You from the trials and the torment of the Fire and from the evils of wealth and poverty).''
[Abu Dawud and At-Tirmidhi]

"The evils of wealth'' signify that one becomes so captivated by wealth that in his struggle to acquire it, he fails to discriminate between the lawful and the unlawful, or one may become proud and arrogant on account of his riches. The evils of poverty that one loses hope of Allah's Mercy and Compassion, or shows resentment against his fate and the Will of Allah سبحانه و تعالى, or deviates from the principles and requirements of integrity and honesty.

Ziyad Ibn `Ilaqah رحمه الله reported: My uncle Qutbah Ibn Malik (رضي الله عنه) said that the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) used to supplicate: "Allahumma inni a`udhu bika min munkaratil-akhlaqi, wal-a`mali, wal-ahwa`i (O Allah! I seek refuge in You from undesirable manners, deeds, and aspirations).''
[At-Tirmidhi]

The prayer is recited to seek Allah's Help in shunning bad manners and observing good manners and righteous deeds.

Shakal Ibn Humaid (رضي الله عنه) reported: I asked: "O Messenger of Allah, teach me a prayer.'' He (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "Say: Allahumma inni a`udhu bika min sharri sam`i, wa min sharri basari, wa min sharri lisani, wa min sharri qalbi, wa min sharri maniyyi (O Allah! I seek refuge in You from the evils of my hearing, the evils of my seeing, the evils of my tongue; the evils of my heart and the evils of passions).''
[Abu Dawud and At-Tirmidhi]

The evil mischief of ears lies in lending them to lies, calumnies, backbiting and other forbidden things (music etc.), or closing the ears to the truth. The mischief of eyes lies in finding faults with people, looking at what is forbidden to look at, and ignoring the Signs of Allah scattered everywhere in the universe. The mischief of the heart lies in occupying one's heart with the love of anyone else other than Allah سبحانه و تعالى. "Mani'' (semen) is that sticky fluid which comes out of the male organ after sexual gratification. Here it means the sexual organs. The mischief of these lie in using them in a sinful act. One is advised to safeguard one's ears, eyes, heart, sexual organs, and all the organs of one's body against their improper use in order to gain the Pleasure of Allah سبحانه و تعالى. One will be accountable for all these things on the Day of Judgement.

Anas (رضي الله عنه) reported: The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) used to supplicate: "Allahumma inni a`udhu bika minal-barasi, wal-jununi, wal-judhami, wa sayyi'il-asqami' (O Allah! I seek refuge in You from leucoderma, insanity, leprosy and evil diseases).''
[Abu Dawud]

Leucoderma is a disease which gives rise to the appearance of white spots on the skin of body. Leprosy is a disease which renders one's organs invalid. Madness is mental disorder. All these are very dangerous diseases. The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) has sought Allah's Protection against these and other diseases like paralysis, diabetes, facial paralysis, cancer, blindness, etc. May Allah save us from all such diseases.

Abu Hurayrah (رضي الله عنه) reported: the Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) used to supplicate: "Allahumma inni a`udhu bika minal-ju`i, fa-innahu bi'sad-daji`u; wa a`udhu bika minal-khiyanati, fa-innaha bi'satil-bitanah' [O Allah! I seek refuge in You from hunger; surely, it is the worst companion. And I seek refuge in You from treachery; surely, it is a bad inner trait].''
[Abu Dawud]

`Ali (رضي الله عنه) reported: A slave who had made a contract with his master to pay for his freedom, came to me and said: "I am unable to fulfill my obligation, so help me.'' He said to him: "Shall I not teach you a supplication which the Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) taught me? It will surely prove so effective that if you have a debt as large as a huge mountain, Allah will surely pay it for you. Say: `Allahumm-akfini bihalalika `an haramika, wa aghnini bifadlika `amman siwaka (O Allah! Grant me enough of what You make lawful so that I may dispense with what You make unlawful, and enable me by Your Grace to dispense with all but You).''
[At-Tirmidhi]

It is important to recite this Du`a in order to seek Allah's Help in paying one's debts and in avoiding to beg of people.

`Imran ibn Husain (رضي الله عنهما) reported: The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) taught my father two statements to recite in his Du`a. These are: "Allahumma al-himni rushdi, wa a`idhni min sharri nafsi (O Allah! Inspire in me guidance and deliver me from the evils within myself).''
[At-Tirmidhi]

"Al-Hidayah'' (guidance) means the ability to do good deeds. It is an indication of the right course for every action. "Deliver me from the evils within myself'' refers to the desires of the baser self which ruin both the worldly and religious life.

Abul-Fadl Al-`Abbas Ibn `Abdul-Muttalib (رضي الله عنه) reported: I asked the Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) to teach me a supplication. He (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said, "Beg Allah for safety (from all evils in this world and in the Hereafter).'' I waited for some days and then I went to him again and asked him: "O Messenger of Allah Teach me to supplicate something from Allah.'' He said to me, "O Al-`Abbas, the uncle of Messenger of Allah! Beseech Allah to give you safety (Al-a'fiyah ) in this life and in the Hereafter.''
[At-Tirmidhi]

The prayer for "Al-a' fiyah'' includes peace and safety of one's religion and one's welfare in this world as well as in the Hereafter. This is also a very comprehensive prayer.

Shahr Ibn Haushab رحمه الله reported: I asked Umm al-Mu'mineen (Mother of the Believers) Umm Salamah (رضي الله عنها), "O Mother of the Believers! Which supplication did the Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) make frequently when he was in your house?'' She said: "He (صلى الله عليه وسلم) supplicated frequently: `Ya muqallibal-qulubi, thabbit qalbi `ala dinika (O Controller of the hearts make my heart steadfast in Your religion).''
[At-Tirmidhi]

Steadfastness in religion is the conduct of great men, which cannot be acquired without the special Grace of Allah سبحانه و تعالى. There occur many turns in a person's life when he becomes slack or negligent in religious matters or when he deviates from the course prescribed by religion. This prayer has outstanding importance for such people who are faced with such a situation. They should recite this prayer very frequently. In fact they should make its recitation a permanent feature.

Abud-Darda' (رضي الله عنه) reported: The Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said, "One of Prophet Dawud's (alayhissallam) supplications was: `Allahumma inni as'aluka hubbaka, wa hubba man yuhibbuka, wal-`amalalladhi yuballighuni hubbaka. Allahumm-aj`al hubbaka ahabba ilayya min nafsi, wa ahli, wa minal-ma'il-baridi (O Allah! I ask You for Your Love, the love of those who love You, and deeds which will cause me to attain Your Love. O Allah! Make Your Love dearer to me than myself, my family and the cold water).'''
[At-Tirmidhi]

This Hadith contains an inducement for the Love of Allah سبحانه و تعالى and highlights the importance of those who are devoted to Allah سبحانه و تعالى and their good deeds because it is the virtuous deeds which are a means of attaining the Love of Allah سبحانه و تعالى and His Nearness.

Anas (رضي الله عنه) reported: The Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said, "Recite frequently: `Ya Dhal-Jalali wal-Ikram! (O You, Possessor of glory and honour).'''
[At-Tirmidhi]

This Hadith tells us that one should make abundant use of the words `Ya-Dhal-Jalali wal-Ikram' in his prayer because these words contain the Praise of Allah سبحانه و تعالى and mention His Perfect Attributes. Some have said that Al-Jalal and Al-Ikram are Allah's Greatest Name.

Abu Umamah (رضي الله عنه) reported: The Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) made many supplications which we did not memorize. We said to him: "O Messenger of Allah! You have made many supplications of which we do not remember anything.'' He said, "Shall I tell you a comprehensive prayer? Say: `Allahumma inni as'aluka min khairi ma sa'alaka minhu nabiyyuka Muhammadun sallallahu `alaihi wa sallam. Wa `a`udhu bika min sharri mas-ta`adha minhu nabiyyuka Muhammadun sallallahu `alaihi wa sallam. Wa Antal-Musta`anu, wa `alaikal-balaghu, wa la hawla wa la quwwata illa billah (O Allah, I beg to You the good which Your Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) begged of You; and I seek refuge in You from the evil where from Your Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) sought refuge. You are the One from Whom help is sought and Your is the responsibility to communicate (the truth). There is no power or strength except with Allah the Exalted, the Great.'''
[At-Tirmidhi]

For those who do not remember many prayers, or cannot remember them, this is the best supplication to make. This shows part of Allah's Mercy upon his slaves and part of the easiness of practising Islam.

Ibn Mas`ud (رضي الله عنه) reported: One of the supplications of the Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) was: "Allahumma inni as'aluka mujibati rahmatika, wa `aza'ima maghfiratika, was-salamata min kulli ithmin, wal-ghanimata min kulli birrin, wal-fawza bil-jannati, wannajata mina-nar (O Allah! I beg You for that which incites Your Mercy and the means of Your forgiveness, safety from every sin, the benefit from every good deed, success in attaining Jannah and deliverance from Fire).''
[Al-Hakim]

report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd December 2010 16:54
Du'a After Fajr And Maghrib Salah

It is established from the sunnah of the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) that one should say, "Allahumma ajirni min an-nar," ('O Allah, save me from the Fire!') seven times after Maghrib and Fajr prayers. He told us (Allah bless him and give him peace) that saying it at Maghrib would grant one protection from the Fire if one died at night; and saying it at Fajr would grant one protection from the Fire if one died during the day. [Sunan Abi Dawud]

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd December 2010 16:56
Asking Forgiveness

Narrated 'Ubaadah (radiallahu anh) that the Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "Whoever seeks forgiveness for the believing men and believing women, Allah will write for him a good deed for each believing man and believing woman." (Tabarani) [Classified Hasan by Shaykh al-Albani (may Allah have mercy on him)].

Allaahummaghfirlee wa li waalidayya wa li ustaadhi wa li jamee'il mu'mineena wal mu'minaati wal muslimeena wal muslimaati birahmatika yaa arhamar raahimeen

O Allah forgive me, and my parents, and my teachers, and the mu'min (believing) men and women, and the muslim men and women, O You the Most Merciful of those who show mercy
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd December 2010 16:58
The Excellence of Supplicating in one's Absence

Allah, the Exalted, says:

"And those who came after them say: `Our Rubb! Forgive us and our brethren who have preceded us in Faith.''' (59:10)

"And ask forgiveness for your sin, and also for (the sin of) believing men and believing women''. (47:19)

"Our Rubb! Forgive me and my parents, and (all) the believers on the Day when the reckoning will be established.'' (14: 41)

Abud-Darda' (radiallahu anh) reported: I heard the Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) saying, "Whenever a Muslim supplicates for his (Muslim) brother in his absence, the angels say: `May the same be for you too'.''
[Muslim]

This Hadith makes it evident that one who prays for someone in his absence also stands to benefit from it because the angel appointed for the task of praying for those who pray for others will pray for him, saying, "O Allah! Grant him also the same which he has asked for others.''

Abud-Darda' (radiallahu anh) reported: The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "The supplication of a Muslim for his (Muslim) brother in his absence will certainly be answered. Everytime he makes a supplication for good for his brother, the angel appointed for this particular task says: `Ameen! May it be for you, too'.''
[Muslim]

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 3rd December 2010 15:12
Before Bed

Hudhaifah and Abu Dharr (radiallahu anhuma) reported: The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) used to supplicate when he went to bed at night: "Bismik-Allahumma ahya wa amut (With Your Name, O Allah, I expire and return to life).''
[Al-Bukhari]

Every person sleeps at night and gets up in the morning. Thus, in a way, sleep is death and reawakening is gaining life again. This life and death, like the literal life and death, lie in the Hands of Allah. The prayer cited in this Hadith engraves this concept in mind and when one recalls it every night it remains alive in his mind that "this life is for Allah and I am alive with His Will. Whenever He wills, the light of my life will be extinguished. Therefore, I should spend these few days of life lent to me by Him in accordance with His Will and not in His disobedience''.

`Ali (radiallahu anh) reported: The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said to me and to Fatimah (radiallahu anha) (Ali's wife and the Prophet's daughter), "When you go to bed, recite: Takbir (Allahu Akbar) thirty-three times and Tasbih (Subhan-Allah) thirty-three times and Tahmid (Al-hamdu lillah) thirty-three times.''

Another narration is: The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "Recite Tasbih thirty-four times.''

Another narration is: The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "Recite Takbir thirty-four times.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

It is apparent from the difference in the narrations of this Hadith that the aggregate of the wordings has to be one hundred. For this purpose, one of these invocations should be recited thirty-four times. It will be quite in order if one recites either of the three for thirty-four times because the Ahadith on the subject say this number for any of them. In this connection two Ahadith have been mentioned by Imam An-Nawawi (rahatullahi alaih) and the reciting of "Al-hamdu lillah'' thirty-four times occurs in An-Nasa'i (rahmatullahi alaih). This formula of Glorification, Praise and Elevation of Allah's Name is to be recited after every obligatory Salat and before going to bed.

Abu Hurairah (radiallahu anh) reported: The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "When any of you goes to bed, he should shake off (or dust off) his bedsheet because he does not know what might have fallen on it after he had left it. Then he should recite: `Bismika Rabbi wada`tu janbi, wa bika arfa`uhu, in amsakta nafsi farhamha, wa in arsaltaha fahfazha bima tahfazu bihi `ibadakas-salihin [With Your Name, my Rubb, I place my side (upon the bed) and with Your Grace I will raise it up. If You withhold my soul (cause me to die), have mercy on it but if You let it go (let me live), guard it against which You guarded Your pious slaves].'''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

'A'rishah (radiallahu anha) reported: Whenever the Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) went to bed, he would blow upon his hands recite Al-Mu`awwidhatain; and pass his hands over his body.
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

The last two Surah of the Qur'an, that is Surat Al-Falaq and Surat An-Nas, are called "Al-Mu`awwidhatain'' which means "Two Surah which give protection''. One must recite these Surah of the Qur'an before going to sleep so that one may, on the one hand, follow the practice of the Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam), and on the other one, finds the Protection of Allah.

Al-Bara` bin `Azib (radiallahu anhuma) reported: The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "Whenever you intend to go to bed, perform Wudu' as is done for Salat (prayer); and then lie down on the right side and recite: `Allahumma aslamtu nafsi ilaika, wa fawwadtu amri ilaika, wal-ja'tu zahri ilaika, raghbatan wa rahbatan ilaika, la malja'a wa la manja minka illa ilaika, amantu bikitabik-alladhi anzalta, wa binabiyyik-alladhi arsalta [O Allah! I have submitted myself to You. I have turned my face to You, entrusted my affairs to You and relied completely on You out of desire for and fear of You (expecting Your reward and fearing Your punishment). There is no resort and no deliverer from (hardships) except You. I affirm my faith in Your Book which You have revealed, and in Your Prophet whom You have sent].' If you die during the night, you will die in the true religion. Let these words be your last words at night.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

Anas (radiallahu anh) reported: Whenever the Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) went to his bed, he would say: "Al-hamdu lillah-illadhi at`amana wa saqana, wa kafana wa awana, fakam mimman la kafiya lahu wa la mu'wiya (Praise is due to Allah Who has fed us, provided us drink, satisfied us and gave us protection. Many are those who have no one to provide for them, or give them shelter).''
[Muslim]

This Hadith impresses upon us that Almighty Allah is sufficient for mankind. That is, He saves us from our enemies, gives us sustenance, and provides us facilities of residence and living. Due thanks should be addressed to Him alone.

Hudhaifah (radiallahu anh) reported: Whenever the Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) intended to go to sleep, he would place his right hand under his (right) cheek and supplicate: "Allahumma qini `adhabaka yauma tab`athu `ibadaka (O Allah! Guard me against Your punishment on the Day when You will resurrect Your slaves).''
[At-Tirmidhi]

In a narration in Abu Dawud, Hafsah (radiallahu anha) said: Before going to sleep the Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) would recite this Du`a three times.

This Hadith has a warning that one should never be unmindful of Allah's Wrath. In fact, one should always seek Allah's Protection and do such virtuous deeds which please Him so that one may be saved from the Divine retribution on the Day of Judgement.

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 3rd December 2010 15:14
Supplication at the time of going to Bed and Waking up

Hudhaifah and Abu Dharr (radiallahu anhuma) reported: Whenever the Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) went to bed, he would supplicate: "Bismika-Allahumma amut wa ahya (With Your Name, O Allah, I die and return to life)''; and when he woke up, he would supplicate thus: "Al-hamdu lillahilladhi ahyana ba`da ma amatana, wa ilaihin-nushur (All praise belongs to Allah Who has restored us back to life after causing us to die; and to Him shall we return).''
[Al-Bukhari]

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 8th December 2010 22:48
Abu Hurairah (radiallahu anh) reported: The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "A slave becomes nearest to his Rubb when he is in prostration. So increase supplications in prostrations.''
[Muslim]

Abu Hurairah (radiallahu 'anh) reported: The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam), "The supplication of every one of you will be granted if he does not get impatient and say (for example): `I supplicated my Rubb but my prayer has not been granted'.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

The narration of Muslim is: "The supplication of a slave continues to be granted as long as he does not supplicate for a sinful thing or for something that would cut off the ties of kinship and he does not grow impatient.'' It was said: "O Messenger of Allah! What does growing impatient mean?'' He (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "It is one's saying: `I supplicated again and again but I do not think that my prayer will be answered.' Then he becomes frustrated (in such circumstances) and gives up supplication altogether.''

One should continue beseeching Allah without ever thinking that in spite of praying for a long time, his prayer has not been granted. One should never allow frustration to overcome in his mind. If a person's supplication is not granted for a long time, there would be certainly some good for him in that delay the reason of which is known to Allah Alone. It is, therefore, essential that he should never cease to pray whether his prayer is granted or not. Persistence in prayer is certainly beneficial to him.

Abu Umamah (radiallahu 'anh) reported: The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) was asked: "At what time does the supplication find the greatest response?'' He (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) replied, "A supplication made during the middle of the last part of the night and after the conclusion of the obligatory (fard) prayers.''
[At-Tirmidhi]

`Ubadah bin As-Samit (radiallahu anh) said: The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "Whenever a Muslim supplicates Allah, He accepts his supplication or averts any similar kind of trouble from him until he prays for something sinful or something that may break the ties of kinship.'' Upon this someone of the Companions said: "Then we shall supplicate plenty.'' The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "Allah is more plentiful (in responding).''
[At-Tirmidhi]

Supplication is beneficial to us in any case, because Almighty Allah either grants the prayer we make, or if the supplication is not being accepted, He removes some future trouble that was destined for us, or He grants us in full in the Hereafter. A Muslim should never feel shy of praying to Allah. In fact, he should persistently pray because there is no end to His Treasures.

Ibn `Abbas (radiallahu anhuma) said: The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) used to say when he was in distress: "La ilaha illallahul-Azimul-Halim. La ilaha illallahu Rabbul-`Arshil-`Azim. La ilaha illallahu Rabbus-samawati, wa Rabbul-ardi, wa Rabbul-`Arshil-Karim. (None has the right to be worshipped but Allah the Incomparably Great, the Compassionate. None has the right to be worshipped but Allah the Rubb of the Mighty Throne. None has the right to be worshipped but Allah the Rubb of the heavens, the Rubb of the earth, and the Rubb of the Honourable Throne).''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

The only medicine in a time of distress is the remembrance of Allah Whose Help alone should be sought. This Du`a contains words which glorify Allah and exalt Him far above all else. It is desirable to recite these words when one is in distress as this is exactly what the Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) used to recite in such situations.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 9th December 2010 07:57
Oh Allah! Grant my soul its taqwah and purify it

A famous du'a (supplication) of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم is:

اللَّهُمَّ آتِ نَفْسِي تَقْوَاهَا وَزَكِّهَا أَنْتَ خَيْرُ مَنْ زَكَّاهَا أَنْتَ وَلِيُّهَا وَ مَوْلَاهَا

'Oh Allah! Grant my soul its taqwa and purify it, for you are the best who can purify it, for you are the Master of my soul and you are the Keeper o f my soul'

This is a beautiful du'a and we should repeat it often.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 31st December 2010 11:13
Time of the Acceptance of Du'a

This is an excerpt from Lesson 117 of al Tajrid al Sarih (The Abridged Saheeh al Bukhari) by Shaykh Abu Yusuf Riyadh ul Haq

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 25th January 2011 11:05
وَمِنْهُمْ مَنْ يَقُولُ رَبَّنَا آتِنَا فِي الدُّنْيَا حَسَنَةً وَفِي الْآخِرَةِ حَسَنَةً وَقِنَا عَذَابَ النَّارِ

"And there is among them he who says, "Our Lord, give us in this world [that which is] good and in the Hereafter [that which is] good and protect us from the punishment of the Fire."
[2:201]

"Rabbanaa aatinaa fid-dunyaa hasanah, wa fil-'aakhirati hasanah, wa qinaa adhaaban-naar" (Our Lord, give us good in this world, and good in the Hereafter, and save us from the punishment of the Fire)

This du'a is a compendium of all prayers in as much as it encompasses the entire range of man's wordly and other-worldly objectives.

[Ma'ariful Qur'an, Volume 1]

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 7th December 2011 11:14
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 13th February 2012 07:40
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 19th March 2012 10:29
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 26th March 2012 07:01
What to do when some one praises you

Mufti Taqi Usmani (D.B)

(reported from Imam Auza'i رحمة اللہ علیه in Shu'ab al -iman of Imam Baihaqi رحمة اللہ علیه)

Imam Baihaqi رحمة اللہ علیه reported in Shu'ab al-Iman from Imam Auza'i (رحمة اللہ علیه) "When some one praises a person infront of him, he should say:

Allahumma anta a'alamu bee minnafsee wa ana a'alamu binafsee minan naas Allaahumma laa tu'aakhidhnee bimaa yaqooloona, waghfir lee maa laa ya'lamoona"

"Oh Allah! You know me better than myself and I know about myself better than what the people know about me. Oh Allah do not call me to account for what they say & forgive me for what they have no knowledge of (i.e. my faults and defects)."

The praise of people is not less than a fitnah for those who serve the deen by speech or writing. So, praising in front of the person is prohibited as it gives rise to the disease of vanity. Imam Auza'i رحمة اللہ علیه has prescribed this du'a to cure it.

Shaykh Dr. Abdul Hai Arifi (رحمة اللہ علیه) used to say that if someone praises you, then say in your heart, "Oh Allah! All thanks be to you that you have shown only my virtues to this person, for, if you were to expose my weaknesses and defects, he would hate me."

He would also say, " Desire for fame and praise cannot be satisfied by one's own effort but it is up to others to fulfill it. Even if it is fulfilled, it is very short lived. Man should think, "what is the benefit achieved from this praise"?

http://tazkiyatips.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/what-to-do-when-some-one-praises-you.html
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 27th March 2012 10:01
Shaikh Mawlana Qamar uz Zaman Allahabadi (Allah preserve him) said,

'Special supplications (dua) should be made for the development of true desire (talub).

In particular the (following) supplication prescribed by the Naqshbandi saints. Allah will surely develop true yearning.

'O Allah!

You are my goal and I seek Your pleasure!

(Therefore) Bless me with Your love and marifa.'

Amin!

[al Ifadhat al Ahsaniya, page 146-7]

http://www.ashrafiya.com/2012/03/27/supplicate-for-true-yearning/
No post ratings

Quick Reply

CAPTCHA - As you are a guest, you are required to answer the following:

In the above image: What is the word in red?