Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Guard Your Tongue!

You have contributed 3.5% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
queenie, Taalibah, sweetmuslimahk1, abu mohammed, Seifeddine-M, Naqshband66, Jinn
21 guests appreciate this topic.
Rank Image
London
Brother
#31 [Permalink] Posted on 20th July 2012 12:55
Lack Of Spiritual Progress

Many of us wander at our lack of spiritual progress yet we fail to avoid the basic sins. For example, sins of the tongue such as swearing, backbiting, rumour mongering and slander.

Silence is the hallmark of a believer and one of the goals of tazkiyah is to cut down on one's speech. Most people tend to talk excessively and this in itself is a curse. We have to train ourselves to remain silent and true silence is when a person has the ability and desire to speak yet remains silent, for example when angry. We should be conscious that we will be accountable for every word we utter on the Day of Judgement.

[This short excerpt is based on a brothers' majlis (gathering held for spiritual training) held by Shaykh Abu Yusuf Riyadh ul Haq on 5th February 2003]
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#32 [Permalink] Posted on 26th July 2012 13:56
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#33 [Permalink] Posted on 9th August 2012 16:22
The Messenger of Allaah صلى الله عليه وسلم said:

"Every word uttered by a child of adam will be held against him and not in favour of him, except enjoining good, forbidding wrong, and the remembrance of Allaah سبحانه و تعالى." (Tirmidhi; Ibn Maja)

On the Day of Judgement, a person will be held accountable for everything he has said. Gossip and idle talk cause the hearts to harden and to become further from the mercy of Allaah سبحانه و تعالى. The person who engages in idle talk is deprived of the reward he could have gained had he enjoined good, forbidden evil, or spent his time in the remembrance of Allaah by glorifying Him, praising Him, extolling His greatness, supplicating to Him (du'a), reciting the Qur'an, or by invoking blessings (salawaat) upon His Messenger صلى الله عليه وسلم. (Mirqat al-Mafatih, 5:601; Mazad al-Raghibeen, 28)

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#34 [Permalink] Posted on 16th August 2012 03:01
The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said:

"Do not speak a lot without mentioning Allah. A lot of words without mentioning Allah produce hardness of the heart. The furthest of people from Allah are the hard hearted." [at-Tirmidhi]
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#35 [Permalink] Posted on 20th September 2012 00:16
The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said,

"He who keeps silent saves himself." (Tirmidhi; Ahmad)

Imam Abu Hamid al-Ghazali رحمه الله writes, "The dangers of the tongue are great and the calamities many; for instance, erring, lying, tale bearing, backbiting, ostentation, hypocricy, vulgarity, arguing, and discussing vice. Despite the dangers, the soul is inclined toward such calamities. One who falls into them can seldom keep his tongue harnessed, [therefore one should] only permit it to speak when necessary and prohibit it when necessary. Thus, there is danger in confronting these calamities, and there is safety in remaining silent, along with the opportunity one gets to gather one's thoughts, ponder, reflect, and worship." (Mirqat al-Mafatih, 8:527)

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#36 [Permalink] Posted on 21st September 2012 11:27
The Messenger Of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم said,

"Whoever is two-faced in the world will have two tongues of fire on the Day of Judgement." (Abu Dawud; ad-Darami)

To be two-faced is to act as a sympathiser toward each of two enemies and speak ill of one to the other. (Mirqat al-Mafatih, 8:591)

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#37 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd September 2012 11:51
The Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم said,

"Whoever guards his tongue, Allah will will conceal his faults." (Bayhaqi, Shu'ab al-Iman)

According to 'Allama Tibi, "guards his tongue" refers to concealing the faults of others. (Mirqat al-Mafatih, 8:844)

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#38 [Permalink] Posted on 15th October 2012 10:57
Qadi Iyas رحمه الله And The Person Who Spoke Ill Of His Fellow Muslim

Sufyan Ibn Husayn al-Wasiti رحمه الله says:

"I spoke ill of a person in the presence of Iyas Ibn Mu'awiya al-Muzani رحمه الله, who was the judge of Basra, a Tabi'ee and a very intelligent person. So he looked at me in the face and asked:

'Did you wage war against the romans?'

I replied: 'No.'

He asked: 'Did you wage war against Sind, India and the Turks?'

I replied: 'No.'

He said: 'How is it that the Romans, the Sindis, the Indians and the Turks are safe from you while your own Muslim brother is not safe from you?'"

Sufyan رحمه الله says: "I never did this again, i.e. I never found fault with anyone nor did I speak ill of anyone."

[Ibn Kathir رحمه الله: al-Bidayah wan-Nihayah, vol 9, p336]
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#39 [Permalink] Posted on 17th October 2012 10:54
Imam Ibn Wahb رحمه الله Treats Gheeba By Spending Money

Imam Ibn Wahb رحمه الله was a great muhaddith, faqeeh and zahid. He was also a companion of Imam Malik رحمه الله, Layth رحمه الله, Thawri رحمه الله, and other great scholars. He says:

"I made it incumbent upon myself that whenever I speak ill of a person, I must keep one fast [as a punishment to myself]. But this became easy for me. So I made it incumbent upon myself that whenever I speak ill of a person, I must give one dirham in charity. This was difficult for me and I eventually gave up speaking ill of anyone."

[Qadi 'Iyad رحمه الله: Tarteeb al-Madaarik, vol 3, p240]
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#40 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd November 2012 00:10
Ibn Rajab al-Hanbali رحمه الله said:

"The sins of speech include shirk (associating partners with Allah سبحانه و تعالى). This is the greates sin in Allah's sight. It also includes speaking about Allah سبحانه و تعالى without knowledge, which is the companion of shirk. It also includes giving false witness, which can be equivalent to shirk. It also includes sorcery, calumny and other major and minor sins, such as lying, backbiting, tale-spreading. In fact, the other sinful acts, in general, are usually accompanied by speech that assists in those deeds."

[Jaami' al-'Uloom wal Hikam]
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#41 [Permalink] Posted on 4th November 2012 15:47
Ibn Buraidah رحمه الله stated that he once saw Ibn 'Abbas رضي الله عنهما taking hold of his tongue and then saying, "Woe to you. Speak well and you will gain from that. Refrain from speaking evil and you will be safe. Otherwise, you must realise that you will have to be remorseful." [Ibn Rajab رحمه الله: Jaami' al-'Uloom wal Hikam]
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#42 [Permalink] Posted on 6th November 2012 09:10
Yahya Ibn Katheer رحمه الله said:

"A person's speech is not made sound except that it is reflected in the rest of his deeds. And a person's speech is not made wicked except that it is reflected in the rest of his deeds."

[Ibn Rajab رحمه الله: Jaami' al-'Uloom wal Hikam]
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#43 [Permalink] Posted on 8th November 2012 09:47
Yunus Ibn Ubaid رحمه الله said:

"One will not find any act of piety that is followed by all other acts except in the tongue. You can find a man who fasts during the day and breaks his fast on forbidden things [because of his speech]. He spends the night in prayer and during the day he gives false witness...."

"However, you will not find a person who only speaks the truth whose actions ever contradict that."

[Ibn Rajab al-Hanbali رحمه الله: al-Jaami' al-'Uloom wal Hikam]
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#44 [Permalink] Posted on 9th November 2012 10:28
Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah رحمه الله said:

"It is amazing how it is easy for a human to control and protect himself from eating forbidden items, wronging others, fornication, stealing, drinking alcohol, looking at what is forbidden while it is difficult for him to control the movement of his tongue.

You can even find a man who is considered religious, pious and a worshipper while he speaks words that anger Allah and he does not even consider them important; he is lowered by one word a distance even greater than what is between the east and the west.

How many times do you see a person who refrains from the lewd acts and wrongdoing while his tongue flows in false speech concerning the honour of those both alive and dead, and he does not even care about what he is saying."

[Abdul Malik al-Qasim: Ahsaahu-llah wa nasooh (Riyadh: Dar al-Qasim, 1995), pp 6-7]
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#45 [Permalink] Posted on 12th November 2012 23:28
ar-Rabee' Ibn Khuthaym رحمه الله would write everything that he said from one Friday to the next. If he found that he had spoken well and truthfully, he praised Allah سبحانه و تعالى; if he found an error in his speech, he repented to Allah سبحانه و تعالى.

[Dr 'A'id al-Qarni, Don't Be Sad, p276]
No post ratings

Quick Reply

CAPTCHA - As you are a guest, you are required to answer the following:

In the above image: What colour is the text 'Remote' written in?