Asslamo Allaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,
This is an extensive article on the subject of start of Faj’r and commencement of Fasting. You are requesting to help in safeguarding the fasting and acts of worship of our Muslim Brothers and Sisters by forwarding this link to as many people as you can.
- Based on near unanimous opinion of Ulama and observations in United Kingdom and Canada 18 degrees should be adopted for Subh Sadiq (true dawn) i.e. commencement of fasting and Faj'r Salah. Click here to read a detailed article on how to calculate these times for your location.
- When 18 degrees is not present, Aqrabul Ayyam (nearest day), Aqrabul Bilaad (nearest city) or Nisf ul Lail (half of night) should be adopted. Using Sab’al Layl or 1/7th of the night is a manifest error.
Key Ulama endorsing conclusions:
- Shaykh (Maulana) Ashraf Ali Thanwi (RA) [1863-1943]
- Shaykh (Mufti) Muhammad Shafi Usmani (RA) [1897-1976]
- Darul-uloom Karachi Fatwa
- Darul-uloom (Jamia) Farooqia (Karachi):
- Darul-uloom Binori Town (Karachi)
- Shaykh (Mufti) Rafi Usmani (HA)
- Shaykh (Mufti) Taqi Usmani (HA)
- Mufti Ismail Bhadkodrawi (HA) [Khantaria, India]
- 1983 consensus of British Deobandi Ulama
- Shaykh (Maulana) Yakub Qasmi (HA) [UK]
- Shaykh (Mufti) Shabbir Ahmed (HA) [UK]
- Shaykh (Mufti) Yusuf Sacha (HA) [UK]
- Shaykh (Mufti) Yusuf Danka (HA) [UK]
- Shaykh (Mufti) Ebrahim Desai (HA) [South Africa]
- Jami'yyatul Ulama Canada
- Shaykh Nuh Keller (HA) (HA) [Jordon]
- Shaykh (Dr) Haitham Al-Haddad (HA) [UK]