The Q&A section is no longer active in taking new questions. We would like to thank every person who trusted us in providing reliable and accurate answers to questions and problems. Due to lack of time available from the Ulamaa in the UK, we are unable to continue with this service.
The section will however remain available as an archive of previously answered question. To ask new questions, please consider the Q&A support section on the forum where members can assist in locating available answers from Ulamaa.

I'm in a love with a girl who feels the same way and we...

Last updated: 7th October 2004
Question ID: #56
Short URL:
Printer Friendly Version Email this page
7th October 2004

I'm in a love with a girl who feels the same way and we want to get married. Her parents object cos I'm not same caste. What does islam say about this? And what should we do?

Ulamaa ID 01
Answer last updated on:
7th October 2004
Answered by:
Ulamaa ID 01
Any person, male or female has the right to choose his or her marriage partner. Nobody must be forced into marriage as it is a lifetime commitment. Parents should also be considerate in this matter. If a baaligh (mature) person marries without the consent of his or her parent then the nikaah will be valid if Kafaa'at is met. Kafa'at means compatibility, which involves certain things such as racial backgrounds e.t.c. The purpose of Kafa'ah is so that the marriage partners are compatible to one another as they are from the same background and culture. It is easier for them to bond and form a relationship in order for it to be stable.

If marriage is performed outside of the Kafa'at without the parents consent then it will be valid. Parents have the right to invalidate it after being informed of the marriage.

Answer Approved by Shaikhul Hadeeth Mufti Farooq