The Q&A section is no longer active in taking new questions. We would like to thank every person who trusted us in providing reliable and accurate answers to questions and problems. Due to lack of time available from the Ulamaa in the UK, we are unable to continue with this service.
The section will however remain available as an archive of previously answered question. To ask new questions, please consider the Q&A support section on the forum where members can assist in locating available answers from Ulamaa.

benefits overpayment

Last updated: 21st February 2013
Question ID: #4215
Short URL:
Printer Friendly Version Email this page
21st February 2013

Assalamoalikum Dear Scholars, Few years ago i use to get benefits from the government (working tax credits and child tax credit). The tax credits allowance is based on the yearly household income. For one particular year i informed the Inland Revenue about my yearly income for that year and based on the figure i had provided ,a final decision was made by the Inland Revenue and i received benefits(working and child tax credit). However i had made an error on the yearly income, ie i had declared a lower yearly income to the Inland Revenue than what it actually was. Thus, i once again contacted Inland Revenue and informed them of the correct (higher)amount of household income. (as my household income was higher than what i had declared initially,my benefits would be lower and it would mean that i would have to repay the excess benefits that i had received). However the Inland Revenue amended the records but never asked me to repay the excess money that i had received as benefits. If i am not asked by the Inland Revenue to pay back this overpayment what can i do with the overpaid money ? Can i give it to charity ? What type of charity can i give it as ? What intention do i make ? JAZAKALLAH KHAIR.

Ulamaa ID 12
Answer last updated on:
13th March 2013
Answered by:
Ulamaa ID 12
Location: United Kingdom
Bismillahir Rahmaanir Raheem

Al Jawaab Wa Billahit-Tawfeeq

Respected questioner,

Please phone/contact Inland Revenue and explain the situation and ask what should be done.

And Allah knows best