Ulamaa ID 10
Answer last updated on:
9th December 2007
Ulamaa ID 10
Waalaikumussalam warahmatullahi wabarakatuh.
Bismillahir rahmaanir rahim.
Yes, you will be permitted to use them but with some preconditions and they are as follows:
From the various forms of pleasing one another, the usage of sex toys/aides, such as vibrators, dildos, lubricants, etc. has become (or is becoming) a common phenomenon. Islamically, there is nothing wrong in using such toys provided the following conditions are met:
1) The toy must not be harmful in any way to the spouses, for inflicting harm upon yourself is unlawful
2) The toy must not have an animate figure to it
3) It should not be inserted into the inner-private part of the women; rather only such toys should be used that stimulate the outer private parts, such as the clitoris
4) It should not contain any haraam ingredients
5) It should only be used in foreplay and in order to enhance the act of intercourse, not to substitute it
6) It should not be used so often that it becomes an integral part of the intercourse, so much so that the spouse then cannot gain sexual gratification without it
7) One should also ensure that he does not commit any haraam act when acquiring these toys nor should he go to any places of haraam, such as adult gift shops. Even though one will be going for a valid reason, he is sure to look at haraam pictures and others who see him enter will probably entertain evil thoughts about him. A possible alternative would be to purchase it over the internet. Looking at haraam pictures can be easily avoided by switching off the display of pictures on ones browser
If the above conditions are taken care of, coupled with the permission and consent of the spouse, then there seems no hindrance from employing such toys.
Having said that, it must be remembered that, it is unlawful to use such toys alone to alleviate one’s loneliness, etc. for this would be considered a form of masturbation, which is unlawful (haram) and sinful.
Therefore, if there is a fear that by using these aides/toys during intercourse with one’s spouse, one may be tempted to employ them when alone, then they must be avoided altogether.
1) Fatwa of Mufti Muhammad ibn Adam al-Kawthari of Darul Iftaa, Leicester, UK (http://www.daruliftaa.com/question.asp?txt_QuestionID=q-08072014)
2) Fatwa of Mufti Ebrahim Desai (1st Question - http://www.askimam.org/fatwa/fatwa.php?askid=87ce90ed93f0b2db4a215e65bc474d76)
And Allah knows best.