Ulamaa ID 04
Answer last updated on:
2nd June 2007
Ulamaa ID 04
Al-jawab billahi at-taufeeq (the answer with Allah's guidance)
"Eid-un-Nabi or Milad-un-Nabi" is prohibited according to the Shariah. Attaching importance and significance to such functions is purely Bidah and an innovation in Deen, because neither did Rasulullah himself indulge in it, nor did the illustrious Khulafaa-e-Raashideen (Radhiyallaahu-Anhum) organise such functions. Similarly, neither did any of the other Sahaaba-e-Kiraam (Radhiyallaahu-Anhum) participate in such gatherings, nor is there any
incident on record during the blessed era of the Taabi'een or Tab'e Taabi'een (Rahmatullaahi Alayhim) that can, in any way, substantiate this innovation. There is no proof whatsoever that can be found for Milad.
Allah Ta'ala says,
"And whatsoever the messenger giveth you, take it. And whatsoever he forbiddeth, abstain (from it). And keep your duty to Allah. Lo! Allah is stern in reprisal." (59:7)
Rasulullah (Sallallaaahu Álayhi Wasallam) has said: - "whoever introduces anything that is not part of Deen, into this Deen of ours, it shall be rejected." (Bukhari/Muslim)
In another Hadith he says: -
"Hold steadfast onto my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the rightly-guided Khulafaa, after me. Hold steadfast onto it firmly, and beware of newly-introduced practices, for every new practice is an innovation and every innovation leads one astray." (Abu Dawood/Tirmizi)
Some of the innovations that have been introduced into the customary Milad which makes it impermissible are:
1. Believing it to be compulsory or something essential in Deen.
2. Looking down at those who don't attend, organize or host such functions.
3. Showing so much importance and emphasis to these functions over other important actions like Salaah etc.
4. Intermingling of the sexes that take place at such gatherings.
5. Believing Nabi (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) to be present at the time the Salaam takes place etc.
6. Attending even though one may abstain from these evils, will be adding to the glitter and glamour of people of innovation and the Hadith mentions that whosoever adds to the glitter and glamour of a people will be counted from amongst them.
And Only Allah Ta'ala Knows Best.