The Q&A section is no longer active in taking new questions. We would like to thank every person who trusted us in providing reliable and accurate answers to questions and problems. Due to lack of time available from the Ulamaa in the UK, we are unable to continue with this service.
The section will however remain available as an archive of previously answered question. To ask new questions, please consider the Q&A support section on the forum where members can assist in locating available answers from Ulamaa.

circumscision for 12 year old

Last updated: 16th August 2006
Question ID: #2248
Short URL:
Printer Friendly Version Email this page
16th August 2006

asalaamu alikum wrwb,
today @ work i came across an issue which i would like your help in solving, i have two questions, 1- there is a 12 year old boy who has not been circumscised, is it fard for him to have it done at his age?
2- do you have a contact number for a doctor in the east midlands who can perform the operation? jzkhr

Ulamaa ID 04
Answer last updated on:
9th December 2007
Answered by:
Ulamaa ID 04
Location: London

Al-jawab billahi at-taufeeq (the answer with Allah's guidance)

Circumcision for males is a highly emphasised way of the Messenger of Allah (Sunnah Mu’akkadah) and one of the salient features of Islam (Sha’air).

Nabi (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said, 'Five practices are the characteristics of Fitrah (nature); circumsicion, plucking the armpit hairs, shaving the pubic hair, clipping the nails and cutting the moustache short.' (Bukhari).

If a child (attained puberty) or a grown up male is not in a position to tolerate or bear the pain of circumcision, or there is fear of harm being inflicted, then circumcision can be (and should be) avoided.

Allah Most High says:

“On no soul does Allah place a burden greater than it can bear” (Qur’an, 2:286).

Hafiz Ibn Hajr al-Asqalani (RH) says:

“If the child attained puberty, and he is weak to an extent that if circumcision was carried out on him, he will perish, then the necessity of circumcision will no longer remain” (Fath al-Bari, 10/289).

(Also see: Ahsanul Fataawa Vol. 9 Pg. 61,62)

2) You can contact your local Masaajids. Please view this link:


And Only Allah Ta'ala Knows Best.