Question & Answers
Assalamu ?alaikum wa rahmat-ul-lahi wa barakatuh
I am having a dialogue with a Christian (from the Jehovah?s Witness group) and would be grateful if you could answer the following questions: (Please quote references wherever possible. In the case of a book reference please state where I can obtain an English or Arabic copy of the book. Please also be as detailed as possible.)
1) What was the original Torah, Zabur and Injeel as they were revealed to Musa, Dawud and Isa (Peace be upon them) respectively by Allah? Were they divine messages revealed to them (Wahy) not written down on anything, or were they divine messages revealed to them (Wahy) in written form?
2) Were the original Torah, Zabur and Injeel revealed to their respective Prophets (Musa, Dawud and Isa, Peace be upon them) all at once (in one interval) or over a period of time? How were they revealed?
3) Did the original Torah, Zabur or Injeel exist in written form during the lifetime of their respective Prophets, or did they simply exist in the form of an oral message promulgated by them?
a) If the original Torah, Zabur or Injeel did exist in written form during the lifetime of their respective Prophets then is anything known as to what happened to these original manuscripts?
b) If the original Torah, Zabur or Injeel did not exist in written form during the lifetime of their respective Prophets then how were they preserved and their message spread?
c) Please explain how the original Torah, Zabur and Injeel were composed of in written form, if they did indeed exist in such a form.
4) Was the original Torah in its pristine form during the lifetime of Dawud (Peace be upon him)? What was its status during this period (i.e. was it abrogated)?
5) Were the original Torah or Zabur in their pristine form during the lifetime of Isa (Peace be upon him)? What was their status during this period (i.e. were they abrogated)?
6) Were the original Torah, Zabur or Injeel in their pristine form during the lifetime of Muhammad (Peace be upon him)?
7) There are some narrations that state Imam Mahdi (Peace be upon him) will bring out the original Torah and Injeel from the earth (see below). Are these narrations authentic and do they imply that the original Torah and Injeel were preserved in written form?
Ka?b al-Ahbar says, ?He will be called ?Mahdi? because he will guide (yahdi) to something hidden and will bring out the Torah and Gospel from a town called Antioch.? (Abu Nu?aym)
As-Suyuti mentioned in al-Hawi that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, ?He is called the Mahdi because he will guide people to a mountain in Syria from which he will bring out the volumes of the Torah to refute the Jews. At the hands of the Mahdi the Ark of the Covenant will be brought forth at Lake Tiberias and taken and placed in Jerusalem.?
(From ?Al Mahdi and the end of time? by Muhammad ibn ?Izzat and Muhammad ?Arif, published by Dar Al Taqwa Ltd. under the section ?Why he will be called ?Mahdi??)
8) There are numerous examples where the meanings to the text of the Torah, Zabur and Injeel as we have them have been twisted. Is there any example or evidence where the text has been misplaced, taken out, added in or replaced with another?
9) Many accounts have been reported regarding Muhammad?s (Peace be upon him) characteristics and description in the Torah, Zabur and Injeel. (See below)
a) Are these accounts of the Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) still to be found in their respective books in their entirety and with the same level of clarity? If so, where?
b) Have these descriptions been changed and made ambiguous to the common reader, or even deleted? If yes, when and how did it happen?
c) Did the people who read these accounts have different Torah?s, Zabur?s and/or Injeel?s from what most people have today?
A description of Muhammad (Peace be upon him) in the Torah:
?Muhammad, the son of ?Abdullah. He shall be born in Makkah. The place of his migration shall be Madinah. His country will be Syria. He shall neither be a man of harsh temperament, nor shall he speak roughly. He shall not make noise in bazars. He shall be away from the acts of immodesty.?
(From Ma?ariful Qur?an in relation to an incident reported by Mazhari with reference to Dala?il al-Nubuwwah by Baihaqi)
Al-Baihaqi has reported the following statement in Dala?il-al-Nubuwwah, on the authority of Wahb ibn Munabbih:
?Allah revealed to the Prophet Dawud in the Zabur as follows: ?O, Dawud, there shall come a prophet after you. His name shall be Ahmad.???
Ibn ?Asakir and Ibn Sa?d have cited full chain of narrators saying that Sahl Maula Khuthaimah has informed that he read the following description concerning the Holy Prophet (Peace be upon him) in the Injeel:
?He shall neither be short nor shall he be tall. Colour shall be fair, hair, in two locks. He shall bear a seal of prophethood on his body between shoulders. He shall not accept alms, shall ride on camel and by himself shall he milk the goat, and wear the patched clothes. ?
?He shall be in the line of Ismail. His name shall be Ahmad.?
(From ?Ma?ariful Qur?an? by Maulana Mufti Muhammad Shafi in the commentary for Surah 7:157)