Ulamaa ID 05
Answer last updated on:
20th November 2005
Ulamaa ID 05
Location: Batley, England
In the name of Allah the Merciful, the Kind
1. A lady who is in the state of Haidh (monthly cycle) cannot recite from the Quran for the reason that she is temporary in a state of impureness. The Manzil consists of chapters from the Quran hence it cannot be recited (Shami Vol.1,Pg 214 Baab Haidh).
2. Many of the Duas (supplications) written and collected in Hisbul Azam contain Quranic verses; it is permitted to recite such Quranic verses with the intention of reading them as Duas. (Shami Vol.1,Pg 214 Baab Haidh, Ahsanul Fatawa, Vol 2 Pg 67).
3. If the Quranic verses are not in the meaning of or cannot be recited as Dua's then it is not permissible to recite them.
4. If the Hisbul Azam in translated into Urdu or other languages it is also permissible to recite.
5. For such a lady (who is the state of Haidh) to recite the Duas, and Zikr (remembrance of Allah) within Hisbul Azam if they are not part of the Quranic text is also permissible. (Fatawa Rahimiyah Vol. 1 Pg 196)
In conclusion, it is permissible for a lady who is on her monthly cycle to recite any form of Zikr (remembrance of Allah) other than recitation of the Quran. But if those verses of Quran are recited which hold the meaning of Duas then with the intention of Dua it is permissible to recite them.
And Allah knows best
18 Nov 2005