Assalamu Alaikum Respected Mufti Sahib,
I know that it is wajib to grow the beard but many ppl claim that the beard only has to be seen and the one fist rule is a made up concept by the late deobandi ulamaa. Is one fist proven from Hadeeth or from the doings of the Sahabaa? Can you please put some light on this issue as I have not found any questions on the beard.
Regarding the cutting of the beard, six words have appeared in Ahadeeth.
1. A'foo (Mentioned in Sihaah Sittah - To grow until increased and long) 2. Awfoo (To complete, to finish, to fulfil) 3. Arkhoo (To leave loose, to hang, to make something wide or long) 4. Arji-oo (To leave something completely, in its state) 5. Waffiroo (To increase, To complete) 6. Da'oo (To Leave)
All words used in Ahadeeth by Rasoolullah (saw) indicates to the beard growing full length.
Imaam Muhammad (Rahimahullah) relates that Imam Abu Hanifah (Rahimahullah) said regarding the growingof the beard, "The beard should be left to grow until it becomes thick and long. It is Sunnah to do Qasr in the beard. [i:c2b65a5e38]Qasr[/i:c2b65a5e38] is to take hold of the beard in the fist and whatever exceeds it, cut it." (Al-Ikhtiyaar, Sharhul Mukhtar, Vol 4 Page 167)
Many other places have mentioned the definition of Qasr in beard. This is just one example.
* Additionally, it can be perceived from the following regarding the length:
Khabbaab IbnAl-Arat (Radhiyallahu 'Anhu) replying, "By the moving of his (Nabi's (saw)) beard" when he was asked if Nabi (saw) used to recite in Zuhr and 'Asr. (Full hadeeth mentioned in Abu Dawud, The Book of Salah, Chapter on Recitation in Zuhr, Vol 1, Page 123)
It is common sense that for the beard to move due to recitation, the beard has to be fairly long and not just on the cheeks as mentioned in your question. Nabi (saw) was seen from behind and the moving of a beard which is only on cheeks and not long can no be seen from behind unless it is long.
* Khilal of the beard is also proven from Ahadeeth. Khilal is only possible on a long beard. If the beard is tinythen Khilal is not possible to perform.
* The combing of the beard is also proven from Ahadeeth. There is no reason to comb a beard which is flat.
* The beard is a Sunnah of all the Prophets (Alaihimus Salam). Hence, it is mentioned in the Qur'aan, "Sieze me not by my beard, nor my head"
Haroon (Alaihis Salaam) said this to Musa (Alaihis Salam) when he was held by the beard. If the beard was less than a fist, Musa (Alaihis Salam) would not have been able to grasp it.