Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Watering Down of Istikhara?

You have contributed 35.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
Taalibah, abu mohammed
#16 [Permalink] Posted on 21st October 2014 10:41
Making assumptions about whether a person was able to comprehend or not, or about their sincerity, ability to adjust, patience, etc. is not appropriate - especially in situations we were not involved in.

The answer is in the OP link (there is mashwara there too) and in what sister ummi taalib has stated, especially here: "...knowing with firm conviction that this is from Allah ta'ala and is in my best interest." I don't see istikhara being "watered down."
report post quote code quick quote reply
+0 -0Agree x 3
Rank Image
London
Brother
#17 [Permalink] Posted on 21st October 2014 11:02
Guest-218443 wrote:
View original post

Agree - One can not step into someone else's shoes and see the picture.

However, the next best thing for the people in the example would be to act upon a very popular sunnah of forget and forgive. If this can't be achieved then I guess it's pointless.

Quote:
"...knowing with firm conviction that this is from Allah ta'ala and is in my best interest."

Alhumdulillah, if there is this understanding then I don't see the need of such things being discussed. Accept the Qadr of Allah and move on!

It's like saying, "Yep, its the Qadr of Allah but why?"

Khair, lets stick to the discussion and not make it personal to the extent that it becomes a one on one issue. This thread is about those who feel that Istikihara has been watered down and why.
+2 -0Like x 1Winner x 1
#18 [Permalink] Posted on 21st October 2014 11:24
Brother OP, I shared my input here on specific invitation from you. Insha'Allah I have understood you and insha'Allah what I've shared makes sense.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#19 [Permalink] Posted on 21st October 2014 11:36
Quote:
Insha'Allah I have understood you and insha'Allah what I've shared makes sense.

Hearing one side of any story will never help someone understand any issue fully. It's almost impossible to make sense without the other half.

This is the case when divorce takes place too, many times people only hear what the husband has to say and never what the wife wants to say or vice-versa. And when people conclude that, yep they are right and I understand the whole issue without fully knowing what the other party has to say, then this is very unfair and un-Islamic.

It's like brother OP is the judge and has to conclude without hearing the other external reasons.

Anyways, since you've mentions that you've shared your input, I take it that's all there is to say.

Let's please stick to the topic.
No post ratings
#20 [Permalink] Posted on 21st October 2014 12:03
Authorizer brother abu mohammed, what are you getting at? I agree... please stick to the topic. My previous message was for OP brother Muadh and my messages under this thread were all directly related to the OP topic.
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#21 [Permalink] Posted on 21st October 2014 12:13

Anonymous wrote:
View original post

I understand.

How about this? I think that people who do Istikhara often get confused about what is actually good or bad. What Allah (SWT) considers good for us may not be what our feeble minds consider good because we lack insight.

+1 -0Like x 1
#22 [Permalink] Posted on 21st October 2014 12:20
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

JazakAllah khayran.

Yes, and in that case there may be an issue with 'full conviction' right? Ultimately, it seems to boil down to knowledge and understanding. So, perhaps istikhara isn't being waterered down but rather people just don't understand it, know about it or have experience with it. The sister in your OP link is trying to understand and insha'Allah the reply (guidance towards continued istikhara) will prove helpful for her.

No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#23 [Permalink] Posted on 21st October 2014 12:28

Anonymous wrote:
View original post

Years ago a pious person stayed in our house in America for a few months, I was in college and didn't understand much about things (still don't) but I remember that he used to make Istikhara every single night before sleeping. When I asked him about it he said that Istikhara is a "dua" for making affairs easier and asking guidance so it should be perpectual.

What I have learnt from this thread and your points is that the issue needs to be practised so a person is used to interpreting results (correctly and accurately). In my mind this is the guidance which is missing i.e. we should highlight to people that you can't make Istikhara (once in a blue moon) and expect results to be correctly (interpreted).

Does that make sense?

No post ratings
#24 [Permalink] Posted on 21st October 2014 12:29
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

Also, this is why we do istikhara - because we "often get confused about what is actually good or bad. What Allah (SWT) considers good for us may not be what our feeble minds consider good because we lack insight." With full conviction in our hearts, we perform istikhara and insha'Allah have full conviction that the outcome is full of khayr (regardless of how it appears to our feeble minds).

+0 -0Agree x 1
#25 [Permalink] Posted on 21st October 2014 12:42
Well, that is not exactly what I am saying. Regardless of how often a person makes du'aa, if the person is confused about the process they can do it a thousand times and still come out confused whereas a person who gets the process (of making du'aa in general and istikhara specifically) will feel full conviction - confusion isn't an option there. The need to make perpetual du'aa isn't diminished. I mean, does our need to make perpetual du'aa necessarily mean the outcome of a specific du'aa is dependent on how often we make du'aa and how often we utilize a specific method of du'aa? And, we know du'aa is answered in a number of ways - some in the akhirah - so looking for specific signs (such as a clear dream) and having conviction in the heart are not necessarily the same thing.
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#26 [Permalink] Posted on 21st October 2014 12:46

Anonymous wrote:
View original post

I know you are not saying that but I am making a point that if a person only acts once in a bluemoon how would they know about interpreting the results? We only pray Eid Salah twice a year so a mistakes are often made in number of Takbeers etc.

Its the old law of averages, isn't it?

No post ratings
#27 [Permalink] Posted on 21st October 2014 13:02
They would know because there would be no opposition - full conviction in their heart. Like:

"Firāsah is a light (nūr) in the form of a thought that rushes into the heart and overwhelms everything else. With it the servant can distinguish between truth and falsehood, the spiritual state and the none, the truthful and the liar. It can be diffrentiated from other thoughts in that there is no opposition to it."

(source: unable to post link to askimam fatwa# 30891 you tweeted just recently)

This is why, when a person has full conviction in their heart (that is what they feel, they believe, they have no opposition in their heart towards it, they do so remembering Allah Ta'aala, invoking His name, making du'aa to Him) they may not feel the need to specifically perform istikhara.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#28 [Permalink] Posted on 21st October 2014 13:29
Guest-218443 wrote:
View original post

What I'm getting to is:

“And it may be that you dislike a thing which is good for you and that you like a thing which is bad for you. Allah knows but you do not know.” (AI-Baqarah, 2:216)
No post ratings
#29 [Permalink] Posted on 21st October 2014 13:34
Shaykh Hamuyun Hanif has a very good urdu lecture on Istikharah on Tazkiya a Nafs website He also mentions what Brother Muadh was stating about perpetual Istikharah and Istikharah having been watered down....The Shaykh states that he makes Istikharah for every single thing to the extent that if he is Walking to a particular destination, and there are two roads that will take him to the same destination, he recites dua of Istikharah asking for guidance on which route will be the better option, for him to take.

He also states that if you invoke Allah in every decision process, then everything that happens to you will have Khayr in it. Prior to this like many other people I assumed Istikharah was simply for marriage not realising that one should do Istikharah for every decision and that Allah is pleased with those servants who seek his help in every decision and it is one of the ways of obtaining Allah Taalas nearness.
+0 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#30 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd October 2014 09:53
No post ratings