Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Islam and Feminisim

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 20th April 2015 09:37
As salamu alaikum to everyone

A good friend of mine doing a research about islam and feminism. I request all members to contribute so that we can give the right concept about this. Im looking forward for the posts.

JazakAllahu Khayran
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 20th April 2015 10:06
I really dont know anything about this topic. Looking forward for the posts
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 20th April 2015 11:02
+3 -0Like x 2Winner x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 20th April 2015 16:02

AishaZaynap wrote:
View original post

I think feminism may have something to do with the feminine species of the humans? I am not sure…

+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 20th April 2015 17:17
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

i was expecting something benefical... bit dissapointed to be honest
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 20th April 2015 17:18
ibn Ismail wrote:
View original post

JazakAllahu Khayran for this booklet.
No post ratings
UK
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 20th April 2015 17:31
Islam and Feminism??!!??

Islam does not support feminism (in its literal sense)

A man and woman are different physically, mentally, biologically and psychologically
The responsibility of a man in Islam is far greater (which is actually a blessing unto women)
The status of a person in Islam is on actions and deeds/Taqwa
Certain positions are reserved for males whereas certain positions are reserved from women

Feminists argue about equality in worldly matters in which case the subject should not be ISLAM and FEMINISM because Islam has only one guideline in this regard, if it's not HARAM, it's HALAL (Permissible). So with everything (all rules and regulations of modesty and social guidelines preserved), there is no argument.

If there's a factory or a school that's all women staff and there's no provisions for safety from mixing then equally the MAN is also prohibited.

This subject is most commonly the ranting of women who feel they need more power than what God, nature, society and true freedom has given. It has nothing to do with religion and to associate it with or compare it within religion is foolish and will lead to more confusion.

Studies show that most women do not even understand feminism and what they want. Try yourself by asking a few women two questions, record the answers and then compare:
1. Do you support Feminism? (If yes, then Q2)
2. What is Feminism and what do you wish is achieved by the movement.

I leave you with a great quote to understand equality in genders:
Quote:
The sword does cut both ways, but one side of the blade is sharper than the other
+7 -0Like x 4Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 20th April 2015 18:55
Yasin wrote:
View original post

to be honest i personally believe it would be a good point in her argument. JazakAllahu Khayran for this post. i would like to ask that i have heard somewhere about islamic feminism...Although i know there is no such thing but how can you explain to others? if there is article about it, it would be much apperiated.
+1 -0
Rank Image
London
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 20th April 2015 19:40
A lot of people talk about feminism and women's rights etc, but the point is that Islam is about JUSTICE and not necessarily equality.

The justice system in Islam is in favour of women and not like how the media portrays it to be.

See also edition.cnn.com/2014/10/14/opinion/muslim-convert-irpt/ from feminism to Islam and there's many examples like it.
+1 -0
Rank Image
Germany
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 21st April 2015 08:20
As some very close family members of mine associate themselves with feminism I was also forced to do some research (googling) on this topic, especially since all my arguments against this movement (which I call a modern sect) were rejected for supposedly being based on misrepresantations of real feminism or prejudices. I believe there are two core parts to dealing with this issue in a reasonable way:

1. Explaining how Islam honours & not oppresses women
2. and that feminisim is far from being an ideal ideology
& often not compatible with the pure teachings of Islam

Now, you'll insha'Allah find a lot of talks, articles and books on the first part... but these alone usually do not suffice to change the minds of those already impressed and influenced by feminism. Thay are more likely to only deliver strength to those already considering this modern sect of feminism alien to the ideal of Islam. So, here are a few articles which might prove useful in making the second argument clearer:

Women’s Mosque? Women’s Empowerment? - Khalid Baig
An excellent writer on contemporary issues from an Islamic view. Here also brother (or uncle) Khalid Baig did a great job in unveiling the deception behind feminism and explaining how Islam does not need the influence of feminism to do women justice. May Allah ta'ala reward him abundantly for his on-going endeavours.

The Feminist Movement and the Muslim Woman - Maryam Jameelah
This article (and besides it those linked in the left side bar) is a more academical attempt to expose this sect by shedding light on it's initiation, history and compatibility with our blessed Shariah. I have not personally read all of the pages yet...

British Muslim women don't need the West's version of feminism, OK? - Shelina Janmohamed
Although the article is not from a very traditional or purely orthodox viewpoint, but it helps to understand that today's movement of modern feminism is very biased towards religion - especially Islam. Take a few useful points from here and ignore anything you might regard as too washed down.

I think after reading these it should be clear to everyone, that there exist many articles, beliefs and objectives of this sect which a sincere Muslim can never agree with. So, every time we or our sisters in faith are promoting feminism we are adding strength to this sect (in disguise as human right activism) and their own agenda clearly opposing our beautiful teachings of Islam. Some circles also try to introduce the new idea of Islamic feminism to deceive lay Muslims into believing, that Islamic teachings and sources might somehow substantiate the sick values promoted by this sect.

Noteworthy on this notion is, that the six verses of Surah al-Kafirun (chapter 109 of the Noble Qur'an) are teaching us loud & clearly that Islam is self-sufficient and is not in any need of making way for beliefs or practises contrary to it's outlined principles. As the late and honorable Shaykh Mufti Muhammad Shafi' Usmani رحمة الله عليه writes under the commentary of this Surah, "there is no room of compromise in the matter of Divine Law or the basic tenets of Divine religion." Pondering over these few verses one comes to the conclusion, that similarly like Muslims disassociate themselves from any alien manners of worshipping they also should distance themselves from any modern idealogies or movements alien to Islam.

Last but not least: I'm not implying by any means that Muslim communities are not plagued by injustice and oppression directed towards it's female members, yet the solution to these vices lies not in feminism but in true Islam.

Wallahu 'Alam - please correct me if I erred somewhere...
+3 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Germany
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 21st April 2015 08:49
Another point for us living in the West: The widespread disconnection and many times opposition to religion in general we witness in the modern western civilization, in majority of the cases has it's roots in the medieval Europe & is based on their bad experiences with the Christianity of the organized church. Muslim scholars have never been guilty of discussing wether their gender counterparts are even humans or at least possess souls...

Halalified YT Audio
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 21st April 2015 11:07
My Perspetive

Feminism, theoretically, purportedly, is about giving women their due.
Ultimately that will be the definition that a feminist will resort to.

We must keep that in mind when dealing with feminism and feminists for these can be very nasty.

Needless to say that the concept has been coined by the west.
In practical terms they will thrust man-woman equality in the name of feminism.

That too is just upto some level.
But even a concept like equality can be frustratingly vague.

Does it mean that man should bear half of the children his stomach?
That would be absurd.
So there has to be some refinement when equality of man and woman is concerned.

And then the noble Qur'an says that man and woman are equal but man has slight superiority.
I have not met any Muslim taking this badly but there was an atheist at SF who concluded so many bad things about Islam based on above Verse.

Clearly above Verse is a tie breaker and certainly not an annulment of women's rights.
That is how we should take it.

In summary we should be aware of the tie breaker clause and we should be aware of equality where judicious balence is required.
This balance will depend upon issues under consideration.

These issues can not be decided without cooperation of Ulama and people who are in real life facing modern situations.

Personally it has been a frustrating situation for me to even talk about these matters.
But I'll talk as much as I can so welcome.
+3 -0Like x 2Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 21st April 2015 19:49
Thank you for this benefical posts from brothers. i would like to ask another question since that In Turkey economists encourage women to work as only 30% of women participates in the labor force.As you all know that if you increase labor force participation, it will increase the real GDP growth. Which means your standart of living increases. Also i would like to mention that 11.781( this is the lastest statistics which is 2015 January)women are housewifes in Turkey. How does Ä°slam look at women searching for jobs and working in a job? Because one of the argument i have heard is women are discouraged because of their husbands and also from their community too.. You might ask how does this got to do with feminism well if man works according to feminism ideology women can work also. I will give a scenorio so that i want to understand the topic better as well.This scenario is a case in everyday.

This women who gained her BA or BS then did her masters then to PHD and so on. She obviously want to work eventhough their is no financial problem in the household.She wants to work due to i have studied all this time and i want to get the benefit of it. Now can you stop this women? What would be islamic perspective on this scenario?
No post ratings
Rank Image
Germany
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 21st April 2015 20:28
AishaZaynap wrote:
View original post
I'm not a scholar, so please don't take my posts as fatwas. But I think as long as one keeps the following four points in mind, there is not really something wrong with women working:

1. Understand it's not her responsibility (talking about general scenario).
2. Domestic affairs & upbringing of children should not suffer due to it.
3. Working place should not violate rulings on hijab & intermingling of genders.
4. Work should obviously create 100% halal income.

Sayyidatuna Khadija al-Kubra (radhiallahu anha) was also a successful business-woman.
(Read: 7 Remarkable Things about Khadijah)

But this is just how I understood the issue, here is a more qualified opinion from AskImam.org:
Quote:
Shariah has given women the right to earn her own income irrespective of anyone providing for her or not. On the same note, Shariah desires for a woman to remain in the confinements of her home and look after the domestic affairs. Also, modesty is an essential part of Deen more so for a woman. Shariah has never made it compulsory upon women to work. If she is a daughter, Shariah has made the father responsible to provide for his daughter. If she is a wife, the husband is made responsible. If she is a mother, the son has to take care of her. If she is a sister, the responsibility is put upon the shoulders of her brother. If she has no immediate relatives, then Shariah has made it that her far relatives must look after her. In a case where she has no relatives at all, the Islamic government has to take this responsibility. Never does Shariah force a woman to go out in the work field and provide for herself, thereby making it easier upon her to maintain her shame and modesty.

Nevertheless, Shariah does permit a woman to acquire her own income. However, in all cases Shar’ee purdah must to be adopted. The ideal approach would be for her to work from home so that she does not have to leave the confinement of her house. If she must leave the house, then such work should be taken which allows her to adhere to Shar’ee purdah. It will be impermissible for her to take up such work in which she is interacting with non-mahram males without a Shar’ee purdah.

Fatawa Mehmoodia (19/184) Jamia Farooqia

Aap Kay Masa’il Aur Unka Hal (8/69) Maktaba Ludhyanwi
Again Islam has given all guidelines and a nice solution to this scenario too, so I don't understand the need for modern feminism...
+4 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 21st April 2015 20:29
True Life wrote:
View original post

brother i totally agree with your posts however yes only solution to the 'opressed women' does not lay in feminism but in true islam however islam is represented very bad these days. Ä° would like to mention that some families even dicourage their own children from doing obligatory actions such as prayer so that their children wont involve in deviant tariqat. Now since this image is present in Muslims, how can you show them about real Ä°slam?
No post ratings