Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
Maria al-Qibtiyya
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 19th January 2015 09:34
Aoa!

I understand that this is a UK centric forum, but since the matters of religion are global I figured it's no harm asking a question here.

Any ways, I have 2 general questions.

1. ARE PAKISTANI PRIZE BONDS HALAL OR NOT?
In case you are not aware what they are; they are bearer type of investment bonds/certificates. Meaning whoever holds them, owns them. They are not issued specifically in someones name and are easily available. Regulated by State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) and sold by every other bank as well. They are issued in various denominations like PKR 100, 200, 750, 1500, 15000, 25000, 40000.
Now when you buy a 100 PKR bond, you can sell it back to the bank, any person or even to a shopkeeper (if he is willing to buy) for exactly 100 PKR or something worth 100 PKR.
A specific value bond is issued on let's say 1st of January, you can buy it till 30th of January, then it goes in a shut period of 2 months and eventually on 1st April, they hold a lucky draw. There is one (1) first prize of huge amount (fixed but different for every bond value) and one (1) second prize of good amount (again fixed but different for every denomination) and roughly 1500-2000 third prizes of some money (again fixed and different).
These bonds are issued to invest in government projects and to basically keep the economy running while promising a reward for the lucky winners. No one, except for the SBP or some genius people, knows the total number of bonds running in the market but one thing is for sure there are quite so many, like at least 1 Million, more perhaps, and only 2000 winners every 3 months. So the probability of winning is extremely low like 0.001% even if you hold like 100 bonds.
I am a sort of person who believes in luck and I don't consider myself lucky. But you never know when it might turn around specially since I have at least one bond of almost all denominations. And the smallest price on the highest denomination is still good enough that I might be questioned about it on the final day, if it is illegal.
SBP calls it no interest savings. But I read somewhere that if you win any of the prizes, they obviously pay you from the pool of money they earned by investing this money. Now if they invested this money in projects and earned a profit then I suppose it could be legal but no one knows how much of that money goes into loaning.
So please assist me regarding this. Reply back for clarification of the question.

Secondly,
2. IS ISLAMIC BANKING HALAL?
If you have ever had a chance to visit Pakistan you would notice that there are so many banks around here and some run purely on the basis of Islamic Banking, that is they don't deal with the conventional banking. Like Albaraka, DIB, MCB, and several others.
Unlike Prize Bonds, they even state all their practices as Islamic and even have a certificate signed by the Mufti of the country, usually uploaded on their website.
My question is that I have an account with one of these banks and save a little of my pocket money in it. After every month the bank pays me a profit which is a certain percentage of the average money I kept in my account for that month. This percentage is NEVER FIXED but is roughly around 2%. Also, the profit is nothing compared to the original amount just 300 or 500 PKR but still it's in my account so I need to know if it is Halal or not?

I am sorry for such a long post but I had to clarify.
Please reply soon.

Regards.
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 30th July 2016 01:08
This post has been reported. It could be due to breaking rules or something as simple as bad use of bbcodes which breaks the page format. We will attend to this soon.
+0 -0Disagree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 30th July 2016 11:13
You should direct your questions to Muftis in Pakistan.

The respected mufti would need to read the terms and conditions of the contract before commenting.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 30th July 2016 11:45
Rajab wrote:
View original post

Prize bonds are haram according to all Pakistani Ulama while Islamic banking is an ikhtilaafi Masala.
+1 -0
Rank Image
Pakistan
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 30th July 2016 20:36
Assalamu Alaykum,

Islamic banking is permissible. I am currently based AT Darul Uloom, Karachi, for my studies. Daily contact with Hazrat Mufti Taqi Usmani (RA) and Hazrat Mufti Rafi Usmani (RA). If anyone has a valid query, inshaAllah I can take an answer from both of these akaabir.

The best thing is to ask the akaabir directly, and get an answer. Yesterday, Mufti Kamaluddin came to meet and seek mashwara from Hazrat Mufti Taqi Sb (Maddazilluhum), I had a chat with him too ..

Mufti Desai (DB) is extreme in some of his views.
+5 -0Like x 1Winner x 3
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 31st July 2016 00:47
Abu_Bilal wrote:
View original post

Jazakallahu khairan.

Could we have your email address please so that we can send questions directly?

No post ratings
Rank Image
Pakistan
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 31st July 2016 19:07
Maria al-Qibtiyya wrote:
View original post

Can we share our email addresses here?

Or perhaps, MODs can pass it on to anyone interested?
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 31st July 2016 19:19
general email ads, that are open to public is fine, but not personal email ads I'm afraid. forum rules and policies.

let me check please.
Posted via the Muftisays Android App
+3 -0Like x 3
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 31st July 2016 19:23
To all members please adhere to following conditions in regards to benefiting this section, I have also broken rules by replying...

Yasin wrote:
View original post
+3 -0Like x 3