You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
bint e aisha
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2018 01:09
Hello, I am curious as to what Muslims believe about Jesus? What role does Jesus play?
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2018 01:43
Hello

Prophet Jesus peace be upon him is mentioned in the Quran and in the sayings of the Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him. He is referred to as Isa. The Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him was born approximately 500 years after Jesus peace be upon him was on this earth.

Muslims believe Jesus was a Prophet, and that those around his time should have followed him and the revelation given to him i.e the Injeel. The Jews of that time should have also recognized him as a Prophet from God, and accept him and the revelation given to him. Those that followed him and obeyed him in full would have been on the right path and on the right 'religion'. Similarly when the Prophet Muhammad became a Prophet and was given revelation, everyone including the Jews and the Christians should have recognized and accepted Muhammad as a Prophet, and the Quran as a revelation from God, as explained clearly in the Quran itself.

Muslims don't believe Jesus was actually crucified, rather it was made to appear so, and he was raised to the heavens. We believe he is still alive and will return before the day of Judgement, following the laws revealed onto the Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him, and this would be one of the signs of the final hour.

Muslims don't believe that Jesus ever claimed to be God, or the son of God. So Muslims don't accept or believe in the Trinity. Muslims believe God is one, alone with no partners or sons.

Muslims believe in the miraculous birth of Jesus to Maryam, and the story is mentioned in the Quran and one miracle of his is that he spoke as baby. Other miracles are also mentioned. A chapter in the Quran is named after his mother, Maryam peace be upon her. Some details are given leading to the birth of Jesus and his family.

Muslims believe in many of the Prophets present day Christians believe in, and we believe that each Prophet that God sent was rightly guided and it was the duty of the people around a Prophet's time or locality to recognize and accept the Prophet and accept what he teaches to be from God, even if it abrogates or adds to the message from a previous Prophet or revelation.

I am sure others will provide more details.
+4 -0Like x 3
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2018 06:19
Thank you for the thorough response. I do have another question. Why is Muhammad emphasized more than Jesus if Muslims "believe he [Jesus] is still alive and will return before the day of Judgement"?
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2018 09:32
As per the rules of this section, here is some work by scholars with the links to the source.

Question
What do Muslims believe about Jesus (peace be upon him)?

Answer
Muslims respect and revere Jesus (peace be upon him) , and await his second coming. They consider him one of the greatest of Gods messengers to mankind. A Muslim never refers to him simply as `Jesus', but always adds the phrase "peace be upon him." The Quraan confirms his virgin birth (a chapter of the Quraan is entitled `Mary') in her time, and Mary is considered the purest woman in all creation. The Quraan describes the creation of Jesus as follows (interpretation of the meaning): "Behold! the Angel said, `God has chosen you, and purified you, and chosen you above the women of all nations. O Mary, God gives you glad tidings of a word from Him, whose name shall be the Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, honored in this world and the Hereafter, and one that shall speak to the people from his cradle and in maturity, and shall be of the righteous.' She said: `O my Lord! How shall I have a son when no man has touched me?' He said: `Even so; God creates what He wills. When He decrees a thing, He but says to it, "Be!" and it is." (Quraan, Surat (chapter) Aala Imraan, 3:42-7) Jesus (peace be upon him) was born miraculously through the same power which had brought Adam (peace be upon him) into being without a father: "Truly, the likeness of Jesus unto Allaah is as the likeness of Adam. He created him of dust, and then said to him, `Be!' and he was." (3:59) During his prophetic mission, Jesus (peace be upon him) was granted and performed many miracles. The Quraan tells us that he said (interpretation of meaning): "I have come to you with a sign from your Lord: I make for you out of the clay, as it were, the figure of a bird, and breathe into it and it becomes a bird by Allaahs leave. And I heal the blind and the lepers, and I raise the dead by Allaahs leave." (3:49) Other miracles include speaking soon after birth in defense of his mother's piety. God's other gifts to him included healing the blind and the sick, reviving the dead, and, most importantly, the message he was carrying. These miracles were granted to him by God to establish him as a prophet. According to the Quraan, he was not crucified, but only appeared so; instead, Allaah raised him unto Heaven. (Quraan, Chapter Maryam) Neither Muhammad (peace be upon him), nor Jesus (peace be upon him), came to change the basic doctrine of the belief in one God, brought by earlier prophets, but to confirm and renew it. In the Quran Jesus (peace be upon him), is reported as saying that he came: " To attest the law which was before me. And to make lawful to you part of what was forbidden you; I have come to you with a sign form your Lord, so fear God and obey me." (3:50)
islamqa.info/en/answers/502/what-do-muslims-believe-about...
+4 -0Like x 3
Rank Image
London
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2018 09:33
Samantha W wrote:
View original post

Part of a lenghty answer:

We are not here to compare Jesus and Muhammad (peace be upon them both), because in our religion we are forbidden to compare Prophets in order to see who is superior, especially that type of comparison that involves undermining the status of the other, which is what you have done. You could not prove the superiority of Jesus (peace be upon him) over God’s creation except by impugning our Prophet Muhammad (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him). This is not acceptable in our religion, even if the other party is of a lower standing. As for impugning any of the Prophets, any Muslim who does that commits an act of disbelief that puts him beyond the pale of Islam. Our religion preserves the dignity of the Prophets and Messengers, holds them in high esteem and makes believing in all of them one of the pillars of faith; the one who does not believe even in one of the Prophets is not a Muslim. Our religion only speaks well of the Prophets and Messengers. In His holy Book, the Qur’an, Allah, may He be exalted, mentions their worship and praises it, and He mentions their supplication, their fear of Him, their calling their people to faith, enjoining upon them what is right and forbidding to them what is wrong. There is nothing in the Book of Allah, may He be exalted, or in the Sunnah of the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) that speaks ill of any of them; rather, according to both sources, it is obligatory to venerate them and hold them in high esteem.

Comparing and contrasting Jesus and Muhammad (peace be upon them both) is not something to be sought in our religion, and it is not appropriate for you to do that either. The reason is that we are commanded to follow the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) and – before that – to testify that he is the Messenger of Allah, and this has nothing to do with whether he is the best of God’s creation or not. This is not only in our religion; rather every people to whom a messenger was sent by their Lord was instructed to believe in their Messenger and follow him, even if he was not the best of God’s creation. Is it a stipulation that a Prophet should be the best of God’s creation? What would be the situation of previous nations for whom, in one era, a great number of Prophets and Messengers existed? We do not testify that our Prophet Muhammad (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) is the Messenger of Allah because he is the best of God’s creation, and he himself did not say “follow me because I am the best of God’s creation.” Rather we know (about him being the best of God’s creation) because Allah, may He be exalted, has raised him in status. We will quote in support of that a verse, an incident and a hadith.

1.The verse:

This is the verse in which Allah, may He be exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And (remember) when Allah took the Covenant of the Prophets, saying: ‘Take whatever I gave you from the Book and Hikmah (understanding of the Laws of Allah, etc.), and afterwards there will come to you a Messenger (Muhammad (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him)) confirming what is with you; you must, then, believe in him and help him.’ Allah said: ‘Do you agree (to it) and will you take up My Covenant (which I conclude with you)?’ They said: ‘We agree.’ He said: ‘Then bear witness; and I am with you among the witnesses (for this)’”

[Aal ‘Imraan 3:81].

This is a promise and a covenant that Allah, may He be blessed and exalted, took from all the Prophets, that they would believe in Muhammad (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) and that they would support him in his call.
islamqa.info/en/answers/126168/he-believes-that-jesus-is-...
+3 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
London
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2018 09:35
Question
Could you give us a brief description of ‘Eesa (peace be upon him)?

Answer

Praise be to Allaah.

·Maryam the daughter of ‘Imraan was a pious and righteous woman… She strove hard in worship until she had no peer in matters of worship… The angels gave her the glad tidings that Allaah had chosen her:

“And (remember) when the angels said: ‘O Maryam (Mary)! Verily, Allaah has chosen you, purified you (from polytheism and disbelief), and chosen you above the women of the ‘Aalameen (mankind and jinn) (of her lifetime).’

O Maryam! ‘Submit yourself with obedience to your Lord (Allaah, by worshipping none but Him Alone) and prostrate yourself, and bow down along with Ar-Raaki‘oon (those who bow down)’”

[Aal ‘Imraan 3:42-43]

·Then the angels gave Maryam the glad tidings that Allaah would bestow upon her a child, whom He would create with the word “Be! And it is.” This child’s name was the Messiah ‘Eesa ibn Maryam (Jesus son of Mary)… He would be held in honour in this world and in the Hereafter, and he would be a Messenger to the Children of Israel… He would teach the Book and wisdom, and the Tawraat (Torah) and Injeel (Gospel) … And he would have attributes and miracles that no one else would have, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“(Remember) when the angels said: ‘O Maryam (Mary)! Verily, Allaah gives you the glad tidings of a Word [“Be!” — and he was! i.e. ‘Eesa (Jesus) the son of Maryam (Mary)] from Him, his name will be the Messiah ‘Eesa (Jesus), the son of Maryam (Mary), held in honour in this world and in the Hereafter, and will be one of those who are near to Allaah.

He will speak to the people, in the cradle and in manhood, and he will be one of the righteous.’

She said: ‘O my Lord! How shall I have a son when no man has touched me.’ He said: ‘So (it will be) for Allaah creates what He wills. When He has decreed something, He says to it only: “Be!” and it is’” [Aal ‘Imraan 3:45-47]

·Then Allaah tells us the rest of the glad tidings of the angels to Maryam of her son ‘Eesa (peace be upon him), and of the honour of ‘Eesa, and how He would support him with miracles:

“And He (Allaah) will teach him [‘Eesa (Jesus)] the Book and Al-Hikmah (i.e. the Sunnah, the faultless speech of the Prophets, wisdom), (and) the Tawraat (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel).

And will make him [‘Eesa (Jesus)] a Messenger to the Children of Israel (saying): ‘I have come to you with a sign from your Lord, that I design for you out of clay, a figure like that of a bird, and breathe into it, and it becomes a bird by Allaah’s Leave; and I heal him who was born blind, and the leper, and I bring the dead to life by Allaah’s Leave. And I inform you of what you eat, and what you store in your houses. Surely, therein is a sign for you, if you believe.

And I have come confirming that which was before me of the Tawraat (Torah), and to make lawful to you part of what was forbidden to you, and I have come to you with a proof from your Lord. So fear Allaah and obey me.

Truly, Allaah is my Lord and your Lord, so worship Him (Alone). This is the Straight Path’”[Aal ‘Imraan 3:48-51]

·Allaah is absolutely perfect in His powers of Creation. He creates what He wills, how He wills… He created Adam from dust without a father or a mother, and He created Hawwa’ from the rib of Adam from a father but without a mother. He has caused the descendents of Adam to have both a father and a mother, and He created ‘Eesa from his mother without a father… Glory be to the All-Knowing Creator.

·Allaah has explained clearly in the Qur’aan how ‘Eesa was born. He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And mention in the Book (the Qur’aan, O Muhammad, the story of) Maryam (Mary), when she withdrew in seclusion from her family to a place facing east.

She placed a screen (to screen herself) from them; then We sent to her Our Rooh [angel Jibreel (Gabriel)], and he appeared before her in the form of a man in all respects.

She said: ‘Verily, I seek refuge with the Most Gracious (Allaah) from you, if you do fear Allaah.’

(The angel) said: ‘I am only a messenger from your Lord, (to announce) to you the gift of a righteous son.’

She said: ‘How can I have a son, when no man has touched me, nor am I unchaste?’

He said: ‘So (it will be), your Lord said: ‘That is easy for Me (Allaah). And (We wish) to appoint him as a sign to mankind and a mercy from Us (Allaah), and it is a matter (already) decreed (by Allaah)’ ”[Maryam 19:16-21]

·When Jibreel told her that, she submitted to the will and decree of Allaah, and Jibreel breathed into the sleeves of her garment:

“So she conceived him, and she withdrew with him to a far place (i.e. Bethlehem valley about 4-6 miles from Jerusalem).

And the pains of childbirth drove her to the trunk of a date palm. She said: ‘Would that I had died before this, and had been forgotten and out of sight!’”[Maryam 19:22-23]

·Then Allaah provided Maryam with water and food, and commanded her not to speak to anyone:

“Then [the babe ‘Eesa (Jesus) or Jibreel (Gabriel)] cried unto her from below her, saying: ‘Grieve not: your Lord has provided a water stream under you.

And shake the trunk of the date palm towards you, it will let fall fresh ripe dates upon you.

So eat and drink and be glad. And if you see any human being, say: “Verily, I have vowed a fast unto the Most Gracious (Allaah) so I shall not speak to any human being this day”’”[Maryam 19:24-26]

·Then Maryam came to her people, carrying her child ‘Eesa. When they saw her, they thought that she had done a terrible thing and they denounced it, but she did not respond to them. She indicated that they should ask this infant, and he would tell them. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Then she brought him (the baby) to her people, carrying him. They said: ‘O Mary! Indeed you have brought a thing Fariyy (a mighty thing).

O sister (i.e. the like) of Haaroon (Aaron)! Your father was not a man who used to commit adultery, nor your mother was an unchaste woman.’

Then she pointed to him. They said: How can we talk to one who is a child in the cradle?’”[Maryam 19:27-29]

·‘Eesa replied to them straight away, even though he was a child in the cradle:

“He [‘Eesa (Jesus)] said: ‘Verily, I am a slave of Allaah, He has given me the Scripture and made me a Prophet;

And He has made me blessed wheresoever I be, and has enjoined on me Salaah (prayer), and Zakaah, as long as I live.

And dutiful to my mother, and made me not arrogant, unblest.

And Salaam (peace) be upon me the day I was born, and the day I die, and the day I shall be raised alive!’”[Maryam 19:30-33]

This is the information about ‘Eesa ibn Maryam, the slave and Messenger of Allaah. But the People of the Book differed concerning him. Some of them said that he was the son of God, and some said that he was the third of three (“trinity”), and some said that he was God, and some said that he was a slave and Messenger of God. This last view is the correct view. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Such is ‘Eesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary). (It is) a statement of truth, about which they doubt (or dispute).

It befits not (the Majesty of) Allaah that He should beget a son [this refers to the slander of Christians against Allaah, by saying that ‘Eesa (Jesus) is the son of Allaah]. Glorified (and Exalted) be He (above all that they associate with Him). When He decrees a thing, He only says to it: “Be!” and it is.

[‘Eesa (Jesus) said]: ‘And verily, Allaah is my Lord and your Lord. So worship Him (Alone). That is the Straight Path. (Allaah’s religion of Islâmic Monotheism which He did ordain for all of His Prophets).’

Then the sects differed [i.e. the Christians about ‘Eesa (Jesus)], so woe unto the disbelievers [those who gave false witness by saying that ‘Eesa (Jesus) is the son of Allaah] from the Meeting of a great Day (i.e. the Day of Resurrection, when they will be thrown in the blazing Fire)”[Maryam 19:34-38]

·When the Children of Israel deviated from the Straight Path and overstepped the limits set by Allaah, they did wrong and spread corruption on earth, and a group among them denied the resurrection, Reckoning and punishment. They indulged in their desires and in physical pleasures without expecting to be brought to account. At that point, Allaah sent to them ‘Eesa ibn Maryam as a Messenger, and taught him the Tawraat and Injeel as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And He (Allaah) will teach him [‘Eesa (Jesus)] the Book and Al-Hikmah (i.e. the Sunnah, the faultless speech of the Prophets, wisdom), (and) the Tawraat (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel).

And will make him [‘Eesa (Jesus)] a Messenger to the Children of Israel”[Aal ‘Imraan 3:48]

·Allaah revealed to ‘Eesa ibn Maryam the Injeel (Gospel) as guidance and light, confirming that which had come before it in the Tawraat:

“and We gave him the Injeel (Gospel), in which was guidance and light and confirmation of the Tawraat (Torah) that had come before it, a guidance and an admonition for Al-Muttaqoon (the pious)”[al-Maa’idah 5:46 – interpretation of the meaning]

·‘Eesa (peace be upon him) foretold the coming of a Messenger from Allaah after him, whose name would be Ahmad. This is Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And (remember) when ‘Eesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), said: ‘O Children of Israel! I am the Messenger of Allaah unto you, confirming the Tawraat [(Torah) which came] before me, and giving glad tidings of a Messenger to come after me, whose name shall be Ahmad.’ But when he (Ahmad, i.e. Muhammad) came to them with clear proofs, they said: ‘This is plain magic’”[al-Saff 61:6]

·‘Eesa (peace be upon him) called the Children of Israel to worship Allaah alone, and to obey the rulings of the Tawraat and Injeel… He started to dispute with them and to explain the error of their ways. When he saw how stubborn they were and how the signs of disbelief were manifest among them, he stood among his people, saying, Who will be my helpers in the cause of Allaah? The disciples believed in him, and their number was twelve. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Then when ‘Eesa (Jesus) came to know of their disbelief, he said: ‘Who will be my helpers in Allaah’s Cause?’ Al-Hawaariyyoon (the disciples) said: ‘We are the helpers of Allaah; we believe in Allaah, and bear witness that we are Muslims (i.e. we submit to Allaah).’

Our Lord! We believe in what You have sent down, and we follow the Messenger [‘Eesa (Jesus)]; so write us down among those who bear witness (to the truth, i.e. Laa ilaaha illallaah — none has the right to be worshipped but Allaah)”[Aal ‘Imraan 3:52-53]

·Allaah supported ‘Eesa with great miracles which remind us of the power of Allaah, lift the spirit and promote faith in Allaah and in the Last Day. He made something like the shape of a bird from clay, and blew into it, and it became a bird, by Allaah’s leave.He healed the blind and the leper, and brought the death back to life by Allaah’s leave. He told the people what they were eating and what they were storing in their houses. So the Jews to whom Allaah had sent ‘Eesa became hostile towards him and tried to guide the people away from him, so they disbelieved in him and accused his mother of immorality.

·When they saw that the weak and poor believed in him, and were gathering around him, they formed a plot to kill him. So they provoked the Romans against him, and they made the Roman governor think that the call of ‘Eesa contained a threat against (Roman) power. So he (the Roman governor) issued orders that ‘Eesa should be arrested and crucified. But Allaah caused a hypocrite who had betrayed him to the Romans to look like ‘Eesa. The soldiers arrested him, thinking that he was ‘Eesa, and crucified him. But Allaah saved ‘Eesa from the cross and from death, and Allaah tells us about the Jews (interpretation of the meaning):

“And because of their saying (in boast), ‘We killed the Messiah ‘Eesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), the Messenger of Allaah,’ — but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but it appeared so to them the resemblance of ‘Eesa (Jesus) was put over another man (and they killed that man)], and those who differ therein are full of doubts. They have no (certain) knowledge, they follow nothing but conjecture. For surely; they killed him not [i.e. ‘Eesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary)]:

But Allaah raised him [‘Eesa (Jesus)] up (with his body and soul) unto Himself (and he is in the heavens). And Allaah is Ever All Powerful, All Wise”[al-Nisaa’ 4:157-158]

·So Eesa (peace be upon him) did not die, rather Allaah raised him up to Himself, and he will descend before the Day of Resurrection and will follow Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). He will prove the Jews to be wrong in their claim to have killed ‘Eesa and crucified him. And he will prove the Christians to be wrong who exaggerated about him and said that he was God, or the son of God, or the third of three. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “By the One in Whose hand is my soul, the son of Maryam will descend among you as a just judge. He will break the cross, kill the pigs and abolish the jizyah (tax paid my non-Muslims in an Islamic state), and money will become so widespread that there will be no one who will accept it.” (Agreed upon; narrated by Muslim, no. 155).

·When ‘Eesa comes down before the Day of Resurrection, the People of the Book will believe in him, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And there is none of the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) but must believe in him [‘Eesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), as only a Messenger of Allaah and a human being] before his [‘Eesa (Jesus) or a Jew’s or a Christian’s] death (at the time of the appearance of the angel of death). And on the Day of Resurrection, he [‘Eesa (Jesus)] will be a witness against them”

[al-Nisaa’ 4:159]

·‘Eesa ibn Maryam is the slave of Allaah and His Messenger. Allaah sent him to guide the Children of Israel and to call them to worship Allaah alone, as Allaah says to the Jews and Christians (interpretation of the meaning):

“O people of the Scripture (Christians)! Do not exceed the limits in your religion, nor say of Allaah aught but the truth. The Messiah ‘Eesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), was (no more than) a Messenger of Allaah and His Word, (‘Be!’ — and he was) which He bestowed on Maryam (Mary) and a spirit (Rooh) created by Him; so believe in Allaah and His Messengers. Say not: ‘Three (trinity)!’ Cease! (it is) better for you. For Allaah is (the only) One Ilaah (God), glory is to Him (Far Exalted is He) above having a son. To Him belongs all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth. And Allaah is All Sufficient as a Disposer of affairs”[al-Nisaa’ 4:171]

·Saying that ‘Eesa is the son of God is a monstrous saying and a great evil.

“And they say: ‘The Most Gracious (Allaah) has begotten a son (or offspring or children) [as the Jews say: ‘Uzair (Ezra) is the son of Allaah, and the Christians say that He has begotten a son [‘Eesa (Jesus)], and the pagan Arabs say that He has begotten daughters (angels and others)].’

Indeed you have brought forth (said) a terrible evil thing.

Whereby the heavens are almost torn, and the earth is split asunder, and the mountains fall in ruins,

That they ascribe a son (or offspring or children) to the Most Gracious (Allaah).

But it is not suitable for (the Majesty of) the Most Gracious (Allaah) that He should beget a son (or offspring or children).

There is none in the heavens and the earth but comes unto the Most Gracious (Allaah) as a slave[Maryam 19:88-93]

·‘Eesa ibn Maryam is a human being, a slave of Allaah and His Messenger. Whoever believes that the Messiah son of Maryam is God is a disbeliever (kaafir).

“Surely, they have disbelieved who say: Allaah is the Messiah [‘Eesa (Jesus)], son of Maryam (Mary)’”[al-Maa’idah 5:72]

·Whoever says that the Messiah is the son of God or the third of three is also a disbeliever:

“Surely, disbelievers are those who said: ‘Allaah is the third of the three (in a Trinity).” But there is no Ilaah (god) (none who has the right to be worshipped) but One Ilaah (God —Allaah). And if they cease not from what they say, verily, a painful torment will befall on the disbelievers among them”[al-Maa’idah 5:73]

·The Messiah son of Maryam was a human being. He was born from a mother; he ate and drank, got up and went to sleep, suffered pain and wept… and God (Allaah) is far above all of that, so how could he be God? Rather he is the slave of Allaah and His Messenger:

“The Messiah [‘Eesa (Jesus)], son of Maryam (Mary), was no more than a Messenger; many were the Messengers that passed away before him. His mother [Maryam (Mary)] was a Siddeeqah [i.e. she believed in the Words of Allaah and His Books]. They both used to eat food (as any other human being, while Allaah does not eat). Look how We make the Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) clear to them; yet look how they are deluded away (from the truth)”[al-Maa’idah 5:75]

·The Jews, Christians, crusaders and their followers distorted the religion of the Messiah, and deviated and changed it. They said that Allaah sent forth his son the Messiah to be killed and crucified as a sacrifice for mankind – so it doesn’t matter if anyone does whatever he wants, because Jesus will carry all his sins for him… And they spread that belief among all the Christian groups until it became a part of their beliefs. All of this is falsehood and is lies against Allaah, and speaking about Him without knowledge. Rather “every soul will be (held) in pledge for its deeds”. Man’s life cannot be sound or correct unless they have a path to follow and limits at which to stop.

·Look at how they fabricate lies against Allaah, and speak about Allaah with no guidance:

“Then woe to those who write the Book with their own hands and then say, ‘This is from Allaah,’ to purchase with it a little price! Woe to them for what their hands have written and woe to them for that they earn thereby” [al-Baqarah 2:79]

·Allaah has taken from the Christians the pledge that they will follow ‘Eesa and follow that which he brought, but they changed and distorted that; they differed then they turned away. So Allaah will punish them with enmity and hatred in this world, and with torment in the Hereafter, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And from those who call themselves Christians, We took their covenant, but they have abandoned a good part of the Message that was sent to them. So We planted amongst them enmity and hatred till the Day of Resurrection (when they discarded Allaah’s Book, disobeyed Allaah’s Messengers and His Orders and transgressed beyond bounds in Allaah’s disobedience); and Allaah will inform them of what they used to do”[al-Maa’idah 5:14]

·On the Day of Resurrection, ‘Eesa will stand before the Lord of the Worlds, Who will ask him before the witnesses what he said to the Children of Israel, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And (remember) when Allaah will say (on the Day of Resurrection): ‘O ‘Eesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary)! Did you say unto men: “Worship me and my mother as two gods besides Allaah?”’ He will say: ‘Glory be to You! It was not for me to say what I had no right (to say). Had I said such a thing, You would surely have known it. You know what is in my inner-self though I do not know what is in Yours; truly, You, only You, are the All-Knower of all that is hidden (and unseen).

Never did I say to them aught except what You (Allaah) did command me to say: “Worship Allaah, my Lord and your Lord.”’ And I was a witness over them while I dwelt amongst them, but when You took me up, You were the Watcher over them; and You are a Witness to all things. (This is a great admonition and warning to the Christians of the whole world).

If You punish them, they are Your slaves, and if You forgive them, verily, You, only You, are the All Mighty, the All Wise”’

[al-Maa’idah 5:116-118]

·Allaah has created kindness and mercy among the followers of ‘Eesa and the believers. They are closer in friendship to the followers of Muhammad than anyone else, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, you will find the strongest among men in enmity to the believers (Muslims) the Jews and those who are Al-Mushrikoon (polytheists), and you will find the nearest in love to the believers (Muslims) those who say: ‘We are Christians.’ That is because amongst them are priests and monks, and they are not proud”

[al-Maa’idah 5:82]

‘Eesa ibn Maryam was the last of the Prophets sent to the Children of Israel. Then after him Allaah sent Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), from among the descendents of Ismaa’eel, to all of mankind. And he is the last of the Prophets and Messengers.

islamqa.info/en/answers/10277/a-brief-look-at-eesa-jesus-...
+3 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
London
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2018 09:51
Here are some beneficial comparative religion videos by the lat Shaykh Ahmed Deedat.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bxpQlIxPCw Jesus Christ in Christianity and Islam - Ahmed Deedat - YouTube 2hrs 12min
Halalified YT Audio

Many more videos on the topic available with Q&A's (and many debates too)
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2018 09:52
بسم الله الرحمن الرحیم

10 FACTS REGARDING PROPHET ʿĪSĀ (PEACE BE UPON HIM)

(1) He was sent by Almighty Allah as a messenger and prophet, similar to Prophet Ibrāhīm, Prophet Mūsā and other prophets (peace be upon them all).

(2) He is not God or the son of God, rather a human being. Believing in the concept of trinity contradicts the belief of Tawhīd (oneness of Allah) (Qur’ān, 9: 31).

(3) He never claimed to be God or the son of God. He was a beloved servant of Allah and a noble messenger (Qurʾān, 5: 116).

(4) His birth was miraculous as he had no father. His place of birth is not known with certainty although Bethlehem is cited by most Muslim and Christian scholars. There is no evidence that he was born on 25 December.

(5) His mother is Maryam (peace be upon her). She was a devout servant of Allah who dedicated her life to His worship and resided in Masjid al-Aqṣā. She is mentioned in the Qurʾān 34 times by name.

(6) He spoke miraculously as a new born baby emphasising his Prophethood and the importance of prayer, charity and obedience of mothers (Qurʾān, 19: 30-33).

(7) He performed miracles with the will of Almighty Allah, such as healing the blind, curing leprosy and raising the dead alive (Qurʾān, 5: 110).

(8) He was raised to the heavens by Allah after a failed assassination attempt. He was not killed or crucified contrary to Christian belief (Qurʾān, 4: 157). He did not atone for the sins of mankind.

(9) He is alive in the heavens and will descend before the end of time in Damascus (Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim, 2937). He has not descended yet contrary to the claims of Mirzā Gulām Aḥmad Qādiyānī. (Qādiyānīs, also known as Aḥmadīs, are not Muslims according to the consensus of scholars).

(10) He will establish a just and prosperous rule (Ṣaḥīḥ al-Bukhārī, 2222) and follow the teachings of our Prophet ﷺ. He is the only Prophet who has the honour of being a member of our Ummah.

Yusuf Shabbīr

22 á¹¢afar 1437 / 5 December 2015

nawadir.org/2015/12/16/10-facts-regarding-prophet-isa/

www.nawadir.org
+3 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
London
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2018 10:45
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2018 12:32
Jesus was a Muslim and not a Christian.

The term Christian was first used at Antioch (Acts 11:26) and as such, Jesus during his ministry would not have known it and so, would not have identified himself with it. Though the term 'Muslim' is Arabic and therefore, foreign to the tongue of Jesus, it is, nonetheless, a sound and historical nomenclature to describe Jesus' religious ethos-- a belief founded upon absolute trust and subservience to God's Divine Will. Jesus' obedience to his mission that he saw came from God is a stellar example of a person that submits his person and his being to the Divine Prerogative and Will. A simple word for that in the Arabic language is 'Muslim'. Professor and Scholar in residence, at the Pacific School of Religion in Berkley, Mahmoud Ayoub states at a Muslim-Christian Colloquium on March 31, 1989, in Toronto:

"Throughout the trial and subsequent crucifixion Jesus showed himself as an absolute Muslim, that is to say, as one who absolutely submitted his life and his will to the will of God. The Qur'an and earlier scriptures tell us in so many words that God's mercy, sometimes called love,... transcends all our folly and tempers even God's justice, thus making it possible for us to be called children of God." [1]

Though Jesus may not be described as a Muslim in the technical sense, i.e., one that follows the canon of religious instructions brought by the Prophet Muhammad s.a.w., he is, as indicated above, a Muslim in the generic sense of the term, i.e., a person that obeyed and followed God's edicts in his own unique dispensation. Professor of Jewish Studies, Aaron Hughes, who occupies the Philip S. Bernstein Chair of Jewish Studies in the Department of Religion and Classics at the University of Rochester, writes:

According to accounts in later Muslim sources--which include the Quran; the hadith (sayings of Muhammad); the biography of Muhammad; tafsir (commentary). especially on the Quran; and other genres-- the original religion of the Arabian Peninsula, indeed, the original religion of all humanity, was that of islam. The word islam means "to surrender"-- that is, surrender to the will of God. The adjective muslim, deriving from the same root, means "one who surrenders." Arabic, like all Semitic languages, lacks capital letters, so one can theoretically and ostensibly submit to the will of God without being a capital M "Muslim." One this reading, although Muhammad or those who came after him brought capital I "Islam" to the Arabian tribes, islam has always existed-- in some way, shape, or form--in the world. According to this model, everyone from Adam, the first man, to Ibrahim (Abraham), Musa (Moses), Dawud (David), Isa (Jesus), most of the prophets of the Hebrew Bible, and others were muslims. According to the Qur'an 3:67, for instance, Abraham is described in the following terms: "Abraham was not a Jew [yahudi] nor was he a Christian [nasrani]; he submitted his will to God [muslim] and he not add gods to God." The later Islamic tradition interpreted such passages to mean that even though Ibrahim may not have been a Muslim and did not practice Islam in the same way Muslims would after Muhammad, he--like all individuals who submitted his will to God--was nonetheless still a muslim. [2]

Notes:

[1] Block, C. J. (2014). The Qur'an in Christian-Muslim Dialogue: Historical and modern interpretations. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge. pg. 228

[2] Hughes, A. W. (2013). Muslim Identities: An Introduction to Islam. New York: Columbia University Press. pg. 32

Author: Ibn Anwar (Msc, MCollT)

telegra.ph/Jesus-was-a-Muslim-and-not-a-Christian-04-18
+1 -0Like x 1Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2018 15:45
Can you help me understand some statements that were made in this forum?

One statement said:
Muslims don't believe Jesus was actually crucified, rather it was made to appear so.

Another statement said:
He [Jesus] was raised to the heavens by Allah after a failed assassination attempt. He was not killed or crucified contrary to Christian belief (Qurʾān, 4: 157).

Can you help me understand how you would come to the conclusion that Jesus was not crucified?

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2018 16:07
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2018 16:27
Thank you for the video, I will certainly watch it whenever I have the time to. I'm actually wondering if there is a response that anyone can give me at the moment? My question was:

Can you help me understand some statements that were made in this forum?

One statement said:
Muslims don't believe Jesus was actually crucified, rather it was made to appear so.

Another statement said:
He [Jesus] was raised to the heavens by Allah after a failed assassination attempt. He was not killed or crucified contrary to Christian belief (Qurʾān, 4: 157).

Can you help me understand how you would come to the conclusion that Jesus was not crucified?
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2018 16:35
Samantha W wrote:
View original post

The video will help you understand better, nevertheless...

Question
Why is it so difficult for the Muslims to believe that Christ was crucified to erase our sins? Why do they reject the idea of the Crucifixion altogether?.

Answer

Praise be to Allaah.
There is nothing strange about the Muslims rejecting this idea, because the Qur’aan in which they believe and accept what it tells them definitively states that that did not happen, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And because of their saying (in boast), ‘We killed Messiah ‘Eesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), the Messenger of Allaah,’ — but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but it appeared so to them the resemblance of ‘Eesa (Jesus) was put over another man (and they killed that man)], and those who differ therein are full of doubts. They have no (certain) knowledge, they follow nothing but conjecture. For surely; they killed him not [i.e. ‘Eesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary)]”

[al-Nisa’ 4:157]

Rather the problem rests with the Christians for whom the doctrine of the crucifixion and redemption has become a central issue, so much so that the cross is the symbol of their religion.

It is strange that they differ concerning the form of this cross which indicates their confusion about this fabrication.

There are differences between their Gospels and their historians regarding everything that has to do with the story of the crucifixion.

They differ concerning the timing of the Last Supper, which according to them was one of the events in the lead-up to the crucifixion. They differ concerning the traitor who led (the Romans) to Christ – did that happen at least one day before the Last Supper, as narrated by Luke, or during it, after Christ gave him the piece of bread, as narrated by John?

Was Christ the one who carried his cross, as John says, as was customary with one who was going to be crucified, according to Nottingham, or was it Simon of Cyrene, as the other three Gospels state?

They say that two thieves were crucified alongside Christ, one on his right and one on his left, so what was the attitude of these two towards the Messiah who was being crucified, as they claim?

Did the thieves scorn him for being crucified, and say that his Lord had abandoned him and left him to his enemies? Or did only one of them scorn him, and did the other rebuke the one who scorned him?

At what hour did this crucifixion take place – was it in the third hour, as Mark says, or in the sixth as John says?

What happened after the so-called crucifixion?

Mark says that the veil of the Temple was torn from top to bottom. Matthew adds that the earth shook and rocks crumbled, and many of the saints rose from their graves and entered the holy city, appearing to many. Luke says that the sun turned dark, and the veil of the Temple was torn in the middle, and when the centurion saw what had happened, he glorified God and said, “Truly this man was righteous.”

But John does not know anything about all that!

These are not the only weak elements and indications of falseness in the story of the crucifixion, as narrated in the gospels. Rather the one who studies the details of the gospel narratives of this story will, with the least effort, notice the great differences in the details of this story, which are such that it is impossible to believe it all or even any part of it!

How desperate are the failed attempts to fill this gap and conceal the faults of this distorted book. Allaah indeed spoke the truth when He said in His Book which He has preserved (interpretation of the meaning):

“Do they not then consider the Qur’aan carefully? Had it been from other than Allaah, they would surely, have found therein many a contradiction”

[al-Nisa’ 4:82]

Apart from the fact that the gospel accounts are not sound, and their authors themselves admit that they were not revealed to the Messiah in this form, nor were they even written during his lifetime, none of the witnesses were present at the events to which they testify, as Mark says:

“Then everyone deserted him and fled.”

Mark 14:50 – New International Version (NIV)

Because these events were not witnessed by anyone who narrated them, there is a great deal of room for imagination and poetic licence.

We will complete our discussion of the fable of the crucifixion of Christ (peace be upon him) by looking at what the Gospels say about the Messiah’s prediction that he would be saved from death:

On one occasion the Pharisees and chief priests sent the guards to arrest him and he said to them:

“I am with you for only a short time, and then I go to the one who sent me. You will look for me, but you will not find me, and where I am, you cannot come.”

John 7:33-34 – NIV

Elsewhere he says:

“Once more Jesus said to them, ‘I am going away, and you will look for me, and you will die in your sin. Where I go, you cannot come.’

This made the Jews ask, ‘Will he kill himself? Is that why he says, “Where I go, you cannot come”?’

But he continued, ‘You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world.

I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am the one I claim to be, you will indeed die in your sins.’

‘Who are you?’ they asked.

‘Just what I have been claiming all along,’ Jesus replied. ‘I have much to say in judgment of you. But he who sent me is reliable, and what I have heard from him I tell the world.’

They did not understand that he was telling them about his Father.

So Jesus said, ‘When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am the one I claim to be and that I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me.

The one who sent me is with me; he has not left me alone, for I always do what pleases him.’”

John 8:21-29 – NIV

Then at the end he tells them again:

“For I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, 'Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.'”

Matthew 23:39 – NIV, also Luke 13:35

The Messiah, as these texts and others show, was certain that God would never hand him over to his enemies, and would never forsake him.

“But a time is coming, and has come, when you will be scattered, each to his own home. You will leave me all alone. Yet I am not alone, for my Father is with me.

I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

John 16:32-33

Because of that the passers by, and indeed everyone who attended the so-called crucifixion, mocked the Messiah, as the writer of this Gospel says (although that could not have been true):

“Those who passed by hurled insults at him, shaking their heads

and saying, ‘You who are going to destroy the temple and build it in three days, save yourself! Come down from the cross, if you are the Son of God!’

In the same way the chief priests, the teachers of the law and the elders mocked him.

‘He saved others,’ they said, ‘but he can't save himself! He's the King of Israel! Let him come down now from the cross, and we will believe in him.

He trusts in God. Let God rescue him now if he wants him, for he said, “I am the Son of God.”’

In the same way the robbers who were crucified with him also heaped insults on him.”

Matthew 27:39-44 – NIV

But it seems that Jesus’ certainty that God was with him began to waver, according to the distorted Gospel narrative, (although that could not have been true):

“Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, ‘Sit here while I go over there and pray.’

He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he began to be sorrowful and troubled.

Then he said to them, ‘My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me.’

Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, ‘My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.’

Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping.

…
He went away a second time and prayed, ‘My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done.’

When he came back, he again found them sleeping, …

So he left them and went away once more and prayed the third time, sayingthe same thing.

Then he returned to the disciples and said to them, ‘Are you still sleeping and resting? Look, the hour is near, and the Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners’”

Matthew 26:36-45 – NIV

Luke describes the scene and says:

“And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.

When he rose from prayer and went back to the disciples, he found them asleep, exhausted from sorrow.

‘Why are you sleeping?’ he asked them. ‘Get up and pray so that you will not fall into temptation.’”

Luke 22:44-46 – NIV

Because of this mockery of the message of Christ – according to their claims – and because Christ thought that God was with him and would never forsake him, then it follows that the writer who fabricated this dramatic scene would end it with a vision of the despair of the Messiah and his feelings of being abandoned by God – exalted be Allaah far above what the wrongdoers say. The fabricator says:

“From the sixth hour until the ninth hour darkness came over all the land.

About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, ‘Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?’--which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

Matthew 27:38-47 – NIV

See also Mark 15:34

If we understand what this story means when subjected to criticism, the same will apply to the doctrine of redemption and sacrifice that is based on it.

And Allaah is the Source of strength and the guide to the Straight Path, and there is no Lord but He.

islamqa.info/en/answers/12615/discussion-with-a-christian...

+3 -0Like x 3
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2018 16:53
Can you clear something up for me? In the comment above it says:

"but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but it appeared so to them the resemblance of ‘Eesa (Jesus) was put over another man (and they killed that man)]."

Can you explain to me how an entire crowd of people at the crucifixion event could have been deceived about whether it was Jesus who was being crucified?
No post ratings