Topic Appreciation
Taalibah, abu mohammed
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#16 [Permalink] Posted on 18th June 2014 18:28
the fake shaykh wrote:
View original post

I'm sorry I'm unable to view br.muadhs chosen post quoted in your post...if it's the one mentioning the frozen and non-frozen products...I would leave it out. We don't know exactly how many jus-rol products are on the market, and which ones are with or without alcohol.

It's sufficient to warn ppl that there's a mixture of both in the market, mainly to create awareness that this would stand for any suitable for vegetarians product. I once bought a bottle of marinade because it had suitable for vegetarians on it, when I bought it home i found that it had red wine in the ingredients...because of this mistake I'd become more aware of alcohol in suitable for veg products...which is the main point I feel that should be emphasized.

report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#17 [Permalink] Posted on 18th June 2014 18:38
Yes thats the one

Problem is after ive sent out emails/Tx i will get bombarded with more questions "what about this one and that one. ..."

That's why I thought a detailed list would be better.

I once made most of my family and friends up and down the UK throw away their soy sauce bottles, only later on I sent the question to mufti Abdullah of foodguide and was told the soy sauce was permissable, im still getting the backlash after that episode and don't want a repeat of that especially when you know the year long supplies that our gujarati women have in stock

+4 -0Like x 3Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#18 [Permalink] Posted on 18th June 2014 18:41
the fake shaykh wrote:
View original post

Yes women tend to use a lot of soya sauce. Especially when cooking to feed the menfolk, seems like Gujarati menfolk like their food with a lot of soya sauce. Mashaallah.
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#19 [Permalink] Posted on 18th June 2014 19:08
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#20 [Permalink] Posted on 18th June 2014 19:13
Daywalk3r wrote:
View original post

Brother how did you find out the percentage?
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#21 [Permalink] Posted on 18th June 2014 19:17
from the OP.
+2 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#22 [Permalink] Posted on 18th June 2014 19:27
It has stated 1% alcohol only for the puff pastry not the other products in the range...

Quote:
Please be advised that the minimal quantity of alcohol in the Jus Rol Chilled Puff Sheet is added to the dough to maintain the shelf-life of the product. We would like to assure you that the percentage of alcohol present in this product is very low (approximately 1%)

The supermarket own brands of pastry aren't any different, but without the alcohol, so there are alternatives available if there is doubt.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#23 [Permalink] Posted on 18th June 2014 19:28
The OP is clear with its percentage, yet the Fatwa is even clearer.

Food guide are known to allow alcohol which evaporates and of course certain types. But in this case they haven't allowed it, so it's safer to stay away from ALL simply because the ingredients change according to seasons.

Jus Rol have also said to keep am eye on it...

Alhumdulillah, I thought this thread would be beneficial at this time of the year, Muslims buy this stuff in bulk and you'd never think it would be haram.

Also really pleased that the company actually put alcohol in the listing, they could've just used fancy words and hardly anyone would've looked into it.
+3 -0Like x 1Winner x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#24 [Permalink] Posted on 18th June 2014 19:33
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

It would be helpful to know why they havent allowed it in this particular case.

+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#25 [Permalink] Posted on 18th June 2014 19:38
Agree.

Maybe that 1% is too close to 1%

Also the reason why it's added. From what I've read over the years, alcohol is used to keep things fresh and it evaporates as soon as the pack is opened.

Allahu alum.
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#26 [Permalink] Posted on 18th June 2014 19:40
Im still dazed.. if the 1% ethanol mainly evaporates during cooking i thought that would permissible ??

in the articles www.foodguide.org.uk/?page=viewquestion&id=200 "This verdict applies to alcoholic flavourings only (based on need and necessity and common predicament) and not where alcohol is added as an ingredient in a product. In that case, regardless what the source of the alcohol is, it is not permissible."

whats the difference between a flavoring and an ingredient?? surely both still end up in the final product to be consumed??
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#27 [Permalink] Posted on 18th June 2014 19:49
I could be wrong but when cooking these croissants I've been told they give off a very strong alcohol smell. Which you don't normally get with alcohol/ethanol based products....and I'm not sure if there is a difference between ethanol based and alcohol.

Why would same brand write ethanol on one product and alcohol on another...no idea on that one.

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#28 [Permalink] Posted on 18th June 2014 19:52
Think about it.

1%

How much alcohol is in the drinks?

Plus, how many samosa's do we eat in ramadhan? Plenty to get one drunk :)

Just a thought.
+2 -0Creative x 2
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#29 [Permalink] Posted on 18th June 2014 20:05

Daywalk3r wrote:
View original post

Shaykh (Mufti) Abdullah Patel (HA) agrees with the ethanol usage scenario so there could be two possible reasons as follows:

1. The Ulama have given leeway when Ethanol is used a carrier (as a solvent), this is actually DIRECTLY added!

2. The carrier content is usually in PPM (parts per million) while this is massive 1%, beer has 4%-5% Alcohol by volume (just to give you comparison)

Taalibah wrote:
View original post

Frozen one has NO Alcohol and that's what we have always used at home (after checking the label anyways). There is no reason to use Alcohol as a preservative in a frozen product.

+3 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#30 [Permalink] Posted on 18th June 2014 20:09
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

Don't think it's about whether the 1% is enough to get you drunk, it's an impure substance, the rulings been given on when the ingredient is permissible at bare minimum and under certain changes.

(post edited, my apologies to all, never thought I'd get so sensitive over puff pastry)
+2 -0Like x 1Creative x 1

Quick Reply

CAPTCHA - As you are a guest, you are required to answer the following:

In the above image: What colour is the text 'Remote' written in?