Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
Seifeddine-M, Yasin, abu mohammed, Taalibah
1 guest appreciates this topic.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#46 [Permalink] Posted on 8th November 2013 18:17
That's sad, had two hand reared cockatiels, I clipped there wings for there own safety, wouldve been horrified if they got hurt in anyway, especially by a cat.

Totally against caging free animals, but these were hand reared and wouldnt have survived any other way, they were free to fly around but preferred human company so would just fly up onto the shoulder and stay there. Yes we've been a bit of a homeless shelter for, cats, birds, and people. Lovely experience (alhamd) Allah accept.
report post quote code quick quote reply
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#47 [Permalink] Posted on 8th November 2013 18:21
Masha'Allah sister :) that's beautiful. Just don't let them out in the yard (at least not unsupervised)... cats do what they do and birds need to do what they do but can't, so... yeah, not a good idea.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#48 [Permalink] Posted on 8th November 2013 18:39
We had them for three years but once the owner had space for them we gave them back :-(

He was an obsessive breeder who got into trouble with the law, he had turned his house into a bird sanctuary, all free to fly around.

one sunny day I decided to put the cage in the garden, near to the kitchen door, not out of sight, whilst I was busy in the kitchen, around 30 minutes later they started making a lot of calling noises, so I thought it was just them adapting to a new environment, as I looked across the garden I saw about five cats a couple on a shed the others on the garden fence, and I carried on with my work even joking how the garden looked like wildlife.

It's not until moments later it clicked that the cats were there for the birds, oh well they were soon back in the house. Can you believe, I didn't register the connection!
+2 -0Like x 1Bad Spelling x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#49 [Permalink] Posted on 8th November 2013 18:44
Alhamdulillah! Disaster averted :) though they were in a cage so that is good.
+1 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#50 [Permalink] Posted on 8th November 2013 18:50
Dawned on me later if the cats came any closer the birds would've panicked and fluttered around in the cage, damaging their wings, once a bird bleeds it can be difficult to stop, and wings are difficult to repair. Same if the cats had tipped the cage over to try get to the birds, but Alhumdulillah, as you say disaster averted :-)
+2 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#51 [Permalink] Posted on 9th November 2013 10:15
السلام عليكم

What about cats that keeping having babies, how do you guys deal with that ?

I know vets recommend that you put a block on it, but that seems kind of cruel and inhumane, but if they're having kittens and about 5 of them every 4 months whats the best way to go about things ?

Also I don't think we've reached a consensus yet in this thread about the halal food for cats.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#52 [Permalink] Posted on 9th November 2013 11:58
Quote:
Also I don't think we've reached a consensus yet in this thread about the halal food for cats.

www.muftisays.com/forums/82-the-food-section/6524-halal-p...

We as responsible people cant purchase Haram food for the pets, but the pets can eat what they find, regardless of it being Halal or Haram.

The rule applies to us and not the pets. Hence we cant "buy" Haram feed.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#53 [Permalink] Posted on 9th November 2013 12:03
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

Have any other mufti's passed a fatwa on this akhii ?

What about rabbit food is that haraam as well ?
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#54 [Permalink] Posted on 9th November 2013 12:06
I believe the first page has plenty of answers, I don't have a pet!

Rabbit food is fruit and veg, why would that be haram?
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#55 [Permalink] Posted on 9th November 2013 12:08
All these food talk is making me hungry... :/

@Taalibah.
Bird Sanctuary not Bird century.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#56 [Permalink] Posted on 9th November 2013 12:14
umar123 wrote:
View original post

Jazakallah, I was looking for the correct word, but it wouldnt come to mind, Jazakallah for the correction.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#57 [Permalink] Posted on 9th November 2013 12:56
Jinn wrote:
View original post

Our cat was already spayed by the time we got her so we haven't dealt with any kittens, nor have we with any of our previous cats (they were all rescues who had already been spayed or neutered). We took over her care from a family who could no longer care for her. She was at least 5 at the time we took over her care. Her previous family got her from the humane society and prior to that, no one knows who she belonged to as she was found on the street by the City pound and no one stepped forward to claim her.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#58 [Permalink] Posted on 30th January 2019 12:40
I had already read that the shafis are allowed to feed animals non halal food, and there was also leeway for them to buy such food.

This is from Mufti Ebrahim Desai's student:

January 21, 2019
Question:

Is it permissible to purchase pet food and feed it to my pet cat?

Answer:

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Animal by-products are used in pet foods as a source of protein and other nutrients. Regarding its ruling (i.e. purchasing and feeding), please read below.

If an animal (permissible for consumption) was slaughtered according to the laws of Shariah the meat will be both Tahir (ritually clean) and Halal (permissible for consumption). If however, it was not slaughtered according to the laws of Shariah, its meat will still be regarded as Tahir even though Haram for consumption with the condition that the blood flowed.

If any animal (with the exception of the swine) was slaughtered in a manner which causes the blood to flow, its meat will only be regarded as Tahir (ritually clean)

Therefore, the meat of an animal can be Tahir irrespective of the type animal (with the exception of the swine) if slaughtered causing the blood to flow.

Furthermore, many of our Jurists have stated that Tasmiyah is not a condition for the meat to be Tahir nor is it a condition that the slaughterer be a Muslim, Jew or Christian. Rather these are conditions for the meat to be Halal.[1]

The Hanafi Jurists have stated that it is permissible to feed Haram meat which is Tahir to animals whose meat is impermissible to consume e.g. dogs, cats etc.

Yes, it is stated in the books of Hanafi Fiqh that it is not permissible to feed carrions (Maitah) to even animals whose meat is not permissible to eat e.g. dogs etc. However, the maitah in reference is that maitah which was not slaughtered, causing the blood to flow. It is stated in al-Fatawa al-Hindiya;

لا يجوز الانتفاع بالميتة على أي وجه، ولا يطعمها الكلاب والجوارح [2]

It is not permissible to seek benefit from maitah (carrion) under any circumstances and it is not permissible that it (maitah) be fed to dogs and beast of prey.

In another place it is mentioned;

رجل ذبح كلبه أو حماره جاز أن يطعم سنوره من ذلك وليس له أن يطعمه خنزيره أو شيئا من الميتة [3]

A man slaughters his dog or donkey, it is permissible for him to feed it to his cat. It is however, not permissible for him to feed it [his cat] the meat of swine or any part of a maitah.

The meat of the slaughtered donkey or dog is totally Haram however due to the fact that it is ritually clean (Tahir) it is permissible to feed it to animals (whose meat is not eaten).

Therefore, the maitah which is regarded as Najis (ritually impure) and hence not permitted to be fed to animals is that maitah which was not slaughtered.[4]

Furthermore, it is also permissible to buy and sell the meat of all slaughtered animals (with the exception of swine). The slaughtering will make it Tahir and consequently making it permissible to be fed to animals whose meat is not eaten.[5]

If the maitah was not slaughtered it will not be permissible to feed it to the dogs, cat as it would be Najis (impure). It can however, be thrown where the dogs can get it.

If however, the maitah is Najis in that it was not slaughtered (or according to those jurists who state that slaughtering does not purify),then if it is mixed with contents which are Tahir and the Tahir contents dominates the Najis content it will be permissible to feed it to the dogs and cats.

In conclusion, if the pet food contains the meat of carrions (died through un-Islamic slaughtering), it will still be permissible for a person to purchase it and feed it to his cat or dog as the meat is clean.

Similarly, if the pet food contains impure ingredients e.g. carrions, (died without being slaughtered), blood etc. it will also be permissible to buy and feed provided that the clean ingredients are greater in proportion to the impure ingredients. [6]

NB: If the impure ingredients were from the swine or any part thereof then it’s trading and feeding will be strictly prohibited.

Mufti Kaleem Muhammad

Darul Iftaa, Jaamia Madinatul Uloom (Trinidad)

www.fatwa-tt.com /www.jaamia.net
+2 -0
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#59 [Permalink] Posted on 30th January 2019 12:44
+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#60 [Permalink] Posted on 5th February 2019 13:42
Where were these fatwas when I had a cat

See link for details

islamicportal.co.uk/selling-pet-food/

Selling pet food

Question

Is it permissible to sell pet food when it could contain Haram ingredients such as meat of animals not slaughtered according to Islamic requirements?

بسم الله الرحمن الرحیم

Answer

It is permissible to sell pet food that contains Haram ingredients such as Haram meat even if it is of non-Halal animals such as a donkey, as long as it does not contain pork or carrion (dead animal that was not slaughtered).
No post ratings

Quick Reply

CAPTCHA - As you are a guest, you are required to answer the following:

In the above image: What's behind the word Yellow? (it's not the sun)