Topic Poll

Please vote to view the results or click here to see results
Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
Seifeddine-M, Yasin, abu mohammed, Taalibah
1 guest appreciates this topic.
#31 [Permalink] Posted on 13th March 2012 11:11
Assalamu alakum

we must look at the bigger picture. if you feeding your cat haram and then the cat walks around you house and licks your finger or a place where you do salah or any thing then that place will be impure.

from fiqh if any body who eat or drinks haram and then drink water. The water becomes impure
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#32 [Permalink] Posted on 13th March 2012 11:24
Interesting Point.

However

Quote:
Imam Muhammad ibn al-Hasan رضي الله عنه said, 'Imam Abu Hanifa رضي الله عنه informed us from Hammad رضي الله عنه that Ibrahim رضي الله عنه said concerning a cat which drinks from a vessel, 'It is a member of the household and there is no harm in drinking what it leaves,' and so I (Hammad) asked him, 'Does one use what it leaves over in purification for the prayer?' He said, 'Allah has made water ilicit, but He has not commanded nor forbidden [the use of water left over by a cat].'

Imam Muhammad رضي الله عنه said, 'Imam Abu Hanifa رضي الله عنه said, 'Something other than it would be preferable to me, but if one does perform wudu with it, that is valid, and if one drinks of it, there is no harm.'' Muhammad رضي الله عنه said, 'We adhere to the verdict of Imam Abu Hanifa رضي الله عنه.'

Kitab al-Athar of Imam Abu Hanifa

www.muftisays.com/forums/the-true-salaf-as-saliheen/6302/...
No post ratings
#33 [Permalink] Posted on 13th March 2012 11:46
but if the cat has any sign of haram eg blood due to killing a mouse the water will be impure.. so if we knowing and feeding cat haram there is a chance of left over food on the cats mouth
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#34 [Permalink] Posted on 13th March 2012 11:54
Akhi, I dont have a Cat or any other pet.

Have you ever been to Makkah. They have cats all over the place inside the Masjid. Of course they dont eat Haram meat, but they do go for the mice, its natural. Its best we leave it to the scholars as sometimes our intellect doesn't allow us to understand the reasons.

I was simply seeking more info regarding it.
+1 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Qatar, Doha
Brother
#35 [Permalink] Posted on 1st March 2013 18:03

"Yasin" wrote:
I emailed them with two simple questions, let me see if there's a reply and I'll post it here. Otherwise I'll post my email and consider their reply to be "No Comment" which speaks volumes

any response?

If not can you resend the email and ask if they've tested the cat food for horse meats and pig DNA?

No post ratings
UK
Brother
#36 [Permalink] Posted on 1st March 2013 18:42
No response: www.muftisays.com/forums/82-the-food-section/6524-halal-p...

Please note everyone: The issue here is not about feeding, it's about "buying" Haram meat. Amongst Muslims in the past, this was not an issue as all the meet was slaughtered mainly locally, surrounding farms. Now it's coming from overseas, there's mechanical slaughtering and many other things.

So it's about buying Haram meat... No Muslim should be okay with that and I'm certain no one is happy, content or okay with buying Haram meat for any purpose inshaAllah.
No post ratings
Rank Image
U.S.
Brother
#37 [Permalink] Posted on 3rd March 2013 13:57
The masalah has nothing to do with the animal eating food which is haram for a human. It isn't Mukallaf - ordered to obey laws- thus the laws of halal and haram don't apply to it.

The masalah is based on whether it is permissible to feed someone or something, haraam food.
As eating haram meat is not permissible, thus feeding haraam meat to anyone or anything would also be forbidden.
Yes, if you leave the meat lying somewhere, then the animal eats it - ie. u never fed it, but rather it found the food itself and ate it- then it is permissible.

And Allah Ta'ala knows best

Mufti Husain
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#38 [Permalink] Posted on 8th November 2013 11:47

Fiqh aside, the taste of Haram and Halal meat is different so the cat can obviously tell the difference because it is more sensitive to taste.

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#39 [Permalink] Posted on 8th November 2013 15:04
There are plenty of cats that eat 'haram' food and don't seem to care if it is halal or haram. They smell it and if it is not past their internal best-before date sensor, they go for it. I do find that cats definitely prefer 'wet' foods over dry kibble. But... if we feed them at home, it is important to include dry kibble to keep their teeth in good shape too.

Cat-lovers, we are responsible for their proper care and unless they derive all their nutritional needs from prey they've caught, I would caution you not to simply feed chunks of meat or leftovers. Cats have a very delicate system and should not be fed certain things like garlic and onions. Also, they require a number of things that aren't readily available in what we eat but are available in, say, a whole mouse. The bones, the stomach contents, the liver, the heart, the intestines, the brain, the skin. They'll take what their system needs and will leave the rest. Additionally, the nutritional value of a live kill may be higher than a processed pre-packaged meal because it is fresher and it hasn't lost any nutrients as would be the case during processing.

Unless you want to work like a chemist and mix the proper ingredients together yourself, then take care with this point.

Now, we don't have halal pet foods in Canada (as far as I know), so our choices are limited to: (1) pet foods that have only fish as the source of protein (Acana and Orijen are really good and are 6-fix formulas). That said, we need to be careful with a fish-only diet and monitor our cats for any health issues as a fish-only pre-packaged diet seems to cause some issues in some cats. (2) preparing foods at home which require a lot of homework and work on our part.
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#40 [Permalink] Posted on 8th November 2013 15:49

Acacia wrote:
View original post

Sister,

There is a certain difference between the taste of Dhabiha and Non-Dhabiha meat which can be detected by the human tongue. Two questions remain to be answered:

1. Is the cat's tongue more sensitive then the human tongue?
  2. Is it possible for the cat to get used to a certain taste and then persistently ask for it?

What is your take on it?

No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#41 [Permalink] Posted on 8th November 2013 15:49

Acacia wrote:
View original post

Sister,

There is a certain difference between the taste of Dhabiha and Non-Dhabiha meat which can be detected by the human tongue. Two questions remain to be answered:

1. Is the cat's tongue more sensitive then the human tongue?
  2. Is it possible for the cat to get used to a certain taste and then persistently ask for it?

What is your take on it?

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#42 [Permalink] Posted on 8th November 2013 16:27
Yes, I definitely have noticed the difference between the two when I switched from non-dhabiha to dhabiha alhamdulillah; and people who've eaten at my home have commented on the taste of the meat too, alhamdulillah.

I have never tried to offer my cat both to see which she would prefer of the two. That said, I was feeding my cat a diet consisting of Acana or Orijen 6-fish formula kibble as well as canned BFF fish formula 'wet' food - presumably, these would be considered 'halal'. Unfortunately, she developed some health issues and, out of concern, I switched her kibble to a (non-halaal?) chicken formula (no pork) - Great Life. She is older and needs kibble to keep her teeth healthy. Much to my surprise, as I indicated elsewhere on the forum, she caught mice this year but... she doesn't eat them and I think she'd have a really tough time ripping into them with 2 missing lower incisors.

Anyhow, when I switched her to the Great Life formula I thought it would be tough for her and perhaps she wouldn't want to eat it because she has been quite picky about her 'wet' food, but, to my surprise, she actually liked it! She eats it with such voracity that it was quite apparent that she likes it.

I also added food-grade Diatomaceous earth to her wet-food for a while and she never turned her food away - ate it with the same enthusiasm as always. I had asked for a ruling about DE (food grade) but never received one so I don't know if it would be considered 'halaal'. I was also advised to try apple-cider vinegar for the same benefit (as a de-wormer and for overall health) which I did but it was not well received by our cat at all and was quite torturous for her so I abandoned those efforts and stuck to the DE.

These changes to her diet helped improve her physically, though she is older so some degree of deterioration is to be expected.

Now, I am toying with the idea of preparing her food at home using dhabiha ingredients. If I do this, I will switch her back to the fish formula kibble so she has something crunchy to keep her teeth clean and healthy, and any 'mistake' I make with all the stuff that needs to go into her 'wet' food will insha'Allah be corrected through the kibble formula... I just don't know if she'll go for what I prepare because she is really picky about her 'wet' food.

Sorry for the long-winded reply and please, no hating on this sinner for switching to non-halaal cat food recently.
+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#43 [Permalink] Posted on 8th November 2013 16:32
BTW cats hide physical illness really well - important for their survival. So, if you're actually starting to notice something wrong, then you can be pretty sure that whatever it is has been going on for a long time and is probably in a worse state at that point.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#44 [Permalink] Posted on 8th November 2013 16:47
Not all cats eat mice, they like the thrill of the kill, think it's there hunting instincts kicking in. Feral cats tend to eat mice, but not so much domesticated cats.

Cats play hunting games with mice, until theyve killed it, then bring it back to the owners as a gift. (A bit like playing with your food)

Some cat owners find gifts of whole or bits of birds, mice, etc, on the doorstep, how nice :-)
+1 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#45 [Permalink] Posted on 8th November 2013 17:00
Yep, I know all about the gift-giving of cats :) Here's a story insha'Allah: As a teen, I worked as a babysitter for a lady and her cat would often bring home large insects and such which were mildly gross but meh, not my problem! I'd just leave it be. Then, one day the cat came to the door dragging a white dove! I opened the door in surprise and watched it haul the kill upstairs (she would deposit gifts under the woman's bed as a gift to her). No more than 5 minutes later the doorbell rang. At the door was a woman who was crying hysterically and two younger women were trying to console her. They asked if a white bird was brought and I said "yes, it is upstairs under the master-bed." I moved aside, allowing the hysterical woman to rush upstairs and come back down in anger vowing to sue! It turns out the dove was the woman's beloved pet but stupidly, she clipped its wings so it couldn't fly but left it in the yard so it could get fresh-air!!! Doh! Sorry, its just poor thinking on her part though her intention was good. Anyway, I don't know if she actually ended up suing the woman and I doubt any lawyer would help her with that one. Live and learn. Poor bird; and poor cat, after all that effort her gift was taken away :)
No post ratings

Quick Reply

CAPTCHA - As you are a guest, you are required to answer the following:

In the above image: What shape is the red shape ('round' is not a shape)?