Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Why I found a HMC Restaurant to be Haram! (my opinion)

Jump to page:

You have contributed 19.6% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
super-glue, Taqwah, queenie, sweetmuslimahk1, rizmalek, abu mohammed, Seifeddine-M, Yasin, Muadh_Khan, member2, Taalibah
6 guests appreciate this topic.
Rank Image
London
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 19th April 2011 14:42

Have you ever been to a restaurant and found that the food is not Halal even when they claim it is?

Well in this case, that was not the case. Alhumdulillah.

The Restaurant was HMC certified so we went in for a meal. The food was great, Afghan food, first time for every thing i guess.

Why did I get put off?

Why did I think it was not right to eat there?

Any Ideas?

report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 19th April 2011 15:37

"abu mohammed" wrote:

Have you ever been to a restaurant and found that the food is not Halal even when they claim it is?

Well in this case, that was not the case. Alhumdulillah.

The Restaurant was HMC certified so we went in for a meal. The food was great, Afghan food, first time for every thing i guess.

Why did I get put off?

Why did I think it was not right to eat there?

Any Ideas?

Asslamo Allaikum,

In my opinion HMC is a good idea and bad idea at the same time.

In Islam we are supposed to trust “a practising Muslim” so in the past we as Muslims used to go to a place and look at the individual and the environment and make a judgement call.

Now, we look for the label.

So we have Takeaways where the owner has no Sunnah, does not pray, has music blasting and we eat there after “looking at the label”.

In other words, “Taqwa of the owner” has been taken out of the equation which is a bad thing. I already know of places who are mixing HMC meat with Non-HMC meat because Takeaways and Restaurants always need meat on an urgent basis so its standard practise to get meat (specially on Friday nights etc.) from whatever source you can and this may not always be HMC.

So HMC is a solution and may Allah (SWT) reward those who are behind it.

A better solution is the Australian model which is that in Australia “Dhabiha” is defined and codified in the Law so meat which is labelled “Dhabiha” is protected by law and if someone breaks that trust he/she goes to PRISON!

In UK if someone mixes Halal/Haram or HMC/Non-HMC there is not much legally which can be done!

Second problem is the HMC business model:

1. HMC certify meat at the abattoir/slaughter house, although they have no training program for slaughter men
  2. HMC then certify the SAME MEAT at the wholesaler
  3. HMC then certify the SAME MEAT at the retailer
  4. HMC then certify the SAME MEAT at the Takeaway/Restaurant

I as a consumer is paying 4 times for the certification process.

Maulana Yunus Saheb (HA) says that this is the ONLY way to ensure “Halal Status” throughout the whole chain. This is not working because people are obviously mixing HMC/NON-HMC meat and since "Taqwa" is out of the equation, HMC don't have a big enough STICK to beat people with!

On HMC site there are those who violate the rules and get their certification REVOKED and then? Nothing happens because these people remain in business and keep on selling...

Surely a simper mechanism is to:

1. Have a comprehsenive training and certification program for those who are slaughtering
  2. Monitor the abattoir/slaughter house and ensure that the process is being adhered to
  3. Work on enshrining the "Dhabiha" process in UK Law and ensure that it becomes a criminal offense to lie and decieve people

HMC need a STICK!

+4 -0Like x 4
Rank Image
London
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 19th April 2011 16:34
HMC is great.

But.

What they need to do is also have a certified label for the restaurant it self not just the meat.

Spot on brother Muadh.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 19th April 2011 16:37
The restuarant I went to served nice food. But the Music put me off, I'm glad the volume was very low.

The WORST part of my experiance was.... Can any one guess.
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 19th April 2011 16:57

"abu mohammed" wrote:
HMC is great. But. What they need to do is also have a certified label for the restaurant it self not just the meat. Spot on brother Muadh.

Spot on Guv'.

The entire experience needs to be "Halal"

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 19th April 2011 17:06

"Muadh_Khan" wrote:

Exactly my point.

Can you guess what my main reason was. (We have discussed this reason before, this time it was difficult, we even changed tables)

No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 19th April 2011 17:29

"abu mohammed" wrote:

"Muadh_Khan" wrote:

Exactly my point.

Can you guess what my main reason was. (We have discussed this reason before, this time it was difficult, we even changed tables)

I don't know I am not very good at guessing; that's a woman's thing usually : -)

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 19th April 2011 17:45
The uniform of this place was a shirt, trousers and a traditional waist coat from their country.
I liked the food so much, but I can't even recommend anyone going there because of this fitna. I haven't even told anyone where this place is.

Another hint, I can't even tell my wife the exact reason why we won't be going back. And she trusts me and has faith in me more than she could trust herself.

I'm usually good with this fitna, but, "man alive!!!!"
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 19th April 2011 19:51
OK I'm getting a bit side tracked with this issue. But the the point is a HMC certified restaurant is not always halal.

The men working there dont have beards. Shaving the beard is Haram.

The men wear their trousers way below their ankles. This is not allowed.

There is always Music in the background. Music is Haram.

There are women waitresses dressed in mens clothes, This is Haram.

The women dont cover their Hair at all and are serving the men and taking orders, This is Haram.

Forget the veil.

There are no facilities for Salah for the customer or the staff. I had to pray Maghrib in my car!

The female workers (in my opinion, get hired for their looks). This was a major fitna. The waitress who served us was j=hijab less, in mens clothes and was looking.....

HMC Certified meat is great, but I dont think the stickers should be put on the window restaurants, because nothing in the restaurant is Halal except the meat, rice, bread, drinks etc.. and the money I paid my food with.

HMC or someone else needs to relook their certification. Maybe the stickers should say "Only the Meat is Halal, not the Rest"

A local Dixy (eg) would be okay, as they only serve food as a takeaway and not have the other Haram stuff. Oh but the beard and Isbaal remains.
No post ratings
UK
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 19th April 2011 20:45
Tweeted
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 19th April 2011 20:56
Whats this tweeted business, can someone easily explain it to me please.

I will not start tweeting no matter what (InshaAllah), but you never know.

No post ratings
UK
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 19th April 2011 22:25
abu mohammed wrote:
Whats this tweeted business, can someone easily explain it to me please.

I will not start tweeting no matter what (InshaAllah), but you never know.

Tweets are a very fast way of sharing information such as links etc. Compared to other similar sites, twitter is nothing more than sharing information which is why I found it useful to add a Muftisays account on twiiter. I don't think individuals need it to be honest but celebrities, sportsmen etc use it. Main reason I wanted to integrate it is because their entire system is Halaal. Even the logo on buttons etc doesn't have eyes. Basically, when I find something others would find interesting enough to visit the site, I tweet it under www.twitter.com/muftisays . Others can tweet what they like from the forum and blog (currently).

Enough about twitter, the points made in this topic are very true, sad and important. Unfortunately, Muslim owned restaurants are more Fitnah oriented than non-Muslim restaurant. One restaurant in Ilford had a female singer (probably danced too) but we walked out and had chicken n chips from somewhere else which we honestly enjoyed more. We left because they refused to turn the music off and the woman was clearly embarassed and sat a corner. I know this because when we left, she got up to perform her dark arts.

The policy mentioned above that HMC should introduce is a policy we've had on this site since day one. We don't allow sites that advertise anything remotely Haraam or even Islamic sites that might be dodgy. However, when it comes to eating (the purpose of a restaurant), then HMC rightly only monitor the meat. The rest should be in the hands of the Muslims who should simply not eat in because of this. So realistically, not only is it difficult to monitor the activities along with the meat, it's also not the responsibilty of a private non-profit organisation to class restaurants based on Fitnah. That should be the responsibilty of the MUSLIM.

Man I hate restaurants. I really do. The prices don't help either.
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 20th April 2011 11:04

Asslamo Allaikum,

I feel very uncomfortable in "Muslim Resturants" and always have, so if we have to we get the food and eat at home.

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 20th April 2011 11:09

I saw an advert once. The restuarant was boasting about it being HMC with seperate family sections and a segregated area, it all looked good and sounded great, then they topped it with "Every table has its own Ipod docking station so you can play your own Music".

Icing on the cake.

No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 20th April 2011 11:51

"abu mohammed" wrote:

I saw an advert once. The restuarant was boasting about it being HMC with seperate family sections and a segregated area, it all looked good and sounded great, then they topped it with "Every table has its own Ipod docking station so you can play your own Music".

Icing on the cake.

Pubs sell "Halal Meat" because it tastes nicer and many Non-Muslims eat it. I have been told by a Non-Muslim at work that their local pub (in Yorkshire) procure HMC meat.

Non-Muslim establishment but they trust the HMC label and get it from a butcher who is HMC-Certified. In fact this "Non-Muslim" knew about HMC because their was a discussion at their local pub and then he googled and read up on it.

: - ) I swear! I am not kidding! : - )

P.S: Off course this has nothing to do with HMC, just to show you that people trust the label...

No post ratings

Jump to page:

Quick Reply

CAPTCHA - As you are a guest, you are required to answer the following:

In the above image: What shape is the green shape ('box' is not a shape)?