Topic Appreciation
Appreciate
The following members appreciate this topic: xs11ax
abu mohammed
Rank Image
Longevity:
28%
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 11th September 2015 10:12

Is there a du’a to recite after burping?

Question

I want to know what du’a do you have to say after you burped? Some say that as it is an unpleasant thing, so you should say Astaghfirullah. However some say that you should say Alhamdulillah.

Answer

I have not come across a Hadith which explicitly states that one should recite Alhamdulillah or Astaghfirullah after burping.

I have come across the following Hadith.

A man once burped in front of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam). Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) stopped him and said,

“The one who is most satiated in this world, will be the hungriest on the Day of Qiyamah”

(Sunan Tirmidhi, Hadith: 2478. Imam Tirmidhi has declared the Hadith as sound –Hadithun hasanun gharib-. Some editions of Tirmidhi have ‘gharib‘ only)

Since burping is a sign of satiation as stated in the Hadith above, there is no harm in reciting Alhamdulillah after burping, praising Allah Ta’ala for the bounty of food. However one should not deem it a Sunnah.

And Allah Ta’ala Knows best.

Answered by: Moulana Suhail Motala

Approved by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar

report post quote code quick quote reply
Site Support
Please DONATE generously towards Muftisays

We spend hundreds of hours ensuring you receive a quality service from this site. We do not fall into the advertisement schemes as all the ads contain elements of Haraam including Haraam Islamic links. Please consider setting up a £1 monthly donation. May Allah (swt) reward you.

abu mohammed
Rank Image
Longevity:
28%
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 11th September 2015 10:33
During prayer, I see a lot of brothers often burp or scratch themselves. Is this disliked? If one is in-front of Allah (SWT) during prayer, then isn’t that a form of disrespect?

Answer:
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful
In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful, and all blessings and peace upon our master Muhammad, his Folk, Companions and those who follow their noble way,

Walaikum assalam,

If one burps intentionally without excuse and sounds are produced, the prayer is invalidated. If it overcomes one, it is proper to close or cover one’s mouth and prevent a sound, and improper not to do so (though it would not invalidate the prayer).

Any slight unnecessary motion is somewhat disliked. If it becomes akin to fidgeting, it is prohibitively disliked. Though such a prayer would be valid, it would be wajib (necessary) to repent, and to repeat the prayer to lift its deficiency.

And Allah knows best.

Wassalam,
Faraz Rabbani

Source
Like x 1
abu mohammed
Rank Image
Longevity:
28%
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 14th June 2017 16:29
Halalified YT Audio

Stop Your Burping | Mufti Abdur-Rahman ibn Yusuf
No post ratings
samah
Rank Image
Longevity:
0%
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 15th June 2017 23:03
Here are some excerpts from Ḥayāt al-Ṣaḥābah showing the same story which Mufti ARM relates.

Loading tweet
Like x 3
Concerned
Rank Image
Longevity:
0%
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 16th June 2017 21:00
I remember how shocked I was when I learnt saying alhamdulilah after burping was not sunnah, and saying lahawla .....after yawning was not sunnah. Everyone was constantly saying it and emphasizing it I just assume it had to be sunnah

No post ratings
kanzoorbhai
Rank Image
Longevity:
0%
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 17th June 2017 02:46

Concerned wrote:
View original post

i used to think "cream chese and honey" was sunnah. nobody told me so, i just assumed it. lol.

Creative x 2
Back to top Post New Topic Reply

Quick Reply

CAPTCHA - As you are a guest, you are required to answer the following:

In the above image: What is the word in red?