Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
sweetmuslimahk1, abu mohammed, Taalibah
4 guests appreciate this topic.
Rank Image
London
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd October 2010 16:52
Many People give IN to their desires wether it is for food, money or whatever and we all hear the term "Naughty But Nice". Well in some places this definately will not be nice and that is Following Desires to Shirk

How Following Your Desires will lead you to Shirk.
"DO YOU SEE THE MAN WHO MAKES HIS DESIRE HIS GOD" To make a God other than Allah is Shirk. Need I say more.

Please see blog (above)

Dont Pick & Choose different Masa'il from the different Schools of thought. You will only be following your desires.
report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 16th March 2014 13:28
السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

I doubt if I'm getting it right - Do you mean if one picks and chooses different Masa'il from the different Schools of thought just for the sake easiness and is following ones own desires, is literally committing shirk, and thus would no longer be a Muslim? Please confirm.
+1 -0
Rank Image
Bangladesh
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 16th March 2014 13:35
Maria al-Qibtiyya wrote:
I doubt if I'm getting it right - Do you mean if one picks and chooses different Masa'il from the different Schools of thought just for the sake easiness, is literally committing shirk, and thus would no longer be a Muslim? Please confirm.[/quote]

[quote=abu mohammed's blog]
Following Desires to Shirk

I often tell certain brothers to stop following what they like, as they seem to be picking and choosing from different schools, usually to suit their own preference, to please others who believe they are on the right path, or because they are told that they should find the strongest opinion and follow that. Please take a look ate the other blogs to see who has the strogest opinion.

Also see Seifeddines Blog on following 1 imam and sticking to it.

Many times I have told them that following your own desires would lead to shirk and at the time the only evidence I was able to provide them with was the Ayah from the Quran regarding Athiests. Allah tells us that people say that the Athiest has no God, But infact Allah tells us that their God is their desires. Therefore idicating to us that the Lord of the Athiest is their desires "Hawa", Evil and corrupted Desires.

Alhumdulillah I have come across another 10 verses from the Quran to back me up.

How Following Your Desires will lead you to Shirk.

"DO YOU SEE THE MAN WHO MAKES HIS DESIRE HIS GOD" To make a God other than Allah is Shirk. Need I say more.

Quran Ayats on Following The Nafs

1) "But he clung to the earthly life and succumbed to fancies. He was like the dog which pant whether you chase it awys or let it alone" (Surah 7/Al A'raf, Verse 176)

2) "Do you see the man who makes his desire his God, the man whom Allah leaves in error, setting a seal upon his ears and heart and drawing a veil over his eyes? Who then can guide him after Allah (has withdrawn guidance)? Will you not take heed? (Surah 45/Al-Jathiya, Verse 23)

3) "Can he who follows the guidance of his Rabb be compared to him whose erroneous actions are made to seem fair to him, and to those who follows their desires?" (Surah 47/Muhammad, Verse 14)

4) "Nor obey him whose heart We have made heedless of Our Remembrance; who follows his desires and whose case exceeds due bounds" (Surah 18/Al-Kahf, Verse 28)

5) "And if after all the knowledge you have been given, you yeild to their desires, there shall be none to help or protect you from the wrath of Allah" (Surah 2/Baqarah, Verse 120)

6) "And do you not yield to their fancies from the truth that has been made known to you" (Surah 5/Al-Maidah, Verse 48)

7) "And do not be led by their desires" (Surah 5/Al-Maidah, Verse 49)

8) "And do not yield to the desires of ignorant men, for they in no way can protect you from the wrath of Allah" (Surah 45/Al-Jathiya, Verse 18)

9) "Rule with justice among men and do not yield to lust, lest it should turn you away froms Allah's path" (Surah 38/Saad, Verse 26)

10) "And who is in greater error than the man who is lead by his desires without guidance from Allah? Allah does not guide the evil-doers" (Surah 28/Al Qasas, Verse 50)

May Allah protect us from following our desires and jumping around from one school of thought to another without being a Mujtahid, Faqih or Muhaddith.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 16th March 2014 13:36
Black Turban wrote:
View original post

Jazakallahu khair.

But I had already read the blog post before posting my Q.

+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 16th March 2014 13:47
Sister Maria, what is meant here is not choosing different rulings from the various school of thought, following ones desires...I.e. to stick to either hanafi Fiqh or shafi fiqh, and not to pick and choose different rulings according to ones own personal preference from the various school of thought.
+3 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 16th March 2014 13:55
Taalibah wrote:
View original post

I understand it. Jazakillahu khair.

What I'm asking api, a person committing this sin, would be a Muslim or not, as he's committing shirk?
+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 16th March 2014 14:00
Shirk is an unforgivable crime if remained unpardoned before death, Allah سبحانه وتعالى may forgive any sin if one dies in that state except for committing shirk.

The point of the article is that one becomes aware of whether they are committing shirk, so they can repent and change their ways.

Shirk is believing and following in anything other than Allah سبحانه وتعالى so someone committing shirk would not be at Muslim.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 16th March 2014 14:09
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 16th March 2014 14:13
salaam

how about picking and choosing from established opinions within one's own madhab. is that okay?
+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 16th March 2014 14:17
xs11ax wrote:
View original post

As long as it's not done with intention of looking for an easier way out of performing a particular shariah ruling. One ruling that may apply to one person's circumstance may not apply to another person....but yes on a general note rulings within ones own madhab is fine. Allah knows best.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 16th March 2014 14:27
Api Talibah:

Jazakillahu khair .

1. Do you mean blog post doesn't say following ones desire is shirk but it may lead to shirk?

From the link you posted:
Quote:
Sins and acts of disobedience are not major shirk at all, but committing minor sins will soon cause a person to dare to commit major sins, and major sins will soon lead a person into shirk and its branches. Hence one of the salaf said: Sin is the harbinger of kufr, i.e., it leads to it. And some of the salaf called it light shirk or minor shirk. islamqa.info/en/126005

2. OR do you mean when blog post say, following ones desire leads to shirk, it simply means it is shirk ? If so, then another question which comes to mind, can a shirki be a Muslim?

Please clarify.
+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 16th March 2014 14:31
The point of the thread is not to follow ones desires....there are small shirks and major shirks, and their is commiting sins, which do not take a person out of the fold of Islam....the emphasis here is not following of ones desires that leads to shirk.
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 16th March 2014 14:36
Can you post some ulama ruling on this/?
+2 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 16th March 2014 14:37
Quote:
1. Do you mean blog post doesn't say following ones desire is shirk but it may lead to shirk?

That's correct.

+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 16th March 2014 14:38
Taalibah wrote:
View original post

I understand the point of this thread - One shouldn't pick & choose.

Sorry to follow questions with questions.

+1 -0