Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

The Muwatta Of Imam Muhammad (rahimahullah)

Jump to page:

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
Yasin, abu mohammed
4 guests appreciate this topic.
Rank Image
London
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 28th November 2011 10:04

"The unqualified truth is that all of the Muwatta is sahih without any exception!" -Hafiz Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani (رحمه الله)

This quote from one of the greatest authorities on hadith of all time is sufficient recommendation. The version of the Muwatta narrated by Imam Muhammad ibn al-Hasan al-Shaybani (رحمه الله), one of the two leading pupils of Imam Abu Hanifah (رحمه الله), directly from his three years of study with Imam Malik (رحمه الله) will be of particular interest not only to students of Hanafi fiqh, but also to students of hadith in general.

Imam Malik (رحمه الله) composed the Muwatta' over a period of forty years to represent the "well-trodden path" of the people of Madina. Its name also means that it is the book that is "many times agreed upon"- about whose contents the people of Madina were unanimously agreed-and that is "made easy and facilitated". Its high standing is such that people of every school of fiqh and all of the imams of hadith scholarship agree upon its authenticity. Imam Shafi'i (رحمه الله) said, "There is not on the face of the earth-after the Book of Allah-a book which is more sahih than the book of Malik." Shah Wali Allah Dihlawi (1114-1176 AH) (رحمه الله) said, "My breast expanded and I became certain that the Muwatta' is the most sahih book to be found on the earth after the Book of Allah."

Imam Malik (رحمه الله)

Imam Malik (رحمه الله) is the imam of the imams, the leader of the people of knowledge of Madinah, Malik ibn Anas ibn Malik ibn Abi 'Amir al-Asbahi al-Madani (رحمه الله), born in 94 AH, 95 AH or even 99 AH. He was called the Man of Knowledge of Madina. People of knowledge understood that it was him the Prophet saw indicated in the hadith from Abu Hurayra (رضي الله عنه), "People will soon beat the livers of their camels [in travelling in search of knowledge] but they will not find a man of knowledge more knowledgeable than the man of knowledge of Madina." Among his pupils were the Imams Sufyan ath-Thawri (رحمه الله), Sa'id ibn Mansur (رحمه الله), 'Abdullah ibn al-Mubarak (رحمه الله), 'Abd ar-Rahman al-Awza'i (رحمه الله) who was older than him, Layth ibn Sa'd (رحمه الله) who was one of his peers, Imam ash-Shafi'i (رحمه الله), Muhammad ibn al-Hasan al-Shaybani (رحمه الله), the Malikis 'Abd ar-Rahman ibn al-Qasim (رحمه الله), Yahya ibn Yahya al-Laythi (رحمه الله), Ibn Wahb (رحمه الله), and Dhu'n-Nun al-Misri (رحمه الله). He died in 179 AH on the morning of the 14th of Rabi' al-Awwal.

Imam Muhammad al-Shaybani (رحمه الله)

He is Abu 'Abdullah Muhammad ibn al-Hasan ibn Farqad al-Shaybani (رحمه الله). Muhammad (رحمه الله) was born in Wasit in 132 AH, and grew up in Kufa. He was a pupil of Abu Hanifah (رحمه الله). Imam Shafi'i (رحمه الله) said, "I have not seen anyone more eloquent than him. I used to think when I saw him reciting the Qur'an that it was as if the Qur'an had been revealed in his language." He also said, "I have not seen anyone more itelligent than Muhammad ibn al-Hasan." Dhahabi (رحمه الله) said, "He narrated from Malik ibn Anas and others, and he was one of the great oceans of knowledge and fiqh, and he was strong [when he narrated] from Malik." Muhammad (رحمه الله) said, "I stood at Malik's door for three years and I heard [the Muwatta'] from him [with] more than seven hundred hadith." He died in Rayy in 189 AH.

See also: Imams' Praise Of Imam Muhammad Ibn Al-Hasan (رحمه الله) -
http://www.muftisays.com/forums/the-true-salaf-as-saliheen/6457/imams-praise-of-imam-muhammad-ibn-al-hasan-%28ra%29.html
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 28th November 2011 10:12
1. THE PRAYER

1. The Time Of The Prayer

1. Imam Muhammad ibn al-Hasan (رحمه الله) said: "Malik ibn Anas رحمه الله informed us from Yazid ibn Ziyad رحمه الله, the mawla of Banu Hashim, that 'Abdullah ibn Rafi' رحمه الله, the mawla of Umm Salama (رضي الله عنها) the wife of the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم), asked Abu Hurayrah (رضي الله عنه) about the times of the prayer, and Abu Hurayrah (رضي الله عنه) said, 'I will tell: pray Zuhr when [the length of] your shadow is equal to your height, and 'Asr when your shadow is twice your height, and Maghrib when the sun has set, and 'Isha from then until the [passing of a] third of the night, and, should you sleep until the passing of half the night, then let your eyes sleep, and pray Salaah in darkness.'"

Imam Muhammad (رحمه الله) said: "This was the verdict of Imam Abu Hanifa, may Allaah have mercy on him, concerning the time of 'Asr, and he used to consider the time when [the dawn] glowed clearly as Fajr. As for our verdict, we say that when the shadow [of an object] has grown longer than the object, and therefore has arrived at and exceeded the length of the object as the sun moves beyond its zenith, then the time of 'Asr has arrived. As for Imam Abu Hanifa (رحمه الله), he said that the time for 'Asr does not arrive until the shadow [of an object] becomes twice its length."

See:
The Time Of 'Asr Salaah, And The Evidence Of The Hanafi Math-hab - http://www.muftisays.com/blog/Seifeddine-M/1082_30-01-2011/the-time-of-asr-salah,-and-the-evidence-of-the-hanafi-math.hab.html
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 28th November 2011 10:18
2. Malik رحمه الله informed us: "Ibn Shihab az-Zuhri رحمه الله informed me that 'Urwah رحمه الله said, Ummul Mu'mineen 'Aa'isha (رضي الله عنها) narrated to me that the Messenger of Allaah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) used to pray 'Asr when the sun was [shining] into her room, before it had [itself] become visible [i.e. because it was still high in the sky]."
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 28th November 2011 10:20
3. Malik رحمه الله informed us: "Ibn Shihad az-Zuhri رحمه الله informed me that Anas ibn Malik (رضي الله عنه) said, 'We used to pray 'Asr, then someone would leave to go to Quba', and reach them whilst the sun was still high.'"
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 28th November 2011 10:22
4. Malik رحمه الله informed us: "Ishaq ibn 'Abdullah ibn Abi Talhah رحمه الله informed us that Anas ibn Malik (رضي الله عنه) said, 'We used to pray 'Asr, and then someone would go out to Banu 'Amr ibn 'Awf and find them praying 'Asr.'"

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 28th November 2011 10:25
Imam Muhammad (رحمه الله) said: "Praying 'Asr later is better, in our view, than praying it sooner, provided you pray it while the sun is white and pure, before any yellowness enters it. That is the import of the majority of narrations and is also the verdict of Imam Abu Hanifa (رحمه الله). Indeed, some of the Fuqahaa' have said, 'It is called 'Asr for no other reason than its being squeezed [tu'sar] and delayed.'"
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 29th November 2011 07:26
2. Beginning Wudu'

5. Malik رحمه الله informed us: "'Amr ibn Yahya ibn 'Umarah ibn Abi Hasan al-Mazini رحمه الله informed us from his father Yahya رحمه الله that he heard his grandfather Abu Hasan ask رحمه الله 'Abdullah ibn Zayd ibn 'Asim (رضي الله عنه), one of the Companions of the Messenger of Allaah (صلى الله عليه وسلم), saying, 'Could you show me how the Messenger of Allaah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) used to perform Wudu'?' 'Abdullah ibn Zayd رضي الله عنه said, 'Yes,' and he called for water. Then he poured (some) onto his hands and washed them twice, then he rinsed his mouth, then he washed his face three times, then he washed his arms to the elbows twice each, then using his hands, he wiped his head from the front down to the back of his neck, then (re-wiped it by) bringing them back to the place he'd started from, then he washed his feet."

Imam Muhammad (رحمه الله) said: "This is fine, though washing three times is better, even twice is enough, and so is once, so long as it is made to cover [all the required areas]. That is the verdict of Imam Abu Hanifa, may Allaah have mercy on him."
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 29th November 2011 07:27
6. Malik رحمه الله informed us: "Abu'z-Zinad رحمه الله narrated to us from 'Abdur Rahman al-A'raj رحمه الله that Abu Hurayrah (رضي الله عنه) said, 'When any of you performs Wudu', let him take [water] into his nose and then blow [it] out.'"
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 29th November 2011 07:29
7. Malik رحمه الله informed us: "Az-Zuhri رحمه الله narrated to us from Abu Idrees al-Khawlani رحمه الله from Abu Hurayrah (رضي الله عنه) that the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said, 'Whoever performs Wudu', let his expel whatever is in his nostrils and whoever uses stones [to remove faeces], let him use an odd number.'"
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 29th November 2011 07:31
Imam Muhammad (رحمه الله) said: "We adhere to this [report]; whoever us performing Wudu' ought to rinse his mouth and expel whatever is in his nose and he ought also to use stones. The 'using of stones' refers to removal of faeces. And that is the verdict of Imam Abu Hanifa, may Allaah, Exalted is He, have mercy upon him."
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 29th November 2011 07:33
8. Malik informed us: "Nu'aym ibn 'Abdullah ibn al-Mujmir رحمه الله informed us that he heard Abu Hurayrah (رضي الله عنه) say, 'Whoever performs his Wudu as best he can, then sets out for the prayer, is in prayer as long as he has set out for this [purpose]; a good deed is written for every one step he takes and a bad deed is erased for every other step. So, if one of you hears the iqamah, let him hurry, for the greatest of you in reward is the one whose home is farthest away.' They said, 'Why, Abu Hurayrah?' He said, 'Because of the greater number of steps.'"
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 30th November 2011 07:18
3. Washing The Hands When Performing Wudu'

9. Malik رحمة اللہ علیه informed us: "Abu'z-Zinad رحمة اللہ علیه informed us from al-A'raj رحمة اللہ علیه from Abu Hurayrah (رضي الله عنه) that the Messenger of Allaah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said, 'When any of you wake up let him wash his hand before he inserts it in his Wudu bowl, for he has no idea where his hand spent the night.'"

Imam Muhammad (رحمة اللہ علیه) said: "This is good; and this is what he ought to do, though it is not one of the compulsory matters which if someone leaves he will have done a wrong action; this is the verdict of Imam Abu Hanifa, may Allah have mercy on him."
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 1st December 2011 07:27
4. Washing After Defecation

10. Imam Malik (رحمه الله) informed us: "Yahya ibn Muhammad ibn Tahla (رحمه الله) informed us from 'Uthman ibn Abdur Rahman (رحمه الله) that his father told him that he heard Umar ibn al-Khattab (رضي الله عنه) washing that which is below the large cloth wrapped around the lower half of the body [izar]."

Imam Muhammad (رحمه الله) said: "We adhere to this; and cleaning oneself with water is preferable to us than [doing] otherwise; and this is the verdict of Imam Abu Hanifa, may Allah have mercy on him."
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 1st December 2011 21:16
5. Performing Wudu after Touching the Penis

11. Imam Malik رحمه الله informed us: "Ismail ibn Muhammad ibn Sad ibn Abi Waqqas رحمه الله narrated to us that Musab ibn Sad رحمه الله said, 'I used to wait upon Sad, holding the copy of Qur'an, and I scratched myself so he said, "Perhaps you touched your penis?" I said, "Yes." He said, "Get up and perform Wudu." So I got up and performed wudu, then returned.'"

12. Imam Malik رحمه الله informed us: "Ibn Shihab رحمه الله informed us from Salim ibn Abdullah رحمه الله from his father رضي الله عنه that he used to do ghusl and then perform wudu; so he said to him, 'Doesn't doing ghusl preclude you from having to perform wudu?' He said, "Yes, but sometimes I touch my penis, so I perform wudu.'"

Imam Muhammad Ibn al-Hasan رحمه الله said: There is no [need to do] wudu after touching the penis; there are many narrations concerning this."

13. Imam Muhammad رحمه الله said: "Ayyub ibn Utbah at-Taymi رحمه الله, the qadi of al-Yamamah, informed us from Qays ibn Talq رحمه الله that his father narrated to him that a man asked the Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) about a man's touching his penis, 'Should he do wudu?' He said, 'Is it anything but a part of your body?'"

14. Imam Muhammad رحمه الله said: "Talha Amr al-Makki رحمه الله informed us, Ata ibn Abi Rabah رحمه الله informed us from Sayyiduna Ibn 'Abbas, who said concering touching the penis while you are in prayer, 'I don't mind whether I touch it or I touch my nose.'"

15. Imam Muhammad رحمه الله said: "Ibrahim ibn Muhammad al-Madani رحمه الله informed us, 'Salih رحمه الله the mawla of at-Tawamah informed us from Sayyiduna Ibn Abbas, who said, 'There is no doing wudu after touching the penis.'"

16. Imam Muhammad رحمه الله said: "Ibrahim ibn Muhammad al-Madani رحمه الله informed us, Al-Harith ibn Abi Dhuhab رحمه الله informed us that he heard Sa`id ibn al-Musayyab رحمه الله say, 'There is no doing wudu after touching the penis"

17. Imam Muhammad رحمه الله said: "Abu al-Awwam al-Basri رحمه الله informed us, 'A man asked Ata ibn Abi Rabah رحمه الله, "Abu Muhammad, [what do you say concerning] a man who touches his private parts after doing wudu?" A man amongst the people said said, "Ibn Abbas used to say, 'If you consider it an impurity cut it off.'" Ata ibn Abi Rabah رحمه الله said, "This, by Allah, is the verdict of Ibn Abbas.'"

18. Imam Muhammad رحمه الله said: "Imam Abu Hanifah رحمه الله informed us from Hammad رحمه الله from Ibrahim an-Nakha'i رحمه الله from Sayyiduna Ali ibn Abi Talib رضي الله عنه concerning touching the penis, that he said, 'I don't mind whether I touch that or the tip of my nose"

19. Imam Muhammad رحمه الله said: "Imam Abu Hanifah رحمه الله informed us from Hammad رحمه الله from Ibrahim رحمه الله that Sayyiduna 'Abdullah Ibn Mas'ud رضي الله عنه was asked about doing wudu after touching the penis and he said 'If it is an impurity cut it off.'"

20. Imam Muhammad رحمه الله said: "Muhill ad-Dabbi رحمه الله informed us from Ibrahim al-Nakha'i رحمه الله concerning touching the penis whilst in prayer, that he said, 'It is nothing more than one of your body parts.'"

21. Imam Muhammad رحمه الله said: "Sallam ibn Sulaym al-Hanafi رحمه الله informed us from Mansur ibn al-Mu'tamir رحمه الله from Abu Qays رحمه الله from Arqam ibn Shurahbil رحمه الله who said, 'I said to Abdullah ibn Mas'ud رضي الله عنه, "I scratch my body whilst in prayer and touch my penis." He said, "It is nothing more than one of your body parts.'"

22. Imam Muhammad رحمه الله said: "Sallam ibn Sulaym رحمه الله informed us from Mansur ibn al-Mutamir رحمه الله from as-Sadusi رحمه الله from al-Bara ibn Qays رحمه الله who said, 'I asked Hudhayfah ibn al-Yaman رضي الله عنه about a man's touching his penis, and he said, "It is just like his touching his head."'"

23. Imam Muhammad رحمه الله said: "Misar ibn Kidam رحمه الله informed us from Umayr ibn Sad an-Nakha'i رحمه الله that he said, 'I was in a sitting with Ammar ibn Yasir رحمه الله and touching the penis was mentioned and he said, "It is nothing more than one of your body parts, but your hand should be elsewhere."'"

24. Imam Muhammad رحمه الله said: "Misar ibn Kidam رحمه الله informed us from Iyad ibn Laqit رحمه الله from al-Bara ibn Qays رحمه الله that he said, 'Hudhayfah ibn al-Yaman said, concerning touching the penis, "[It is] like [touching] your nose."'"

25. Imam Muhammad رحمه الله said: "Misar ibn Kidam رحمه الله informed us, 'Qabus رحمه الله narrated to us from Abu Zabyan رحمه الله from Sayyiduna Ali ibn Abi Talib رضي الله عنه, who said, "I don't mind whether I touch that or my nose or my ear."'"

26. Imam Muhammad رحمه الله said: "Abu Kudaynah Yahya ibn al-Muhallab رحمه الله informed us from Abu Ishaq ash-Shaybani رحمه الله from Abu Qays Abd ar-Rahman ibn Tharwan رحمه الله from Alqamah رحمه الله from Qays رحمه الله who said, 'A man came to Abdullah ibn Mas'ud رضي الله عنه and said, "I touched my penis whilst in prayer." 'Abdullah رضي الله عنه said, "Why did you not cut it off?" Then he said, "Is your penis any different from the rest of your body?"'"

27. Imam Muhammad رحمه الله said: "Yahya ibn al-Muhallab رحمه الله informed us from Ismail ibn Abi Khalid رحمه الله from Qays ibn Abi Hazim رحمه الله who said, 'A man came to Sa'd ibn Abi Waqqas رضي الله عنه and said, "Is it allowed for me to touch my penis whilist in prayer?" So he said, "If you know that you have an impure body part, cut it off."'"

28. Imam Muhammad رحمه الله said: "Ismail ibn Ayyash رحمه الله informed us, Jarir ibn Uthman رحمه الله narrated to me from Habib ibn Ubayd رحمه الله from Sayyiduna Abu'd-Darda رضي الله عنه, that he was asked about touching the penis and said, 'It is nothing more than one of your body parts.'"

+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 5th December 2011 09:02
Wudu' After [Eating] Something Which Has Been Altered By Fire [During Cooking]

29. Imam Malik رحمه الله informed us: "Wahb Ibn Kaysan رحمه الله narrated [this] to us. He said, 'I heard Jabir Ibn 'Abdullah رضي الله عنه say, "I saw Abu Bakr as-Siddeeq (رضي الله عنه) eat meat and then pray and he did not do Wudu'."'"
No post ratings

Jump to page: