[color=blue]
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 9th September 2015 19:43
assalamu alaykum,

i discussed this issue with a knowledgable shafi'i talib-e-ilm. he said the socks upon which masah are being made have to satisfy three conditions:
1) water doesn't seep through to skin during masah.
2) covers whole foot including ankle.
3) doesn't break by walking long distances. "long distance" is not a fixed amount but up to urf.

and this is the gist of respected shaykh taha karaan's fatwa. hafezahullah.
-should be sturdy enough to be worn without shoes or sandals in one’s normal daily routine and thick enough to prevent the penetration of water when it is poured over the sock. if the sock is sturdy enough to walk in, but does not prevent the penetration of water when poured over it, wiping over such a sock would not be permitted. This is the preferred view of the madhhab.
-in one alternative opinion, the penetration of water is to be considered only when one wipes over the socks with a wet hand. a sock which is strong enough that one is able to walk around in it, and thick enough to prevent water from penetrating when one wipes over it, may validly be wiped on.
-another opinion states that preventing the penetration of water is not required in the sock at all. so, one may wipe over a sock strong enough to be walked around in, even if it does not prevent the penetration of water at all.
-any of these may be practiced upon in one’s personal capacity.
islamqa.org/shafii/shafiifiqh/30010

iirc, shaykh nuh keller's al-maqasid says thick woolen socks (like the knee high soccer socks or woolen socks worn in winter) are permitted for masah. so the only thing left for me to check is the ordinary cotton sock that most people wear.
insha'Allah this will make things a lot easier for me as a shafi'i with regards to making wudhu in an uncomfortable situation or when having to pray behind a salafi brother.
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings