Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Is this book authentic?

You have contributed 6.3% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 30th May 2014 04:52
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 30th May 2014 09:39
Maria al-Qibtiyya wrote:
View original post

Better to let the senior members reply.

Although I'd like to say that there are only 4 Madhahib!
+2 -0Like x 2Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 30th May 2014 10:00
Maria al-Qibtiyya wrote:
View original post

If I am not mistaken, This book is about comparative fiqh of the 4 Madhabs, not 5.

There are 2 ibn Rushd. This book's author's Grandfather was also known as Ibn Rushd, he was a Maliki scholar. The author of this book is also a Maliki scholar if I m not mistaken. But there have been some issues with him, since he tried to refute Imam Ghazzali's book 'Incoherence of the Philosophers'.

I have skimmed through the English translation you ve mentioned in the OP. Its not really useful for us laymen. Also I m not sure about the approval of this book amongst the scholars. Have this in mind, to study about a Madhab, its better to learn from the books of scholars of the respective Madhabs, not through such books on comparative fiqh.
+4 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 30th May 2014 10:28
umar123 wrote:
View original post

Jazakallahu khairan.

Actually by fifth Madhhab I meant to say, Dhahiri. The person suggested the book was also dhahiri.

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 30th May 2014 11:52
Maria al-Qibtiyya wrote:
View original post

Dhahiri ?

The ahlus Sunnah agrees on 4 madhabs and that's the consensus

Hanafi
Shafi
Hambli
Maliki

+3 -0Like x 3
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 30th May 2014 14:40
Jinn wrote:
View original post

Okay.

But are not dhahiri also sunni?

They also use the term Madh-hab for their sect like "Al-dhahir madhhab", thats why I said 5 Madhahib. Is it wrong to do so?
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 30th May 2014 15:22

I think this book is part of the curriculum in Madinah Uni but...if one thinks that after finishing this book he has the tools to perform ijtihad, then he's severely mistaken.

There are only 4 accepted madhhabs of ahlus Sunnah (Hanafi, Maliki, Shafi'i and Hanbali), all the others died out due to different reasons.
+3 -0Like x 3Agree x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 30th May 2014 15:27
Sulaiman84 wrote:
View original post

And any new ones have no consensus!
+0 -0Agree x 2
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 30th May 2014 15:28

Maria al-Qibtiyya wrote:
View original post

This manual is for Fuqaha and not laymen (as the title clearly indicates)

Maria al-Qibtiyya wrote:
View original post

Once upon a time there were many Madhabs i.e. Madhab of Imam Auzai (RA) etc but almost all of them either got subsumed or died out (as not enough transmission) was done by students.

In the last 40-50 years due to Shaykh Al-Albani (HA) and Ahl-e-Hadeeth in India/Pakistan there has been renewed interest and uptake in the Dahhiri Madhab of Imam Dawud bin Ali bin Khalaf al-Zahiri (RA), although neither are strictly Dhahiri (they deny it actually). Ibn Hazm (RA), Imam Shawkani (RA) had significant Dhahiri leanings in the past.

Once upon a time Dhahiri Madhab was a School with literature, methodology etc but today although we have very few (even fewer then few) Dhahiri Ulama not sure if we can call it a School (it is mostly defunct).

Today we have four (4) Madhabs which are active and thriving.

+4 -0Like x 2Agree x 1Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 30th May 2014 15:38
Okay. Jazakumullahu khairan everyone.
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 30th May 2014 15:43
Maria al-Qibtiyya wrote:
View original post

Although one may disagree with this Maulana in Saudi Arabia on some matters but there are some definite truths in what he is saying here:

www.daralhadith.org.uk/?p=2415

I (in my humble and unqualified opinion) agree to some extent.

+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 30th May 2014 18:32
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

Bro muadh is this the brother who had the same name on SF?
No post ratings
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 30th May 2014 18:56
Some people say that Jafari shiite madhhab is the fifth madhhab. This is extremely false since mentioning the four authentic madhahib together with a madhhab that is transmitted by people who are considered apostates in general is a clear negation of our religion.

The zahiri madhhab is not recognised because it negates the ikhtilaf. They are like ahle hadith regarding this but they are still not wahhabis. Today's zahiris have shown much difference to the wahhabis and ahle hadith. Musa Cerantionio from Australia is a famous daee who follows this madhhab. His followers are wahhabis in general but when one looks closer on his opinions it can be seen how different he is from wahhabism. This differences should be emphased in order to show that salafism is indeed a product of this time without existence before.
+0 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 30th May 2014 19:28
Murabit Al Hajj quoting the great Mauritanian scholar Sidi Abdullah Ould Hajj Ibrahim(rahimahullah)

Sidi Abdullah Ould Hajj Ibrahim says in Nashru al-bunud,

"This means that the consensus of the scholars today is on the four schools of thought, and I mean by the schools of Malik, Abu Hanifa, Shafi'i and Ahmad. Indeed, all of the scholars have prohibited following any other school of an independent and absolute mujtahid since the eighth century when the school of Dawud adh-Dhahiri died out and until the 12th Century and all subsequent ones."

Again, in Maraqi as-Sa'ud, Sidi Abdullah says,

"The consensus today is on the four, and all have prohibited following [any] others."
+4 -0Like x 3Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 30th May 2014 21:49
Answer by Maulana Muntasir Zaman:

[QUOTE]
Wa 'Alaykum Assalam,

Before discussing the reliability of the book, it is essential to have some insight on the author, Ibn Rushd. There are two Ibn Rushds: one is the grandfather (al-Jadd) and the other is the grandson (al-Hafid). The author of Bidayat al-Mujtahid, is the second one i.e. Ibn Rushd al-Hafid (520-595 AH), who is known for being considerably influenced by Greek philosophy. His influence from Greek philosophy is evident in his works. As opposed to his grandfather, the grandson was a controversial personalty. If I remember correctly, towards the end of his life he was put on house arrest due to his isolated views and in that state he passed away. He also authored Tahfut al-Tahafut in refutation of Imam al-Ghazali.

The book in reference is entitled Bidayat al-Mujtahid wa Nihayat al-Muqtasid. It discuses 'Ilm al-Khilaf, better known nowadays as al-Fiqh al-Muqaran. It is not confined only to the five Madhahib as you mentioned, rather Ibn Rushd discusses the differences and views of various other scholars as well, such as the views of al-Awza'i, al-Thawri, and Ishaq ibn Rahwey etc. He does not delve into Furu' as his main focus is on the essentials of the chapters and the differences of the scholars therein. His primary source was al-Istidhkar of Ibn 'Abd al-Barr.

I am not sure what you mean be "is it reliable." If you are asking if it is a reliable book for correctly understanding the views of a particular Madhhab, then I would say no, because in order to do that we have to refer to accepted books of that Madhhab. It is like using al-Hidayah to ascertain a view of the Shafi'iyyah or the Malik'iyya. If you are asking if the book is a reliable book in the Maliki Madhhab, then several Maliki scholars mention that it may be be used to learn the proofs and various views on a particular issue, but it is not a book of Fatwa.

Finally, it is not permissible to adopt the Dhahiri Madhhab for several reasons, the most obvious being the fact that it has not reached us as a codified school of law. We are are only permitted to adhere to one of the four accepted Madhahab.

Wassalam
[END QUOTE]

I would also like to add that you should try not to get too influenced by your dhaahiri friend. Im not saying cut her off completely, just don't take deen from her. Thats all.

+8 -0Like x 2Winner x 5

Quick Reply

CAPTCHA - As you are a guest, you are required to answer the following:

In the above image: What is the word in green?