Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
abu mohammed, Taalibah
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 19th February 2014 10:36

The Meccan Rebellion: The Story of Juhayman al-'Utaybi Revisited

Based on new information gathered from extensive fieldwork in Saudi Arabia and elsewhere, this account sheds light on the story and legacy of Juhayman al-‘Utaybi, the militant who led the 1979 takeover of Islam’s holiest site: the Grand Mosque in Mecca. Detailing the events that would set in motion numerous attacks  on the U.S. embassy in Pakistan and Shia uprisings in oil-rich areas of Saudi Arabia, this record offers insight into the religious inspiration behind the rebel leader’s message and acknowledges many unanswered questions: Who were the rebels and what did they want? Why and how did Juhayman’s group come into existence? What was Juhayman al-‘Utaybi’s ideological legacy and how have his writings influenced contemporary Islamist strains?

Additional Pertinent Reading:

The Siege of Mecca

20 November 1979: as morning prayers began, hundreds of hardline Islamist gunmen, armed with rifles smuggled in coffins, stormed the Grand Mosque in Mecca. With thousands of terrified worshippers trapped inside, the result was a bloody siege that lasted two weeks, caused hundreds of deaths, prompted an international diplomatic crisis and unleashed forces that would eventually lead to the rise of al Qaeda.

Journalist Yaroslav Trofimov takes us day-by-day through one of the most momentous – and heavily censored – events in recent history, interviewing many direct participants in the siege and drawing on secret documents to reveal the truth about the first operation of modern global jihad.

The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11

Brilliantly written, compelling and highly original, The Looming Tower is the first book to tell the full story of Al Qaeda from its roots up to 9/11. Drawing on astonishing interviews and first-hand sources, it investigates the extraordinary group of idealogues behind this organization - and those who tried to stop them. There is the tormented, resentful Egyptian Sayyid Qutb, who was horrified by the godlessness and decadence he perceived in America in 1948, and whose subsequent writings turned him into a martyr for Islamic extremists. There is Ayman al-Zawahiri: a devout student who, by the age of fifteen, had already helped to form an underground jihadist cell. There is the deeply contradictory Osama bin Laden: Saudi multimillionaire turned muhajideen commander, whose interests merged with al-Zawahiri's to form a global terror coalition. And there is the FBI's counterterrorism chief, the flamboyant, cigar-smoking John O'Neill, who found his warnings that 'something big' was coming continually ignored, and would finally meet his fate in the shadow of the Twin Towers.

Interweaving this extraordinary story with events including the Israeli-Palestine conflict, the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan and the first attack on the World Trade Center, Lawrence Wright takes us into training camps, mountain hideouts and top secret meetings to explore how it all fed into the planning and execution of 9/11 - and reveals the real, complex origins of Al Qaeda's hatred of the West.

Wright's brilliantly acclaimed book now includes a new Afterword which covers events that have unfolded since publication, including the death of Osama Bin Laden

report post quote code quick quote reply
+4 -0Like x 4
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 19th February 2014 13:14
Other similar and related books are:

The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11 by Lawrence Wright - I did download it and read quite a bit of it but can't find the download link or the copy on my hard drive at the moment. It's a fantastic book and looks into from Juhayman and his ideology as well the Ikhwan and others who all "influenced" al-Qaeda.

The Siege of Mecca by Yaroslav Trofimov - I am considering to buy this book, anyone read it?
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 19th February 2014 13:16

Post merged into OP.

+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 19th February 2014 13:31
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

Yes, that is the one. Shukran
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 20th November 2019 10:02
An insight of what happened and that day!

www.arabnews.com/node/1586076/media

Click on ENTER to see videos and and full article

'Position the snipers! Close the doors!' A hostile takeover during the dawn prayer

Includes a video from the moment when Juhayman's men seized the imam's microphone, from Dirk van den Berg's documentary "The Siege of Mecca."
The above link includes the deadly gunfire from the minarets in footage obtained from "The Siege of Mecca."
Hear one of the messages of Juhayman's group blaring out from the speakers.

Quote:
Prince Turki recalls meeting the wounded rebel leader in hospital after his capture. “When I came in, he looked up at me and he said, ‘Sir, I’m very regretful for what I did, and please, can you intercede for me with King Khaled, to forgive me?” My answer to him was, ‘You don’t deserve forgiveness, having done what you did,’ and that was the end of it.

No post ratings
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 20th November 2019 22:55
How accurate is this? I read somewhere juhayman himself never claimed to be mehdi but others had all had same dream that he was the mehdi. Also his motivation was he saw the regime becomin too western and dogs of America.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 21st November 2019 09:09
Guest-202475 wrote:
View original post

You haven't read the article!

He didn't claim the be the Mahdi.

See the link in the post above. There is a photo of the dead Mohammed Al-Qahtani, the supposed Al-Mahdi. The brother in-law of Juhayman.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 21st November 2019 18:46
Did he himself ever claim to be mehdi? Or did others throw that title at him. If they thought Saudi was too modern n western then imagine what they would think of it today. Got a WhatsApp video yday of a guy interviewing a Saudi man in a mall who walking around with his girlfriend saying its ok now in Saudi.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd November 2019 08:37
mkdon101 wrote:
View original post

The answer isn't extremism nor deception.

May Allah keep the Ummah on Siratal Mustaqeem.
+0 -0Ameen x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd November 2019 12:49

mkdon101 wrote:
View original post

1.  Juhayman ibn Muhammad ibn Sayf al-Otaybi is the person whose picture you usually see in the Media, he was the one who was arrested along with 60+
  2. Muhammad bin abd Allah al-Qahtani was his brother-in-law who claimed to be " (false) Mahdi" and Juhayman did Bay't on his hand and called people towards doing Bayt. He was shot & killed by Pakistani SSG who stormed Haram on that day. The "Rahbar" unit of Pakistan Army which responded put plenty of bullets in his body and then electrocuted and burned him alive!

Some say that Pakistani Army deliberately killed him and did not capture him alive when they captured Juhayman and 60 others, some say Saudees had explicitly told Pakistan Army to ensure that he was killed, not sure.

The dog got what he deserved!

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd November 2019 11:41
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

How can they burn him alive if they shot him multiple times and electrocuted him.

I don't support what they did but do believe they were sincere and mislead.
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd November 2019 17:53

mkdon101 wrote:
View original post

Due to how the operation unfolded.

1. Saudi Army tried to quash the rebellion, took heavy casualties and retreated
  2. French Special Forces were employed and did initial recce but did not engage after the initial recce and requesting SSG of Pak Army to carry out the operation
  3. Rahbar company of SSG were dropped from the Minarets and into the courtyard. Snipers took out key targets, then filled the courtyard with water and electrocuted all standing there (i.e. burned them)

Much of the operation is still classified but many have speculated that either Pakistan Army shot (and then let him burn) OR Saudees asked the Pakistanees to do so because the same operation successfully arrested Juhayman and 60+ others. Saudees did not want a cult situation at their hands so they wanted him dead!

In simpler words, why was the order given for the sniper to take out Muhammad bin abd Allah al-Qahtani and then why was he allowed to burn? SSG snipers do not act without orders.

Since much of it is classified, I end this with...

Allah Ta'ala knows best

P.S: One disagreement with you, I am speaking of Muhammad bin abd Allah al-Qahtani (i.e. false Mahdi) and you are referring to Juhaymaan (which Pakistan Army did not kill!)

No post ratings

Quick Reply

CAPTCHA - As you are a guest, you are required to answer the following:

In the above image: What colour is the text 'Remote' written in?