You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
Taalibah, Abu Suliman, ibn Ismail, Naqshband66
Rank Image
London
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 10th February 2015 18:46
When I went abroad a few years ago (Pakistan) my kids weren't able to settle down properly as they didn't really like the food. We would have to go out and buy them frozen food to cook at home.

Anyways, brother Muadh's post today brought back memories.

We were sitting to eat and we were served a dish with chapati (roti). My daughter about 2/3 years at the time, wasn't fond of the roti there so she simply wouldn't eat.

She kept saying, "I don't like this roti". My father in law felt really sorry for her and kept trying everything possible to cheer her up. Eventually he said to her, "If you don't want this roti, if you think it's too chewy, do you want 'Double Roti'"?

Upon hearing this my son cracked up and couldn't stop laughing. He said, "Is he for real, she can't eat a single roti and he's asking her for a double roti"?

Everyone laughed at the joke, but my father in law was for real, he actually meant it wholeheartedly.

Till now 5/6 years later, my son and daughter still look back at the incident and call it the funniest thing ever.

And ever since, they keep asking me why it's called a double roti!

Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

report post quote code quick quote reply
+12 -0Like x 7Winner x 1Creative x 2
Rank Image
London
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 10th February 2015 19:00
In another incident in India this time, my uncle (Pakistani born) once visited my dad's side of the family, where they served him with food. Whilst eating, the host (my grandfather) said to him, (in Gujarati) "Do you want Pau"? To which he replied, (in Urdu) "No thanks, I have my Pau already"

Everyone one cracked up except him because he didn't know that "Pau" which also means "Feet" in Urdu, actually means "Bread" in India/Gujarat.

He has grown old and still remembers the incident from his very young age.

Bread now is double roti and pau!
+5 -0Like x 4Creative x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 10th February 2015 19:36
Interesting lol

On a side note, the chapati/roti size varies between the Indian Gujrati community and the Pakistani Punjabi community, with the latter it being more big and wide and with the former it being more smaller and also very thin.

Also I don't know about now, but the bread available back home also commonly referred to as 'double roti', tastes sweet.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 10th February 2015 20:48
Honest question to all, WHY is it called double roti?

Seriously, they don't call it "Double Toast" now, do they? They call it toast right!
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 10th February 2015 23:18
Masha'Allah :)
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 11th February 2015 03:09
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

ٱلسَّلَامُ عَلَيكُم وَرَحمَةُٱللَّهِ وَ بَرَكَاتُه

Though I live in an environment with Rotis, double Rotis and even Papa Rotis(implying father of buns, which came after its' offspring! ; )) I don't remember ever asking this question

I got a push through your funny posts مَاشَآءَٱللَّه, and asked my dad. He replied with his opinion and experience about double roti basically is for distincvtion from roti and besides that more flour is used and is larger from a single roti.

PS: The papa roti originated in south east Asia, as far as I know, and has recently been known to me, there are also names of bread shops here in Karachi by the name of roti boy, and even mama roti, it's hilarious!
+2 -0Like x 1Creative x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 11th February 2015 17:43
When I first went to Pakistan, I went to my mum's side of the family. For a few days we ate normal roti and tandoori roti. I really liked the tandoori roti. Anyways, then one day they asked me by chance which roti I'd prefer. The options were roti or double roti.

In my infinite wisdom, I said 'double roti' thinking that it was the tandoori roti due to its size. They asked me if I was sure and I confirmed.

Dinner was served and everyone was getting their tandoori roti, then I was passed a loaf of bread :( I was shocked and said I didn't ask for bread, I wanted what they got - double roti.

My kids and I want an answer and there seems to be no logical and acceptable answer.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 12th February 2015 04:20
ٱلسَّلَامُ عَلَيكُم وَرَحمَةُٱللَّهِ وَ بَرَكَاتُه

Actually in my encounters with family, freinds and roti sellers (naan walay bhai), the roti is almost always called chapaati, and the tandoori roti called the naan.

It (calling some Rotis, double roti)seems to be a convention. An example is of the phenomenon termed as electromotive force. In my Physics book it's stated;

1423714720808.jpg
Downloads: 102
    [1032.01 kB]
+4 -0Like x 1Creative x 3
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 12th February 2015 10:22
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

Double roti itself don't know that why it is called as double roti. May be its parents named it as double roti similar to pathans who name their children as Samandar Khan, Pareshaan Khan, Darya Khan etc :] No one can tell that why their names are like this. lol
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 28th December 2018 11:00
Another thing!

Toast.....my kids wanted toast for breakfast so my father in-law went out and picked up some toast. My kids were looking at me as if he'd just popped out for a few seconds to put the bread in a toaster somewhere.

Anyway, he came back and gave the kids what they call "toast" but as far as we were concerned, that wasn't toast at all, it was a cake rusk biscuit.

My in-laws were again put into misery.

We explained that we get bread (double roti) and put it in a toaster, then once done we put butter, jam etc on it.

The thing is, they had all the stuff at home, like the jam, butter and bread and they would just spread it on the bread.

Eventually we had to go out shopping and buy a toaster.

The kids were finally able to eat toast as toast instead of cake rusk.

And ever since, the toaster sits there in Pakistan in a cupboard waiting for our return.

+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 28th December 2018 11:41

They didn't call it "papa" I'm surprised!
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 28th December 2018 11:50
I haven't even got to the famous breakfast yet! Halwa Puri....(with chick peas, salad and pickles)
My kids didn't expect to be eating spicy "Achar" for breakfast with a sweet dish :(
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 28th December 2018 11:54
bint e aisha wrote:
View original post

Yep, if they asked my kids if they wanted to eat papa for breakfast, they would never want to see them again since it's another word for father. (We don't use the word abbu since we weren't raised that way. My dad is Gujarati, so dads are called papa, poppa and so on)

:)
+1 -0Creative x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 28th December 2018 12:06
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

We call our father baba! I used to laugh at my Gujrati friends who would call their father pappa.
No post ratings
Rank Image
India
Brother
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 29th December 2018 05:02
Assalamua'laikum

read on some blog

Quote:
The name ‘Double roti’ however comes from the fact that when British introduced sandwiches in India, the natives called it ‘Double roti’ as it had meat and vegetables stuffed inside two slices of bread. The term later became popular for any kind of baked bread, whether stuffed or not.

Regards
MFaiz
+3 -0