Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
sweetmuslimahk1, Taqwah, Seifeddine-M, abu mohammed
Rank Image
London
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 20th January 2012 13:27

The original Qibla, Masjid al-Aqsa

The floor underneath the present mosque is regarded to be the site of the original al-Aqsa mosque. This area underground is believed to be the original qibla to where Muslims initially prayed. It is in the opposite direction of the present qibla in Makkah.

- During his time in Makkah, the Prophet Muhammed (s.a.w.) used to pray towards Bait-al-Maqdis (Jerusalem), with the Ka'bah in front of him. When he migrated to Madinah, he prayed towards Jerusalem for 16 months, but he hoped it would be changed to the Ka'bah.

- Allah سبحانه وتعالى then revealed the following verse in the Holy Quran in Surah al-Baqarah:

"Verily, We have seen the turning of your (Muhammed's) face towards the heaven. Surely, We shall turn you to a Qiblah (prayer direction) that shall please you, so turn your face in the direction of Al-Masjid Al-Haram (at Makkah). And wheresoever you people are, turn your faces (in prayer) in that direction." [2:144 ]

- During Dhuhr prayer or it was said that it was Asr, the Prophet (s.a.w.) had led his Companions in praying two rak'ahs , when he was commanded to face towards the Ka'bah, so he turned around towards the Ka'bah. The mosque where he offered this prayer became known as the mosque of the Two Qiblahs ( Masjid Al-Qiblatain). It uniquely contains two mihrabs, one in the direction of Bait-al-Maqdis and the other towards Makkah. This took place halfway through the month of Rajab in 2 AH, two months before the great battle of Badr.

- While it was a day of joy for the Muslims, it was a day of mourning for the Jews. The Muslims had now become completely independent of them and a prophecy in their old books had been fulfilled that the last of the great prophets would change the orientation of the religion of Allah from Jerusalem to the Ancient House of Ebrahim عليه السلام. Their elders went as a body to the Prophet (s.a.w.) and said that if he would change his orientation back to Jerusalem, then they would follow him. Allah سبحانه وتعالى revealed in the Holy Quran in Surah al-Baqarah:

- “And even if thou broughtest unto those who have received the Scriptures all kinds of portents, they would not follow thy qiblah, nor canst thou be a follower of their qiblah; nor are some of them followers of the qiblah of others. And if thou shouldst follow their desires after the knowledge which has come unto thee, then surely wert thou of the evil doers.” [2:145]

References:
TheTrueCall.com;
geocities.com/mutmainaa
The life of Muhammad – Tahia Al-Ismail

report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 20th January 2012 13:29
Youtube Video
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 20th January 2012 13:32
Underneath the present al-Aqsa mosque

The stone pillars on the right are believed by some to have been erected by jinnat in the time of Prophet Sulaiman عليه السلام. The small mihrab is regarded to be the place where Mariam عليه السلام used to receive out of season fruits when she was pregnant with Prophet Isa عليه السلام.

- In Surah Saba' of the Holy Quran Allah سبحانه وتعالى mentions: "There were jinn that worked under his supervision by the leave of his Lord, and if any of them deviated from Our command, We made him taste of the Penalty of Blazing Fire. They worked for him as he desired, (making) arches, statues, basins as large as reservoirs, and (cooking) cauldrons fived (in their places): 'Work , family of Dawud, with thanks! But few of My slaves are grateful!" [34:12-13]

- There is an adjacent room which contains a grille (shown inset) through which you can see the floor below where oil was burnt to heat the mosque Maymunah bint Sa'd (r.a.) relates that she asked the Prophet (s.a.w.), "O Prophet (s.a.w.)! Inform us about Bayt al-Maqdis (Jerusalem)". He said, "Visit it for prayer". She further asked, "If one of us cannot visit it, what shall we do"? He (s.a.w.) said, "If you cannot go for prayer then send some oil to be used in its lamps; whosoever gives oil for its lamps, it will be as if he has prayed in it". [Imam Ahmad, Ibn Majah, Sunan Abu Dawud and al-Tabarani]

- Jewish tradition holds that the site upon which al-Aqsa Mosque was constructed originally housed the Temple of Jerusalem. The destruction of the First Temple, known as the Temple of Solomon, is attributed to the Babylonians in 587 BCE., and there are no physical remains attesting to its presence or structure. Building of the Second Temple began during the rule of the Persian king Cyrus the Great, but this temple was destroyed by the Roman Emperor (then General) Titus in 70 CE. All that remains of it is the Western Wall, which is thought to be a remnant of this second temple's platform.

References:
Forty Ahadith concerning Masjid al-Aqsa - Ismail Adam Patel
Al-Quds - Mohammed Abdul Hameed AL-Khateeb
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 20th January 2012 13:35
Mihrab of Masjid al-Aqsa

This marble structure is the mihrab of the present al-Aqsa mosque. The mimbar (pulpit) on the right was donated by the Jordanian government after the original (which was a gift from Salahuddin Ayyubi) was destroyed in a fire started by a fanatical zionist in 1967.

- Masjid al-Aqsa is the second house of Allah created on earth: Abu Dharr (r.a.) reported that he asked the Prophet (s.a.w.) "O Prophet of Allah, which Masjid was built first on earth"? The Prophet (saw) replied, "The Sacred Masjid of Makkah". Abu Dharr (r.a.) again asked, "Which was next"? The Prophet (saw) said, "The Masjid al-Aqsa". Abu Dharr (r.a.) further asked "How long was the period between the building of the two Masajid"? The Prophet (saw) said, "Forty years". Apart from these, offer your prayers anywhere when it is time to pray, although excellence is in praying in these Masajid". [Sahih al-Bhukari]

- When the Crusaders captured Jerusalem in 1099 CE, Masjid al-Aqsa was desecrated. Pigs were installed in the sanctuary (mihrab), and a church was erected in place of one of it's oratories. Imad Eddin (Salahuddin's biographer) speaks of the mihrab of the mosque being full of pigs and excrement.

- In around 1119 CE, King Baldwin II of Jerusalem granted one wing to the newly formed Knights Templar order and the building became their headquarters.

- The original mimbar, considered one of the most beautiful in the world, was made of over 10,000 interlocking pieces of Cedar and other wood, ivory and mother of pearl affixed without a drop of glue or a single nail. After the reconquest of Jerusalem Masjid al-Aqsa was filled for Jumma prayers for the first time in 88 years, people wept with emotion as the Qadi of Jerusalem, Muhyi ad-Din al-Qurashi mounted the new pulpit.

References:
AtlasTours.com
Wikipedia
A history of Jerusalem - Karen Armstrong
The Crusades - S.E. Al-Djazairi
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 20th January 2012 13:44
Youtube Video
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 20th January 2012 13:45
Masjid al-Aqsa is no ordinary masjid. The Prophet (s.a.w.) dedicated a great deal of his life nurturing the Sahabah (Companions) to appreciate the excellent qualities of Masjid al-Aqsa. Some of the reasons why Masjid al-Aqsa should form an important aspect of a believer's dedication is that it is:

•The first qiblah for Muslims;
•The station of al-Isra and al-Mi'raj;
•The second house of Allah built on earth;
•The place where hundreds of Messengers of Allah سبحانه وتعالى are buried;
•The place where many Sahabah are buried;
•A place where miracles were shown by Allah's will;
•A place which Allah سبحانه وتعالى Himself calls a 'blessed place';
•Referred to directly and indirectly, 70 times in the Holy Quran;
•The place where angels have descended with Allah's message;
•The only place on earth where all the Messengers of Allah prayed at the same time led by the Prophet Muhammed (s.a.w.)
•The only Masjid mentioned by name in the Holy Quran apart from the Ka'bah

- Most religious Jews regard entry into the Sanctuary (which they call the Temple Mount) as a violation of Jewish law. This restriction is based on the belief that even though the Temple (of Solomon) was destroyed centuries ago, the precise location of the Holy of Holies, the sanctuary that was once entered by the High Priest, is not known. Hence the restriction is applied to the entire compound. They feel that the Temple should only be built after the coming of their Messiah, and it is their belief that it would be presumptuous of people to force God's hand. However, there are several Jewish groups who differ from this opinion. Many Evangelical Christians consider it to be a prerequisite to Armageddon and the Second Coming (of Jesus), and both are actively encouraging the rebuilding of the Temple on the al-Aqsa Sanctuary.

References:
Forty Ahadith concerning Masjid al-Aqsa - Ismail Adam Patel
Wikipedia
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 20th January 2012 13:49

Buraq masjid

This small structure, on the south-west corner of the al-Aqsa Sanctuary is believed to be the place where the Prophet Muhammed (s.a.w.) tied the Buraq, the winged riding animal upon which he rode during the Night of Ascension. The wall on the right is the other side of what the Jews call the Wailing Wall.

- It is narrated on the authority of Anas bin Malik (r.a.) that the Prophet (saw) said, "I was brought al-Buraq who is an animal white and long, larger than a donkey but smaller than a mule, who would place his hoof a distance equal to the range of vision. I mounted it and came to Bayt al-Maqdis. I tethered it to the ring used by the prophets. I entered the mosque and prayed two rak'ahs in it, and then came out and Jibraeel brought me a vessel of wine and a vessel of milk. I chose the milk, and Jibraeel said: You have chosen the natural thing. Then he took me to heaven. Jibraeel then asked the (gate of heaven) to be opened and he was asked who he was. He replied: Jibraeel. He was again asked: Who is with you? He (Jibraeel) said: Muhammed (s.a.w.). It was said: Has he been sent for? Jibraeel replied: He has indeed been sent for. And (the door of the heaven) was opened for us and lo! we saw Adam عليه السلام. He welcomed me and prayed for my good. Then we ascended to the second heaven. Jibraeel asked for the door of heaven to be opened, and he was asked who he was. He answered: Jibraeel; and was again asked: Who is with you? He replied: Muhammed (s.a.w.) It was said: Has he been sent for? He replied: He has indeed been sent for. The gate was opened. When I entered 'Isa bin Maryam and Yahya bin Zakariya عليه السلام, cousins from the maternal side, welcomed me and prayed for my good Then I was taken to the third heaven and Jibraeel asked for the opening (of the door). He was asked: Who are you? He replied: Jibraeel. He was (again) asked: Who is with you? He replied Muhammed (s.a.w.). It was said: Has he been sent for? He replied He has indeed been sent for. (The gate) was opened for us and I saw Yusuf عليه السلام who had been given half of (world) beauty. He welcomed me and prayed for my well-being. Then he ascended with us to the fourth heaven. Jibraeel asked for the (gate) to be opened, and it was said: Who is he? He replied: Jibraeel. It was (again) said: Who is with you? He said: Muhammad (s.a.w.). It was said: Has he been sent for? He replied: He has indeed been sent for. The (gate) was opened for us, and lo! Idris عليه السلام was there. He welcomed me and prayed for my well-being (About him) Allah, the Exalted and the Glorious, has said:" We elevated him (Idris) to the exalted position" [19: 57]. Then he ascended with us to the fifth heaven and Jibraeel asked for the (gate) to be opened. It was said: Who is he? He replied Jibraeel. It was (again) said: Who is with thee? He replied: Muhammed (s.a.w.). It was said Has he been sent for? He replied: He has indeed been sent for. (The gate) was opened for us and then I was with Harun عليه السلام. He welcomed me prayed for my well-being. Then I was taken to the sixth heaven. Jibraeel asked for the door to be opened. It was said: Who is he? He replied: Jibraeel. It was said: Who is with thee? He replied: Muhammed (s.a.w.). It was said: Has he been sent for? He replied: He has indeed been sent for. (The gate) was opened for us and there I was with Musa عليه السلام He welcomed me and prayed for my well-being. Then I was taken up to the seventh heaven. Jibraeel asked the (gate) to be opened. It was said: Who is he? He said: Jibraeel. It was said. Who is with thee? He replied: Muhammed (s.a.w.) It was said: Has he been sent for? He replied: He has indeed been sent for. (The gate) was opened for us and there I found Ibrahim عليه السلام reclining against the Bait-ul-Ma'mur and there enter into it 70,000 angels every day, never to visit (this place) again. Then I was taken to Sidrat-ul-Muntaha whose leaves were like elephant ears and its fruit like big earthenware vessels. And when it was covered by the Command of Allah, it underwent such a change that none amongst the creation has the power to praise its beauty. Then Allah revealed to me a revelation and He made obligatory for me fifty prayers every day and night. Then I went down to Musa عليه السلام and he said: What has your Lord enjoined upon your Ummah? I said: Fifty prayers. He said: Return to thy Lord and beg for reduction (in the number of prayers), for your community shall not be able to bear this burden as I have put to test the Children of Israel and tried them (and found them too weak to bear such a heavy burden). The Prophet (s.a.w.) said: I went back to my Lord and said: My Lord, make things lighter for my Ummah. (The Lord) reduced five prayers for me. I went down to Musa عليه السلام and said. (The Lord) reduced five (prayers) for me, He said: Verily thy Ummah shall not be able to bear this burden; return to thy Lord and ask Him to make things lighter. I then kept going back and forth between my Lord, Blessed and Exalted and Musa عليه السلام, till He said: There are five prayers every day and night. O Muhammed, each being credited as ten, so that makes fifty prayers. He who intends to do a good deed and does not do it will have a good deed recorded for him; and if he does it, it will be recorded for him as ten; whereas he who intends to do an evil deed and does not do, it will not be recorded for him; and if he does it, only one evil deed will be recorded. I then came down and when I came to Musa عليه السلام and informed him, he said: Go back to thy Lord and ask Him to make things lighter. Upon this the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.) remarked: I returned to my Lord until I felt ashamed before Him."

References:
Sahih Muslim
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 20th January 2012 13:51
The Dome of the Rock

The Dome of the Rock (Qubbatus Saqqara) is often mistaken to be the al-Aqsa mosque. This structure was built by Caliph Abd al-Malik from 688 to 691 CE and houses the sacred rock from which the Prophet Muhammed (s.a.w.) ascended to heaven (Mi'raj) after the night journey to Jerusalem (Isra').

- When the Crusaders took over Jerusalem, the Dome of the Rock mosque was re-named Templum Domini and had a cross placed on top of the golden dome. The al-Aqsa mosque was re-named Templum Solomonis. This Kingdom was to last eighty-seven years, during which time neither Jew nor Muslim was allowed to dwell within the walls of the city.

- Ibn Kathir (r.a.) writes in his book Kamil at-Tawarikh (The Perfect History) of the scene when the Muslims recaptured Jerusalem from the Crusaders:

- "...At the top of the cupola of the Dome of the Rock there was a great gilded cross. When the Muslims entered the city on the Friday, some of them climbed the top of the cupola to take down the cross......a great cry went up from the city and from outside the walls, the Muslims crying 'Allahu-akbar' in their joy, the Franks groaning in consternation and grief. So loud and piercing was the cry that the earth shook. ...Saladin ordered that the shrines should be restored to their original state. The Templers had built their living quarters against al-Aqsa, with storerooms and latrines...This was all restored to its former state. The Sultan ordered that the Dome of the Rock should be cleansed of all pollution, and this was done..."

- The beautiful external tile work which can be seen today was commissioned by Sulayman II Qanuni (the Lawgiver), known throughout Europe as Sulayman the Magnificent. With the incomparable skills of Persian master ceramicists, 40,000 tiles were fired and put into place, crowned by the inscription of Surah Yasin, the 36th chapter and regarded as the heart of the Quran.

References:
Palestine: Beginner's guide - Ismail Adam Patel
Al-Quds - Mohammed Abdul Hameed Al-Khateeb
The Crusades - Christine Hatt
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 20th January 2012 17:45
Source

Quote:
- During Dhuhr prayer or it was said that it was Asr, the Prophet (s.a.w.) had led his Companions in praying two rak'ahs , when he was commanded to face towards the Ka'bah, so he turned around towards the Ka'bah. The mosque where he offered this prayer became known as the mosque of the Two Qiblahs ( Masjid Al-Qiblatain). It uniquely contains two mihrabs, one in the direction of Bait-al-Maqdis and the other towards Makkah. This took place halfway through the month of Rajab in 2 AH, two months before the great battle of Badr.

I need to look into this, as I have heard that this may not be correct. Allahu Allum.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 25th June 2012 22:38

A Visit to Jerusalem

Al-Aqsa Mosque _____________
_____________ Dome of the Rock

April 2012

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehudsou...7629975993090/

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehudsou...57629975993090

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehudsou...7629975993090

+1 -0Like x 1
UK
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 26th June 2012 08:00
Salam, don't you mean the ' first' qiblah?
Original comes contrary to, making the Ka'bah, unoriginal. Just wording preference I guess.

Jazakallah for posting these.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 19th January 2013 00:38
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 16th February 2013 12:10
+1 -0Creative x 1

Quick Reply

CAPTCHA - As you are a guest, you are required to answer the following:

In the above image: What colour is the text 'Remote' written in?