Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Makkah, Madinah, History, Museum Pictures & Video inside the Kabah

Jump to page:

You have contributed 1.6% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
muslimah101, queenie, amelita, rizmalek, sweetmuslimahk1, Yasin, abu mohammed, Seifeddine-M, ummi taalib, member2, Cloudy, icedude786, Taalibah, Acacia, Jinn, AishaZaynap, abuzayd2k
163 guests appreciate this topic.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#316 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2013 09:46
Valley of Qanaat وادى قنات

This valley runs from Taif through to Aaqool near Madinah and then enters Madinah from the north-eastern district and passes near Mount Rumah and flows towards Ghabah (Khulail) where it meets its end. It is also known as "Waadi Shazah". The tribe of Banu Haarithah and Banu Abdal Ash'hal populated its southern banks just east of the plains of Uhud.

Waadi Qanaat passed on both sides of Mount Rumah in such a way that Mount Rumah was in the middle of this valley. The graves of Hamzah (RA), his foster brother Abdullah bin Jahsh (RA) and Mus'ab bin Umaiar (RA) were on the northern bank of this valley. In the period of Muawiyyah (RA) the water level of the water rose and its flow became fierce. This posed a danger to the graves. The blessed bodies of these martyrs were exhumed and reburied at a safer spot, now within the enclosure of the cemetery of the martyrs . The northern meander of this valley, which passed north of Mount Rumah was present up to recently. In view of further distancing the graves from the valley and to widen the plain between Mount Rumah and the cemetery to further accommodate visitors, the Saudi Govenment filled and blocked the northern meander only leaving the southern meander open.

"Pictorial History of Madinah Munawwarah" by Dr. Muhammad Ilyas Abdul Ghani
report post quote code quick quote reply
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#317 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2013 09:54
The Dam of Aaqool & the Fire of Hijaz

The dam is an important recreational area of the people of Madinah. After rainfall, the valley of Qanaat flows and millions of cubic meters of its waters gather at the Aaqool Dam. It is a fascinating view; water as far as the eye can see. Experts say that Aaqool has the largest store of underground water in Madinah.

The formation of the Aaqool Dam is linked to the historically significant "Fire of Hijaz". The Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam professed of the Fire of Hijaz, which was witnessed in 654 A.H. This fire threw volcanic lava and rocks into the Valley of Qanaat, blocking the water flow and forming a natural dam. In 690 A.H. water gradually eroded through the dam and the valley once again began to flow. Effects of the Fire of HIjaz; basalt and black rocks are still visible today at the site of the dam.

The Fire of Hijaz

Allah's Apostle sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam said, "The Hour will not be established till a fire will come out of the land of Hijaz, and it will throw light on the necks of the camels at Busra." Sahih Bukhari Hadith no. 7118

He further stated; "The Hour will not be established till a valley of the land of Hijaz will not flow with fire, throwing light on the necks of the camels at Busra." Fath ul Bari 13/80

Busra (Vowel led "u" not "a") i.e. a city between Tabuk and Syria, not the city of Basra in Iraq.

Allamah Samhoudi states, "The fire mentioned in this hadith appeared in 654 A.H. This fire was visible from Makkah, Yanbu, Taimaa and Busra. This proved that it was the very 'Fire of Hijaz' which the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam had foretold so that the people may take heed.

Allamah ibn Hjar states, "The fire referred to in this hadith is the one witnessed on the outskirts of Madinah as is explained by Qurtubi and others"

Allamah Qastalani
(who was in Makkah at the time of the fire) states, "On the day of Friday in the afternoon this fire rose and the skies were blackened with its smoke and darkness prevailed. By night its flames could be seen. The fire looked like a big city south east of Madinah. It moved to Banu Quraidhah then spread to the east and finally went into Waadi Qanaat.

It moved on the surface of the ground pulverizing and melting mountains and rocks which stood in its path. Its flames were like towering mountains and extended ranges, throwing molten rocks in to the air like waves of the sea. It would move like a storm in the ocean. Its sound was like thunder of lightening. It lasted for three months so that people may take heed and fear the fire of the Hereafter.

This fire was visible from Makkah, Yanbu, the mountains of Sayah and Taimu, and Busra. It drove a large river of molten rock into the waadi which gathered at its end forming a natural dam. When water flowed in to the waadi it gathered at this dam in huge quantities until it formed a sea of water as far as the eye could see. In 690 A.H. the force of water gradually broke its way through the dam making it flow normally once again".

The Saudi Government built a number of dams on the river of Qanaat at Aaqool to efficiently utilise its water for agriculture and to protect Madinah from flood in case of over flow.

"Pictorial History of Madinah Munawwarah" by Dr. Muhammad Ilyas Abdul Ghani

+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#318 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2013 13:49

A fire in Hijaz (Arabia) that lights up the necks of the camels in Busra
Abu Hurairah reported that the Messenger of Allah said, "The Hour will not be established until a fire comes out from the earth of Hijaz that lights up the necks of the camels of Busra." [Sahih Muslim no. 2902 in Kitab-ul-fitan].

Busra according to an-Nawawi (Commentary on Sahih Muslim, Vol. 18 p.30) is a city known to be in Syria (Sham) that is three stations in journey between Damascus and itself. This is one of those great signs that has been truthfully reported by trustworthy sources to have already taken place just as the Messenger of Allah had informed. It happened 640 years after Muhammad (s.a.w.)'s prophesy!

Ibn Kathir talks about this in his history book as one of the events of the year 654 (1260 CE). He said, "In it was the appearance of the fire from the earth of Hijaz that lighted up the necks of the camels in Busra, just as the report tells us about that in Bukhari and Muslim (muttafaq 'alaihi). The great scholar (shaikh, imam, allamah and hafiz) Shihab-ud-Din Abu Shamah al-Maqdisi elaborates on the statement in his book "Adh-Dhayl wa Sharhuhu" and presents a widely-reported narration (mutawatir) from many books about this fire in Hijaz that has been definitely witnessed in Damascus; how it emerged and related matters."

Abu Shamah lived during the time it happened. He clearly and precisely talks about the dates and how eyewitnesses reliably informed him about it. They were in their houses that night and it was as if every single home had a lamp (lighting it up). He mentions detailed reports about it from quite a number of sources. A great light appeared in Medina on Thursday night on the 3rd of Jumada al-Akhirah in the year 654 (13th century). Then there was a massive earthquake that shook the earth, trees and the houses right down to their roofs and doors. This happened repeatedly until Friday and then a huge fire appeared in the Harrah near Quraizah. People saw it from their homes in town as if the fire was with them. Its flames were higher than three pillars (lighthouses) put together. Its fire flowed towards the Shadh valley like water and blocked it and other paths and highways. Many people were afraid that they would be overcome by it. It (the lava) flowed east. From its centre large boulders or fire came out that consumed rocks. It was like a specimen of what Allah told us in His book, the Quran:

"Indeed it throws about sparks (huge) as Forts, As if there were (a string of) yellow camels (marching swiftly)." [Chapter al-Mursalaat, Verse 32-33]

Abu Shamah described from these sources how the eruption spread across the land and was visible from far away. The main part of it was like a huge red mountain. The fire appeared from the east of Medina about a half-day's journey away. It exploded from the earth and rivers of fire flowed from it that were four miles wide and four farsakh long. People were completely at a loss as to what they should do. At first the lava was red and then congealed into black masses. The sun and the moon were obscured and darkness prevailed.

Some talked about this in light of the result of sinfulness and oppression and the need to come closer to Allah through obedience. Others mentioned how people repented en masse and were put off from eating and drinking.

The Hadith:
Bukhari: 9.234:
Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle said,
"The Hour will not be established till a fire will come out of the land of Hijaz, and it will throw light on the necks of the camels at Busra."

From Global Volcanism Program website: http://www.volcano.si.edu/world/volcano.cfm?vnum=0301-07=

Saudi Arabia's largest lava field, 20,000 sq km Harrat Rahat extends for 300 km south of the holy city of Al Madinah (Medina). Four coalescing lava fields erupted from offset NNW-trending vent systems comprise Harrat Rahat, which has an average width of 60 km. Lava flows extend as far as 100 km west of the axis of the field. Basaltic scoria cones dominate Harrat Rahat, but the volcanic field has also produced more silicic trachy-basaltic to trachytic rocks. Small shield volcanoes and pelean-type lava domes with associated pyroclastic-flow and -surge deposits are also present. Activity has migrated to the north, resulting in eruptions in historical time near Madinah. The best-known eruption took place in 1256 AD, when a 0.5 cu km lava flow erupted from six aligned scoria cones and traveled 23 km to within 4 km of Madinah.

Another miracle is that the lava turned when it reached the city of Madina and flowed uphill.

The satellite image of the old volcanic flow (blackish earth), which clearly deviates when it is near Madina

+2 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#319 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2013 13:57
Hamza Yusuf explaining how the above mentioned prophesy of Rasoolullah (saw) became true.

Halalified YT Audio
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#320 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2013 21:10
WELLS OF MADINAH MUNAWWARAH

According to Dr Muhammad Ilyas Abdul Ghani there are seven historically significant wells of Madinah.
Mufti Muhammad Faruq says in "Women's Guide in Madinah Munawwarah" almost all the wells are either covered up with no signs remaining or entry is restricted

بئر رَوْمَة

Well of Rawmah

(or Well of Uthmaan Radhiyallaahu 'anhu)

Entry is restricted

Plantation near the well

It is located at a distance of 3.5 km from Masjid Nabawi and 1 km from Masjid Qiblatain in the suburb of Azhariy on the banks of the Valley of Aqeeq.

When the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam migrated to Madinah there was no readily available drinking water except from the well of Rawmah which was owned by a member of Madina's Jewish community who used to charge a high price for the water.

The Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam said, "He who buys the well of Rawmah for the Muslims shall be rewarded with that which is better in the Hereafter."

Uthman Radhiyallaahu 'anhu purchased the well for a high price and made the water available for free to the people of Madina. Visitors are not allowed access.

The Well

Masjid near the well
+3 -0Like x 3
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#321 [Permalink] Posted on 16th November 2013 10:22
بئر اريس

Well of Arees

This well was located to the east of Masjid Quba. At the end of the 14th century Hijri it was buried in view of plans to widen the road. Its water was extremely sweet and exquisite. In various narrations it is mentioned that the reason for this is that the Prophet 's sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam mubarak saliva was mixed with the water. Before this incident the water had no traces of sweetness.

Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam once sat on its edge with the lower part of his legs uncovered, dangling in the well. The following Hadith from Bukhari describes the wonderful scene.

It is related from Abu Musa al-Ash'ari that he did wudu' in his house and then went out. [He said,] "I said, 'I will stay close to the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, and be with him on this day.'" He said, "He went to the mosque and asked where the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, was and they said, 'He went there,' indicating the direction he had gone. I followed after him asking about him until he entered the Well of Aris. I sat at the gate, which was made of palm branches, until the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, had finished his need and was doing wudu'. I went up to him and he was sitting at the Well of Aris on the middle of the rim with his legs uncovered dangling into the well. I greeted him and then went and sat at the gate. I said, 'I will be the doorkeeper of the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, today.'

Abu Bakr came and knocked at the door. I said, 'Who is it?' He said, 'Abu Bakr.' I said, 'Hold on!' I went and said, 'Messenger of Allah, it is Abu Bakr asking permission to come in.' He said, 'Let him in and give him the good news of the Garden.' I went and said to Abu Bakr, 'Enter and the Messenger of Allah gives you the good news of the Garden.' Abu Bakr went in and sat at the right side of the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, on the rim and dangled his feet in the well as the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, had done, uncovering his legs.

Then I went back and sat down. I had left my brother at home doing wudu' intending to join me. I said, 'If Allah desires good for someone' - meaning his brother - 'He will bring him.' Then a man moved the gate and I said, 'Who is it?' He said, ''Umar ibn al-Khattab.' I said, 'Hold on!' Then I went to the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, and greeted him and said, 'It is 'Umar asking permission to come in.' He said, 'Let him in and give him the good news of the Garden.' I went to 'Umar and said, 'Enter and the Messenger of Allah gives you the good news of the Garden.' 'Umar went in and sat at the left side of the Prophet* on the rim and dangled his feet in the well like the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace.

Then I went back and sat down. I said, 'If Allah desires good for someone' - meaning his brother - 'He will bring him.' Then a man moved the gate and I asked, 'Who is it?' He said, ''Uthman ibn 'Affan.' I said, 'Hold on!' Then I went to the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, and told him. He said, 'Let him in and give him the good news of the Garden as well as an affliction which will befall him.' I came and said, 'Enter and the Messenger of Allah gives you the good news of the Garden as well as an affliction which will befall you.' He entered and found the rim fully occupied, so he sat opposite them on the other side." Sa'id ibn al-Musayyab said, "I interpreted it as their graves."

This well is also known as the Well of Khaatam (Ring). The silver ring of the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam bearing the seal which he used was worn by the first Khalifah, Abu Bakr (Radhiyallaahu 'anhu) after the demise of the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam. Thereafter it was worn by 'Umar (Radhiyallaahu 'anhu). It was then worn by Uthmaan (Radhiyallaahu 'anhu) and while he was sitting at the well of Arees, it fell out of his hand in to the well. For three day the Muslims continuously searched for it, eventually emptying the water yet to no avail.

The ring was lost! To think that it still lies at this place!

An old picture of the Well of Khaatam

+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
nyc
Brother
#322 [Permalink] Posted on 16th November 2013 13:50
ummi taalib wrote:
View original post

Mashallah.
I have two of these books" by Dr. Muhammad Ilyas Abdul Ghani
May allah reward him for his hard work. A must have book in any Muslim's library.

Jazakullah
+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#323 [Permalink] Posted on 16th November 2013 14:01
brooklynyte4ever wrote:
View original post

two books? is one of them on Makkah? I tried looking for it but couldn't find it online so I thought he had only one of madinah
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#324 [Permalink] Posted on 16th November 2013 19:30
بئر حا

Well of Haa

North of Masjid Nabawi was the Orchard of Abu Talha al-Ansari (Radhiyallaahu 'anhu) and in it was the Well of Haa. In 1994, during the second Saudi extension, it was included in the Masjid. Its position is a few metres to the left upon entering Masjid Nabawi through Door number 21.

Site of the Garden of Abu Talha (Radhiyallaahu 'anhu)

Anas bin Malik (Radhiyallaahu 'anahu) narrates: "Out of all the Ansaar living in Madinah, Abu Talha (Radhiyallaahu 'anhu) had the largest number of gardens and the most beloved of his property to him was the garden of Bir Haa which stood opposite the Prophet's Masjid. He sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam used to enter it and drink of its fine water.

When the verse; " By no means shall you attain righteousness unless you spend (in charity) of that which you love." (Surah Aal Imraa: 92) was revealed, Abu Talha (Radhiyallaahu 'anhu) got up and said, "O Allah's Apostle, Allah says, "By no means shall you attain righteousness unless you spend (in charity) of that which you love" and the most beloved of my property to me is the garden of Bir Haa, so I give it in Allah's cause and hope to receive good out of it and to have it stored for me with Allah. So O Allah's Apostle! Dispose of it in the way Allah orders you."

Allah's Apostle sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam said, "Bravo! That is a fruitful property! That is a fruitful property! I have heard what you have said and I think that you should distribute that (garden) amongst your relatives." Then Abu Talha (Radhiyallaahu 'anhu) distributed that garden amongst his relatives. (Bukhari)

"Pictorial History of Madinah Munawwarah" by Dr. MUhammad Ilyas Abdul Ghani
+3 -0Like x 3
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#325 [Permalink] Posted on 16th November 2013 19:45
بئر بُضاعَة

Well of Budha'ah

This well was located to the north of Saqeefah Banu Sa'eedah (Garden of Banu Sa'eedah). It belonged to the tribe of Banu Sa'eedah. The Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam used its water for ablution. It was removed during the development of the central area of Madinah.
Ref: "Pictorial History of Madinah Munawwarah" by Dr. Muhammad Ilyas Abdul Ghani

The Garden of Banu Sa'eedah with the Minaret of Masjid Nabawi in the background

From Al Miskeenah:

The Prophet SallAllahu alaihi wasallam used to visit Saqeefa, offering Salat there, sitting in the shade with his Companions. Sahl ibn Sa'd RadhiAllahu anhu drew water for him from a nearby well called Bir Budha'ah. This well existed just north of Saqeefa until the second Saudi extension of Masjid Nabawi.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#326 [Permalink] Posted on 16th November 2013 19:57
بئر سُقيا

Well of Suqya

Suqya was a land belonging to Sa'ad bin Abi Waqqas (Radhiyallaahu 'anhu).
It was located at Ambariyyah and part of it lies within the enclosure of the Hijaz Railway Station in Madinah.

Hijaz Railway Station in Madinah

Masjid Suqya lies within the station. When the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) departed for the battle of Badr he stopped here, performed ablution and offered Salah. He then supplicated for the dwellers of Madinah and paraded his forces.

Masjid Suqya (Picture on the left is from within the Railway Station)

The Well of Suqya also belonged to Sa'ad bin Abi Waqqas (Radhiyallaahu 'anhu). The well was buried in plans to widen the road. Its approximate location is to the south of Masjid Suqya, just outside the boundary wall of the railway station. On his way to the battle of Badr Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam performed ablution with water which was drawn from it for him to drink.
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
nyc
Brother
#327 [Permalink] Posted on 16th November 2013 20:16
ummi taalib wrote:
View original post

Inshallah I'll check the names
No post ratings
Rank Image
nyc
Brother
#328 [Permalink] Posted on 17th November 2013 00:23
ummi taalib wrote:
View original post

I have found only one book by Dr muhammad Ilyas Abdul ghani on madinah history. I can't find the other one on Makkah history .inshallah I will post the book cover pic when I find it. I also have two other similar books on the history of madinah by Khalid muhammad hamed. All three of them I bought in madinah years ago.
image.jpg
Downloads: 56
    [1685.89 kB]
image.jpg
Downloads: 46
    [1901.46 kB]
No post ratings
Rank Image
nyc
Brother
#329 [Permalink] Posted on 17th November 2013 00:25
The third book
image.jpg
Downloads: 68
    [1901.46 kB]
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#330 [Permalink] Posted on 17th November 2013 00:50
I've also got a few books on the history of Makkah, Madinah, al-Baqi etc etc but the information I posted in the earlier parts of the thread is amazing. Even the books I picked up from Madinah didn't have certain information in them.

The more we have the better inshaAllah.

Don't forget my favorite thread, "Secrets under the Green dome" absolutely beautiful.

www.muftisays.com/forums/36-nabi-s--sahaabah-stories/6653...
No post ratings
Back to top Post New Topic Reply

Jump to page:

Quick Reply

CAPTCHA - As you are a guest, you are required to answer the following:

In the above image: What part of the day is the background image (it's not day)?