Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Qibla Direction

Jump to page:

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
Taqwah, sweetmuslimahk1, Yasin, Seifeddine-M, Muadh_Khan, abu mohammed, muslimah101, Taalibah, abuzayd2k
4 guests appreciate this topic.
Rank Image
London
Brother
#16 [Permalink] Posted on 8th March 2012 17:03

It is a sad fact, but Sky Satellite dishes are very close to facing the Qiblah too. These can be used as a guide, astagfirullah.

Take a look at a satellite dish near your home (in London anyway), you will notice that it almost faces Qiblah. If thats the case, next time you are out and about, look out for Sky.

I once went on a job and I met a Lebanese friend a who installs satellites, he asked me if I wanted to join him for Salah, so I did. He asked me the direction and I told him that at this moment in time, I dont have anything that will help me, except for those dishes on the roof. At that moment, he gasped and said, "You know, I've been installing satellites for so long and I have noticed that too"
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#17 [Permalink] Posted on 8th March 2012 17:06
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#18 [Permalink] Posted on 9th March 2012 12:50
I just found this on sunniforum. I couldn't resist but to add it here.

The Comment below is regarding the satellite dishes.

Colonel_Hardstone wrote:
Asslamo Allaikum,

That is pretty much true for almost entire England, Wales and Scotland except Shetlands Islands where the SKY (Satellite dish) is almost facing straight upwards.

So I think that it is a Salafee thing as in the rest of UK they tell you "Allah is on the throne UPWARDS" but in the Shetlands Islands they make sure that everyone knows that Allah (SWT) is really really up there & they go out of their way to make a point & put up signs everywhere on the Island!
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#19 [Permalink] Posted on 9th March 2012 19:40
+1 -0Like x 1
UK
Brother
#20 [Permalink] Posted on 10th March 2012 00:18
abu mohammed wrote:
Some excellent work here too, MashaAllah.

central-mosque.com/index.php/Acts-of-Worship/qiblah-direc...

Very technical and detailed.

Much more for me to learn and practice. Brilliantly done.

Jazakallah.
That page is very well done mashaAllah. I've added it as the homepage announcement (chosen topics for homepage. Not sure what to call it yet)
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#21 [Permalink] Posted on 10th March 2012 00:39
MashaAllah, brother Muadh has done a great job there. I saw some of his posts today on.sunniforum as above, MashaAllah, very technical.

Oh and by the way, brother Muadh was quick to add Muftisays to his page. Alhumdulillah.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#22 [Permalink] Posted on 10th March 2012 11:11
Taken from the Sajdah Sahwa thread.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#23 [Permalink] Posted on 10th March 2012 11:47

http://central-mosque.com/index.php/Acts-of-Worship/qiblah-direction-basics.html

Ease in locating Qiblah

Shaykh (Mufti) Shafi Usmani (HA) explains that the rules of Shariah are based on ease and not on any philosophical technicalities. After giving some examples of this Hadrat Mufti Saheb goes on to explain that the basis of calculating the Qibla is the narration wherein Sayyidina Rasul-ullah (Sallaho Alaihe Wassalam) mentions that whatever is between the east and west is the Qibla. Though this ruling is for the people of Madina Munawwara, but from this we deduce that in looking for the Qibla we need not to go in to any technical issues.

The honourable Sahaba (RA) based the Qibla on some major signs which denoted upon the Qibla, without going into any technicalities, using their discretion stipulated the Qibla. Those who followed the Sahaba (RA) also accepted their discretion. Allama Maqrizi (RA) mentions that when Ahmed Tulun intended to build a Masjid in Egypt he sent some people to Madina Munawwara to find out the Qibla of Masjid Nabawi (Sallaho Alaihe Wassalam) and thereafter build his Masjid according to that calculation. This differed with the Qibla of the Masjid of Sayyidina Amr ibn Al-Aas (RA). However, the Ulama still preferred the Qibla of Sayyidina Amr ibn Al-Aas (RA) and built new Masjids in Egypt according to it.

There was a group of Sahaba (RA) who used their discretion in stipulating the Qibla of Masjid of Sayyidina Amr ibn Al-Aas (RA) despite the fact that there were astronomers in Egypt.

Thereafter Shaykh (Mufti) Shafi Usmani (HA) explains that in places where there are Masjids already built the Qibla will be based on these Masajid.

Areas where there are no old Masajid then we will follow the method of the Sahaba (RA) in calculating their Qibla (i.e. using ones discretion and looking at signs stipulate the Qibla.)

It is not permissible to use astronomical calculations in areas were Masajid already exist. Unless there is a strong possibility that the Qibla of those Masajid are wrong. In areas which do not have old Masajid then the Ulama differ regarding the permissibility of using astronomical calculations. Allama Shami (RA) narrates the Hanafi Madhab gives permission to use these calculations.

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#24 [Permalink] Posted on 10th March 2012 11:49

http://central-mosque.com/index.php/Acts-of-Worship/qiblah-direction-basics.html

Using the sun at Noon to find North

In the Northern Hemisphere the sun always rises from the east and sets in the west and at noon it is in the middle of the horizon so when you face the sun and walk towards it you will be walking South and your back will be towards North.

Using the sun and an analgoue watch outside of Noon to find North

watch21 Place your watch flat on the floor

2 Point the Hour hand at the Sun

3 Imagine an angle created between your hour hand and the 12 o/clock position

4 Then draw an imaginary line bisecting that angle and the line will represent “South” with “North” in the opposite direction.

line between the two markings and that is North

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#25 [Permalink] Posted on 10th March 2012 11:50

Using the sun and and a stick outside of Noon to find North

true-north-illustration-11 Place a stick into the ground (or use an existing object) like a Pole

2 Mark its shadow with a stone and this is West

3 Wait 15 minutes

4 Now mark the shadow with a stone and this is East

5 Draw a line between the first mark (3) and the second mark (4) and this is your West-East Line

6 Draw a straight

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#26 [Permalink] Posted on 11th March 2012 20:42
Take a look at the 10th post on page 1 regarding the sun being directly above the Ka'bah at a ceratin time, then read below.

I think I will set a reminder for these dates, as I and many others missed the chance seeing this phenomenon. Unfortunately, I had posted on the news thread a little too late to observe it.

It has been observed for centuries and reported in many books by Muslims around the world that two times a year the sun comes overhead above Ka'bah. This is observational fact for centuries, and is used to set the correct Qibla direction in places far from Makkah by Muslims for last so many centuries. Those two dates and times are:

May 28 at 9:18UT
July 16 at 9:27UT

When you observe the sun at these times (after converting it to your local time), you will be facing the Ka'bah giving you Qibla direction, because if there were a very high minaret over Ka'bah reaching up to the sky, then you will see it just like you are seeing the sun. Now, let us take a few examples. If you are in Islamabad, Pakistan (+5 hours time difference from Greenwich), the local time to observe the sun would be 2:18pm on May 28, and 2:27pm on July 16.

Similarly, if you are in Nova Scotia, Canada (-3 hours time difference from Greenwich), the local time to observe the sun would be 6:18am on May 28, and 6:27am on July 16.

If you are at a location that you cannot see the sun on the above mentioned two dates, then you can locate Qibla from the sun when it comes overhead at a point diametrically opposite of Makkah on the globe and look for the following two dates and times:

November 28 at 21:09UT
January 16 at 21:29UT

Face toward the shadow from the sun at these times (after converting it to local time) and you will be facing Ka'bah. If you can see the sun but cannot see the shadow, put your back towards the sun and your face will be towards Qibla.
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#27 [Permalink] Posted on 12th March 2012 17:37

"abu mohammed" wrote:
Take a look at the 10th post on page 1 regarding the sun being directly above the Ka'bah at a ceratin time, then read below. I think I will set a reminder for these dates, as I and many others missed the chance seeing this phenomenon. Unfortunately, I had posted on the news thread a little too late to observe it. It has been observed for centuries and reported in many books by Muslims around the world that two times a year the sun comes overhead above Ka'bah. This is observational fact for centuries, and is used to set the correct Qibla direction in places far from Makkah by Muslims for last so many centuries. Those two dates and times are: May 28 at 9:18UT July 16 at 9:27UT When you observe the sun at these times (after converting it to your local time), you will be facing the Ka'bah giving you Qibla direction, because if there were a very high minaret over Ka'bah reaching up to the sky, then you will see it just like you are seeing the sun. Now, let us take a few examples. If you are in Islamabad, Pakistan (+5 hours time difference from Greenwich), the local time to observe the sun would be 2:18pm on May 28, and 2:27pm on July 16. Similarly, if you are in Nova Scotia, Canada (-3 hours time difference from Greenwich), the local time to observe the sun would be 6:18am on May 28, and 6:27am on July 16. If you are at a location that you cannot see the sun on the above mentioned two dates, then you can locate Qibla from the sun when it comes overhead at a point diametrically opposite of Makkah on the globe and look for the following two dates and times: November 28 at 21:09UT January 16 at 21:29UT Face toward the shadow from the sun at these times (after converting it to local time) and you will be facing Ka'bah. If you can see the sun but cannot see the shadow, put your back towards the sun and your face will be towards Qibla.

Asslamo Allaikum,

I added this to the article and logged on to inform you that it has been added, didn't know that you had already thought the same :-)

Masha'Allah...This is ***ILHAAM*** which the Sunnah talks about

+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#28 [Permalink] Posted on 12th March 2012 17:40
It pleasees me to think that we think alike. Alhumdulillah.

Jazakallahu khair.

Although I am still a million miles behind you and the others.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#29 [Permalink] Posted on 13th March 2012 19:35
Alhumdulillah, this thread has proven very beneficial. Today as I was walking home from work, I walked passed my local newsagent where the shop keeper was praying Maghrib Salah at the back.of the office but very visible to everyone, Alhumdulillah.

Anyway, I walked passed the shop and saw him and felt happy for him. As I carried on walking, I got closer to my street only to realise that he was praying in the wrong direction. So I went back and asked him.how he determined the qibla, so he said he just went in line with the Masjid down the road.

I explained to him that the road curves a lot as you walk up. So I told him to double check with a compass. He pulled out his phone but he didn't have the compass on there. I won't mention the phone because he didn't like my comments on the brand. Khair, I left him happy with the knowledge that the compass is not accurate on his phone.

I took out my phone which showed qibla to be almost 40 degrees different from where he had faced. Feeling a little embarrassed, I asked him for an A - Z. I found the Masjid and drew a virtual line across, then showed him his location and confirmed the results of my phone. Alhumdulillah, no more embarrassing moments.

He was very shocked and appreciated my help and especially my methods. Alhumdulillah.

(seeing how well the compass worked, he might upgrade from his latest version phone to my slightly older phone, lol)
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
London
Brother
#30 [Permalink] Posted on 17th March 2012 23:27
Youtube Video

Visual Observation of the NE Qibla Direction in North America - Addendum
+2 -0Like x 1Agree x 1

Jump to page: