Topic Appreciation
abu mohammed
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 7th April 2017 16:18
السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته
Quote:
Once when Rasulullah (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) had shook hands with a Yahoodi, Jibraeel(Alayhis salaam) instructed him to wash his hands.

Can anyone find reference to this please?
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 7th April 2017 17:54
Interesting question.

This is from a Salafi site, but not in reference to washing the hand.

Recently i got a job and work amongst alot of jewish people. As i have to attend meetings with these people i often end up shaking hands of jewish men is this allowed?? Some jewish men know i am muslim and therfore at times dont shake my hand and at those times i am happy.. But is it allowed to shake their hands or not, to show respect?.

Published Date: 2011-10-25

Praise be to Allaah.

The saheeh Sunnah indicates that it is not permissible to initiate the greeting with the Jews and Christians, as Muslim narrated in his Saheeh(2167) from Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allah (blessing and peace of Allah be upon him) said: ““Do not initiate the greeting with the Jews or Christians.” 

The Sunnah indicates that we should respond to them when they greet us, as al-Bukhaari (6257) and Muslim (2164) narrated from ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “When the Jews greet you, one of them says ‘al-saam ‘alaykum (death be upon you).’ So say: ‘wa ‘alayk (and also upon you).” [NB: The Jews of Madinah played with the words to insult the Muslims] 

The same may also be said about shaking hands: we should not initiate shaking hands with a kaafir, but if he holds his hand out, we shake his hand. Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allah have mercy on him) said: Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allah have mercy on him) said: If this reason no longer applies, and the kitaabi (i.e., Jew or Christian) says, Peace be upon you and the mercy of Allah [i.e., it is a sincere greeting], then fairness dictates that we should respond with a similar greeting.

End quote from Ahkaam Ahl adh-Dhimmah, 1/200 

In Saheeh al-Bukhaari it is narrated from Ibn ‘Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “When the Jews greet you, they say, ‘as-saam ‘alaykum (death be upon you),’ so say, ‘And also upon you.’” If he holds his hand out to you, then reach out and shake his hand, otherwise do not initiate it.” End quote. 

And Allah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Posted via the Muftisays Android App
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 7th April 2017 18:11
Another interesting find, however this is from the Jewish point of view towards the non Jew's, i.e. the gentiles.

Quote:
Rav Haim Palachi (Turkey, 1788-1869), in a number of his works (Leb Haim, Ruah Haim and Kaf Ha’haim), cites a source from the Zohar indicating that gentiles transmit Tum’a (the Halachic status of ritual impurity) even while they are alive. As such, anytime one touches the body of a gentile, even if he simply shakes the gentile’s hand, he must wash his hands to rid them of this status of Tum’a.

However, the Peri Megadim (Rabbi Yosef Teomim, 1727-1792) noted that the widespread practice is to be lenient in this regard, and not to require washing after shaking hands or having any other contact with a non-Jew. The reason is that the formal Halachic status of ritual impurity is something that applies only to Jews. Tum’a has the potential to surface only when there is Kedusha (sanctity), and thus only Jews, who are endowed with the status of Kedushat Yisrael, are subject to the Halachic status of Tum’a.

As a practical matter, it would of course be very difficult to wash one’s hands after every time he shakes hands with a gentile, and one may therefore certainly rely on the prevalent custom not to require hand washing. Of course, one who can follow the stringent view of Rav Haim Palachi may do so, though obviously this should not be done publicly, in order to avoid enmity and ill-will between us and our non-Jewish neighbors and acquaintances.

It should be noted that one who, for whatever reason, goes to a non-Jewish cemetery must wash his hands after leaving the cemetery.

Summary: One must wash his hands after leaving a non-Jewish cemetery, but washing is not required after touching a living non-Jewish person, such as after a handshake
Posted via the Muftisays Android App
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 7th April 2017 18:29
I've read all this while searching but could not find reference to the op. May be someone can help insha Allah.
جزاك الله خيرا
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 7th April 2017 19:08
+1 -0
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 7th April 2017 23:30
وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Here is a translation of the narration. I can't mention the source though; enough said :)

This is the text from Rūḥ al-Maʿānī (5/269), published by Dār al-Kutub al-ʿIlmiyyah:

وأخرج أبو الشيخ وابن مردويه عنه رضي الله تعالى عنه أنه قال: «قال رسول الله صلّى الله عليه وسلّم: من صافح مشركا فليتوضأ أو ليغسل كفيه» .
وأخرج ابن مردويه عن هشام بن عروة عن أبيه عن جده قال: «استقبل رسول الله صلّى الله عليه وسلّم جبريل عليه السلام فناوله يده فأبى أن يتناولها فقال: يا جبريل ما منعك أن تأخذ بيدي؟ فقال: إنك أخذت بيد يهودي فكرهت أن تمس يدي يدا قد مستها يد كافر فدعا رسول الله صلّى الله عليه وسلّم بماء فتوضأ فناوله يده فتناولها»

روح المعاني - ٥/٢٦٩

________

The following senior muḥaddithīn have declared it to be fabricated:

Imām al-Suyūṭī (رحمه الله) is known to be among the most lenient of ḥadīth graders, so his mention is noteworthy.

There are some more references of muḥaddithīn agreeing with the above (Mawsūʿat al-Aḥādīth wa 'l-Āthār al-Ḍaʿīfah wa 'l-Mawḍūʿah 2/26) but what has been mentioned should suffice.

والله تعالى أعلم
+4 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
London
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 7th April 2017 23:40
Quote:
I can't mention the source though; enough said :)

When I was searching, so many links for the majlis came up and I gave up.
+0 -0Optimistic x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 8th April 2017 15:46
samah wrote:
View original post

جزاك الله خيرا
I've asked a mufti regarding this and waiting for his response.
Wassalam
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 8th April 2017 15:54
bint e aisha wrote:
View original post

It's been classified as fabricated, but if you've heard it from reliable and reputable scholars, then it will be because certain scholars unfortunately still narrate them. Knowingly or unknowingly, Allahu alum.

I won't mention names yet, but it has been discussed on the forum before and they are known to the people as pious elders!
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 8th April 2017 16:18
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

Yes, I asked respected mufti sahab if a Muslim woman is allowed to shake hands with a non Muslim woman. And he said
Quote:
It is permissible for a Muslim woman to shake hands with a non-Muslim woman. However, afterwards, wash the hands. Once when Rasulullah (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) had shook hands with a Yahoodi, Jibraeel(Alayhis salaam) instructed him to wash his hands.

Now I've asked a local mufti and I think it's always better to ask them.
+2 -0
Rank Image
London
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 8th April 2017 16:28
Reputable personalities and reputable scholars known for unknowingly quoting fabricated Hadith.

One small example and this will show you how and why laypeople will pick them up really quick and also start quoting them.

www.muftisays.com/forums/27-sharing-portal/9675-fake-tari... although in this case it was not an imposter.
+2 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 10th April 2017 12:16
Quote:
1-مَنْ صافحَ يهوديًّا أوْ نصرانيًّا فليتوضأْ أوْ ليغسلْ يدَهُ
الراوي: - المحدث: عمر بن بدر الموصلي - المصدر: الأحاديث الموضوعة للموصلي - الصفحة أو الرقم: 34
خلاصة حكم المحدث: [أورده في كتابه الأحاديث الموضوعة في الأحكام المشروعة]

2- من صافحَ يهوديًّا أو نصرانيًّا فليتوضأ وليغسِلْ يدَه
الراوي: عبدالله بن عباس المحدث: الذهبي - المصدر: ميزان الاعتدال - الصفحة أو الرقم: 1/70
خلاصة حكم المحدث: [فيه] إبراهيم بن هانئ قال ابن عدي: مجهول، يأتي بالبواطيل
- استقبل رسول الله جبريل عليه السلام فناوله يده فأبى أن يتناولها فقال: يا جبريل ما منعك أن تأخذ بيدي قال: إنك أخذت بيد بهوص فكرهت أن تمس يدي يداً قد مستها يد كافر قال: فدعا رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم بماء فتوضأ فناوله يده فأخذ بيده
الراوي: الزبير بن العوام المحدث: العقيلي - المصدر: الضعفاء الكبير - الصفحة أو الرقم: 3/160
خلاصة حكم المحدث: [فيه] عمر بن رياح لا يتابع عليه ولا يعرف إلا به

2 - استقبل رسولُ اللهِ صلَّى اللهُ عليه وسلَّم جبريلَ فناوله يدَه ، فأبَى أن يتناولَ فقال : يا جبريلُ ما منعك أن تأخُذَ بيدي ؟ قال : إنَّك أخذْتَ بيدِ يهوديٍّ فكرِهتُ أن تمسَّ يدي يدًا قد مسَّتْها يدُ كافرٍ، قال : فدعا رسولُ اللهِ صلَّى اللهُ عليه وسلَّم بماءٍ ، فتوضَّأ ، فناوله يدَه وأخذ بيدِه
الراوي: الزبير بن العوام المحدث: ابن الجوزي - المصدر: موضوعات ابن الجوزي - الصفحة أو الرقم: 2/354
خلاصة حكم المحدث: موضوع
No post ratings
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 10th April 2017 15:51
bint e aisha wrote:
View original post

What do you mean by posting this? The summary of what you've pasted here is also that the "ḥadīth" is mawḍūʿ (fabricated).
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 10th April 2017 15:53
bint e aisha wrote:
View original post

Unfortunately many of us cannot read Arabic, so please posts translations with it (same goes for Urdu or any other languages)
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 10th April 2017 16:49
samah wrote:
View original post

Yes brother, this is the response of a mufti which confirms that the hadith is fabricated.
Quote:
Unfortunately many of us cannot read Arabic, so please posts translations with it (same goes for Urdu or any other languages)

Unfortunately I myself do not know arabic. I only understood this from the above text: خلاصة حكم المحدث: موضوع :)
+4 -0Like x 1