Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
Asaaghir
Rank Image
Spinistan Throne
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 11th August 2015 01:30
السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته
I just read a thread (ummah.com) on the correct way to WRITE the name Abdullah (Abdallah)

I have the same predicament now. Alhumdulillah we had a boy and have named him Abdullah, but, I was wondering if it would be better to spell it as AbdAllah so when English reading people see the name, they see the word Allah and in-sha-Allah may even query the name for its meaning. then from there onwards it's just dawah ?

I've read the linked thread and I know what's being explained, but your advice will help me further.

Personally, although I know it's the most common way to spell it with the letter U, I don't see why I shouldn't spell it as though it's meant to make a point!

I'm thinking of sticking to AbdAllah and let it be pronounced however people feel good with.
:)
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 11th August 2015 02:07
Abdullah is correct. It is Abdallah when you add a Ya (Oh) in front of Abdullah; so you if you are calling him you will say "Ya Abdallah"; His name, however, will still stay Abdullah.

Grammar: the mudhaaf following the vocative noun is put in the accusative case.

+2 -0Like x 1
UK
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 11th August 2015 05:20
AbdAllah is literally putting two words together by doing Waqf on the first word. Abd and Allah (I'll post the Arabic from PC inshaAllah)

Abdullah is correct. Abdallah is grammatically incorrect as a name.
Posted via the Muftisays Android App
+3 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Spinistan Throne
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 11th August 2015 09:02
Baarakallah.

we opted for this beautiful name because of this narration. I wanted to get it right.

The most beloved names to Allah are Abdullah and Abdur Rahman

Ibn Umar reported: The Messenger of Allah,(saw), said, “The most beloved names to Allah the Exalted are Abdullah, (the servant of Allah) and Abdur Rahman. (the servant of the Merciful).”

Source: Sunan Abu Dawud 4949

عَنِ ابْنِ عُمَرَ قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم أَحَبُّ الأَسْمَاءِ إِلَى اللَّهِ تَعَالَى عَبْدُ اللَّهِ وَعَبْدُ الرَّحْمَنِ

4949 سنن أبي داود كِتَاب الْأَدَبِ أحب الأسماء إلى الله تعالى عبد الله وعبد الرحمن

+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 11th August 2015 11:17
Yasin wrote:
View original post

ٱلسَّلَامُ عَلَيكُم وَرَحمَةُٱللَّهِ وَ بَرَكَاتُه

Please also tell when is Abdillah used, I read somewhere that Rasulullaah (sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam) used to call a person (whom he didn't know the name of) by ibn Abdillah or Abdillah (don't remember properly which of these was it, but I think it was with ibn)

جَزَاكَ ٱللَّهُ خَيرًا
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 11th August 2015 11:44

ٱلحَمدُلِلَّه, found
Screenshot_2015-08-11-15-38-52-1.png
Downloads: 360
    [75.05 kB]
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 11th August 2015 11:48
I think its to do with vowels and sun and moon letters.

I hate myself for not knowing Arabic :(
No post ratings
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 11th August 2015 13:39
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

Say Bismillah and start.....its not thaaaat big of a mountain, in few months you will get a grip on it and from there onwards you will start flying different heights. Give it a shot;)
+0 -0Like x 2
UK
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 11th August 2015 13:49
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 11th August 2015 14:07
Its not all that wrote:
View original post

بسم الله الرحمن اللرحيم

إن شاء الله جزاك الله خيرا Hope to see the same from you too إن شاء الله

والسلام
+0 -0Optimistic x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 11th August 2015 15:46

Asaaghir wrote:
View original post

W-Salam,

Masha'Allah Mubarak to you and all your family on this Happy Occasion.

If you live in an English speaking country to plan to reside in this lands then it will either get mis-pronounced or shortened to Abd or Abdu or something like that so please bear that in mind.

Jzk

+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Spinistan Throne
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 11th August 2015 15:53
Jzk everyone.

Abdullah it shall be.

at least now I know that I can call him using different vowels. depending on context.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 11th August 2015 16:05
Muadh wrote:
If you live in an English speaking country to plan to reside in this lands then it will either get mis-pronounced or shortened to Abd or Abdu or something like that so please bear that in mind.

I'm in the UK :) so If I spelt my little ones name as Eesa Abdullah, you reckon later it will get shortened to Abdu :( Although he will be known as Eesa to his mates inshaAllah.

I went for Eesa Abdullah to counter those who say Eesa ibnullah and inshaAllah, this will be very helpful in the future.

I went for Abdullah because of the verse where Hazrat Eesa (as) calls himself "AbdUllah"

Loading Qur'aan Verse
[Eesa] said, "Indeed, I am the servant of Allah . He has given me the Scripture and made me a prophet.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 11th August 2015 18:14
Even here (Karachi) names like Abdur Rahman and Abdul Ahad get shortened to Abdul, however Abdullah is wholly pronounced, and names like Abdul Ghafoor, Abdul Shakoor, Abdul Khaliq are shortened by eliminating Abdul, sad state of affairs.

PS: This is what I witnessed around me, may be its some racial tradition. wAllahu alam.
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 11th August 2015 20:16
ibn Ismail wrote:
View original post

I've heard similar habits among Desis here, e.g. calling someone "Abdul bhai" or "Rahman bhai" when a person's name is Abdur-Rahman. It's unfortunate and we should educate ourselves and others about this.

ibn Ismail wrote:

ٱلسَّلَامُ عَلَيكُم وَرَحمَةُٱللَّهِ وَ بَرَكَاتُه

Please also tell when is Abdillah used, I read somewhere that Rasulullaah (sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam) used to call a person (whom he didn't know the name of) by ibn Abdillah or Abdillah (don't remember properly which of these was it, but I think it was with ibn)

جَزَاكَ ٱللَّهُ خَيرًا

The short (somewhat oversimplified) answer is that there are two instances in Arabic when the Ism gets Kasrah (gets put in the state of jarr): following a preposition (e.g. علَى and مِن) or being مُضَاف إِلَيْه (the noun being possessed in a possessive phrase structure).

In the example you mentioned, the word عبدِ has a Kasrah because it follows the word ابن, meaning son, so عبد is understood to be the مضاف إليه for ابن. There are a few extra rules which govern this structure which I wouldn't mention right now. The entire phrase ابن عبدِ اللّٰهِ means "son of the slave of Allāh".

As mentioned above, there are many exceptions which would be difficult to cover in a single forum post. Taking Maulana Yasin's advice might be good for you about starting with Muadh bhai's lessons on his website and on this forum. You may also want to check this folder with several resources and books: bit.ly/learningArabic.

Probably the easiest way to begin would be to go through the Madinah Arabic books along with the English translation (key with explanations of the lessons and vocabulary lists) and solutions to the exercises (in Arabic). From what I remember, Muadh bhai's lessons are based on a considerable amount of that.
+3 -0Like x 1

Quick Reply

CAPTCHA - As you are a guest, you are required to answer the following:

In the above image: What colour is the text 'Yellow' written in?