Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
Yasin
Rank Image
Unspecified
Unspecified
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 5th December 2007 14:40

Hospital staff turn beds to Mecca
Hospital beds of seriously ill Muslim patients are to be turned to face Mecca as part of changes aimed at helping patients uphold their Islamic faith.

Dewsbury District Hospital in West Yorkshire will also provide Halal meals and make changes to shower facilities.

Staff at the hospital will take part in training sessions to teach them how to help patients with their faith worship.

A Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust spokeswoman said it wanted to improve its service for Muslim patients.

This included staff positioning the beds of "very ill" Muslim patients to face the Qibla in Mecca if requested to do so by the patient.

Hospital matron Catherine Briggs said she had spoken to Muslim patients about how the service could be improved.

She said: "We always do our best to listen to our patients and are willing to adapt our nursing practices where possible to help patients uphold their cultural beliefs."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/7127029.stm

OVERWORKED nurses have been ordered to stop all medical work five times every day to move Muslim patients' beds so they face towards Mecca.

The lengthy procedure, which also includes providing fresh bathing water, is creating turmoil among overstretched staff on bustling NHS wards.

But despite the havoc, Mid- Yorkshire NHS Trust says the rule must be instigated whenever possible to ensure Muslim patients have "a more comfortable stay in hospital".

And a taxpayer-funded training programme for several hundred hospital staff has begun to ensure that all are familiar with the workings of the Muslim faith.

The scheme is initially being run at Dewsbury and District Hospital, West Yorkshire, but is set to be introduced at other hospitals in the new year.

It comes on the back of the introduction in some NHS hospitals last year of Burka-style gowns for Muslim patients who did not wish medical staff to see their face while operating or caring for them.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/27213/Nurses-told-to-turn-Muslims-beds-to-Mecca
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
UK
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 5th December 2007 19:14
MashaAllah excellent news and good to know there's still a little decency in this country.

Topic moved to "News"

Wassalam
No post ratings
Unspecified
Unspecified
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 5th December 2007 19:54
Salaam

It's mildly amusing to note the difference in reporting style between the two articles...

Classic sensationalist journalism ! < rolls eyes >

The only line I actually appreciated from the Express article was:

Quote:
One experienced nurse working at Dewsbury said: "It would be easier to create Muslim-only wards with every bed facing Mecca than have to deal with this."

< grins >

Now ain't that a mighty fine idea, eh ?

Alhamdulillah !

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Unspecified
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 6th December 2007 13:03
But then the legs would be facing the kaaba?
No post ratings
Unspecified
Unspecified
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 6th December 2007 16:59
Interesting point, jazakillah khairun.

I was very pleased to recently have studied a masala relating to the salaah of those who are bed-ridden, as I had previously not been aware of the actual method, only knowing that it was possible and necessary to perform salaah even in bed, if the situation necessitated such.

Mas'ala 3:
If one does not have the strength to perform salaah in a seated posture, then one will lie down and perform salaah. The manner of performing salaah in a lying posture is to lie on the back with the feet in the direction of Qiblah, but not spread apart. The knees are raised and the head is propped up by placing a pillow or other such support behind it. Ruku and Sajdah are performed through indication by proportionate lowering of the head. (Darr-e-Mukhtaar)

Translated from the urdu text 'Talimun Nisaa', page 113.

Getting back to the point in discussion, if a ward was customised so that all the beds faced qiblah, the occupiers would have to be rotated / rotate themselves at salaah time so that they could adopt the position as described in the above mas'alah, whilst at other times of the day, they could lie in their beds with their heads in the direction of Qiblah, thus keeping their feet in the opposite direction (i.e. away from Qiblah)

I'm sure I've come across 'rotators' - large disc-like contraptions which make swiveling in and out of bed easy for the elderly.

Alhamdulillah, it would still be infinitely easier than actually having to move the bed itself.

May Allah grant ease to all those suffering paralysing illnesses, and allow them to pass from this world in a diginified manner with the kalima on their lips and imaan deeply entrenched in their hearts.

May Allah make all of our departures the same too. Aaameeen.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Unspecified
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 7th December 2007 16:15
Ameen.

I do agree with you, but to be honest...and allah forgive me if im wrong, but, surely this would be a strain on the nurses, and a financial strain on the nhs too. Im not saying not to pray namaz while bed ridden...but surely if its not possible for the nhs to cope with such a burden then it should not be done so...after all arn't actions according to intentions?

And i must say, living in the west, we are privilidged to have such charachters who support our religion, and we should be thankful for that...In my experience the nhs has always met my needs and desires as a muslim, even without me asking...
i mean even in muslim countries such measures are not met...i am a little confused. i think its a great idea if we have the resources and strenth. But if it dusnt which i dont think it does, i dont think we should put the nhs in that position where they feel that they have too...we should use our own initiatives as muslims
No post ratings