Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
Moonlight
Rank Image
London
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 19th March 2019 12:01
25 Conservative members 'suspended' over Islamophobia

news.sky.com/story/25-conservative-members-suspended-over...

A party spokesperson says they are aware of the allegations and "action has been taken", amid a call for an inquiry.

Twenty five Conservative members have allegedly been suspended over allegations of Islamophobia, as the party fights off claims it faces a serious issue with anti-Muslim discrimination.

Among the people reportedly being investigated are a woman who said "no Muslim will get my vote" and another who vowed to "stand against the Islamification of our country".

They were reported by a Twitter account dedicated to "investigating institutional racism, Islamophobia and cover-ups in the Conservative Party".

Another said to be among those suspended was a man who wrote in a Facebook post: "I was going through a few magazines the other day down the local mosque. I was really enjoying myself. Then the rifle jammed."

A Conservative Party spokesperson said they were aware of the allegations and "action has been taken".

The complaints were registered by "Racists4ReesMogg" - a Twitter account not associated with Conservative MP Jacob Rees-Mogg nor the party itself.

Some 25 "self-identifying" members picked up by the group were suspended pending investigation on Monday, BuzzFeed News reported.

A Conservative spokesperson said: "We were aware of this matter, and action has been taken.

"Party members who have been found to have made inappropriate comments have been suspended pending further investigation."

The Twitter account that documented the complaints welcomed the news, saying making noise about the issue was "the only way to force them into action".

But it claimed the party was "getting even more opaque", noting it refused to confirm how many members had been suspended.

It has previously pointed out that Tory chair Brandon Lewis commented on allegations against specific members and confirmed they had been suspended.

Baroness Warsi, a former Conservative chair and the UK's first Muslim cabinet minister, has been leading calls for an inquiry into Islamophobia in the party.

"Years of raising Islamaphobia within my party had left me weary but the New Zealand mosque shooting tragically reminded me that this fight is essential and must go on," she said on Monday.

"So Conservatives you can duck and dive but I will keep bringing this fight to you - the longer we deny it the more we confirm we have a problem."

50 people were killed in the New Zealand city of Christchuch on Friday, when a gunman carried out attacks on two mosques while Muslims were gathering to pray.
report post quote code quick quote reply
+3 -0
Rank Image
London
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 19th March 2019 12:11
Tory chairman Brandon Lewis asked if he 'misled' over Islamphobia complaints

The Hope Not Hate campaign writes to the Conservative Party official over his claim there were no "outstanding" cases.
By Greg Heffer, political reporter

Tuesday 19 March 2019
news.sky.com/story/tory-chairman-brandon-lewis-asked-if-h...

Tory chairman Brandon Lewis has been challenged as to whether he misled anti-racism campaigners over the number of Islamophobia complaints being handled by the party.

The Hope Not Hate campaign has written to Mr Lewis in response to his suggestion, in November last year, that there were no "outstanding" Islamophobia complaints against Conservative members.

The group claimed a recent focus on allegations of Islamophobia within the party has since been shown to have contradicted Mr Lewis's assertion.

Mr Lewis said the Conservatives took "swift action" to investigate complaints but refused to "provide a running commentary".

In a letter, Hope Not Hate chief executive Nick Lowles cited various media reports, published this month, which allege Mr Lewis's office had still yet to respond to complaints at the time he made his statement that there were no "outstanding" cases.

The group wrote: "All of the complaints were made to you or your staff before you made your 'none outstanding' claim to us, and none were, according to media reports, resolved by the time you made your comment to Hope Not Hate."

The letter added: "Were you trying to mislead us, and via the statement, members of the public?

"Or are your systems and processes so broken that you did not know your statement was untrue when you made it?

"Either way, it appears clear that the time for a proper, independent inquiry into the Conservative Party's problems with Islamophobia is now.

"You can show that you take this issue seriously and call that inquiry immediately."

On 7 November last year, Hope Not Hate contacted Mr Lewis on Twitter to ask: "Hey! Any updates on Islamophobia in the @Conservatives party report?"

Mr Lewis replied: "We deal with complaints, none outstanding."

Former Tory party chair Baroness Warsi has recently accused the Conservatives of "institutional" Islamophobia amid a number of incidents.

These include the suspension of 14 party members over comments posted on a Facebook group, as well as the suspension of a Conservative council leader after he promoted a social media post that praised ex-English Defence League leader Tommy Robinson as a "patriot".

Earlier this month, Mr Lewis wrote to all local Tory officials to reiterate he takes a "zero-tolerance approach to any form of discrimination and abuse within our party" and has taken "swift action to suspend members… when and where I see it".

He wrote in a reply to Mr Lowles on Monday: "I am determined that as a party we should take the lead in fostering the principles of tolerance and opportunity for all.

"Abuse or discrimination directed at anyone because of religion, race, gender, sexual orientation or disability is totally unacceptable...

"The party's complaints process is robust and allows us to deal with allegations of behaviour that fall below our high standards.

"We take swift action when complaints are made to CCHQ, immediately referring them for investigation.

"That was the case in November 2018, and continues to be the case today.

"Investigations are rightly kept confidential and may vary in length, so we cannot and will not provide a running commentary on individual cases.

"However, as you have no doubt seen, sanctions include suspensions and expulsions."
+2 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 19th March 2019 21:25
Fact that still after the New Zealand shootings media and politicians are denying being islamaphobic I can't help thinking Al Malhama is around the corner. UK USA France Hungary China Iraq Afghanistan Palestine Syria kashmir Car Egypt and many more countries Muslims are suffering and being killed. Can't be long before the lion finally wakes up and bites back. If I have one desire in life its that Islam reign supreme before I die even if me and my fam have to suffer. Dnt really care about my own life but I cnt see Islam low. This religion came to conquer and guide mankind not to be downtrodden
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 27th March 2020 01:08
I fully share your pain, but the fact that Muslims cannot steward & utilise the Allah-sent "tools of nature" / Khalq, whilst non-Muslims more closely respect the divine gifts without waste, highlight the fact that we have to amend our thinking & situation to compete with the best in a "Halal" fashion.
Until then, we deserve to have our faces cast in the dust, undeserving even to guide an ass, fleas on a dog's posterior that we are metaphorically speaking, & even that is a mercy!

Rabbi zidnee ilman kathiran, Amin.
No post ratings