Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Muslim school - Ofsted rating after loos did not have toilet paper

You have contributed 25.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
London
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 4th December 2017 12:02

Muslim school receives 'inadequate' Ofsted rating after loos did not have toilet paper for 'cultural reasons' 

A Muslim girls' school has received the lowest Ofsted rating available after inspectors discovered that pupils were not provided with lavatory paper for "cultural reasons".

Staff at the fee-paying Park Avenue Girls' High School, in Stoke-on-Trent, said paper was available from the school office, but because most of the students were Asian, they preferred to wash rather than wipe.

But some of the girls told inspectors they were so unhappy about the situation that they avoided using the lavatory all day.

The school, which was visited by inspectors October, was rated "inadequate", with the report identifying a range of concerns, including safeguarding problems and the discovery of sectarian material on the premises.

The Ofsted report stated: "At the time of the inspection, it was not the school's common practice to provide soap for pupils' hand-washing, toilet roll in the toilets or suitable drinking water.

"Toilet paper is available from the school office when pupils request it. Pupils told inspectors that they sometimes avoided using toilets for the whole school day because of this."

But headteacher Abdul Ghafoor Salloo defended the policy, insisting the school catered for the cultural needs of the pupils.

“The children they do use the toilets and traditionally, because we are Asian, we wash, not only wipe. There are facilities for pupils to clean themselves," he said. 

“Some pupils, they avoid using toilets because they don't like going in there.

“There are facilities for cleaning yourself in the toilet - it might be hard for someone who doesn't traditionally wash to understand and washing is better than wiping clean.

“The Ofsted inspector said there has to be toilet rolls, we said there are always toilet rolls but they are not always out - so what?”

Inspectors also criticised the fact there were no shower facilities available at the school, which has 34 pupils aged between 11 and 16.

In addition the report stated: “Safeguarding is ineffective. Leaders have not ensured that the school premises are a safe place for pupils, and some checks on staff's suitability to work with children are incomplete

"Leaders' checks on attendance and safeguarding issues are not robust. Their checks lack detail and do not contribute strongly to keeping pupils safe. Therefore, pupils' welfare is not assured."

The report went on: "Inspectors found published sectarian material in a storeroom behind the school office. They made the headteacher aware of this.

"The headteacher explained that he was not aware of how the materials came to be in school.

"At the end of the inspection the headteacher confirmed that he planned to destroy the material and suitably vet all remaining published material in the school.

"Inspectors did not find any evidence that this sectarian material had influenced teaching or learning in school.

"However, material of this kind has no place in schools and leaders have not ensured that systems are in place to prevent such literature from entering the school and being accessible in a storeroom."

The inspectors said the playground was also not appropriate because it presented too many dangers to pupils.

Advertisement

"Currently, pupils are not safe in this school. Leaders have not identified the range of risks present on the school site.

"For example, inspectors found windows, both single- and double-glazed, that were broken, sharp and accessible to pupils."

But despite the various problems inspectors noted that the relationships between staff and pupils were strong and this had a positive impact on pupils' behaviour.

They added: "Pupils' behaviour is good. They follow instructions willingly and are well behaved at all times while on the school premises."

report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 4th December 2017 12:17
The school were being stingy but ofsted are clutching at straws
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 4th December 2017 15:05
sounds like the school my kids went to. they need to get their act together.
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 4th December 2017 15:38
No post ratings
Rank Image
World Of Allah
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 4th December 2017 15:42
I personally don't know what to say about the school because we don't use toilet paper, except to dry the surrounding area.

We keep toilet papers at home for those who visit, otherwise we don't use them.

It's water all the way. Sorry if that upset some of you. I don't see what the fuss is all about. Kids have been sent there knowing full well that they will be in a traditional Madrasa type environment.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 4th December 2017 16:01
ali wrote:
View original post

at home we use paper to wipe first and then use water. i understand some people only use water even though it is better to use both...

either way EVERYONE has soap in their bathrooms. so why not at school? especially when they expect students not to wipe and just use water on its own. how can they wash their hands properly without soap?

my own kids used to avoid using the toilets due to no soap and filthy facilities. when i found out i started sending them to school with their own toilet paper and soap. my nephew contracted urine infection and now his kidneys are damaged due to avoiding the toilet. give the kids proper toilet facilities! im willing to bet the staff facilities was fully stocked up.

things got so bad at my kids last school that i even offered to clean the toilets for them.
+3 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
World Of Allah
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 4th December 2017 16:15
That's terrible. May Allah give the little one shifa.

I understand your perspective. Fortunately this is a nice forum and don't want to spoil it with foul puns.

I guess, until we don't experience these little things in life, we can't fully comprehend the situation.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 5th December 2017 00:59
We already enough problem as it is with an Anti-Islam agenda from Ofsted and a witchhunt... cowboy outfits like this School dont help matters. seriously you cant provide Toilet paper.
No post ratings
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 5th December 2017 08:06
Follow the law of the land. You may not use the paper, if law demands, it must be implemented. We do mistakes and blame others for bias.
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 5th December 2017 09:50

Anonymous wrote:
View original post

Abdur Rahman ibn Awf wrote:
View original post

They are not taking attendance properly, read the report.

No post ratings
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 5th December 2017 10:15
Quote:
"Currently, pupils are not safe in this school. Leaders have not identified the range of risks present on the school site.

"For example, inspectors found windows, both single- and double-glazed, that were broken, sharp and accessible to pupils."

If this danger is not present elsewhere then we are at fault. We also must correct it.
No post ratings
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 5th December 2017 10:17
If school management is short of funds, community must come forward to sponsor. Else don't complain.
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 5th December 2017 16:26

Anonymous wrote:
View original post

How does not being able to take attendance related to being short of funds?

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 5th December 2017 16:52
Guest-144969 wrote:
View original post

If you cut your finger on the broken glass, would you remain silent, complain to the school, sue them or make a donation?

If the school cannot afford to run the school as it should be, then why open a school and expect parents to fund it further. The school should have been able to fund their essentials with the incoming fees alone and not rely on charity (if that is what you are implying)

Parents are paying a fee and they have the full right to complain should they wish to.

Unfortunately, we are in a time when charity really does begin at home and stops there! Many parents are struggling to keep up with payments. It's not like what it used to be when they had money to spare - of course, I am not talking about all parents, just those in general who are struggling on a tighter budget since the brexit fiasco.

The school is showing neglect in many aspects and Islamically that should not be tolerated, not by the staff, pupils, parent or Ofsted.

+1 -0Like x 1
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 6th December 2017 08:26
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

We have to hear from other side. We are paying fees, but is it enough to "run the show". They say, had we invested the amount elsewhere, returns would have been higher. For quality education they need to hire teachers, staff etc. Same is the issue with medical services. Let me clarify, I don't belong any management group. I am an ordinary person, a patient visiting hospital and father of a student.

So if it is a muslim school, the community (not the parents/guardians) must come forward, reduce expenses on beautification of masajid and madaris and spend it here. Ulema must declare this as charity and rewards can be expected.
No post ratings