Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Top Members

Is it easier to get a job if you're Adam or Mohamed?

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
London
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 6th February 2017 13:37
Is it easier to get a job if you're Adam or Mohamed?
By Zack Adesina and Oana Marocico

A job seeker with an English-sounding name was offered three times the number of interviews than an applicant with a Muslim name, a BBC test found.

Inside Out London sent CVs from two candidates, "Adam" and "Mohamed", who had identical skills and experience, in response to 100 job opportunities.

Adam was offered 12 interviews, while Mohamed was offered four.

Although the results were based on a small sample size, they tally with the findings of previous academic studies.

These have found British Muslims are less proportionately represented in managerial and professional occupations than any other religious group.

'Significant discrimination'

The fake candidates applied for 100 jobs as business managers in the competitive field of advertising sales in London.

After two and a half months, Adam was offered three times more interviews than Mohamed.

The two CVs were also uploaded to four job sites. Adam was contacted by four recruiters, but Mohamed only two.

Prof Tariq Modood from the University of Bristol analysed the BBC's findings.

He said: "What we've identified very clearly is that the Muslim-sounding person's CV is only likely to get an interview in one out of three cases.

"I thought the response rate would be less than 50 per cent [for the Muslim-sounding name] so it's worse than I thought, especially in a city like London.

"It's so diverse, people coming in and out of the city, from different parts of the world, looking for work, a city very hungry for talent. Yes, it's worse than I thought."

Yogesh Khrishna Davé, 56, is the director for quality at a pharmaceutical company in Slough. It has taken him decades to reach this senior role.

During the journey up the ladder he suspected he was being consistently overlooked for jobs because of his name. So he secretly carried out his own experiment.

"I entered the job market in the 80s. I put my CV in and it was disappointing. I got rejection letters.

"Someone suggested: 'Why don't you put a very English name on your CV [as well as sending one in your own name]... and see who they might offer the job to?' So I had my name, Yogesh, and John Smith. John Smith got the interview. I got rejected for the interview."

Read Full article here www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-38751307
report post quote code quick quote reply
+3 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 6th February 2017 21:44
this has been happening for years. its good to see non muslims are now acknowledging the discrimination non whites and especially muslims face in job market
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings